Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

Next year in a virtual Jerusalem!

I don't really understand why people say this when they could literally book a flight to go to Jerusalem if they're so eager to be there. :shrug:

WampaLord posted:

You would have to leave an empty VR headset for Elijah.

:vrfrog::hf::jewish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't really understand why people say this when they could literally book a flight to go to Jerusalem if they're so eager to be there. :shrug:

:vrfrog::hf::jewish:

I think because they are praying for Jerusalem of myth, not the one on Earth. :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think because they are praying for Jerusalem of myth, not the one on Earth. :shrug:

Oh, so the one in England?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9TbiIEpZJ8

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WampaLord posted:

You would have to leave an empty VR headset for Elijah.

:cry: I love everybody in this bar.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hey guys, remember #BeSomebody? Winner of the 2016 Pets.com Memorial "How Is This Stupid Startup Still In Business" Award? The guys whose owner got roasted by loving high school students because they clearly saw through his inspirational speaker conman bullshit?

Well, they've pivoted. Holy poo poo, have they pivoted. Now instead of being basically an app-based Craigslist services section with a metric gently caress-ton of bullshit positivity language surrounding it, they are trying to be a trade school. Except they are clearly not a trade school. First off, a trade school would focus on a particular job path. This lets you pick your path (meaning, they don't actually offer an expertise in any one area). Second, their web site claims that graduation means a "100% job guarantee", which is the kind of obviously-false bullshit that is actually illegal for a real trade school to claim. https://besomebody.com

Goddamn we are in an insane bubble right now. Things are gonna get real rough once it pops.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Snap CEO Evan Spiegel allegedly shrugged off claims that the company was giving false data to investors

quote:

Pompliano's findings eventually lead to a meeting with Spiegel and other executives, where Spiegel was "inexplicably enraged throughout the meeting," and barely read the presentation. When Pompliano asked Spiegel if he read the sections on metrics and data, he responded "Yeah, I read those; it doesn't matter."

One major point of contention was over Snap misrepresenting its number of daily active users (DAUs) around mid-2015. Pompliano said the company was telling its investors and ad clients it had more than 100 million daily active users, when its internal programs showed it only had 95 million or 97 million DAUs. The lawsuit states that during Pompliano's presentation, Spiegel said the discrepancy was "no big deal."

In addition, Pompliano suggested growing Snap's international numbers, especially where people have high-levels of social media activity. Spiegel reportedly said, "This app is only for rich people. I don't want to expand into poor countries like India and Spain."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Come on, Evan, let them snap their lesbo bhabis about how they most gently caress

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Goddamn is this man stupid

Money really fucks some people up

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

"Dick pics are only for rich dicks. Keep those filthy poors away from my app," says the CEO of a company that hemorrhages money and has never turned a profit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Have their spectacle things been doing well? I haven't really heard anything about them

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NYT rundown of all the senior Uber execs who left in March/April.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

People reacted more positively to Snap glasses than they did to Google Glass, which is not really saying much because people reacted to Google Glass like it was a venereal disease. I'd be shocked if they didn't lose a ton of money on them, especially given the outlay they must have had for marketing stunts like vending machines and pop up stores.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baby Babbeh posted:

People reacted more positively to Snap glasses than they did to Google Glass, which is not really saying much because people reacted to Google Glass like it was a venereal disease. I'd be shocked if they didn't lose a ton of money on them, especially given the outlay they must have had for marketing stunts like vending machines and pop up stores.

Well the Snap glasses don't cost $1500, don't require waiting a list to even buy, and don't try to do more than take pictures, so they don't need a big battery to last a whole day. The Glass on the other hand had all those problems and the battery wouldn't even go more than 2 hours tops of active use.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 12, 2017

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Help Im Alive posted:

Have their spectacle things been doing well? I haven't really heard anything about them

I saw one in the wild in downtown SF on Friday. That's all I've heard/seen about them since they were announced.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
My 100 percent tech bubel friend has a pair, I've never heard of / seen another pair.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I just mount my iPhone into my comically over-sized glasses.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

pangstrom posted:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Profile of Mike Judge, Silicon Valley co-creator
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/magazine/mike-judge-the-bard-of-suck.html

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

pangstrom posted:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Instagram Stories is now more popular than the app it was designed to kill

quote:

Instagram Stories now has more than 200 million users per day...

That makes that singular feature of Instagram more popular than all of Snapchat...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That headset is (indirectly) a Facebook product, even.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

gently caress, and I thought my glasses prescription was strong! :stare:

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

quote:

Spiegel reportedly said, "This app is only for rich people. I don't want to expand into poor countries like India and Spain."

Spain is 32nd in GDP per capita. around the same level as Japan, Italy, Israel and South Korea (and they're only that low because the list is padded to hell with tax havens and oil states). Im not sure this business wunderkind knows what an economy is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Another day, another Uber story

quote:

California regulators want to slap a $1.13 million fine on Uber for failing to investigate and/or suspend drunk drivers, according to an order filed by the state Public Utilities Commission, which regulates ride-hailing companies.

In 64 instances, drivers gave rides within an hour after a passenger reported that they were intoxicated, the order said.

The state requires ride-hailing companies to have a zero-tolerance policy for driving under the influence. The companies must post that policy in their apps and online, provide a way for riders and others to make complaints and promptly suspend drivers for further investigation after a complaint.

Regulators “found no evidence that (Uber) followed up in any way with zero-tolerance complaints several hours or even one full day after passengers filed such complaints,” the order said.
Uber never saw a law they felt like obeying.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Random Integer posted:

Spain is 32nd in GDP per capita. around the same level as Japan, Italy, Israel and South Korea (and they're only that low because the list is padded to hell with tax havens and oil states). Im not sure this business wunderkind knows what an economy is.
Spain isn't really poor, but it is poorer than the US (slightly under half the nominal GDP per capita according to Wikipedia).

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/852951685924143105
https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/852952756423970818
https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/852953880820404224

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

a ride hailing app with surge-pricing!!! :peanut:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its like the airlines. Sure they only lose a little each ticket, but they make up for it with volume!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Literally just copying the Pets.com business plan now.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Uber gets a dollar from investors, does some technological wizardry involving surge pricing and self driving cars, and then hands them back 95 cents. Seems like a very sound business model to me, so long as the marks don't catch on.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Baby Babbeh posted:

Uber gets a dollar from investors, does some technological wizardry involving surge pricing and self driving cars, and then hands them back 95 cents. Seems like a very sound business model to me, so long as the marks don't catch on.

I'm interested how many investors have managed to get money out of Uber. They're really hardcore about preventing employees selling stock on secondary markets, wonder if that extends to investors as well. It's very likely a lot of the continued hype is cause of how much VC money is tied up in the company so they're trying to push the company over the IPO finish line so they can actually divest.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Condiv posted:

This is exactly what it is in NYC as well. Uberpool can be less expensive, but the standard service is either on par with or more expensive than a cab. In manhattan it's usually less convenient than just hailing a cab.

Juno is cheaper right now in an effort to buy market share, but I'll stick with them even after they raise their rates because they're afaik the only marginally ethical ride share company on the planet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pr0zac posted:

I'm interested how many investors have managed to get money out of Uber. They're really hardcore about preventing employees selling stock on secondary markets, wonder if that extends to investors as well.

Uber reputedly has pretty dirty paper, so I suspect that some early/mid investors were able to sell in later rounds. In general though, I suspect everyone is stuck on the Good Ship Travis.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Juno is cheaper right now in an effort to buy market share, but I'll stick with them even after they raise their rates because they're afaik the only marginally ethical ride share company on the planet.

How do they differ from Lyft? Are their drivers employees?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Uber reputedly has pretty dirty paper, so I suspect that some early/mid investors were able to sell in later rounds. In general though, I suspect everyone is stuck on the Good Ship Travis.

If I have asked this before, I apologize. Do you feel like talking a little about what dirty paper is? Not any company's paper specifically, but what are warning signs that you notice when evaluating an investment?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If I have asked this before, I apologize. Do you feel like talking a little about what dirty paper is? Not any company's paper specifically, but what are warning signs that you notice when evaluating an investment?
there is probably a better summary but this is the best I've read (may have even had someone else post it in this thread)
http://abovethecrowd.com/2016/04/21/on-the-road-to-recap/
there are a lot of factors he goes through but I think the primary one is the company wants a higher valuation and investors are fine with that if they're essentially paying less than that valuation would suggest.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have to run, but generally it's terms that put earlier investors at a substantial advantage to later ones, including the public offering. Excessive liquidation preferences are a common example, but being able to take money out in later rounds is occasionally mooted, and I wouldn't go near those sorts of deals. (Some people consider lack of founder vesting or buyback provisions to be dirty, but I'm not as concerned about those.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Condiv posted:

Last week I was on business travel and got stuck in Atlanta because of Delta and the weather

I took a taxi to my hotel and spent about $30 in a flat fare from the airport to downtown Atlanta.

When I checked out in the morning, a guy and his family saw me dial the cab number when I was in the lobby, and asked if they could share a ride. I told him that I was probably getting a sedan and I couldn't fit 4 more people into it, but I gave him the # of the company and the cost.

He was shocked the fare was so low. He spent like $55 on getting an Uber driver the night before on his trip to the hotel, and was about to order an order, but surge pricing kicked in and bumped his ride to $40.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

exploded mummy posted:

Last week I was on business travel and got stuck in Atlanta because of Delta and the weather

I took a taxi to my hotel and spent about $30 in a flat fare from the airport to downtown Atlanta.

When I checked out in the morning, a guy and his family saw me dial the cab number when I was in the lobby, and asked if they could share a ride. I told him that I was probably getting a sedan and I couldn't fit 4 more people into it, but I gave him the # of the company and the cost.

He was shocked the fare was so low. He spent like $55 on getting an Uber driver the night before on his trip to the hotel, and was about to order an order, but surge pricing kicked in and bumped his ride to $40.

i'd imagine you expensed the ride but lol if family man doesn't take marta from downtown to the airport. hartsfield is one of the few airports in america that's actually more convenient to get to by mass transit than car from downtown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

i'd imagine you expensed the ride but lol if family man doesn't take marta from downtown to the airport. hartsfield is one of the few airports in america that's actually more convenient to get to by mass transit than car from downtown

eh, I don't blame him. I was only in Atlanta to transfer planes and I was supposed to be flying back up north with an hour layover if my original itinerary went as planned.

There were lots of people in my situation and I can't fault them for not taking public transit if they had no idea where the hell their hotel actually was or how to get back.