Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Wow. That Jessica from Ithaca call ticked a lot of Bad Call boxes. "Things are rough, Tom. My band's show got cancelled." "We got a cat." And the huge box of "Hi Tom this is Jessica from Ithaca."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Jessica from Ithaca oughta take after another famous Ithacan and get lost at sea for 10 years

...no, I feel bad for joining the anti-Jessica dogpile. The calls are bad, yes, but is Jessica really more of a snooze than a Laurie from Miami? Or is the only difference that Tom seems to not even try to do comedy when she calls in? Regular callers suck when they give Tom nothing to goof on.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

WrathOfBlade posted:

Jessica from Ithaca oughta take after another famous Ithacan and get lost at sea for 10 years

...no, I feel bad for joining the anti-Jessica dogpile. The calls are bad, yes, but is Jessica really more of a snooze than a Laurie from Miami? Or is the only difference that Tom seems to not even try to do comedy when she calls in? Regular callers suck when they give Tom nothing to goof on.

That is definitely part of it for me. Tom really only gives guys poo poo. NoDudevember, while a decent idea at face value, ends up sucking because Tom is too nice to everyone.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The other regular caller from the past year, the vegan girl who slices meat at a deli in cleveland, is borderline sad sack, but at least she usually brings something to the table and the calls are usually interesting if not laugh out loud funny. But Jessica from ithaca and Cat from Raleigh are just bad boring callers.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Let me dig this post up that has always been relevant.

Seltzer posted:

They both can be bad but the female callers are generally worse because at least when the guys flame out it's so bad that it gives tom material. The bad female callers just get given a ton of time.

I don't listen during nodudevember, it's really bad.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah if you're into the kind of music she talks about with Tom during the calls, the Cleveland vegan meat slicer calls are good. I, however, am not really that interested in that stuff.

The only thing keeping me listening in Nodudevember are the Wurster calls or themes that sound interesting. Also Tom does a decent job of having segments for Mike or the other studio staff that can be fun.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've generally skipped everything not a Wurster call unless someone here says a part was good.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 15, 2017

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Liam's got some edgy material this week

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, are there any callers from ithaca?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure she didn't call this week.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

This show is never gonna have good weirdos again. I wish cassius would call again, he's better than avalanche bob in every way

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

inferis posted:

This show is never gonna have good weirdos again.

Never underestimate the power of being on radio airwaves

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The Tom can't complain/tompressions were really the only shows that that really benefitted from the callers being insider-y. Without explicit prompting no one is really antagonistic enough to be interesting with few exceptions (mattress guy, Cassius, tom's real life). Everything else that's good about the show is incredibly labor intensive like the 2006 episode.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

inferis posted:

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, are there any callers from ithaca?

no but Kat from Raleigh called in and talked about her autism

Jefferton also called in for the first time in a while

and that kid with the toilet car friend called in who is probably one of the best current callers because he owned Tom re: spelling.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That kid trying to get tom to spell icup killed me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Try to ruin things Tom likes was such a great topic idea but everyone called in and tried doing the opposite thing

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Tom didn't help things, though. He was strangely accepting of most people's calls

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
But to be fair, it's pretty difficult to convince someone of something when their response is pretty much always "Yeah I've seen/heard it. I just don't like it and you can't make me. If you like it, more power to ya." Like there were more than a couple of people who were actually doing the topic correctly but Tom pretty much immediately shut them down by saying "Yeah I've seen that/ heard that a million times and I just don't get it. Sorry!" It's kind of a lovely topic when your schtick as a host is that you're a guy who has a huge knowledge of music and is pretty prickly. Which makes things even worse because the people that call in won't argue with Tom. The whole point of the topic is to argue with him about why he should like something. Giving a point and then replying automatically to whatever Tom says with "Yeah. Fair enough." is some pretty poor sports/pop culture analysis.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom almost surely knows more about anything you could come with than any of us do so that makes it hard. I remember when he was railing on Jesus Lizard a lot a long time ago and I said something to him on Facebook about how he should give them a chance. Then I was listening to an older episode a bit later (this wasn't a response to me. This was from before I said this to him) and he was talking about how he had seen them like 30 times and always thought they sucked. I just felt out of my element and like a dumbass. I've never even seen them live.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Tom almost surely knows more about anything you could come with than any of us do so that makes it hard.

The topic was to challenge anything he likes not specifically obscure musical acts. People bombing with the phone calls of "how do you watch the knicks! They're terrible" as an example.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know? I was just using a band as an example.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Hannah is my new favorite caller. "I'm not so smart." "That's ok!" Tom is kinda great with kids.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Yeah, I was going to say the kids can be really hit or miss, but they've got about the same hit ratio as the adults at this point

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Q: are the people who call in and are willing to wait on the line overly sycophantic, or is Mike only letting the rear end-kissers through? I'm so bummed at the fawning and deference in 100% of callers these days that I want to call in just to bust Tom's balls.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Q: are the people who call in and are willing to wait on the line overly sycophantic, or is Mike only letting the rear end-kissers through? I'm so bummed at the fawning and deference in 100% of callers these days that I want to call in just to bust Tom's balls.

I called in two weeks ago and the screening was "hello?", you say you wanna talk to Tom, then you're on hold for 90 mins.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
You should definitely call in and bust Tom's balls

SolamenteDoug
Mar 26, 2017

I understand the fawning. I'm not crazy about it, but I get it. People are calling in because they're fans of the show. Nobody is stumbling upon a podcast the same way they might've when it was on WFMU. It's different. The closest you'll get to that is when somebody calls in because they were told to by a friend but had never heard the show before. Like this week with the hairdresser in Austin. That was a good call.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't do no santeria, I ain't got no pork and beans

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

The Berzerker posted:

I don't do no santeria, I ain't got no pork and beans

i laughed every time he did this. a+

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thom and the Heads posted:

i laughed every time he did this. a+

me too and then I heard that song on the radio this morning (followed by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones no less!), it was like they were trying to make me specifically laugh.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Does anyone remember which recent show had the whole labyrinth bit with Bowie doing a southern accent?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Does anyone remember which recent show had the whole labyrinth bit with Bowie doing a southern accent?

I think that was during z-man's call during the "convince Tom to like things" episode?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

CaptainPsyko posted:

I think that was during z-man's call during the "convince Tom to like things" episode?

bingo

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Good start to the show so far. Tom gets pissed at Bob's Burgers/H. Jon Benjamin while talking to a kid.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

What are you minoring in, Mel's Hole?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Tom was right. gently caress that UFO guy who refused to talk about it. Tom clearly knew something about that sort of thing and it would have been fun.

SolamenteDoug
Mar 26, 2017

Tatumje posted:

Good start to the show so far. Tom gets pissed at Bob's Burgers/H. Jon Benjamin while talking to a kid.

I didn't hear any complains about Jon Benjamin. I think his issues are with Loren Bouchard, who used to come on and plug Home Movies.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tatumje posted:

Think he meant Loren Bouchard.

I'm still lolling at The Damned "You can't afford no sandwich. You can't afford no food at all"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Interesting. I always thought the Bob's Burgers beef was with H. Jon Benjamin since he was a part of several big character segments early in the show. Is H. Jon just too busy nowadays? Are him and Tom still cool?