Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Demiurge4 posted:

So I purged 4 full planets of aliens as a fanatic purifier and it gave me gently caress all unity for doing so. Next time I'll just use the cleanse planet wargoal unless I really want the place.

Yeah that doesn't seem to be implemented yet. Armageddon bombardment is also half-implemented currently, it bombards fortifications the fastest but unlike limited/full bombardment can't kill pops, damage buildings or create tile blockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Made a race of peaceful, spiritual pigs for my first game ever. The Unbidden are feasting on pork sandwiches after a giant portal opened up right outside my borders.

RIP pigs.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
In my first save after Utopia I managed to complete the cybrex chain and the final event didn't bug out. It gives you 25 engineering research and 5 living metal resource in the system.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Ok, so how do you actually know if this is the case? I get that the system is sort of a rock-paper-scissors thing but it's like you pick one of the three and then find out 3 hours later whether you can beat your neighbors. There's no adaptability to what goes into your fleets, short of late game micromanaging ship builds and keeping them separated into fleets by damage type.

Seems a lot like in CK2 where there's a bunch of different troop types but it really just comes down to who fields the biggest numbers.

Yeah I've been thinking about this too. Can you actually see the load out of other empires ships if you're not in a war?

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

Ok, so how do you actually know if this is the case? I get that the system is sort of a rock-paper-scissors thing but it's like you pick one of the three and then find out 3 hours later whether you can beat your neighbors. There's no adaptability to what goes into your fleets, short of late game micromanaging ship builds and keeping them separated into fleets by damage type.

Seems a lot like in CK2 where there's a bunch of different troop types but it really just comes down to who fields the biggest numbers.

Wars are prolonged enough, and many gains can be reversed easily enough that you can actually refit your fleets quite easily. Or you can make multiple fleets specialized to fight different enemies and deploy the ones that are most useful. It also helps to create buffer allies who can take the first hits in any war.

I also recommend using a few corvettes, or observatory spaceports, or the sentry array, to look inside your enemy's borders and try to see their fleet composition.

Also consider trading active sensor links with people to get their war visibility.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 14, 2017

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Speaking of the Cybrex event, is it random when/where you come across those Cybrex artifacts? I've been stuck on 5/6 for a bit here and curious if it's bugged or I need to survey more systems.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

My neighbor was supposedly "Overwhelming", but had equivalent Fleet Power... Overwhelming quickly downgraded when they sent hundreds of troop transport ships into my fleet for some reason..

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Javes posted:

Speaking of the Cybrex event, is it random when/where you come across those Cybrex artifacts? I've been stuck on 5/6 for a bit here and curious if it's bugged or I need to survey more systems.

It is random, but it's also worth checking some of your already scanned systems for anomalies. New ones will pop up if you haven't completed the quest, but you don't always get the notification.

One thing I miss with the new purge system is being able to purge individual pops. I don't want to get rid of all my slave laborers, I just want to reduce their numbers so I have more room for energy generating pops.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Wars are prolonged enough, and many gains can be reversed easily enough that you can actually refit your fleets quite easily. Or you can make multiple fleets specialized to fight different enemies and deploy the ones that are most useful. It also helps to create buffer allies who can take the first hits in any war.

I also recommend using a few corvettes, or observatory spaceports, or the sentry array, to look inside your enemy's borders and try to see their fleet composition.

Also consider trading active sensor links with people to get their war visibility.

This stuff is nice and all, but its just so much easier and so much less work to just have a bigger fleet than your opponent

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doorknob Slobber posted:

This stuff is nice and all, but its just so much easier and so much less work to just have a bigger fleet than your opponent

Yeah you're right strategy is good but simply being stronger is also good. Astute observation there, chief. Big revelations itt.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

my first game after the utopia patch, i almost completed the precursor event around 2400. i only found three artifacts by scanning, the other three proc'ed as random events with decades in between
the home system appeared in an ally's territory, by which point it was the only unscanned system in the galaxy and twelve science ships converged on the system at once. someone else scanned two planets before i could and i never got the event saying i completed the quest chain.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question for you experienced players, I'm playing with a secondary species using Syncretic Evolution. My question is, on my first world, my humans have eclusively moved off, and been filled with the second species. Every planet since is one or the other, none have them living together. I don't know why this is, or how I can affect it.

Also, this is my first game trying out robots on my mineral worlds. However, I can't seem to build Robots quickly enough on them before the planet becomes saturated with actual living beings. How do I avoid this? I've tried forcibly migrating people off, but it's not letting me move them.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Zotix posted:

Question for you experienced players, I'm playing with a secondary species using Syncretic Evolution. My question is, on my first world, my humans have eclusively moved off, and been filled with the second species. Every planet since is one or the other, none have them living together. I don't know why this is, or how I can affect it.

Also, this is my first game trying out robots on my mineral worlds. However, I can't seem to build Robots quickly enough on them before the planet becomes saturated with actual living beings. How do I avoid this? I've tried forcibly migrating people off, but it's not letting me move them.

Establish a migration treaty and use impoverished living policies, factional suppression, and anything you can to reduce happiness, they should start moving out.

Alternatively, find/build a nice place for them to live and dub it a Land of Opportunity.

Alternatively, genocide.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

My neighbor was supposedly "Overwhelming", but had equivalent Fleet Power... Overwhelming quickly downgraded when they sent hundreds of troop transport ships into my fleet for some reason..

Yeah, considering only fleet power actually matters in a war I don't know why tech and naval capacity are even taken into account in the power calculation.

I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed by the traditions as a way to add flavour to your empire. Either you just pick the ones which obviously match your ethics (militarist/xenophobe + supremacy/domination, diplomacy + xenophile etc.), or I guess you could add variety by not doing that, but then having empires that make no sense at all. Considering so many things are hardlocked in this game I don't know why you can just grab a whole bunch of traditions, and having the game balanced around having them all in the late game is pretty weird.

It would be good if there was more granularity to them, perhaps by breaking down prosperity into 'industrialist/trader/farmer' for resources, discovery into the different science types and so on.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Morrow posted:

One thing I miss with the new purge system is being able to purge individual pops. I don't want to get rid of all my slave laborers, I just want to reduce their numbers so I have more room for energy generating pops.
God, yes. Disassembling individual robot pops, too. I don't want to have to colonize a new planet and resettle the things just to slap down a new unity building.

Speaking of unity, the penalty for slaves (maybe xeno slaves specifically?) is just punishing, pretty out of proportion to the limited benefits that masses of slaves actually get you. I played slaving cthulhufish and struggled to even get two trees finished, because all my integrated slave empires gave me a unity penalty greater than the base cost for my population as a whole.

Edit: oh, and there's still the maddening thing where if you turn on population controls in the middle of pop grown, the unproductive half-grown pop sticks around forever.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 14, 2017

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Slaving has always been pretty bad. There's way too many downsides (riots, happiness, having to build garrisons, additional faction troubles, diplomacy penalties) for the very limited mineral bonus they give.

By the way, have they now fixed the achievements again? As in, can you get them from Ironman games again like in 1.4?

And will spiritualist FEs now always demand that you destroy the colony on a holy world if they declare war on you? They used to be happy with kicking your rear end and killing your president once but left your colony alone.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Well yes it is "easier" if you have access to the resources which allow you to outproduce your opponent in terms of raw minerals and energy but on the offchance that you perhaps don't have that it is helpful to employ both your brain and some of the other resources the game gives you and turn them to military applications.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Yeah, considering only fleet power actually matters in a war I don't know why tech and naval capacity are even taken into account in the power calculation.

Technology determines how much the empire can extract from their territory, a high tech empire will earn substantially more from their planets and will outproduce you in a long war, also some late technology is disproportionately good against specific enemies, such as tachyon lances rendering armour irrelevant.

Naval capacity is a good proxy of nominal fleet strength, an empire might have limited fleet strength currently but they can build up to a high capacity given time, if you don't win the war quickly they will again, likely outproduce and overwhelm you. Because fleet capacity comes from spaceports also, it is a good indicator of how much war production capacity they have as well.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 14, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Naval capacity is of course how many ships they can build, tech level tells you how fast they can build up fleet strength.

The main use of these is to tell you when another empire is down, so you can kick them (when their fleet strength is lower-rated than the other two).

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed by the traditions as a way to add flavour to your empire. Either you just pick the ones which obviously match your ethics (militarist/xenophobe + supremacy/domination, diplomacy + xenophile etc.), or I guess you could add variety by not doing that, but then having empires that make no sense at all. Considering so many things are hardlocked in this game I don't know why you can just grab a whole bunch of traditions, and having the game balanced around having them all in the late game is pretty weird.

It would be good if there was more granularity to them, perhaps by breaking down prosperity into 'industrialist/trader/farmer' for resources, discovery into the different science types and so on.

I feel like traditions would feel better if you couldn't get all of them. Either by choosing one tree locks another (like Supremacy would grey out Harmony) or by having multiple choices in each tradition but only being able to choose 5 per tree. Right now, it feels like a pure meta game throw in. You build buildings to generate Unity, instead of doing things that would unify your people... You choose bonuses that have no effect on your empire other than stats (arguable for psionics/synths). Like, why can you even build a tradition of domination as a pacifist empire?

I love the idea of it, but it feels half baked.

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 14, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Is there a way to test ships against each other? Like, a way to set a fleet to a hostile faction, or to spawn a hostile fleet using a certain ship?

I'm mostly curious how many missile corvettes a single Flak/Fighter Battleship counters.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

refitting is very fast

Re...fitting?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Yeah. They cribbed from civ, but civ had mutual exclusivity in there too, which made it feel more like an actual choice.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Clanpot Shake posted:

Re...fitting?

Swapping in some point defense / shields / plasma guns depending on what you're fighting.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Clanpot Shake posted:

Re...fitting?

You know how you can order ships to upgrade at the space dock?

Guess what happens if you alter their design to switch all the missiles for lasers and then do that.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Dunno, slavery isn't really that bad. Take the harmony tree as one of your things, and between the -20 unrest and the +20% happiness (tree unlock+paradise dome) you have basically no unrest problems. Slavery actually handles unhappy factions pretty good, because when you shove them into the mines it doesn't matter what their base happiness is. Slavery diplomacy penalty is -10, if that is too big of a deal take charismatic for a +15 bonus.

The unity cost penalty from slaves for me takes 4 months to pay off currently(12 planets). The cost of my previous traditions is over 3x as much unity as base+pops+slaves cost combined. The penalty for multiple planets is the real kicker for your unity. You want to grab that exploration thing that reduces the per-colony penalty from 25% to 16% if you don't want to tank your unity after integrating your enemies.

Slaves can get +20% minerals from civic+leader, and another +10% from a building. They're similar to droids in a lot of ways, but you don't have to build them and if you use the caste system they're way more flexible. Once you'd hit synths a lot of the advantages shift the other way or even out, but that is a later game tech versus right-from-the-start. Between all my bonuses I'm at +100% on my mining planet (no planetary special), I could get +10% from an edict and I'm waiting for more trait points to get very strong for another 10%.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Made a race of peaceful, spiritual pigs for my first game ever. The Unbidden are feasting on pork sandwiches after a giant portal opened up right outside my borders.

RIP pigs.

Same here, aside from the spiritual part. Unbidden are munching through a nearby hivemind but will arrive on my doorstep after that. Don't think my 30k fleet will be much of a hindrance to them.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ah okay. I've only really been using auto generated ships. So if I design some I can swap the guns out so long as the name matches and they'll trade them out. Cool.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

Dunno, slavery isn't really that bad.
No question that it's good for mineral production, but it's painful for unity and research. It's really bad if you acquire whole planets of slaves - even if you can settle your own people on the planet, you have nowhere to put the people already there, and all those science labs are now producing with a 75 or 50% penalty.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Man, kinda wish there were a mod to make it possible to upgrade traits rather than have to go through a trait removal/replacement shuffle but it doesn't look like there is.

... well, maybe I could screw around with it and see if it's actually doable, but given that it doesn't seem to have happened yet I suspect the answer may be tending towards no. Still might be worthwhile practice if I ever try and get around to this army rework mod I keep rolling around in the back of my head.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I feel like traditions would feel better if you couldn't get all of them. Either by choosing one tree locks another (like Supremacy would grey out Harmony) or by having multiple choices in each tradition but only being able to choose 5 per tree. Right now, it feels like a pure meta game throw in. You build buildings to generate Unity, instead of doing things that would unify your people... You choose bonuses that have no effect on your empire other than stats (arguable for psionics/synths). Like, why can you even build a tradition of domination as a pacifist empire?

I love the idea of it, but it feels half baked.

Yeah, limits on the number of available traditions you could pick would probably help make the traditions system feel more meaningful--more options per tree probably wouldn't hurt either. Off the top of my head 3, maybe 4 trees at most, after which I guess just being able to directly unlock ascension perks might work.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm in a bit of a frenzy at the moment which consists of looking at the game files and thinking of what can be done in terms of mods and stuff, though I'm also often finding out that there already is a mod for the ideas I come up with (often done in a more clever way than I would have envisioned).

So today I was looking at 00_mandates.txt which defines the mandates of democratic rulers. I guess most of you have noticed that you only ever roll "orbital researcher" and "off-world miner" mandates. I seem to remember there being a "shipwright" mandate in earlier versions, which there is in the document in addition to a "peacemaker" mandate and a "xeno purger", however those three seem to have been disabled as valid at some point (there's a line added to them "always = no" under conditions for them being valid mandate picks). In addition to this there are a bunch of comments at the bottom of the document

code:
# Uplifter, uplift species X on_uplift_completion on-action

# Slavery Proponent, enable slavery and enslave X pops

# Planet Builder, construct X number of buildings on planet Y by year Z

# Planet Builder variant, 0 free_building_tiles on planet X by year Y

# More Jobs, less than 3 pops unemployed by year X

# Fiscal Conservative, X energy in store by year Y

# Population Grower, 0 free_pop_tiles on planet X by year Y
Has there been any mod that has attempted to define those unused (or other new) mandates and get them in the game? It probably isn't that hard to do, but I'd like to see if someone else has done something about this before trying to do it myself.

I really hope Paradox is in the process of hiring more coders and testers because recent experiences really seem to suggest that they are just not getting the work done, might be a challenge that they are now supporting 4 games at the moment rather than a couple of years ago when it was mostly CK2 and EU4, though I guess Stellaris and HoI4 have been in development for a while.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 14, 2017

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

No question that it's good for mineral production, but it's painful for unity and research. It's really bad if you acquire whole planets of slaves - even if you can settle your own people on the planet, you have nowhere to put the people already there, and all those science labs are now producing with a 75 or 50% penalty.

I guess the lesson you can take away from this is that the caste system of slavery is a way better option than just straight slavery. I haven't mucked around with straight slavery for a long time, and caste slavery makes all that a non-issue.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

I guess the lesson you can take away from this is that the caste system of slavery is a way better option than just straight slavery. I haven't mucked around with straight slavery for a long time, and caste slavery makes all that a non-issue.

Either purge them or use caste system imo. With caste system you can still go full slave mineral world by simply building mines but have the flexibility to let them research or w/e if you want.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I just picked up the game and all the DLC except for the cosmetic one. Any suggestions for getting stared so I don't just flounder around?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The Unity stuff is meant as a buff for Empires that want to focus on internal development instead of expansion. It makes perfect sense for internally focused empires to be able to develop a broad array of traditions to streamline and optimize their society. It's not meant to be a differentiator between different internally focused empires, it's supposed to differentiate internally focused empires from ones that are not so much and have to choose.

I really really like the current implementation. I think it actually works really well right now... with the caveat that ascension perks being based on completed trees is not my favorite mechanic, and a lot of them are boring.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

There needs to be a way to negotiate a separate peace deal or something when you're dragged along for the ride. Defensive pact guy built a frontier outpost by the FE who war declared us, and I should really be able to take a trust hit to just shove the fucker out the door instead of having to wait while the FE runs around blowing up all my poo poo.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

It's athematic for a supremacist race, though. A caste system is but a step away from citizenship.

Domestic servants are an odd implementation, too. They suck at almost everything, and don't really seem like they should be assigned to work tiles at all.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 14, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thanks.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So did Psionics get messed up techtree wise with Ascension Perks? Thinking of hopping over to Spiritualist temporarily to start that path and upgrade from regular old Jump Drives to the Psi version.

Unbidden already ate 1/3 of the galaxy before my boot met their face, so that's not a concern.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Either purge them or use caste system imo. With caste system you can still go full slave mineral world by simply building mines but have the flexibility to let them research or w/e if you want.

My most recent game was the first time I've used slavery, and I was surprised at how easy it was with caste system. Anyone who works on a farm or mine is automatically a slave, everyone else is free. Easy. Moving a slave miner to a research facility releases them from slavery -> no penalty.

The harmony bonuses singlehandedly pacify all domestic slaves, and a small standing defense army of 8 or so pacifies xeno slaves. Maybe throw a propaganda broadcast edict for the most pissed off worlds.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So how is the expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

Is there a way to test ships against each other? Like, a way to set a fleet to a hostile faction, or to spawn a hostile fleet using a certain ship?

I'm mostly curious how many missile corvettes a single Flak/Fighter Battleship counters.

The attackallfleets console command allows you to fight against your own ships. instant_build lets you get the fleets built without waiting for years, and research_technologies gives you all non-repeatable technologies. minerals [amount] and energy [amount] might be necessary to deal with upkeep (note the plural on minerals). e: instant_build seems to set upkeep to 0, so this isn't necessary.

Sky Shadowing posted:

So did Psionics get messed up techtree wise with Ascension Perks? Thinking of hopping over to Spiritualist temporarily to start that path and upgrade from regular old Jump Drives to the Psi version.

Unbidden already ate 1/3 of the galaxy before my boot met their face, so that's not a concern.

Pretty sure Psi Jump Drive now requires both Psionic Ascencion perks, and also isn't researched normally but rather is something you can get from the shroud if you get lucky.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 14, 2017

• Locked thread