Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got my copies of Samurai Spirit and Pandemic: The Cure tonight, looking forward to playing them this weekend. Wonder if I should play a solo game of them to learn them, or just read the rules and wing it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mister Sinewave posted:

I got an ipad delivered today, for work mostly but was looking forward to some iOS gaming I guess.

I set it all up and it bricked after an ios update, now I wait for a box to put it in & mail then wait for another box; that was a day well spent :buttfame:

Just in time for many of the classic games to stop working when the 64 bit update hits in September. Gonna keep my old Ipad to play them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

Got my copies of Samurai Spirit and Pandemic: The Cure tonight, looking forward to playing them this weekend. Wonder if I should play a solo game of them to learn them, or just read the rules and wing it. :v:

If you do try Samurai Spirit's solo game note that it plays kinda different than a multiplayer game. It's fun, but if you're trying to learn the game for teaching purposes I recommend just setting up a 4-person game and playing as every "player" to make sure you aren't learning the wrong rules.

Also I definitely recommend playing mock-games before teaching them. It makes a world of difference. In fact just watch this old SU&SD video on teaching games; while their opinions on game design don't always mesh with mine, their meta-commentary is usually spot on.

https://vimeo.com/92337137

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

If you're uncertain, getting them out and at least playing a few turns before you have to teach it to anyone usually helps a ton. Sometimes it's overwhelming to teach a game that you are still 'uploading' and have to reference the rules for. I only really do it with certain people who I know are patient and want to just push buttons and pull levers and figure it out together.

e:fb

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good idea, I'll set em both up for three or four players and play a game for myself tonight and tomorrow. Watch that SU&SD video while I'm at it.

Of course I just know that by opening these things I'm going to create a disorganized goddamn mess when I try to box em up again :ohdear:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Buy thousands of little thick zip lock baggies from Amazon. You'll thank me later.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
Any opinions on Paperback? I've got burgle bros which I've enjoyed so I trust the designer. I think a light deck builder with a co-op mode (main thing my wife plays) would fit nicely in my small-but-growing game collection.

Also, I've only played samurai spirit briefly, and we lost quickly because one player was an idiot, but i liked the concept/gameplay that I got in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

vlad3217 posted:

Any opinions on Paperback? I've got burgle bros which I've enjoyed so I trust the designer. I think a light deck builder with a co-op mode (main thing my wife plays) would fit nicely in my small-but-growing game collection.

Also, I've only played samurai spirit briefly, and we lost quickly because one player was an idiot, but i liked the concept/gameplay that I got in.

We like word games and deckbuilders and enjoy Paperback. There's a good app that's like $3 you can try out. We play the app more than the physical copy by a large margin now. Deckbuilders are ripe for app translation, maybe more than any other game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Buy thousands of little thick zip lock baggies from Amazon. You'll thank me later.

Hell, This.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

vlad3217 posted:

The deckbuilding mechanics are adequate, but the word-making hits the same kind of thing as scrabble. I like it a lot and have found it a great intro game for the kind of people I typically play with (typically non/light gamers who will happily play scrabble or do crosswords).

Hardback looks like it's going to put slightly more emphasis on the deckbuilding.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The deckbuilding mechanics are adequate, but the word-making hits the same kind of thing as scrabble. I like it a lot and have found it a great intro game for the kind of people I typically play with (typically non/light gamers who will happily play scrabble or do crosswords).

Hardback looks like it's going to put slightly more emphasis on the deckbuilding.

Yeah I'm between paperback and hardback but given that I think I would play this with mostly non/light gamers I'm leaning towards paperback, especially since the version in his website has the expansions in it.

Have you tried co-op mode at all? Any good?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

vlad3217 posted:

I've given it a solo run (I lost on the final card) and was actually going to try it with my girlfriend later this afternoon.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Someone earlier in this thread linked to the Kickstarter for Bloody Monday, a wargame about the Napoleon's battle to take Moscow. Something about this game broke my brain (wargame AND production values?!), and I am considering both backing the game and ordering copies of two other games, Waterloo 200 and Leningrad 41. Does anyone else have opinions on these games (they've also made a currently released game called Moscow 41) that they could share before I spend an exorbitant amount of money on wooden blocks and cardboard?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good thing y'all told me to play a game solo, 'cos I've hit a question mark on Pandemic: The Cure. If I've cured a disease, what do I do with infection dice of that color in infections or epidemics? Do they still get placed, or ignored, or repicked/rolled?

(e) Nevermind, found the answer, looks like they still get placed, which is different from Pandemic. Righto!

(e again) lmao that game goes wrong fast, lost already :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 14, 2017

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

fr0id posted:

Someone earlier in this thread linked to the Kickstarter for Bloody Monday, a wargame about the Napoleon's battle to take Moscow. Something about this game broke my brain (wargame AND production values?!), and I am considering both backing the game and ordering copies of two other games, Waterloo 200 and Leningrad 41. Does anyone else have opinions on these games (they've also made a currently released game called Moscow 41) that they could share before I spend an exorbitant amount of money on wooden blocks and cardboard?

That was me. Waterloo 200 is amazingly good, and achieves the wargame/euro game holy grail of being completely diceless. It also manages to be super Napoleonic without adding a bunch of tedious rules for formation. It's definitely worth the price. I've looked through the rules for Bloody Monday and they look almost identical, though they do add dice for combat (which maybe makes sense for Borodino specifically). I don't know anything about Leningrad. In general I think they're a pretty solid company that understands light wargame design, like the Italian version of Columbia Games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

If you do try Samurai Spirit's solo game note that it plays kinda different than a multiplayer game. It's fun, but if you're trying to learn the game for teaching purposes I recommend just setting up a 4-person game and playing as every "player" to make sure you aren't learning the wrong rules.

Also I definitely recommend playing mock-games before teaching them. It makes a world of difference. In fact just watch this old SU&SD video on teaching games; while their opinions on game design don't always mesh with mine, their meta-commentary is usually spot on.

https://vimeo.com/92337137

Also thanks for linking that video, that was a good watch. I haven't introduced board games to anyone before, the "who/how/why" rule will help me frame the games nicely.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

vlad3217 posted:

Yeah I'm between paperback and hardback but given that I think I would play this with mostly non/light gamers I'm leaning towards paperback, especially since the version in his website has the expansions in it.

How is Paperback more non-gamer friendly than Hardback, you reckon? My (sparse) early impressions of the game would have me thinking the opposite.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 14, 2017

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gilgameshback posted:

That was me. Waterloo 200 is amazingly good, and achieves the wargame/euro game holy grail of being completely diceless. It also manages to be super Napoleonic without adding a bunch of tedious rules for formation. It's definitely worth the price. I've looked through the rules for Bloody Monday and they look almost identical, though they do add dice for combat (which maybe makes sense for Borodino specifically). I don't know anything about Leningrad. In general I think they're a pretty solid company that understands light wargame design, like the Italian version of Columbia Games.

I bit the bullet. Less than two years after selling Europe Engulfed and Asia Engulfed for an embarrassingly small amount to Half Price Books, I'm back on my bullshit with wargames. Blame Triumph and Tragedy for giving me one of the best gaming experiences I've had.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Could someone sell me on Diskwars? I picked up Forbidden Stars and Fury of Dracula since they are going out of print and they both turned out awesome. Was wondering if Diskwars is more of the same.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Pvt. Parts posted:

How is Paperback more non-gamer friendly than Hardback, you reckon? My (spare) early impressions of the game would have me thinking the opposite.

My sense from the designer's description in the kickstarter of the difference between the two is that hardback has a little more nuance to what all the cards do, which I think would make it harder for a casual gamer to pick up quickly.

More nuance/rules also means deeper strategy in the long term, but if I'm playing infrequently with my family that may not matter.

In the end I think I'd be happy with either, mainly wanted other opinions before I potentially order one of them.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Could someone sell me on Diskwars? I picked up Forbidden Stars and Fury of Dracula since they are going out of print and they both turned out awesome. Was wondering if Diskwars is more of the same.

It's an actual miniatures wargame, except with pogs and good rules. As in, using rulers, preconstructing armies and so on. It is most excellent and you shoulds deffo pick it up while possible, as it won't ever get reprinted.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Ciaphas posted:

Good thing y'all told me to play a game solo, 'cos I've hit a question mark on Pandemic: The Cure. If I've cured a disease, what do I do with infection dice of that color in infections or epidemics? Do they still get placed, or ignored, or repicked/rolled?

(e) Nevermind, found the answer, looks like they still get placed, which is different from Pandemic. Righto!
Sounds the same to me? In Pandemic you have to eradicate, not simply cure, a disease to ignore it during the infection step.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lichtenstein posted:

It's an actual miniatures wargame, except with pogs and good rules. As in, using rulers, preconstructing armies and so on. It is most excellent and you shoulds deffo pick it up while possible, as it won't ever get reprinted.

How is it a miniatures wargame if I'm not spending hundreds of dollars and feeling lovely about my inability to paint well?

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

One game in my collection I've never gotten around to playing is Kremlin, anyone have any tips for first time paying it? I've got the newer edition.

I've done pretty okay I think my little collection of games only has two I've not played which is Kremlin and Time Stories but we are playing the latter when I get back from travels so that's okay. Actually any tips on Time Stories too?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 14, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

Just in time for many of the classic games to stop working when the 64 bit update hits in September. Gonna keep my old Ipad to play them.

Haven't heard about this. Is there a list somewhere?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

vlad3217 posted:

Have you tried [Paperback's] co-op mode at all? Any good?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've given it a solo run (I lost on the final card) and was actually going to try it with my girlfriend later this afternoon.
Had a couple of games tonight, one co-op and one competitive.

We lost the co-op. It feels easy to fall behind and near the end you need to make high scoring words every few turns to avoid losing. Girlfriend didn't like it as much as the normal version (which she won), but she's naturally competitive with this kind of thing (we're the kind of people who will race each other to do the quick crossword). It's very easy to tweak though, since you can use a different layout or a different threshold for losing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

Haven't heard about this. Is there a list somewhere?

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/64200/impending-64-bit-apocalypse-games-may-not-work-ios

more in the comments as well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aghama posted:

Sounds the same to me? In Pandemic you have to eradicate, not simply cure, a disease to ignore it during the infection step.

Turns out you apply cured diseases even if they've been eradicated in Pandemic: The Cure. At least you still get the "treat all at once" benefit, I guess :shrug:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
So almost a full year after buying it, I'm finally getting around to trying Wrath of Dragons and I'm having a hard time with the rules. Is there a Youtube video or something I can watch to give me an example of the game flow and rules?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There was an interesting conversation on the Perfect Information podcast about board game collections recently. One of the hosts was ashamed of his large collection, but the other host was making a comparison to a large book collection. If you have a couple large book shelves full of books that you haven't read yet or will not read again, nobody gives a poo poo, but if you have a couple book shelves full of board games, the self-loathing kicks in for a lot of folks. He argued that he doesn't mind keeping games that he will only play every few years if the game was really great, because it serves as a memento of that experience and something he really likes having. Just looking at it on the shelf brings him some joy. He doesn't mind being equal parts gamer and collector, when it comes to board games.

My own personal opinion has been leaning this way too, recently. I think many people go through a binge when they first get into the hobby and make a bunch of naive purchases that might actually be worthy of shame and purging, but once you've been into it for a while and you know what you like, I don't really see a major issue with buying a game that you might not get to play frequently or not playing your games right away. I don't start beating myself up if I don't read that coffee table book on architecture the week I purchase it, either. I like playing the games but I enjoy collecting them, too. I hunted down an older copy of Tigris and Euphrates just because I wanted it for my collection. I don't get to play it as often as I like, but I just like looking at it sometimes.

This is the episode I mentioned: https://infoperfected.com/2017/04/10/perfect-information-podcast-episode-39-what-matters/

I think it's fine if people decide that they are collectors and would just like to collect.

I'm personally not a collector and have the same issue with books that I do with boardgames. Especially with kindle and ebooks it's really hard for me to justify keeping a print book at this point. It can also depend a lot on your living situation; if you know you're going to move again and again it's a lot harder to justify keeping huge quantities of games or books. If you know like 100% that you are staying in a house you own that has plenty of room, it's less of an issue to me if you just want to load a whole room up with books or games because you like having them all.

My main argument for keeping my collection small is basically that I want every game on my shelf to be a game that I 100% want to play. If I have people over and they are looking through my games, I don't want to have a mediocre game on my shelf that I don't really feel like playing for them to choose from.

I think a fair number of people who are not actually "collectors" end up buying games just for the satisfaction of buying a new thing, and that's why they feel bad bout having big collections. They are acknowledging to themselves that they bought poo poo just to buy poo poo, and they don't really have intentions of playing many games ever again. I only really get annoyed by this when it turns into people at meetups always having some new game every single week that we have to do a rules explanation and teaching game for--only to never see that game show up ever again.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i have a lot of games because i like learning new mechanics and seeing how they interact, but of all the games that i buy i only regularly play around 20 percent of them, and haven't played another 20 percent because they're a little niche for my friends. that's ok :) I still like learning about how different games are put together and what makes them work. The middle 60 percent of games still get brought out a decent amount, and I only regret a game purchase if its both bad and extremely derivative. Plus, I have games for every occasion - trading games, heavy euros, social, wargames, etc. My buying has slowed down a lot now that I've covered all of my bases, but I still pay attention to what's new and try to get games that innovate or iterate on existing designs well, like gloomhaven or The Colonists.

The pace of boardgame development is waay too exciting to get left behind on. We're lucky to have so many new games each year that manage to actually stand the test of time. When I compare this to how many times I've sighed upon playing a new video game and realizing that it doesn't do anything new or better compared to most games in its field boardgames win in a landslide.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

angel opportunity posted:

I'm personally not a collector and have the same issue with books that I do with boardgames. Especially with kindle and ebooks it's really hard for me to justify keeping a print book at this point.

Personally, I find reading ebooks on a phone or tablet to be a physically unpleasant experience--and playing games on them is nearly as bad. I'll only play boardgames online when I'm having a difficult time getting a physical, face-to-face game arranged (notable exception: getting in a quick round or two at dominion.games).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

Personally, I find reading ebooks on a phone or tablet to be a physically unpleasant experience--and playing games on them is nearly as bad. I'll only play boardgames online when I'm having a difficult time getting a physical, face-to-face game arranged (notable exception: getting in a quick round or two at dominion.games).

have you tried an e-ink reader? I'm no huge fan of reading on a tablet or phone, but e-ink readers are so amazingly comfortable and easy on the eyes now. after a long day I can still get 60-90 minutes of reading on a kindle paperwhite in the dark.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I buy a lot of games in my search for the right set of games. I am getting pickier but I should delete the KS app off my phone because I'm an idiot.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

have you tried an e-ink reader? I'm no huge fan of reading on a tablet or phone, but e-ink readers are so amazingly comfortable and easy on the eyes now. after a long day I can still get 60-90 minutes of reading on a kindle paperwhite in the dark.

I have, but still prefer actual paper for both visual and tactile reasons. Part of this might be that I'm a developer, so I already have to stare at a screen 8+ hours a day. I still play a few video games, but am much happier when I have the time to push cardboard counters and tiny blocks of wood around a table. And I like having my walls lined with bookshelves that I can browse--scrolling through a screen full of titles just can't replicate that experience. Friends and guests can also browse and I can lend them something (or pull a game off the shelf) that they find interesting. I figured that real human interaction was one of the reasons most of us enjoy this hobby (wargamers excluded, of course).

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Got a couple of games of Brew Crafters in this week. It is very much Agricola with beer. We played the basic game, no extra actions, and basic research boards since both games were teaching multiple people. The action spaces feel very tight, with someone always taking something you really wanted. First player feels incredibly important, but not so important that you can't win without it. Collaboration works very well, giving everyone incentive to complete it even though it's going to give someone else points. Overall, I prefer it to Agricola, primarily because I'm on even footing with this, where Agricola has me going against people who've been playing for years and I've only played 3 times.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm trying to make a trade with someone for their copy of Agricola but it's made by Lookout games which seems like and older version I have never seen before. Is there a significant difference between older versions and the new revised version from Mayfair?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm trying to make a trade with someone for their copy of Agricola but it's made by Lookout games which seems like and older version I have never seen before. Is there a significant difference between older versions and the new revised version from Mayfair?

Yes, there is a significant difference.

I've only played the old version, new version is by accounts better balanced, has fewer awful cards, doesn't really play 5 (not that you want to imo), dunno what else.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Valtar posted:

The older edition is actually better. It comes with pieces to play 5 players instead of only 4, and more cards. If it is a really old version it might not have the cute sheep tokens and stuff, only coloured wooden disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rutibex posted:

The older edition is actually better. It comes with pieces to play 5 players instead of only 4, and more cards. If it is a really old version it might not have the cute sheep tokens and stuff, only coloured wooden disks.

Reminder, this guy is the resident troll/idiot and you should never take his poo poo advice. The new one is universally better.