Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

I was hoping Iago would just die in battle like Hans but alas.

Awk! No...I don't want to die! Please...listen! I was under a spell the whole time.
This is all King Garon's fault! I would never have done all those things to you.
Sure.
Won't somebody save me? King Garon is the evil behind all of this. I've been used! Have mercy on me!

I've never seen someone face their own death with less dignity. For that, and for all of your cruelty, you're a disgrace to Nohr!
Leo!

If there's one thing Leo hates more than traitors, it's cowardly traitors

*Leo arrives*

Lord Leo! I throw myself upon your mercy. You're here to save me, right?
Weren't you listening just now? I am not your ally, you monster. I won't allow you to sully our kingdom a moment longer!
B-but, milord...
Just stop talking. I'll put you out of your misery.
Please, I beg you!
Die!

Treeo'ed

Gyah!

*Iago dies*

Good riddance.
Thank you, Leo. Have you come to join us?
We're about to confront King Garon.
Not exactly. I have had a moment of enlightenment, and I believe you are on the side of justice.
However, I'm still a Nohrian prince, and King Garon is still my father. I won't stop you, but I cannot assist you further.
I understand.

Thank you, Corrin.
Also, I meant to you earlier, but...
No, wait. Never mind.
What? What is it? You can't tease me like that!

Oh, that rascally Corrin

Why didn't you tell me before?
Sorry, I didn't want to interrupt your moment with Iago. You really took charge there!
Well...thank you. I guess.

Where were you, we could've used your healing

Elise! What are you doing here?
I'm here to try and talk Xander and Father into listening to Corrin.
I can't stand watching our family self-destruct anymore!
I see. Well, I'm not sure Xander or Father are in the mood for chatting...
You should go wait this out in that secret passage Camilla thinks I don't know about.
You know about that?! Ugh, of course you do. Nothing gets past you.

I'm pretty sure like everyone in the castle knows now considering Camilla brought like 30 soldiers in there.

I'm the only one who has a chance of making them drop their guard and listen. I can't just sit by and do nothing while everyone I love tries to kill each other! I couldn't live with myself...
But, Elise...
Sorry, my mind's made up.
Well, I suppose I can't make you change your mind. So...do as you wish. But please be careful.
Yay! Thank you, Leo! Your blessing means a lot to me.
Thank you, Leo.
You two...so reckless.
Since you can't be stopped, I must at least warn you one last time...

Well no duh he's stronger than Corrin. Literally is only positive stat gain is Luck.

And Father is perhaps stronger still.
I appreciate the warning. But I am willing to give my life for this cause. And I am confident enough to believe I won't have to.
You have grown considerably, Corrin.
Thank you, Leo. We'll be on our way now. I hope we can meet again.
See you soon, Leo!
Yes... Good-bye.

*The group leaves Leo*

Wait a moment. Was that Odin giggling? And did I hear Niles cough? Guys, why don't you stop hiding and come out here.

*Niles and Odin arrive*

So sorry, Lord Leo. We simply didn't wish to disturb you unless it became necessary.
Yes, but then this insolvent creature tickled my fancy with a mirth-filled quip! Even my dark aura could not resist a chuckle.
What have I said about referring to your dark aura all the time?
But, milord...to even think of you being imprisoned within eternal darkness... Your soul yearning to break free.... Oh, the lamentations I would express...
Huh?

You're gonna make Lissa real mad in the parent-teacher conference, Owain

You went off to the Bottomless Canyon with that strange crystal all alone... I was worried about you, too. That's why we're here.
Yes, well...thank you, I suppose.
Tell us, what fantastic truths did the dark crystal reveal to you?
Well...
Ooh. That good, huh?
No, it's just... Father... He's no longer...

There's going to be a major battle, and anything could happen.
Understood, milord.
Yes. I have prophesied this from the very beginning...
Heh. You're hopeless, Odin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I actually feel like that cutscene had half-decent writing.

Shame about everything surrounding it.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I always give the Hagakure Blade to Hana. It lets her pretend to be a GBA Swordmaster with how dodgey she gets.

She will die immediately if anything ever connects, but rocket tag is fun.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The crown dork of Ylisse never fails to entertain. :allears:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The younger brothers are some of the best written characters in the game.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

your Corrin's poor stat gains just prove that F!Corrin is better, much like F!Robin was

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's Xander, it's RIGHT there

Or it's mysteriously Leo again

Yes, Lord Xander! I assume this is about Lord Corrin and his allies. Where will we be engaging the enemy?
Ooh, I can't wait for them to get here! When does the stabby party begin?!
The two of you will remain here. This isn't your fight.
What?! But I wanna to spill someone's blood! This is important!
Are you concerned that we're not up to the task, milord?

I mean, I guess I would trust you to guard lives better than get a date so....

However, I must face Corrin in single combat. That is the only way to limit unnecessary casualties. Enough blood has been spilled. That's why I need you two to remain here. Help keep the Nohrian soldiers at bay.
I see. But, milord...how do you know that Corrin will agree to your terms? I don't trust those Hoshido brigands one bit. We should be nearby...just in case.
I agree! That way I can pop out and kill anyone you need me to!

Aww...
But, Lord Xander...
Look. I trust the two of you, more than you even know. That is why I'm asking you to help me in this way.
We've fought valiantly together, and I will always cherish memories with you both.
Why are you saying these things? This isn't goodbye...

This is like the most death flaggy flag ever

Yeah...I don't like this.
I'm afraid we're out of time. I must go.
Wait, Lord Xander...

"Or else you'll get a LONG time-out! I'll murder-ban you for two days!"

Yes, milord...
This isn't how it's supposed to be... What's going on, Laslow?
I don't know. But we must follow Lord Xander's orders...

*Meanwhile, Corrin and company arrive at an arena*

*huff* *huff* Are we almost there?
Yes. Father's room is at the top of this tower.
Thank you.
Perhaps we should rest for a moment before ascending. We've all been through a lot just to get here.
That is an excellent idea. But, sadly, it doesn't appear we'll get the chance.
Oh? Why's that?
Look who's waiting for us.
Xander...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VzzakwBBRs

Yes. Hi.

Now why can't your sword do that, Ryoma??

We just gonna fight right now?

Nope.

It's been a long journey... I was hoping I wouldn't have to face you like this, Brother.
For all your trials, you're still so naive. Did you think I'd let anyone, even you, kill father right in front of me?

Well, you could like...turn your back or something.

If you insist on toppling Nohr, you'll have to get through me first.

Corrin is still our brother, and all he wants is peace!
Elise?! What are you doing? Have you abandoned Nohr as well?
No, that's not it. I just want our family to go back to the way it was...
I see. Is that child's logic how you swayed Camilla and Leo? I'm afraid it won't work on me.

Welp you lost your only advantage there, girl.

Since when?

There is nothing you can say to dissuade me from protecting Father and Nohr.
I will stop Corrin, here and now. It is the only way.
Xander, no!
Hold fast, everyone. As long as no one from Nohr intervenes, neither shall we.

Oh, NOW you show up in scenes again and you don't want to fight???

You see? I am here without the support of my retainers or any soldiers. This is between you and me, little prince. Now, let us begin.
*sigh* Understood, Brother.
There isn't much space here. Let's step over into the great hall.
Wait!
Stand back, Elise. there's no need for you to see this.
But...
I told you not to move!

You said like two sentences before giving in.

*sniff* I'm sorry, Corrin. I'm sorry I couldn't talk Xander out of this...
It's OK, Elise. I'm glad you came all the way here with us. And no matter what happens...
Having you as my sister has been the best thing that ever happened to me.

Uh oh, the double death flags. Who will death flag first?

It's time for me to go now. *leaves*
*sob*
There's got to be something more I can do... I can't lose my family forever! I CAN'T!!
I'm sorry, Xander, but I can't obey you this time...
I won't just let Corrin and Xander kill each other!

*Moments later*

Wait a second, this is the exact same place. We didn't move at all!

I hope you've taken all of my training to heart.
Don't hesitate like you always used to, do you understand? This isn't a mock battle, little brother.

It's a good thing Xander can't look at stat screens.

What, no. Shhh. Shut up. Take the easy win.

I'm not the same person I used to be.
I sure hope that's true. Otherwise this will be a sad, short fight.
Haaah!
(Here goes nothing...)

Hmm. Not a good start.

1) Corrin is poo poo at this still.

2) Why the gently caress can he take 6 Xander ultimate sword blows but can't fathom to survive a telegraphed Hans axe attack

Why is Lilith dead again

Leo wasn't kidding... Xander is stronger than I remember. But I can't afford to lose...

Hey, he got a hit in!

You're much stronger than before. I'm impressed.
But I'm afraid it's still not enough.

So much for that bravado.

Ryoma at level 5 can STILL take on Xander equally. I'm not joking.

Gods, he's losing!

I dunno what you were expecting, to be honest

*huff* *huff*
LEAVE US! This is my fight with Xander...
What's wrong, Corrin? Is that really all you've got?
Xander... Please... Try to understand...

Uh, that sounds like exactly what Iago would say. "No, don't kill me. T-Truce?"

Together we could easily overthrow King Garon!
Justice is an illusion. When kingdoms and lives are at stake, there's no justice to be found anywhere! Don't you see that by now?!

Rude. At least give a breather.

*cough* *cough* You're wrong... Justice does exist.
It's not black and white like some believe, but it's there all the same. Open your eyes... Brother...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLd2GCKYT94

Please! Speak to me!

Nohr needs more from you. Not just your strength...*winces in pain*

Xander starts to cry

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 15, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Looks like Scarlet has here eyes on Rinkah's Bolt Axe.

Also good on you Elise for putting your body where your words are.
Pity you had like, a million death flags tripped by both Xander and Corrin beforehand.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Now this is a whole lot better done than Lilith

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

your Corrin's poor stat gains just prove that F!Corrin is better, much like F!Robin was

F!Robin got the inferior Morgan.

M!Robin is therefore superior.

It's basic science.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
For as clunky as the writing is here, this here is pretty much the only dramatic beat in Fates that works, like, at all.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I think the line "You're much stronger than before. I'm impressed. But I'm afraid it's still not enough." the first time is supposed to be something else, since it gets repeated right after that? (Elise :smith:)

Also, Female Robin is way cooler than Male Robin. :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Booky posted:

I think the line "You're much stronger than before. I'm impressed. But I'm afraid it's still not enough." the first time is supposed to be something else, since it gets repeated right after that? (Elise :smith:)

Also, Female Robin is way cooler than Male Robin. :colbert:

Male Robin works for comedy purposes as the straight man to Awakening's whackadoodle cast. Lady Robin belongs in the traveling asylum with the rest of the nutjobs.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Well, it took three tries, but they managed to kill off someone and have the effect they were going for.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This actually works.

We know and like Elise, and this seems like something she'd actually do.

I mean we all know Xander is just gonna get pissed off and fight to the death out of grief, but eh.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Carlosologist posted:

Female Corrin gets Male Kana, and Male Kana does not get the awesome support with Midori.

Therefore, point goes to Male Corrin.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Argent Cinereus posted:

Well, it took three tries, but they managed to kill off someone and have the effect they were going for.
It's helped by the fact that we've seen Elise's arc throughout Birthright, from her sadness over Corrin siding with Hoshido to her realization that Garon genuinely is insane and to trying to stop the violence in whatever capacity she can. Compared to Mikoto and Lilith, we've gotten to know Elise as a character even without her being a part of the team, thus her death works. Admittedly, the whole "there's a tragic death incoming" part of Elise's death was telegraphed so hard that one could see from the orbit of Neptune, but still, the writers got their point across and stuck the landing, more or less.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No one remembers Gunter

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
Elise is the only person in either army with half a brain, of course she had to die.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Tae posted:

No one remembers Gunter

Who?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Corrin has dragon powers but didn't use them in the duel at all. It's kind of silly it never comes up in the plot past the initial reveal.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

Corrin has dragon powers but didn't use them in the duel at all. It's kind of silly it never comes up in the plot past the initial reveal.
That I can understand since it is possible that by this point, Corrin could potentially be in his/her reclass option, a class from a Friendship Seal, or his/her partner's class line. Thus, Corrin would be in a class that doesn't have the fancy dragon powers, and would require IntSys to make custom animations for each available class in the game (both in the base game and DLC content) that would only come up a few times in cutscenes and/or if Corrin has the Dragon Fang skill equipped. Basically, :effort: is the reason why Corrin's dragon powers don't really exist outside of the early prologue stages where the player has limited freedom of control.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know. That knight you get really early on.

Kellam.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

AradoBalanga posted:

That I can understand since it is possible that by this point, Corrin could potentially be in his/her reclass option, a class from a Friendship Seal, or his/her partner's class line. Thus, Corrin would be in a class that doesn't have the fancy dragon powers, and would require IntSys to make custom animations for each available class in the game (both in the base game and DLC content) that would only come up a few times in cutscenes and/or if Corrin has the Dragon Fang skill equipped. Basically, :effort: is the reason why Corrin's dragon powers don't really exist outside of the early prologue stages where the player has limited freedom of control.

Since when has gameplay interceded in what has happened in any of these cutscenes? See: Everything that has happened recently.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
So Elise decided to pull a Lalah Sune.

Of course.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wak

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Ha-hah! Return of the collar joke! I really hope there's more of that in Conquest. Leo's reaction is great.

And I am... rather ashamed to admit I genuinely did not see Elise's death coming. All the talk of death flags, I thought you were just talking about Xander and Corrin going in for a one-on-one duel to the death.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This is a continuation of the last update. Elise is still dead.

Elise! Wake up! You can't die like this...
NOOOOO!
... *points sword at Corrin*

*sob* How can you keep fighting like nothing's happened?! Elise just died in your arms trying to stop us from fighting. Yet you just want to pick right up where we left off?
I...I know. That's why this fight will be our last. Now, get up. NOW!
All she wanted was peace and for us to be a family again...
She hated seeing us fight... Please, Big Brother!
Don't make me say it again. Draw your sword, Corrin.

What if he was a lance user. What if he had a Beast Killer, hmm?

NOW.

...Fine. As you wish. I guess...you're not the brother I remember, Xander.
Elise...I'm so sorry I couldn't save you. And it doesn’t look like I'll be able to make your last wish come true, either.

Xander. You taught me to be brave. You taught me how to wield power. The time has come for me to show you what I've learned.

THE FACE OF ANNIHILATION

*Peri and Laslow arrive*

Lord Xander! is everything OK?
Is...is that Lady Elise? What happened to her?
I told you two to stay out of this! What are you doing here?
Milord, we both had such a bad feeling about this whole thing... And we thought it better to risk punishment than regret inaction.
Besides, they must have double-crossed you!
Which one of you did this to Lady Elise? I'll gut you!
No, Elise was...
*sigh*

No way! Like Laslow said, we don't care if you're mad. We want to make sure you don't get killed! So we brought some troops.
Against your orders if necessary...we will protect you, milord. Nothing will change our minds on this.

*reinforcements arrive*

Hmph. So much for this duel. Cowards. Prepare to engage the enemy!
None of you fiends will get within shouting distance of Lord Xander.
Yeah! At least, not in one piece. Heehee!
Blast! This isn't what I wanted...

So this is a relatively simple map. Xander and Corrin will fight one-on-one in an isolated area, while the rest of the enemies are mediocre in stats with no tricks like Entrap.

The all-powerful mighty Xander is bad, but mechanically he will not attack Corrin at all on difficulties below Lunatic. It's assumed he's just shell-shocked which explains the poo poo stats.

I mean 15 speed, man. That's Orochi levels of bad.

Xander's retainers are doing the same gameplan as Camilla and Elise's, which is basically just slapping a Brave weapon and calling it a day.

As you can see, even my stupidly bad Corrin can still easily defeat Xander. But this IS a boss rout mission and I love one-turn wins.

Clearing the General leads the way for Kagero to open the door.

Then ferry Oboro via Rescue to cripple Xander even more.

eXellent.

Don't hold back—I promise you that I won't.

You're a goddamn liar.

I won't. I know I've never bested you before, but that changes now!

You bested him like twice before.

That's the spirit.
Come at me!

HEADBUTTS SAVE LIVES

I always told you...you could do anything...you set your mind to...
Brother!!
Your technique was flawless... You finally stopped holding yourself back. It's what I've always tried to teach you. You're becoming the leader I always knew you could be...
Xander...

NOW you gain defense.

Now, if you so choose to just kill all the other soldiers first, it's a pretty nice boost to EXP.

Of course that means killing Laslow and Peri which are the only retainers that explicitly state that they died in battle.

Vs. Laslow

My duty is to protect Lord Xander and the kingdom of Nohr, in that order. May the gods have mercy on anyone who stands against me.

*When defeated*

Haha! *cough* *cough* Sorry, friends... I won't be able to...return with you...

Vs. Peri

Are you ready to die? If not, I'll give you 10 seconds to get ready.
Time's up!

*When defeated*

I'm sorry I disobeyed you, Lord Xander. So this is what death feels like...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
On my Birthright run, the first move was Hero Corrin planting a killer axe in Xander's dumb face and that was all he wrote.

This map must be hilariously easy if you have a beast killer on hand.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

inthesto posted:

On my Birthright run, the first move was Hero Corrin planting a killer axe in Xander's dumb face and that was all he wrote.

This map must be hilariously easy if you have a beast killer on hand.

By the time I got to Xander I had the skill Tae really wants on Midori and it felt like cheating

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Even on Lunatic Xander's stats are pretty much the same. He gets a bit more HP and a skill or two but that's it. In fact, if you take full advantage of the skills and passive buffs available you can do something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtOPaUWV4dw

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That video reminded me, the music here is also loving stellar, both the regular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVwMGElwAWE and Roar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LCQ3N4a4fg versions

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C-B-A Conversation

I indeed resented you for it.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Compare with the stats they had when we fought them in chapter 12:

Xander:

Peri:

Laslow:

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
All of that checks out except for Peri losing a point of luck. Not all that important, but still. Wondering how they handle that internally. Auto leveling, different characters for different chapters, or what. Xander's getting nothing but skill and resistance is pretty bad, but technically plausible.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
No wonder Corrin can't gain proper stats. He was trained by "I only increase the same three stats over 12 levels" Xander.

Although that's a hell of an HP gain. Dude clearly used some Seraphic Robes.

That, or somehow got his HP growth over 100%.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Real Superpower Xander gained along the way was a few extra points of HP.

Should have gone with strength.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I honestly find a non-one turn kill to be funnier, since I have to imagine the two just staring at each other in what has to be the most awkward moment in anyone's life.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

No wonder Corrin can't gain proper stats. He was trained by "I only increase the same three stats over 12 levels" Xander.

Although that's a hell of an HP gain. Dude clearly used some Seraphic Robes.

That, or somehow got his HP growth over 100%.
The hilarious part about Xander's lopsided stats is that they would probably fit better if he was a Great Knight rather than a Paladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

The hilarious part about Xander's lopsided stats is that they would probably fit better if he was a Great Knight rather than a Paladin.

Then you have the Ike-Black Knight problem of slapping Hammer/Armor Slayer to make it trivial even on the hardest difficulty.

Although to be fair, I could've easily just changed Corrin to a lance user and buy that Arms Scroll in the store for the Beast Killer but I need money for other stuff.

• Locked thread