Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i just watched the first episode of the new season and i really liked it, they've totally nailed the feeling of the original series, the commentary was funny and the movie was good schlocky garbage

if i have a critique its that sometimes jonah and tom servo sound weirdly similar?? it can be difficult to tell who's saying what sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kalan names his favorite episodes

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/best-mst3k-episodes-ranked-netflix

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is a movie I've seen on late night tv but have never seen the MST3K for it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
gently caress. Peterson's wide-eyed reaction shot from Reptilicus was someone's avatar here a long time ago, wasn't it??!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is a movie I've seen on late night tv but have never seen the MST3K for it.

What are you, some kind of anteater?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cry Wilderness is an instant classic. This movie is bananas.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkOMAQAcBKE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Hey, it's Bob and Connie Dobbs!"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Ok. The Mexican fashion show skit actually felt like an MST3k skit.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's a neat thing I've noticed, if you have the VHX version the subtitles for certain Moon 13 breaks appear to be either from different episodes or earlier jokes that weren't used in the final version for a couple of episodes. It's weird, because others are perfectly fine. I'd assume the Netflix ones have the same subtitles and they were done by transcribing vs just using a different script submitted.

Cardboard Box posted:

if i have a critique its that sometimes jonah and tom servo sound weirdly similar?? it can be difficult to tell who's saying what sometimes

I had that at first, but it was more everyone, I think it comes with just getting used to the new voices.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 14, 2017

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/CarvelIceCream/status/852983632968859648

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kids love him!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Patton finally hit the big-time.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

please, God, let them start doing specials where they riff on clips of Netflix originals. I'd actually watch part of those Adam Sandler films.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I can't believe I caught the Improv Everywhere joke.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ElliottKalan/status/852887062969757696

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm loving this! The opening was extremely cheesy, but the host segments have always been hit or miss, and once Kinga kicked in and started singing the theme song with the backup skeleton band, and Jonah just looked on incredulously, I was on-board. The riffs make it feel like the old show. I don't feel like they're too fast-paced so far, but they do feel a little more rehearsed, which I think is just a facet of how it was recorded. If they get another season, they'll have had more practice, and hopefully won't have to do the whole thing over the course of like a week. It's a pretty minor thing.

I don't think Jonah and Servo sound too similar. I actually think Baron kind of nails Kevin Murphy as much as anyone can, Jonah sounds a bit like Weinstein Servo. They're just voices we're not used to yet. I think Jonah's enthusiasm changes the dynamic a little, because Joel was so sleepy-voiced and Mike was generally relaxed and understated, which is maybe why things seem mor frantic than before; the whole show is a little more manic. It's not bad, just a little different.

New door sequence is great. Is got this stop-motion, almost claymation look. Everything is still homemade and clunky.

So many good lines already. Oh great, more bones. :rolleyes: This track in the score is called "microscope mischief.". And I thought the monster rap was fun.

MST3K is back!!

e: Peterson is the new Toblerone.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 14, 2017

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

X-O posted:

I thought the movie riffing was really strong for a first episode. All of the host segments left much to be desired though. It just didn't click with me at all.

Felt the same. The host segments have also been slightly awkward... But... Yeah... I found myself just fast forwarding most of the host stuff so far

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

:lol: at Dr. Pee Wee Kissinger

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
boy is Starcrash something

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So you want to have fondu? It being the 70s and all.

I love the way they censored boobs in Avalanche.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
There was a "piled high" riff in there and I couldn't help but think of the old Doobie

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

OK, Cry wilderness is is a instant classic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On the one hand, I want to watch the eps in order, on the other hand, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom sounds amazing

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

2DCAT posted:

There was a "piled high" riff in there and I couldn't help but think of the old Doobie

If I knew how to Photoshop stuff, I'd put the shadowrama over that picture of the doobie dogs flying into heaven

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The first episode was ok, the jokes were a little too frantic and the rather "interesting" editing techniques the movie used were hilarious.

Cry Wilderness through, by god that was phenomenal, easily a top 5 favorite ep and how hilariously badly edited that movie was and the plot going off the rails several times and doing loop de loops, it had me in stiches.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
oh my god the animal voices in cry wilderness are KILLING ME

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Spiderman: The Monster, not the Superhero

every one of those those fake movie titles are gold.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

THe one thing I need to get use to though is the show being shown at a modern aspect ratio instead of 4:3 It makes the SOL seem so BIG.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigRed0427 posted:

THe one thing I need to get use to though is the show being shown at a modern aspect ratio instead of 4:3 It makes the SOL seem so BIG.

Though cropping still occurs: Yonggary being the most prominent example.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Cry Wilderness is loving bonkers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't know why people hate Felicia Day so much, she captures the try-hard, over-the-top awkwardness of Dr. Forester and Pearl perfectly. What the hell is the thing with the bubbles that keep popping up on the screen though? It's a little distracting.

e: holy poo poo, Cry Wilderness is a weird-rear end movie

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

"How is the bobcat is out of focus but everything around him isn't?"

Lmao. Episode 2 is much better than episode 1. Much less frantic.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Jesus, Caroline Munro :swoon:

But why didn't Luigi C-*ahem* "Lewis Coates" let her use her actual accent?

Also holy poo poo, I need an MP3 of the UFO song right now.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It took a while for me to pin what makes Jonah different from the other two hosts, and it's definitely his energy. He's a bit more pumped up although not overly so.

Bursting into song during Starcrasher is pretty great. :allears:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know why people hate Felicia Day so much, she captures the try-hard, over-the-top awkwardness of Dr. Forester and Pearl perfectly. What the hell is the thing with the bubbles that keep popping up on the screen though? It's a little distracting.

I think the hate towards her is more from the "Ethics in Game Journalism" Crowd As for the Bubbles, I think it's suppose to be all her visual tech is liquid based.

Edit: Is Pearl's clone actually Mary Jo?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Bicyclops posted:

What the hell is the thing with the bubbles that keep popping up on the screen though? It's a little distracting.

I assumed it's the "liquid video" media thing that is Kinga's invention. They talk about it a couple of times over the first few episodes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know why people hate Felicia Day so much

I haven't seen too much of that, but she's real good. Better than Patton Oswalt. From what I know about the internet, there was always going to be a certain subset of people making GBS threads on her no matter how she played it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

In CW it's masking a cut I guess, so the clock gag probably needed some kind of edit.

But yeah I like Day as Kinga. She has a good "slightly crazy" vibe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This is like someone mixed Night of the Hunter with Earthbound with Manos: Hands of Fate. The bizarre dubbing for no reason, the weird magic monster, the Grumpy Mr. Wilson who's in charge of the weird John Irving-y boarding school... It's just packed with weirdness.

"This is like if Bob Ross painted an action sequence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everyone's perfect. This was so wonderfully cast.