Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Decided I'm bored enough to buy in, at least the standard edition--we'll see if I subscribe or stay on or whatever I guess!

I know the OP says Ebonheart Pact in the (unlikely) event I want to pvp with goons later, so that means Argonian, Dark Elf or Nord, right? I imagine I want to do spellcaster-y poo poo so I'm leaning toward Dark Elf, but how badly screwed will I be for fighty stuff later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's also like 10 dollars (or was when i bought in) to get the ability to play any race on any faction

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

Decided I'm bored enough to buy in, at least the standard edition--we'll see if I subscribe or stay on or whatever I guess!

I know the OP says Ebonheart Pact in the (unlikely) event I want to pvp with goons later, so that means Argonian, Dark Elf or Nord, right? I imagine I want to do spellcaster-y poo poo so I'm leaning toward Dark Elf, but how badly screwed will I be for fighty stuff later?

the races mean very little unless you're actually gonna do high level pvp and stuff

e: i've been playing on my ps4 and i think its a pretty good elder scrolls game, i am just lonely :(

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 9, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Dark Elves make the best Mag DK's in the game bar none. They are amazingly amazingly spellcaster-y.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aramek posted:

Dark Elves make the best Mag DK's in the game bar none. They are amazingly amazingly spellcaster-y.

Not Sorcerer? I sort of assumed Sorcerer was the spellcaster-y class. Though I guess now that I look DKs have all the fire, but I wanted lightning and stuff too :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Not Sorcerer? I sort of assumed Sorcerer was the spellcaster-y class. Though I guess now that I look DKs have all the fire, but I wanted lightning and stuff too :v:

Dunmer are top-tier for mage classes period.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Ciaphas posted:

Remember, this is an Elder Scrolls game! Every character can either be magic or stamina, just in different ways.

But yeah, go magsorc dark elf. Unleash elemental hell.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I found a list of vendors that sell basic decorations. Mostly shrubberies and trees you can't get elsewhere. Handy if you want to decorate.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
This week ESO will be free to play: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2017/04/10/join-the-eso-free-play-week
  • The event starts on April 11, 2017 at 10:00 am EDT on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, and Steam (PC/Mac) and ends on April 18, 2017, at 10:00 am EDT. (Xbox Live Gold membership required to play on Xbox One)
  • You'll have access to the full The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited base game, not including DLC game pack areas.
  • Upon account creation, you will receive 500 crowns to spend in the in-game Crown Store. Perfect for Crown Crates, unique outfits, XP boosts, and more!
  • Any characters you create, Crown Packs or Crown Store items you purchase, and progress you make during the Free Play event will carry over if you decide to purchase the game.
  • If you participated in any previous Free Play events, any characters, progress, Crown Packs and Crown Store items you acquired during that time will still be available to play as well!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

radintorov posted:

This week ESO will be free to play: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2017/04/10/join-the-eso-free-play-week
  • The event starts on April 11, 2017 at 10:00 am EDT on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, and Steam (PC/Mac) and ends on April 18, 2017, at 10:00 am EDT. (Xbox Live Gold membership required to play on Xbox One)
  • You'll have access to the full The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited base game, not including DLC game pack areas.
  • Upon account creation, you will receive 500 crowns to spend in the in-game Crown Store. Perfect for Crown Crates, unique outfits, XP boosts, and more!
  • Any characters you create, Crown Packs or Crown Store items you purchase, and progress you make during the Free Play event will carry over if you decide to purchase the game.
  • If you participated in any previous Free Play events, any characters, progress, Crown Packs and Crown Store items you acquired during that time will still be available to play as well!

Of course, right after I buy it and partially bounce off. :mad:

(not that I've given the game a lot of time yet but cmon that timing, dang)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 11, 2017

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Just picked this game up and am enjoying it so far.

@Xobraix if someone could toss me a goon guild invite sometime.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Trials this Thursday (4/14) Yes, normal, but until there is a consistant group of goons, its gonna be normal. Please sign up in our discord!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Picked this game up a couple days ago and now I wish I held off for that free 500 crowns trial thing. Oh well.

Might as well try to snag a guild invite if possible. @NZV

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Gold edition's on sale for $30. Yes? No?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yes. It's base game + 4 DLC + a free mount.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Meridian posted:

Gold edition's on sale for $30. Yes? No?

If you're gonna play teso you want the gold version; it's got the thieves guild and dark brotherhood areas as well as orsinium (which is neat).

especially since getting all the expansions is like sixty bucks normally, and that sucks!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Get it from Greenman for $20.
https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-gold-edition/

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

This works if you originally bought on Steam right?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

WebDO posted:

This works if you originally bought on Steam right?

It works, but the bonuses might not be unlocked immediately so give it a day or so before you file a ticket.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How much interest do we have in doing veteran DLC dungeons? I want those cheevos and busts.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Baron Porkface posted:

How much interest do we have in doing veteran DLC dungeons? I want those cheevos and busts.

I'd like to run through them as well for the same reason. I can tank them, but I'm only really available on weekend nights.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I still need ICP and RoM hardmode stuffs, but I really care about stylesssss.

I just need more practice on the last bosses of those 2, typically give up after a few tries on HM because it's frustrating. I'll gladly deeps things for you when I'm around on Nottaslut.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Hakarne posted:

I'd like to run through them as well for the same reason. I can tank them, but I'm only really available on weekend nights.

MF_James posted:

Yeah I still need ICP and RoM hardmode stuffs, but I really care about stylesssss.

I just need more practice on the last bosses of those 2, typically give up after a few tries on HM because it's frustrating. I'll gladly deeps things for you when I'm around on Nottaslut.

I'll roll with you guys sometime. I know both dungeons very well. If by HM you guys mean Veteran, no biggie. If by HM you mean "read the scroll for godmode" then RoM is gonna be difficult. That last 30% on Na-Kesh is nuts. Either way I still tirelessly bang my head against the wall until it breaks on drat near anything so hit me up @thefloobyest sometime!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Here's your typical vet Spindle I experience:

Burn through the entire dungeon, wipe at least twice at Whisperer HM because Wrobel said so.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Scyantific posted:

Burn through the entire dungeon, wipe at least twice at Whisperer HM because Wrobel said so.

Haha yeah. The mechanics on that fight are "gently caress you, suck my dick". Honestly, if the red ring matched up with the actual hitbox for her burst AOE thing it would be a lot better. Then again that's true for a lot of AOEs in this game so :shrug:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Scyantific posted:

this is basically CoS and I would guess RoM considering how hard the end of the fight is.

I just don't see reliably beating them because there's just random chance bullshit that can happen.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Scyantific posted:

7 minutes from hitting the first mob to getting to the whisperer....wipe 4 times...gg awesome game play

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Ahhh now I remember spindle clutch 1, it sucks dick as a melee to do that fight, you really have to pay a fuckton of attention, I feel like magicka people get a couple extra seconds to dodge. I found the best experience to be having a templar throw down shards like crazy and just roll dodge anytime the boss moves.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Magicka should have zero issues because Annulment, but :wrobel:

Anyway that was completely off-set by us burning through vICP HM in under 30 minutes (i think) with 4 unoptimized DPS (hooray for sorc shield tanking and corrosive armor).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Do we have any presence on XBONE?

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Short answer: No.

Long answer: It's complicated. there was a goon xbone guild at launch, but it quickly grew dormant and I left about two months after launch. I have no idea if it still exists or not. I left xbone ESO in November, likely for good. I had a friend come over from xbone to pc a few months back who still pops into pvp on xbone a few times a week if that's your thing. The community is pretty large, and active guilds are easy to come by. I have access to a guild bank of a long defunct guild that is full of stuff. Might could log in and get you an invite to raid it and use to your liking.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DoriDori240 posted:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: It's complicated. there was a goon xbone guild at launch, but it quickly grew dormant and I left about two months after launch. I have no idea if it still exists or not. I left xbone ESO in November, likely for good. I had a friend come over from xbone to pc a few months back who still pops into pvp on xbone a few times a week if that's your thing. The community is pretty large, and active guilds are easy to come by. I have access to a guild bank of a long defunct guild that is full of stuff. Might could log in and get you an invite to raid it and use to your liking.

I played briefly on pc, but my machine recently poo poo the bed, and I don't have the time or will to rebuild. ESO Was on sale for 10bux on Xbox so I said what the hell.

Bummer about lack of goons, but I'm glad the population is high. When I actually get into the game maybe I'll pm you about looting your bank. Thanks

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Trying this out for the free weekend. Decided to go for a nord Valkyrie sword and board, dragon knight. We'll see how that plays.

Most of all I'm glad to hear this game kept the long Elders Scrolls'games tradition of using three voice actors.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
Since it's only $10, I'm thinking about getting this to play with my wife in replace of the free version of LOTRO which hasn't really grabbed me. I haven't had a chance to try the free week yet (hopefully today) but I was wondering how the battle-leveling "felt" in PVE. Specifically I'm referencing this from the OP: "This means that immediately upon entering the game for the first time, you can travel to any region in the game, regardless of level, faction, or main quest completion status, and you won't get immediately murdered! Zenimax is doing this by basically implementing the same battle-leveling mechanics..."

I don't really like when games level the monsters with you because even if there's progression in equipment/skills, it always feels kind of grindy to me. Hard to explain, but suffice to say I'm not a fan. I like there being areas I get to go to after leveling up, so if everything is survivable from the start then there's no "special" areas.

Any opinions on how ELO handles it?

Also, I saw in a random review that the Crown Store's items are all things you can get in game, is that still true? OP made it seem like there were some unique mounts, at the least. If true, are they just cosmetic?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm excited about warden's healing abilities, sounds like very warcrafty druidry. It's gonna be pretty

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Since it's only $10, I'm thinking about getting this to play with my wife in replace of the free version of LOTRO which hasn't really grabbed me. I haven't had a chance to try the free week yet (hopefully today) but I was wondering how the battle-leveling "felt" in PVE. Specifically I'm referencing this from the OP: "This means that immediately upon entering the game for the first time, you can travel to any region in the game, regardless of level, faction, or main quest completion status, and you won't get immediately murdered! Zenimax is doing this by basically implementing the same battle-leveling mechanics..."

I don't really like when games level the monsters with you because even if there's progression in equipment/skills, it always feels kind of grindy to me. Hard to explain, but suffice to say I'm not a fan. I like there being areas I get to go to after leveling up, so if everything is survivable from the start then there's no "special" areas.

Also, I saw in a random review that the Crown Store's items are all things you can get in game, is that still true? OP made it seem like there were some unique mounts, at the least. If true, are they just cosmetic?

there's a lot of exclusive cosmetic items, yeah. mounts, hats, etc.

and yeah, if you're low level everywhere is pretty much the same, but as you level up everything gets more and more interesting skills that you can deal with in the way you've chosen for your character.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

Trying this out for the free weekend. Decided to go for a nord Valkyrie sword and board, dragon knight. We'll see how that plays.

Most of all I'm glad to hear this game kept the long Elders Scrolls'games tradition of using three voice actors.

My favorite part is that half of them already voiced all of the NPCs in previous TES/Fallout games. Didn't get enough of the two most common generic Nords in Skyrim? They're back for round two, along with "kinda whiny sounding guy" from New Vegas. Then every remaining character is voiced by either Steve Blum or Jowan from Dragon Age Origins.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

There are always special areas because there are plot relevant areas. Coldharbour ( the big bads domain ) isn't accessible until you beat the main quest for example. You also have quest chains to follow that encourage you to stick to the main path ( and like any other TES game the quests tend to be actually fairly interesting/chain in ways that you want to do them in order. ). There are also still somewhat harder random world dungeons compared to the basic stuff. It's also pretty lenient overall about what you do/how you do it, because most of the side content just rewards you with more skill points/loot, so if you start getting bored of doing x, you don't actually have to keep doing it.

Crown Store is just cosmetic stuff and boosters. You can buy a horse ingame for basically pennies. Or.....you could ride a wolf for $5. Or how about EVIL BLACK WOLF for $10. The only real worthwhile expenses are the DLC ( which is pretty pick and choose honestly. Thieves Guild adds a Thieves Guild. Don't care about joining the Thieves Guild? Congrats you don't need it. Dark Brotherhood adds the murder people guild. Don't care about that? Congrats you don't need it. Imperial City adds a smaller scale PvP zone and some endgame dungeons that continue the plot, but eh if you don't like PvP that much. Orsinium is probably the only must get for adding a whole new questing zone/tons of new stuff to do. ), and maybe a sub for the crafting bags. Without a sub crafting mats go in your basic bags, which is slightly annoying to sort through/plan around. If you sub you get a infinite crafting bag that just holds it all forever.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
I just started a character for the free weekend, gonna play all weekend and possibly buy it if i like it.
Can I get a guild invite?

I'm Magicka Templar @mantari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
How battle leveling actually works is that you get massive raw stats to compensate for lack of skill trees. It gradually wears off as you accumulate your abilities, passives etc towards full build.