Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

When I had to replace my iPhone, I just selected restore from iCloud on the phone. Never hooked up to a computer. Within a few minutes the phone looked exactly like my old one, not a single thing different.

My experience with android comes nowhere close to this for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tiny Lowtax posted:

When I had to replace my iPhone, I just selected restore from iCloud on the phone. Never hooked up to a computer. Within a few minutes the phone looked exactly like my old one, not a single thing different.

My experience with android comes nowhere close to this for some reason

When I do this with Mrs. McJerkface's iPhones and iPads it's always missing a bunch of items. Most noticably her iBooks libraries.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

carry on then posted:

You don't need iTunes. It hasn't needed iTunes in something like 5 years.

Ah, fair enough, never owned an iPhone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

When I do this with Mrs. McJerkface's iPhones and iPads it's always missing a bunch of items. Most noticably her iBooks libraries.

Ironically those are exactly the sort of things that shouldn't be on a device at all and should be only in the cloud, the stuff that Google gets right.

There just isn't a reason Android devices shouldn't have the option to make a backup that gets regularly updated and sent to the user's Drive. I mean poo poo, the Titanium Backup guy got it right about a year after the platform launched. There's just no excuse for it to be so lovely.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
Is there a good place to get a screen protector film for the back glass on the Pixel? I checked Spigen and Zagg, but they only seemed to have stuff for the front.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

King George posted:

Is there a good place to get a screen protector film for the back glass on the Pixel? I checked Spigen and Zagg, but they only seemed to have stuff for the front.

:chloe:

why would that be a thing that exists?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Since when has "is it necessary for this thing to exist" been a prerequisite for someone trying to sell a thing?

(See also: phones with glass on the back of them.)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

King George posted:

https://dbrand.com/shop/google-pixel-skins

or if you have the XL:

https://dbrand.com/shop/google-pixel-xl-skins

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Thanks!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's glass. I wasn't planning on getting anything, but I noticed a small scratch recently and since the camera lens is not a separate piece of glass, I wanted to see about my non-case protection options.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

There just isn't a reason Android devices shouldn't have the option to make a backup that gets regularly updated and sent to the user's Drive. I mean poo poo, the Titanium Backup guy got it right about a year after the platform launched. There's just no excuse for it to be so lovely.
True. Grab the list of apps and the user data from each directory. Boom, it's backed up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know the glass back on my Pixel started scratching within 3 days of me owning the phone and I'm someone who has never used a screen protector on a device because I've never had an issue with the display scratching.

Pixel front glass, just as good as anything else I've used and no need for screen protector.

Pixel back glass, about as hard as butter and the corners had a bunch of micro scratches within days. It's obvious they didn't use gorilla glass on the back.

If there's one thing I would change about the design, it's that drat black glass. I would take a plastic panel of the glass one any day. If they really wanted to use glass, they should have etched it like the screen of the Kindle Voyage so it wouldn't collect and show scratches. Also, it's a really dumb move to integrate the outer camera lens into a large chunk of glass.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What is the best spam call blocking app with community blacklists that doesn't contain malware? Paid is fine.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

revmoo posted:

What is the best spam call blocking app with community blacklists that doesn't contain malware? Paid is fine.

Doesn't the Google dialer already do this? Or maybe that's only on Nexus/Pixel devices

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

revmoo posted:

I used true caller for a while and it was fine

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SB35 posted:

Doesn't the Google dialer already do this? Or maybe that's only on Nexus/Pixel devices

It's only on Google devices, otherwise you have to flash opengapps in order to use it

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Blue Train posted:

I used true caller for a while and it was fine

Their privacy policy is a disaster. I think I would prefer to pay for an app written by a US company that isn't harvesting my data.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I have a Galaxy s5. After a recent update, my phone tells me the ringer is in silent mode (it's actually just on vibrate) every time I plug in or unplug the phone. I can't tell if this is a Google thing or an operating system thing. Anyone know how to turn this thing off? It interrupts whatever I'm doing and it's annoying.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tadashi posted:

I have a Galaxy s5. After a recent update, my phone tells me the ringer is in silent mode (it's actually just on vibrate) every time I plug in or unplug the phone. I can't tell if this is a Google thing or an operating system thing. Anyone know how to turn this thing off? It interrupts whatever I'm doing and it's annoying.

Samsung.txt

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm on a trip away from my computer for a week and of course that means my nexus 9 tablet has decided to go into a boot loop after the latest update. Factory reset doesn't seem to do anything, is there anything at all I can do between now and when I can flash something onto it when I finally get back home?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The link that the Google rep sent to my email is for a refurbished Google Pixel and shows that it will charge me $836 to receive (free shipping tho lol!!)

What the gently caress kind of joke is this?

e: requested a call via the phone, and when the call came in it said "Scam Likely" lol yeah no poo poo.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 14, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ShoogaSlim posted:

The link that the Google rep sent to my email is for a refurbished Google Pixel and shows that it will charge me $836 to receive (free shipping tho lol!!)

That's how cross-shipping works. They put a hold on your credit card until they receive your broken device.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I actually am starting to believe your custom title. This is literally how device exchanges work, when you don't send yours back first. It's an authorization charge.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

You're a loving idiot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

nimper posted:

That's how cross-shipping works. They put a hold on your credit card until they receive your broken device.
He probably hosed up and used a debit card.

Again.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The charge is whatever, just unexpected (hey I don't have to ship back lovely defective products on a regular basis, gently caress me right?)

The guy on the phone is telling me that it may be a refurbished or it may be new. It's wildly disappointing that there's no guarantee. Especially when consulting this thread lead me to believe that my initial concern for replacing (getting a refurb) was unwarranted.

But hey, white knight the process all you want. I'm sure you benefit greatly from that stance and not questioning poor user experiences.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
We're sorry you're having a poor user experience in this thread. Please accept this knuckle sandwich as compensation.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

The charge is whatever, just unexpected (hey I don't have to ship back lovely defective products on a regular basis, gently caress me right?)

The guy on the phone is telling me that it may be a refurbished or it may be new. It's wildly disappointing that there's no guarantee. Especially when consulting this thread lead me to believe that my initial concern for replacing (getting a refurb) was unwarranted.

But hey, white knight the process all you want. I'm sure you benefit greatly from that stance and not questioning poor user experiences.

yes your ignorance is other people's fault

:allears:

you're loving stupid

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ilkhan posted:

True. Grab the list of apps and the user data from each directory. Boom, it's backed up.

There's no hard line about what an app's folder can contain, so you're potentially backing up hundreds of MBs of data on the regular. The backup system Google introduced lets devs opt in and specify exactly what needs backing up, and then it'll be handled automatically, but that's recent-ish

There is a system cache folder for temporary things, but the official guidelines say you should store approximately gently caress all in there

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's like you've never bought an expensive consumer electronic device before and are only now getting to see what every single one of us have to deal with when these unfortunate instances arise.

Man you must have been lucky to never have had to deal with this before now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

It's like you've never bought an expensive consumer electronic device before and are only now getting to see what every single one of us have to deal with when these unfortunate instances arise.

Man you must have been lucky to never have had to deal with this before now.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

revmoo posted:

Their privacy policy is a disaster. I think I would prefer to pay for an app written by a US company that isn't harvesting my data.

do you know who makes your phones operating system

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Is there really a way to block seeing certain posters?

I can't tell if he's a troll or not since he's an '01.

A) Thinks since he bought a phone brand new that he can sell it as a "new" phone. Total disregard to the fact that either way, he's selling a used phone since the phone is not new in box and he has personally used it for an extended period of time

B) Would have no problem selling a KNOWN defective device as "new" to supposedly up its value, you know, just to really screw over the person buying it

C) But if he sold a perfectly functioning replacement device, all of a sudden his strong moral code would make him just HAVE to disclose that it was a replacement device that came directly from Google and therefore would not make as much money selling a working device and not blindsiding some poor fool like he would in situation B

D) Cannot take responsibility on his own end at all that he waited too long when there was plenty of time during the initial return period to straight up return it to the company and order a brand new one like he wants to now or just get a full refund

E) Cannot be content with the fact that he still has the avenue readily available to get his device replaced by one that looks brand new and functions flawlessly without continuously making GBS threads up this thread

I get it, I'm not helping by again giving him attention, but usually it doesn't go on so long. Maybe if you spent as much time harassing them as you do complaining here, you could get a full refund or a BRAND NEW replacement.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Speaking of custom titles...wtf Jerk Mcjerkface.

Unrelated to lovely sa mart scams. This is hilarious
https://np.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6575nr/is_it_actually_possible_to_earn_money_from_mobile/dg8mmia/?context=10000

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

RZA Encryption posted:

do you know who makes your phones operating system

gently caress, good point. But this isn't getting me any closer to a decent call-blocker.

What is the best app, paid or not, that has a community blacklist? And can it be had without spyware somehow?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I used this when​ it got pretty bad
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greythinker.punchback
Horrible looking UI but worked well and I believe it has a known spam block list.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The best "spam caller" blocker is what I like to call "paying your loving bills on time."

In all seriousness I just flag as spam or send to VM.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

The best "spam caller" blocker is what I like to call "paying your loving bills on time."

In all seriousness I just flag as spam or send to VM.

I don't know, I get the occasional spam/scam call and all my bills are paid in advance. I'm guessing if you've had the misfortune to fall on some shady call list that doesn't give a poo poo about the do not call registry, an app is your best bet. In my case they're not common enough for me to look for a solution, but I can easily see it become a problem for somebody else.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just add all spam numbers to a contact called "spam" or whatever, and then set the ringtone for the contact to "none". I wish there were a better option, but it works ok.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The built in Google spam call filtering works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

The built in Google spam call filtering works really well.

This has been my experience as well. Also, T-Mobile has started flagging, and optionally blocking, spam calls at the network level. Just use the dialer code #662#.