Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:cry:

I have over a year left of IRR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mustang posted:

That's the thing, it's poo poo that might take 2 weeks tops at most duty stations but ends up being a loving month for us because of land reservations

yeah dont get me wrong it sounds lame as gently caress dont get me wrong but hell land reservations suck on a base youre stationed at too.

IDK i'm not trying to be a dick but but its funny to hear YTC like that means anything outside of anyone familiar with JBLM or WA, OR, or ID USAR/ARNG units

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I wish we could train more here on JBLM because the training areas here are actually pretty loving awesome. It's a lot of fun doing dismounted training surrounded by giant loving trees that make strykers seem tiny and insignificant. Western Washington in general is loving awesome and being stationed somewhere with 3 major cities and tons of outdoor poo poo to do is loving sweet.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
realtalk i didnt even realized that jblm had actual training areas based on its locations so i'm the dummy here

edit: i probably only spent a week there

edit2: the hotel was ok and the gas station by the main gate was pretty baller by aafes gas station standards

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I only know what the TA's in JBLM and Benning are like, but on JBLM the TA's are able to be driven through by civilians which I think has something to do with us having to do anything above squad level training at YTC. The side roads are off limits but the major roads are open to civilians.

One night we actually had civilian cops show up at our TAA once because they thought our CO's POV was a stolen vehicle, they somehow didn't notice the 12 strykers and company's worth of soldiers surrounding it. Even on a clear night it's pretty loving dark with 100+ foot tall trees all around you.

It's a huge disappointment that the JBLM TA's aren't used more often. Dismounted squad training here is some of the most fun I've had in the Army.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Those areas don't get used as often because they're completely and entirely forest. There's nowhere to "maneuver" with vehicles. We only used them a handful of times, and only for a few days at most. All of those roads that are actually in the TAs are closed off (for obvious reasons) although there are some numbered routes that pass through. I found this out the hard way when I, for some reason, wound up going waaay out there to... I dunno, get to some other road or something (maybe I thought it was a shortcut), and right where the TA road met the hardball was closed off. I had to turn around and go all the way back, then take the long way around.

e: definitely not looking for a shortcut to Lady Luck

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 14, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

so close to reporting soulex

He's been dealt with.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

I wish we could train more here on JBLM because the training areas here are actually pretty loving awesome. It's a lot of fun doing dismounted training surrounded by giant loving trees that make strykers seem tiny and insignificant. Western Washington in general is loving awesome and being stationed somewhere with 3 major cities and tons of outdoor poo poo to do is loving sweet.

Train the way you fight.

Which means the entire army needs to be at Camp Casey right now.

Who is at Casey anyway? Didn't 2-9 leave and now units rotate?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I wish I could see a month by month lay down of failure to reports to Korea and see if it's spiking.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Anytime I think "hmm I kinda miss the army" all I have to do is think about what life on Casey is like right now and I'm cured.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I think I've hit peak staff life. My boss actually encourages everyone to leave by 5 every day, lets me manage my own time, and is an all around good dude. I have two majors who help handle the S3's calendar so I can actually focus on my job.

BDE staff is waaaaay better than BN staff.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

so close to reporting soulex

Got to walk that thin line between disgust and disgruntlement.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mods change my name to "Mike-O's Battle Buddy". TIA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Triggs posted:

I think I've hit peak staff life. My boss actually encourages everyone to leave by 5 every day, lets me manage my own time, and is an all around good dude. I have two majors who help handle the S3's calendar so I can actually focus on my job.

It's almost like the less you have to deal with Soldiers face to face the better life is

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Triggs posted:

It's like the opposite here, the guys at our BDE S3 work way later than we ever did. It's not that uncommon to see poo poo they publish at like 1900-2000.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Soulex posted:

:boom:

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

Mustang posted:

I only know what the TA's in JBLM and Benning are like, but on JBLM the TA's are able to be driven through by civilians which I think has something to do with us having to do anything above squad level training at YTC. The side roads are off limits but the major roads are open to civilians.

One night we actually had civilian cops show up at our TAA once because they thought our CO's POV was a stolen vehicle, they somehow didn't notice the 12 strykers and company's worth of soldiers surrounding it. Even on a clear night it's pretty loving dark with 100+ foot tall trees all around you.

It's a huge disappointment that the JBLM TA's aren't used more often. Dismounted squad training here is some of the most fun I've had in the Army.

1-14 CAV actually did a BN level combined arms exercise in the TAs at JBLM. I remember walking an apache onto a target shooting live rounds while my sister PL did the same with some arty and it was all like 500 m off that main hardball that runs out Scouts Out gate. The potential to conduct higher unit training is there, it's just a question of how much rear end pain your S3 wants to go through satisfying all the safety requirements. And this is based on nothing but my own intuition but I feel like they want to keep pushing to Yakima to keep a lot of people in their jobs.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Triggs posted:

Similarly, division staff is better than brigade. I bet corp staff is like a nonstop party.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

roger that battle buddy

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mike-o posted:

roger that battle buddy

Get with the times. It's "warrior companion" now. :smuggo:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

I'm starting to realize why everyone in the Army has a drinking problem

Now imagine having to be sober for a whole year while putting up with it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
alright drop
and beat your face
gip is gonna rock this place

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Mustang posted:

It's like the opposite here, the guys at our BDE S3 work way later than we ever did. It's not that uncommon to see poo poo they publish at like 1900-2000.

I'm more and more convinced everyday that this is a parody account

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Someone's had the super long con going.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It's an attempt to make the Army sound better than it used to be in an attempt to bring back guys with operational knowledge. It's a clever ploy.

Which is why I'm here to remind you of how hosed up it truly is.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

DoktorLoken posted:

Someone's had the super long con going.

Gonna be weird when we find the OKCupid profile picture of a guy literally sticking his dick in a Stryker.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Out of IRR for 3 1/2 years and have 50% VA disability. Come at me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Carteret posted:

I'm more and more convinced everyday that this is a parody account

I have no idea why it's different here, Ive never worked at BDE, but the guys on BDE staff all try to get pushed down to a BN as soon as they can and guys in the BNs try to avoid getting BDE staff positions.

I am on BDE S3 distros though, they definitely have tons of poo poo going on.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Also definitely not trying to get people to come back in, I don't even plan on staying in myself.

I just haven't had to deal with any toxic leaders the way it seems everyone else here has.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just overheard someone declare "I love Fort Bragg!" and "I love Fayetteville!" after giving the "I would've joined, but..." speech to a marine :laffo:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Soulex posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol what why

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

TheAlphaChaser posted:

1-14 CAV actually did a BN level combined arms exercise in the TAs at JBLM. I remember walking an apache onto a target shooting live rounds while my sister PL did the same with some arty and it was all like 500 m off that main hardball that runs out Scouts Out gate. The potential to conduct higher unit training is there, it's just a question of how much rear end pain your S3 wants to go through satisfying all the safety requirements. And this is based on nothing but my own intuition but I feel like they want to keep pushing to Yakima to keep a lot of people in their jobs.
No poo poo? When was this?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Was it for Pacific Pathways? We did a company level CALFEX last year but it was for some visiting countries to observe.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Mustang is a deep cover recruiter.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

lol what why

I'm sorry I'll tone down my bro love for HCT.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Trying to understand how the Army works, especially AD combat arms at the BN level and below usually results in :stare:

What a miserable existence.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pay attention. These are the dudes we're going to be suplexing in a little while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q901s3wcNSU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

I'm sorry I'll tone down my bro love for HCT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Kind of weird how many more scouts there are in GIP than infantry, that's the way it seems anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Not very many infantrymen can figure out computers.