Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I dont like ledo's hammer. It's too far and blocks my view. It also really eats into my weight capacity. I had to switch to vordt's to deal with gael

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ledo and his hammer are the Mary Sue of knights and weapons.

"Oh and this Silver Knight was so cool, he was friends with the giants, and Havel, and had the biggest bestest hammer ever."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The silver knights worked with giants and Havel all the time

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

True, but the hammer description acts like actually being friends with them was an accomplishment.

Apparently Havel was not a friendly fellow!

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 14, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Well a silver knight that likes the huge bashing poo poo that Havel and giants used is unquie at least. But his peers probably thought he was a pleb that hung out with inferior castes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

Maybe so. The wolf pack AI in Ashes of Ariandel is fun and all but it gets a bit annoying when you're just trying to make it through the area without being all that bothered by them.
I actually loving hate that wolf pack lmao

but when I went through it I was still using a thrall axe and having a bad time in general

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

True, but the hammer description acts like actually being friends with them was an accomplishment.

The story of Havel helping the dragon with its toothache is one of the most endearing stories found in the Dark Souls canon,

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah the Mana system sucks and is only a step up compared to the vancian nonsense.
They're there so noncasters have something to do with Mana, but they don't need spell slots so they'll always have poo poo Mana. They could have big stamina drains instead probably.
Or MP gained by raising attunement could be reduced in exchange for gaining a bit of MP from leveling period. That way casters have roughly the same max MP, but other characters have a bit more to use weapon arts with.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ledo's hammer coming from a silver knight is stupid because none of Gwyn's knights, black or silver, wield blunt weapons. Then this one random fucker in the DLC is a silver knight with a massive hammer for no reason.

And here I am thinking, why the gently caress can we get this hammer but not the swords and spears the silver knights in Anor Londo use???

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Maybe that's the joke?

"You want Silver Knight weapons? Here you go!"

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Internet Kraken posted:

Ledo's hammer coming from a silver knight is stupid because none of Gwyn's knights, black or silver, wield blunt weapons. Then this one random fucker in the DLC is a silver knight with a massive hammer for no reason.

And here I am thinking, why the gently caress can we get this hammer but not the swords and spears the silver knights in Anor Londo use???

I think that's kind of the point of that character. He's "eccentric". The UI for the armor he was supposed to wear is still in the game, but I guess they didn't get to finish it. He was supposed to have antlers instead of wings on his helmet, further driving the "he's so zany!" point home:

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 14, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm gonna choose to believe that he isn't an actual silver knight but just a crazy human who really, really wanted to be one. Cause his behavior his so out of line with the knights of Gwyn that from a lore standpoint it irritates me. These were guys so mindlessly loyal that they'll keep guarding the place they were stationed in after the god they were supposed to be protecting got eaten by a goop man. There doesn't seem to be any room for eccentrics in their order.

Also Ledo is too short for a silver knight :colbert:

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Whoever he is, I want his armor.

And my goddamn Silver Knight sword.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Tallgeese posted:

Anyone who took the Master Key in DS1 can confirm this.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm gonna choose to believe that he isn't an actual silver knight but just a crazy human who really, really wanted to be one. Cause his behavior his so out of line with the knights of Gwyn that from a lore standpoint it irritates me. These were guys so mindlessly loyal that they'll keep guarding the place they were stationed in after the god they were supposed to be protecting got eaten by a goop man. There doesn't seem to be any room for eccentrics in their order.

Also Ledo is too short for a silver knight :colbert:

Well he's a bad silver knight if he is one because why else would his dumb rear end end up in the ringed city. Another invader is Alva. Who's entire story is how much of a gently caress up he is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Now that you mention it, it is weird that Ledo is an invader. The other two invaders are Alva and Eygon, both of whom have stories told by the locust men that tie into the themes of the DLC. They are also both characters with prior appearances in the setting.

Then there's Ledo who is just, uh, there. No real story to him.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't know wtf happened with my Ledo's AI but it was the easiest invasion I've ever had because he was just constantly rolling. Dude attacked like, twice but only because I forced him into a corner.

Eccentric seemed like an understatement.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Who is the daughter who invades you in the intended Graves? Does that person have any story?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

She's a student of the crystal sages. That much we know.

The rest is the implications of her being there, which are caught up in the quagmire of what the hell is going on with that place

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm level 30 / +2, where do I go to get blue cop summoned?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

mary had a little clam posted:

I always do a No Shield, No Summon Two-Hander playthru on Souls games. For DS3, I decided to do that on NG+ with Ledo's Hammer. Not exactly a pure skill exercise this way, but whatever.

Ledo's Hammer+5 shits all over every enemy and boss, forever and ever amen. I'm SL125, so I have plenty of stamina and equip weight, so I'm a poise monster and a multi-swing motherfucker and just a specter of doom for the inhabitants of Lothric. So far, the most trouble I had was Abyss Walkers until I just facetanked phase 2 and went shot for shot. Sullevayn gave me a little trouble but the Spin2Win helps make fast work of his shadow. The only boss I'm not really looking forward to is Aldritch, just because it's my least favorite fight in the game.

If you want to do a victory lap of DS3 where you feel like the baddest person on the planet, by all means do a Ledorun.

Ledo's hammer will absolutely ruin other players in PvP too. Lots of people just can't cope with the spin at all.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

well i just got ten summons in a row for the crystal sage. easy sunlight tokens galore

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Tallgeese posted:

Ledo and his hammer are the Mary Sue of knights and weapons.

"Oh and this Silver Knight was so cool, he was friends with the giants, and Havel, and had the biggest bestest hammer ever."

If anyone is a Mary Sue in the DS games, it's freaking Artorias:

- He's one of the four ultra-badass knight gods with a special ring from Gwyn.
- He has a cool wolf.
- He has a girlfriend who the game features both morning his death where you kill him and her corpse by his grave.
- He sacrificed himself selflessly for his dogge.
- There are no less than three version of his sword, all of which require four different stats to be 24 or 18.
- In a game with not all that many boss soul weapons, he has four (two versions of his sword plus his shield from Sif and one from his own soul), plus you can use his soul to get two more weapons from his girlfriend.

It's just all handled well, what with him not actually being the one who saved Oolacile and you being able to murder his girlfriend in cold blood if you feel like it. But he was totally Miyazaki's D&D character or something.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

He's Guts.

Gael is also Guts.

You are also kinda Guts.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

True, Artorias is so Mary Sue they made a unique stat on every single weapon that's only used by his sword...

Granted the stat is basically worthless on all but one enemy, but details.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My favorite thing about Artorias is the legion of losers that cosplay as him and were hated by everyone. I choose to view this as meta-commentary on everyone dressing up as Artorias.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

He's Guts.

Gael is also Guts.

You are also kinda Guts.

No, I'm Azan.

Though I'm using the Splitleaf Greatsword now because the moveset matches better even if it's not a staff.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

No, I'm Azan.

Though I'm using the Splitleaf Greatsword now because the moveset matches better even if it's not a staff.

No, but in DS1 DLC the player is kinda Guts defeating Guts to rescue Dusk, who is Casca.

It's Gutses all the way down

Edit

That is a sick Azan Cosplay tho.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

No, but in DS1 DLC the player is kinda Guts defeating Guts to rescue Dusk, who is Casca.

It's Gutses all the way down

:confuoot:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I feel like Lothric and I could have had a reasonable conversation. The mantle of Lords interests me none, either. If only he was more open to conversation and less prone to fits of violence I feel we could have come to an amicable agreement that would have benefited lothric :-(

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I feel like Lothric and I could have had a reasonable conversation. The mantle of Lords interests me none, either. If only he was more open to conversation and less prone to fits of violence I feel we could have come to an amicable agreement that would have benefited lothric :-(

You only had two choices, both would've meant him doing his job, either living or dead.

Being reasonable would mean you quitting the game and letting him live

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
No man, I'd hang out there with him and lorian and his big feathery Grand room. I just pick his brain about cool stuff and you know we would just have a cool chat just too cool dudes and lorian too

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lorian's a very good listener

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Yeah it would be our way of sticking it to the Man!

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
One thing I noticed in the DLCs that I found really neat,was the enemies seem a lot more coordinated in groups than before, the farron followers and wolves in Ashes of Ariandel seem to have much better group AI than normal enemies, and in the DLC I definitely noticed that the locust people would coordinate their attacks in groups.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah one locust is not much of a problem, but two or three locusts is no joke.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Uncle w Benefits posted:

No man, I'd hang out there with him and lorian and his big feathery Grand room. I just pick his brain about cool stuff and you know we would just have a cool chat just too cool dudes and lorian too

I hate to break it to you but I get the feeling those two get up to some weird poo poo in that giant bedroom of theirs. Like, hillbilly stuff.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You only had two choices, both would've meant him doing his job, either living or dead.

Being reasonable would mean you quitting the game and letting him live

I dunno, if he knew you were going for the firekeeper's eyes ending, I think he might be ok with that. I mean, he'd still have to die in order for you to go do so, but at least it'd give him some solace.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Internet Kraken posted:

My favorite thing about Artorias is the legion of losers that cosplay as him and were hated by everyone. I choose to view this as meta-commentary on everyone dressing up as Artorias.

Right before the dlc released I was helping people beat nameless king and like 75% of the people I cooped with were wearing his armor, it was kind of ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cnidaria posted:

Right before the dlc released I was helping people beat nameless king and like 75% of the people I cooped with were wearing his armor, it was kind of ridiculous.

To be fair, you do get it right before going there on average.