Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Anyone else feels like the higher the graphical settings in the this game the worse it actually looks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Knifegrab posted:

Yes and if you look at modded servers more people play counter strike in low grav infinite ammo servers/surf servers than comp matchmaking. Doesn't mean comp should turn down the gravity and introduce surf maps though.

I didn't realize that this game was already an eSport. Clearly I'm in the wrong and your opinion is right.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I heard a some weed baby went pro already.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Megasabin posted:

Man this is the 1st game in years that is causing my computer to crash with error messages saying I'm running out of memory. I have 16 gigs of ram.

Usually that's vram issues. I'd check and see what you have that set to on the drive it's installed on.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

yea the 3pp camera is definitely poo poo that they had to add or else arma babbies would get mad.

the only reason people care so much about 3pp is because they would be garbage without it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

You will still be able to camp with no repercussions in just first person mode. No one is forcing you to peek out when you camp playing in first person only and in fact its probably the most safe way to play camp and never move or peek unless necessary.

camping becomes much less lucrative a strategy if you can't see 90% of the area in front of you. I don't see how you aren't getting this, I think you're being purposefully dense

right now you can camp and see everyone around you and shoot them and they probably won't see you
in "1st person only" you can camp and either not shoot anyone and be safe, or peek out and put yourself in danger

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Is it wrong of me to not really care?

I understand the asymmetrical advantage and would probably play 1st person only. That said it's still fun and I don't really care that much?

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I realized that I am way better in urban environments than in the forests. The same thing in DayZ I dont know why. I feel super vulnerable in the endgame when I am in the forests or some area without buildings. I easilly get into the top 10 but get flanked in the end game almost always. I think I have some kind of tunnel vision where I focus only on the last circle instead of the areas around me where the guys usually come from. In DayZ and this I almost always win engagements in urban areas and get hosed in the woods.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I feel like I remember hearing that H1Z1 implemented first person only servers but no one played them and it was eventually scrapped. Regardless of whether first or third person is "best", I feel like the same would happen with PUBG - much fewer people would play first person modes.

My two cents is that third person isn't inherently bad, but it leads to behavior that feels unnatural. I almost never want to approach a building or complex of buildings in the mid-to-late game because there could be a person in there that sees my every move without exposing himself at all. If it were first person only I would be much more willing to try and sneak up on the building, knowing that if someone wants to see me I would get a chance to at least see him in return (and he couldn't pre-aim and destroy me immediately). Another example from that dyslexci video is that suppressing fire essentially does not exist in a third person game, as you can see exactly where the enemy is regardless. There's definitely a third person "meta" that is sometimes counter intuitive which you have to adapt to.

There's another BR-style game called "Islands of Nyne" that is supposed to come out in 2017 and will be first person only, which will be cool to try.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Harminoff posted:

Usually that's vram issues. I'd check and see what you have that set to on the drive it's installed on.

How do I do that, and ideally what should it bet set to?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Ruggan posted:

I understand the asymmetrical advantage and would probably play 1st person only. That said it's still fun and I don't really care that much?

Nah, you're good. People just bein' goons and spergin' like goons do. Game still good.

Serious post: Playing DayZ has just lowered the bar so much that this game is automatically GOTY since it is fun and works.

To non spergs reading the thread: game owns. Play this game. The goon community is actually alright too despite current sperging.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

any complaints about the game are spergin, gotcha lol.

i'd play the game in any mode idc just fix desync

http://www.strawpoll.me/12745772/r
:shrug:

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

30%? I doubt there will be more than 5% of the playerbase that will play first person only, just because many will go back to third person realising they are bad at it and have zero situational awarness.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Megasabin posted:

How do I do that, and ideally what should it bet set to?

Right click my computer, settings, advanced, settings under performance, advanced, change under virtual memory.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Ruggan posted:

Yes, it's wrong. Get your reasonable and popular opinion out of here. This thread is for pubgplayers.txt only.

Also this, absolutely:

Paradigmata posted:

30%? I doubt there will be more than 5% of the playerbase that will play first person only, just because many will go back to third person realising they are bad at it and have zero situational awarness.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
You guys do know its ok to say "This game is fun by xyz could be better." I guess its easier to just say "sperg" and then dick suck a game which is barely functional in a genre of broken messes.

Battlegrounds is fun but it is so far away from a good/polished/functional game. Its a giant mess and if it were any other genre would be unacceptable. It just so happens being approachable to a playable game surpasses all the other complete poo poo-tier games in the genre.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Why hasn't a major company picked up this genre yet? If DICE just slapped something together in Frosbite or Ubi in the Farcry Engine, it would likely be functional and fully featured far quicker than any of these smaller devs could manage. Not to say either DICE or Ubisoft are perfect companies, but they have the money and the manpower.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Why hasn't a major company picked up this genre yet? If DICE just slapped something together in Frosbite or Ubi in the Farcry Engine, it would likely be functional and fully featured far quicker than any of these smaller devs could manage. Not to say either DICE or Ubisoft are perfect companies, but they have the money and the manpower.

Big companies aren't super nimble. Even if they started pre-production today, you wouldn't see a product for couple years. I'd imagine they're also not super eager to hop on the latest sleeper fad because for every MOBA or Minecraft craze, there are a bunch of mini-genres that flame out after only a few months. That's a big risk for an industry which is notoriously risk averse

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 14, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

any complaints about the game are spergin, gotcha lol.

i'd play the game in any mode idc just fix desync

http://www.strawpoll.me/12745772/r
:shrug:

it's spergin' when the devs have explicitly said the game mode you desire is coming

either keep playing until then or don't, no one here gives a gently caress

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
I mean clearly a lot of us here give a gently caress, but not a lot of fucks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

it's spergin' when the devs have explicitly said the game mode you desire is coming

either keep playing until then or don't, no one here gives a gently caress

"i wish 1st person were in"

"IT'S COMING SOON YOU AUTISTIC gently caress"

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Let's not forget you need third person in order to motivate people to keep playing to unlock totally sick trench coats.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

its coming soon u autistic fuk

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Just you wait until i get my dreamcast controller usable and you all are gonna see some poo poo

The vmu is going to double as a very tiny map

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Let's not forget you need third person in order to motivate people to keep playing to unlock totally sick trench coats.

oo heck thats true i have a purple coat thats worth a whole $2 on steam

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

oo heck thats true i have a purple coat thats worth a whole $2 on steam

Take that the fee that the developer collects off each transaction and multiply that by a million times, and the developer is sitting on a pretty penny. Now you know why 3rd person will be the default option for eternity.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

the only gear i care about unlocking is clothing in green or brown colors. the coat is nice since it covers up your pasty arms and makes it easier to blend in with a bush.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

unironically this

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Harminoff posted:

It doesn't help that the game has some bad memory leaks as well...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

You guys do know its ok to say "This game is fun by xyz could be better." I guess its easier to just say "sperg" and then dick suck a game which is barely functional in a genre of broken messes.

Battlegrounds is fun but it is so far away from a good/polished/functional game. Its a giant mess and if it were any other genre would be unacceptable. It just so happens being approachable to a playable game surpasses all the other complete poo poo-tier games in the genre.

I mean, you literally couldn't figure out how to punch, then you drew a picture for someone who said they liked third person. I once heard a saying about pots and kettles, but I forgot how it went.

Knifegrab posted:

How do I get back to having punchy fists once I find a weapon of some kind?

Knifegrab posted:

I did that but I still couldn't punch...

Knifegrab posted:

Here I made a helpful drawing for you:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I have a set that's worth like $180. :) see, preordering isn't always bad

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

to be fair i just said that people were spergin' and that the game was good for being in development for 9 months.

The devs seem like they're on top of things too, so yea, I've got high hopes

I'm actually looking forward to first person too because your complaints are legit, but it's just how all the Arma games are played. I'm used to it I guess, I don't mind third person.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Throwing smoke bombs when you're the last few players alive in a field so the enemy gets confused and assumes you're heading in the smoke's direction so they look that way while you creep around in the opposite direction for a flank: Surprisingly effective.

E: For some reason I vastly prefer first person as opposed to third person unless I specifically need to check out a house super safely or if I'm prone in a field with the last few enemies very nearby. Being in first person makes me focus a lot harder.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 15, 2017

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Songbearer posted:

Throwing smoke bombs when you're the last few players alive in a field so the enemy gets confused and assumes you're heading in the smoke's direction so they look that way while you creep around in the opposite direction for a flank: Surprisingly effective.

Meanwhile smokes are clientside and go straight up in the air like a fountain and wont fool anyone: Unsurprisingly bad.

Only time they were usefull is by smoking a house so they cant see something while you reposition, or just killing your opponents FPS

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
First person only modes die in these types of games because they are almost exclusively populated with extremely competitive players that make it generally unpleasant for people who don't know the ins and outs of it. This game will likely be different in that, given H1Z1's very active player base, it should be able to keep such a feature alive, but I still expect it to be full of angry people that will be exceedingly unfun to play with.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

i know you guys are fat and stupid neckbeards and cannot grasp concepts like empathy and games still being fun while not "perfect", but this game feels far better than any of the arma mods and dayz standalone

i wonder what kind of junk all of you would be posting when you step down some stairs and immediately die or have grenades spawn all over the map and explode everyone after you spent 50 hours of your life searching for guns and food haha

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Rite Of Massage posted:

i know you guys are fat and stupid neckbeards and cannot grasp concepts like empathy and games still being fun while not "perfect", but this game feels far better than any of the arma mods and dayz standalone

i wonder what kind of junk all of you would be posting when you step down some stairs and immediately die or have grenades spawn all over the map and explode everyone after you spent 50 hours of your life searching for guns and food haha

video games are cool

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Might not be totally relevant, but man...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Safetyland posted:

Might not be totally relevant, but man...

DayZ took literally 18 months to reach the point that the mod was at mainly because Bohemia only hired Rocket and not any of the other developers who worked on the mod. So none of them would allow their mod contributions to be ported or licensed for SA.

Which, incidentally, is why Bohemia then changed the mod EULA for Arma 3 so that people can't monetize their mods nearly as easily.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Hiring only Rocket was the worst idea as well since he took a fun game and turned it into a boring autist "survival" simulator (or it would be if you didn't die because reasons).

This makes up for it tbh

• Locked thread