Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm glad this thread has finally seen the light and admitted Nico was prety decent. Maybe one day everyone will come to their senses and admit that Max is poo poo as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Part of me wonders if Bottas's struggles are from having to deal with a car that can actually accelerate, vs whatever Williams slapped together around the Merc engine.

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm glad this thread has finally seen the light and admitted Nico was prety decent. Maybe one day everyone will come to their senses and admit that Max is poo poo as well.

Nah. Not unless he stops making podiums for a year.

Better luck next season!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Naw we got to see his driving from both his and the car behind's camera and he was just all round mediocre with flashes of really bad.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh. F2 is on.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Toto to Bottas as he's getting out of the car: "That was a pretty good Ray Charles impression."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh dear god what the actual gently caress did the mechanics think they were doing?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Holy poo poo Lance Stroll is only 18? How much did this kid's dad have to pay Williams for that seat?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

keevo posted:

Holy poo poo Lance Stroll is only 18? How much did this kid's dad have to pay Williams for that seat?

1 billion dollars.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

keevo posted:

Not enough.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

keevo posted:

Massa doesnt have sponsors.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

keevo posted:

I remember hearing the number was around the mid 8 figures. That includes paying for Williams to do private test days for him in an old F1 car at tracks around the world.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Please tell me that chucklefuck who rear ended that other car during F2 quali is VJ's son?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

No, and no.

Nico was quick in clear air but had abysmal wheel-to-wheel racing skills. He was like, and in a sense literally was, a back-marker talent wise who put in a lot of work to make up for a lack of raw talent.
He beat a Lewis who thought he could zero-effort a season and still win, and ended up being resoundingly beaten by Lewis again at the end of the season when Lewis got his game somewhat back on.

That Nico+Mercedes was enough to be WDC says more about Merc dominance and Hamilton petulance and effort than it does about Nico.

Any legit "I think he's the best driver" Nico fans still need brain surgery ASAP before it gets worse and they root for Bottas.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Also Bottas will probably be fine eventually

Yeah, he'll make a pretty good Formula E driver

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Please tell me that chucklefuck who rear ended that other car during F2 quali is VJ's son?

Gustav Malja is not related to Vijay Mallya

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How do I watch F2 in the US is it on the NBC app?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

He was like, and in a sense literally was, a back-marker talent wise

Wow, uh, no.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tsaedje posted:

Gustav Malja is not related to Vijay Mallya

Right you are, I just heard the surname spoken, and given that they are pronounced the same....

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yeah it's an entirely reasonable connection to make

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sounds like classic British racism at work (such as was directed at Our Nico)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody's claiming Nico as theirs

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

How do I watch F2 in the US is it on the NBC app?

Yeah last year they streamed the GP2 races live through their app. Not sure if they streamed qualifying or not.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody's claiming Nico as theirs

I'm sure the Finnish would gladly claim him after a taste of Bottas.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Been watching motorsport replays all day and during Super ANIME GT, all the hondas were having issues. Commentator said the engine in the NSX is developed by the same people who are doing the F1 engine. How can they be so bad at making engines?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Been watching motorsport replays all day and during Super ANIME GT, all the hondas were having issues. Commentator said the engine in the NSX is developed by the same people who are doing the F1 engine. How can they be so bad at making engines?

Yeah Honda in Super GT has been a wet fart as well. Shame cuz I like the NSX.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And the American team running them has no problems :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe the F1 car would run better with anime on it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Powershift posted:

Maybe the F1 car would run better with anime on it.

Nando would probably be happier

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Who was it having problems with NowTV? I just discovered that the default is to set it to 720p

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Norns posted:

Nando would probably be happier

from 0 to 1, i guess.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

No, and no.

Nico was quick in clear air but had abysmal wheel-to-wheel racing skills. He was like, and in a sense literally was, a back-marker talent wise who put in a lot of work to make up for a lack of raw talent.
He beat a Lewis who thought he could zero-effort a season and still win, and ended up being resoundingly beaten by Lewis again at the end of the season when Lewis got his game somewhat back on.

That Nico+Mercedes was enough to be WDC says more about Merc dominance and Hamilton petulance and effort than it does about Nico.

Any legit "I think he's the best driver" Nico fans still need brain surgery ASAP before it gets worse and they root for Bottas.

You seem very upset by it all, not every WDC can be your favourite

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nico made me gain a lot of respect for him in 2016. He's not a particularly great driver but he worked hard, capitalized on his opponents mistakes, and drove smart in order to win.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Who was it having problems with NowTV? I just discovered that the default is to set it to 720p

If you have a decent TV it will upscale it pretty well, this a NowTV box?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If Hamilton had a Rosberg work ethic he would probably be unbeatable.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Nico made me gain a lot of respect for him in 2016. He's not a particularly great driver but he worked hard, capitalized on his opponents mistakes, and drove smart in order to win.

Hell yes that last GP was brilliant for F1, hated Ham for backing him up but fair enough it added to the suspense, havnt felt like that in a GP since Vet Web and ALO in Abby Dabby

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

djssniper posted:

Hell yes that last GP was brilliant for F1, hated Ham for backing him up but fair enough it added to the suspense, havnt felt like that in a GP since Vet Web and ALO in Abby Dabby

I loved Ham for backing him up. Probably the most amount of straight up 'gently caress you' spirit he's ever shown on track. He normally fannies around doing his warfare in the media.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Any driver who wouldn't have done the same thing as Lewis in Abu Dhabi shouldn't be in the sport honestly

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And it did actually make Abu Dhabi entertaining as hell, which isn't something i thought was possible.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I remember Nico almost melting down on team radio and asking if they could have Lewis just let him past. I still don't know if that was politely asking Toto to yell at Lewis or if he genuinely didn't know why he was going so slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deepfried
Sep 20, 2001

Christian Horner posted:

He has come up with this idea to send him to Indianapolis, but he must be barking mad. It is the nuttiest race I have ever seen.

There is no testing. He is just going to jump in the car. Turn 1 is a proper Turn as well, it is not easy flat all the way around. So I think he needs to see a psychiatrist personally."

Yip, no six days of testing or rookie induction, just jumping in the car.

Christian Horner posted:

Would we let out drivers do it? No. I believe if a driver commits to a team, it is a bit like disappearing with another girlfriend halfway through the year and then coming back. It doesn't seem the right thing to be doing."

Kind of like leaving your pregnant wife for a spice girl? Atleast he didn't go back though!

Deepfried fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 14, 2017

• Locked thread