Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

Ff6 had them
FF6's XP dungeons weren't good for farming, though, just for bragging rights. The problem there was that instead of fighting some moderately souped-up trash monsters, you had to fight Kefka. Five times. (Yes, you could retreat and reload but that got really tedious and was still not very rewarding.*) At the highest levels he had nearly 100K HP each time. It ended up being a more monotonous version of FF5's Gil Turtle, which at least could be defanged with Drawtaliate. So to answer this:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Better question: why doesn't every realm have xp dungeons?
It's because much of the time those XP dungeons aren't actually good.

*To clarify here, the thing was that even the ++ version of Kefka gave out less XP than Sundaily and with no additional rewards of note. And because he was a boss rather than just some trash enemy, you couldn't just bring along a collection of randos with XP-boosting RMs to get some new levels; instead you'd want to make actual preparations and use already powerful characters to kill him before he started flinging AoEs.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

Ff6 had them

He's technically still correct.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It simulates the true FF3 experience.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Because FF3 is the only realm with a character who absolutely must be leveled to maximum to be any use at all.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Getting 2 OSBs and an 8* katana has made all my 3* reforged III synergy worthless apparently.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nihilarian posted:

Getting 2 OSBs and an 8* katana has made all my 3* reforged III synergy worthless apparently.

that's powercreep!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

3* reforging is worthless from the get go unless you are really, really just starting out

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Cowcaster posted:

3* reforging is worthless from the get go unless you are really, really just starting out

Or you have 3 star +element gear for rare elements or element/equipment combos.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Zurai posted:

Or you have 3 star +element gear for rare elements or element/equipment combos.

yes if you're one of the very tippy top of power gamers who has the time and energy to track that level of detail feel free to do so.

Otherwise just be a normal person and enjoy clearing out space in the inventory for stuff that works beyond an incredibly narrow range of applications.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

yeah I'll probably be selling all my physical 3* stuff from now on, unless it has an element boost. It'll cut down on my inventory chaff, at least

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I can't get over this guy being a playable character.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pander posted:

yes if you're one of the very tippy top of power gamers who has the time and energy to track that level of detail feel free to do so.

Otherwise just be a normal person and enjoy clearing out space in the inventory for stuff that works beyond an incredibly narrow range of applications.
I wish that I'd kept the poison rods I sold a long time ago since it would give Quistis a decent weapon to use in FF8, since her BSB doesn't come on a magic stick

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually it's always good to ask questions and learn so let someone correct me if i'm wrong: aside from +element edge cases, a reforged 3* with synergy generally winds up neck and neck with a capped out off-synergy 5* right? so as long as you've collected a decent stock of any 5*'s regardless of realm you're effectively covered as far as reforging 3*'s go.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

wizard on a water slide posted:

Is that better or worse than a personification of world destroying darkness being a playable character?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Why? It's not like it's the first time.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Is that better or worse than a personification of world destroying darkness being a playable character?
That reminds me, how many characters at this point are final bosses for their respective games? Hopefully I'm not missing anyone.
  • Garland from 1.
  • The Emperor from 2.
  • Cloud of Darkness from 3.
  • Exdeath from 5.
  • Kefka from 6.
  • Sephiroth from 7.
  • Kuja from 9.
  • Jecht from 10 is debatable, since while his powered-up form is the last real boss Yu Yevon is technically after him.
  • Vayne from 12.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, IX has Necron after Kuja, but Kuja's the big bad villain and Necron's more of this symbolic/thematic thing or whatever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Well, IX has Necron after Kuja, but Kuja's the big bad villain and Necron's more of this symbolic/thematic thing or whatever.

Which is why COD being playable is so weird. Why not Xande, an actual character? I guess the answer to that is "because Dissidia" but then you have to wonder why they went with COD over Xande there as well.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

actually it's always good to ask questions and learn so let someone correct me if i'm wrong: aside from +element edge cases, a reforged 3* with synergy generally winds up neck and neck with a capped out off-synergy 5* right? so as long as you've collected a decent stock of any 5*'s regardless of realm you're effectively covered as far as reforging 3*'s go.

I can actually check this. A reforged black belt gi (iii) has 5 atk and 140 def/res with synergy. A bartz cloak has 17 atk, 110 def/res fully upgraded but not combined. Faris usb coat has 19 atk and 146 def/res.

So a reforged 3star should be ahead of non synergy natural 5star, but slightly behind natural 6star. Not really gamebreaking, but better than I originally thought.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fister Roboto posted:

Which is why COD being playable is so weird. Why not Xande, an actual character? I guess the answer to that is "because Dissidia" but then you have to wonder why they went with COD over Xande there as well.

For Dissidia: because they had the original Amano art for Cloud of Darkness, and wanted to use it somewhere, as it doesn't appear in FF3. Also, they wanted to add a woman to the villain team (even though the Cloud of Darkness is a sexless force of nature and uses plural pronouns).

In Record Keeper, FF3 should give us Dorga and Unei someday IMO.

Prism fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 14, 2017

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

There's always Ultimecia. Even though the last thing FF VIII needs in this game is another loving black mage.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
JP's recent-ish survey thing had a category for future duos wanted that Rude and Elena won, but it was multiple choice with others being Doga and Unei, and Kelger and Xezat. Feels more like a "who do you want FIRST" vote, really.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

NGDBSS posted:

That reminds me, how many characters at this point are final bosses for their respective games? Hopefully I'm not missing anyone.

Its arguable whether he counts as THE final boss, but gimmie Gaius van Baelsar from FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb3_4GGHjR8

Bonus points if his BSB makes him go Gold/SSJ-Mode like he does when he fights the WoL.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its arguable whether he counts as THE final boss, but gimmie Gaius van Baelsar from FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb3_4GGHjR8

Bonus points if his BSB makes him go Gold/SSJ-Mode like he does when he fights the WoL.

I could get behind Gaius.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

UHD posted:

There's always Ultimecia. Even though the last thing FF VIII needs in this game is another loving black mage.

Only if her OSB is just her smashing the target with a giant K

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I want an exdeath tree form costume. ;)

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Now that I've had a chance to go over my drops from the anniversary draws, can I get some advice on how to improve my physical and mage teams? I'm both unsure of what is best, and ignorant about what stacks and what doesn't.

My high end loot is:
Leon (bsb)
Onion Knight (both SSBs)
Luneth (bsb)
Pecil (bsb)
Edward (bsb)
Bartz (bsb and osb)
Gilgamesh (bsb and osb)
Terra (bsb)
Cloud (bsb2 and osb)
Aeris (bsb)
Reno (bsb)
Squall (osb)
Quistis (bsb)
Kuja (bsb)
Tidus (bsb)
Lightning (bsb and osb)
Vanille (bsb)
Alphinoud (bsb and deployment tactics)
Vaan (bsb and osb)
Agrias (everything but the osb)
Orlandu (bsb and osb)

Also Ystola wall, sheepsong, dreamstage, minfilia's last stand, paplymo ley lines, and basch's apocalypse shield.

I've been running Yshtola, OK, Agrias, Orlandu, and Vaan as my physical team. Is there a better mix now available to me? And who would make for a good mage team, particularly who has good stacking buffs?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is cid raines the last boss of ff13? i didn't play ff13

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

No, he ends up biting the dust about 2/3 of the way through. Instead some Barthandelus/Orphan merger (the latter controls most of the human infrastructure in the setting) is the final boss.

In general FF13's setting gets deeply weird and complicated once you start looking at it hard.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cowcaster posted:

Nah. He's a major antagonist for awhile but he's not The Big Bad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's actually really hard to tell if Raines was a good guy or a bad guy because FF13's story was a complete mess.

Maybe that's why his BSB does dark and holy damage.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
The best thing to come out of FF13 was Type 0. It's the only game from that entire pseudo-series I enjoyed playing.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Raines was also only really an antagonist for, like, a single scene. He "betrays" the party, monologues at them for a while, they fight him, he monologues some more, and then he dies*.

*Dying in XIII-land is a very fluid concept.

E: Unless you're Hope's mom. Then you're super ultra mega dead.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 14, 2017

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
You can die, but you'll come back to life for any future CG cutscenes, probably to die again.

I think Rosch gets killed three times?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

pichupal posted:

You can die, but you'll come back to life for any future CG cutscenes, probably to die again.

I think Rosch gets killed three times?

this sounds like the whose line is it anyway of ff games

nothing matters
everything's made up
nobody ever dies

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
FFXIII's plot makes so little sense because the CG cutscenes were done early in the dev process by necessity (since they take so long), and any story rewrites had to work with unchanged cutscenes. This is why extremely important plot information (like the entire cosmology, which is why anything happens in XIII in the first place) is in the datalog, because they couldn't add more cutscenes talking about it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Cid Raines should've been the final boss of FF13, he's a much more compelling character than the things that are and having a Cid be the main villain of a FF game would be cool

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

and having a Cid be the main villain of a FF game would be cool

FF12 came close. That Cid (the one actually named just "Cid", not Suave Latin Lover Al-Cid who literally only existed for a single cutscene) was far more "major villain" than Vayne, even if Vayne was the one that had the roided out One Winged Angel form and was technically Cid's boss (in the employment sense). He's the Kefka to Vayne's Gestahl, basically.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is it raines like rhymes with "pains" or raines like rhymes with "pines"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

is it raines like rhymes with "pains" or raines like rhymes with "pines"

"Sid Rains", if I'm to trust a cutscene I googled up in two minutes. Which means they ignored the fact that "Cid" was originally pronounced to rhyme with "seed".

• Locked thread