Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ImpAtom posted:

They recently retconned it so that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are no longer Magneto's kids because the Avengers.

To be fair them BEING Magneto's kids was also a retcon.

The truly dumbest part about the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver retcon is in Axis it makes a big deal about how Magneto isn't their father. (Because evil Scarlet Witch tries using a spell on their bloodline and it doesn't effect Magneto. So "lol he can't be their dad.")

Then the first arc of Uncanney Avengers is about the unity team fighting the High Evolutionary and he's Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's dad.

And at the end it's revealed he isn't their parents. Only the Vision knows who their parents were and it was too shocking for him to tell anyone. Then he gets blown up so many times that even he has probably forgotten it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sixis might be the worst crossover of recent times. That or Civil War II: We Didn't Learn the First Time.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
They never said High Evolutionary was their dad, just that he took them from their parents and experimented on them.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Sixis might be the worst crossover of recent times. That or Civil War II: We Didn't Learn the First Time.

Sixis had some fun tie-ins and minis and gave us Superior Iron Man. Civil War II has nothing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I liked that they also walked that back fairly quickly by revealing that Wanda's aunt was the previous Scarlet Witch, meaning her powers weren't the result of High Evolutionary's tinkering and oh wow this is really complicating the movie division's legal issues around mutant Avengers isn't it?

I do like that Mount Wundagore somehow managed to be the Nexus of All Stillbirths though for these events to have occurred. High Evolutionary should maybe have hired an actual OBGYN rather than relying on a humanoid cow.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

In a way, isn't the High Evolutionary everybody's dad? I live on Counter-Earth, you see.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SIXIS also gave us inverted Sabertooth which is great because now he finally has a reason to exist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

SIXIS also gave us inverted Sabertooth which is great because now he finally has a reason to exist.

I haven't read anything with inverted Sabertooth, is he still inverted? Is/was it like inverted Carnage (I liked inverted Carnage)?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Lightning Lord posted:

In a way, isn't the High Evolutionary everybody's dad? I live on Counter-Earth, you see.

Yeah, whats up with counter earth? The only High Evolutionary comics I have are the x-men annuals from that crossover event in the 80s. Did anyone ever try to fix counter earth or like, know it existed?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yeah, whats up with counter earth? The only High Evolutionary comics I have are the x-men annuals from that crossover event in the 80s. Did anyone ever try to fix counter earth or like, know it existed?

Adam Warlock died for our sins, my son.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 13, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

bessantj posted:

Who has been served worst by retconning? Has someone started out with a conventional origin story but suddenly had it retconned to where their mother is Bilbo Baggins and their father a cloned of Galactus where they used skin from his balls to clone him?
Magma from the New Mutants. Originally she was from a hidden group of Romans who were in the Amazon. Then there was a retcon which said that all the people there had been kidnapped and brainwashed (or something). Then there was a further retcon reversing that. She kinda hasn't shown up too much since the 90s though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
At one point, they turned Sam "Captain Falcon America" Wilson into an ex-pimp or maybe ex-gangster. Something that was kinda lovely.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read anything with inverted Sabertooth, is he still inverted? Is/was it like inverted Carnage (I liked inverted Carnage)?

They haven't really specified if he's still inverted, but all that happened is he went from being a total rear end in a top hat villain to basically being Wolverine, all antiheroic and remorseful about his past.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Inverted Sabertooth is super remorseful because he was a bigger monster than Logan ever was.

It seems like he's still inverted I'm Weapon X #1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't follow X-comics at all so I have no idea what "inverted" Sabretooth means here. I can't decide if it means he's always upside down or he's depicted looking like Mr. Negative.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lobok posted:

I don't follow X-comics at all so I have no idea what "inverted" Sabretooth means here. I can't decide if it means he's always upside down or he's depicted looking like Mr. Negative.

His D&D alignment was reversed. Seriously.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Why do we need inverted Sabretooth when uninverted Sabretooth is so much better

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RandallODim posted:

Why do we need inverted Sabretooth when uninverted Sabretooth is so much better

The impressive part is that whatever he used for cables completely destroyed the motorcycle but kept Wolverine intact somehow

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Endless Mike posted:

The impressive part is that whatever he used for cables completely destroyed the motorcycle but kept Wolverine intact somehow

The cables couldn't cut through his adamantium skeleton, duh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I forgot he still had his adamantium when he was depowered.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah I forgot he still had his adamantium when he was depowered.

I don't think he's depowered there, because that would kill you, adamantium bones or not.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was pre-depowering

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I don't think he's depowered there, because that would kill you, adamantium bones or not.

Because when I think about realistic renditions of injury, I think about comics!

But yeah, I guess I thought it was during that whole part when he was depowered before dying, but I guess I was wrong.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

haitfais posted:

His D&D alignment was reversed. Seriously.

Actually, he switched his Path of Enlightenment in Vampire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

At one point, they turned Sam "Captain Falcon America" Wilson into an ex-pimp or maybe ex-gangster. Something that was kinda lovely.

You can thank JM Dematteis for fixing that one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Honestly I think the ret-ret-con of Sam Wilson from Snap Wilson was the worse retcon.

Like they retcon Sam Wilson from being a guy who just so happens to be on an island full of Jack Kirby villains to a drug smuggler trying to help to being a criminal that the Red Skull brainwashed into being a guy who Cap would want to make into his sidekick and then would turn around and use him as a sleeper weapon against Cap is a fine story. Since it ends in Sam Wilson learning the truth and deciding that while he made a lot of mistakes in his past, he is more than anything he had done and all his heroism was genuine.

Plus it has scenes where he yells at people that his name is Snap Wilson, ya dig!

Then Rick Remender came along and said "no, all that Snap Wilson stuff was the sort of background that could only be created by out of touch white comic creators bigoted Nazi's. Sam Wilson has always been a perfect paragon of morality. Now watch as Sam has sex with a woman who we can't be sure if she's a teenager or not."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

Are you sure it wasn't Spiderman's marriage being nulled? (is it still a retcon if there's a really bad story explanation attached?)

I hate this entire retcon. I like that peter has grown up over the years and went from teenage problems to adult problems. It gave him character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I loved Adult Married Spider-man, and I could relate to him. I can't relate to BND/Dan Slott's weird manchild Spider-man who keeps acting like he's a teenager despite being at the youngest in his early 30s, while everyone around him has settled down.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I loved Adult Married Spider-man, and I could relate to him. I can't relate to BND/Dan Slott's weird manchild Spider-man who keeps acting like he's a teenager despite being at the youngest in his early 30s, while everyone around him has settled down.

I was kinda hoping they would fix it after the big universe mash up event. Miles Morales is the perfect teen spidey because he's a teen spidey, this would allow Peter to "Grow up" again.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, but unfortunately you just described Marvel's target audience.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Judging from the sales numbers lately, Marvel's target audience is "nobody".

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Same. Spider-Man not being with MJ is fine. I'd have been ok with divorce. I'd have been ok with her dying. I have a major problem with retconning it so that none of that even happened.

But comics so whatever. The stories I liked are all still there and eventually someone will retcon it back the other way.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

It's the diversity's fault :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

If you're going by sales numbers, this is the comics market as a whole.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I was reading some old comics in my collection and I was looking over Road to Civil War: The Cabal. So my question is this: Was there an appropriate build to the whole "Shoot Hulk into space" thing? Was there some major incident that hosed it all up and forced their hand? The comic implies it was just one last straw of an incident in Nevada with 26 dead but that seems really crazy to shoot him into space over especially when he helped save the world multiple times.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I was reading some old comics in my collection and I was looking over Road to Civil War: The Cabal. So my question is this: Was there an appropriate build to the whole "Shoot Hulk into space" thing? Was there some major incident that hosed it all up and forced their hand? The comic implies it was just one last straw of an incident in Nevada with 26 dead but that seems really crazy to shoot him into space over especially when he helped save the world multiple times.

As I recall, more than one of the Illuminati agreed that it was crazy and would absolutely backfire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

If I recall, the situation was that Hulk got exposed to... I dunno, some poo poo, and turned grey and crazy for a little bit and just started wrecking some Nevada town. The Thing showed up and started punching him until he calmed down. Apparently that was the last straw.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Haven't multiple heroes been taken over? I can't imagine this is the first time a hero was brainwashed and killed someone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haitfais posted:

As I recall, more than one of the Illuminati agreed that it was crazy and would absolutely backfire.

It was Namor.

Also lol at the T'Challa was right line, back in the good ol days before T'Challa went and joined the Illuminati and before he and Namor wanted to kill each other.

e: drat I missed this sick burn

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah the Hulk thing was written as it being more a straw breaking the camel's back situation, but nobody could really get enough justification on there to cover up the fact that they were being extremely arbitrary and everyone was going to deserve every inch of what they got when he inevitably came back.