Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Gorman Thomas posted:

What actor would most convincingly deliver the line, "Well boy, I'd masturbate to that. Hell, I might even cum".

Asking for a friend.

Diedrich Bader as Lawrence in Office Space.

"Well boy, I'd masturbate to that. Hell, I might even cum".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nah, I knew exactly what you meant, I. was just being pedantic. It's cool.

FishBulb posted:

Bah I meant before. Sorry it's been a long day.

That movie is sooo good.

Like, I'm sure there were book nerds who were like "this movie is lame and shallow and doesn't do the books justice", but for me, it epitomizes a genre on film.

It's everything anyone ever could have wanted in terms of grand sword and scorcery. Visually stunning, great score, great cast.

It gets downplayed by a lot of people for the 'lol arnold" factor, but it doesn't deserve it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The Fate of the Furious still has boatloads of charisma at its back, it's a worthy addition to the series on a thematic level, and it keeps the franchise's wonderfully jigsaw approach to set pieces mostly intact, but F Gary Gray is not just as talented of a director as Justin Lin or James Wan doing a Justin Lin impression. There were like two good shots in the whole thing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is the next one going to be called Fury of the Fast?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Thing is there are legit criticisms to be made of the Disney Star Wars movies (though I'm generally positive on them), but Max Landis is just not hitting that target.

Anyway Colossal is really good and a reminder that Anne Hathaway is a really loving good actress. Like the stuff surrounding her is strong but none of it would have worked if the protagonist rang false.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yea yeah I feel like "people sitting still in extremely uncomfortable situations while the camera doesn't move or cut a lot" is my favorite comedic sub-genre, and Colossal isn't quite as good at that as, say, Force Majeure, but its high praise to be even in the same conversation

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gorman Thomas posted:

What actor would most convincingly deliver the line, "Well boy, I'd masturbate to that. Hell, I might even cum".

Asking for a friend.

Bela Lugosi.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah but he's dead

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Only his body.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The correct answer to the "boy i'd masturbate..." question is Bobcat Goldthwaite.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm gonna watch Shaft

Shaft is pre' decent, but I still prefer Shaft's Big Score and the Singleton movie.

Spatulater bro! posted:

The new MST3K intro is really terrible :(

It really makes you wonder why they couldn't just think of a new 'garage theater' scenario? One thing I love about the early Joel episodes is how much more the performers played into the role of characters being forced to see a movie, becoming jaded and accustomed to their lot in life - as opposed to what's preserved now, which is just the heckling and presumption of superiority. It's basically just the same thing as Rifftrax, but even more frivolous.

I'm cross-posting this visual history I tied together in the streaming thread, just because it's pretty to look at end makes you consider just how important framing, blocking, and aspect ratio can be:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

Shaft is pre' decent, but I still prefer Shaft's Big Score and the Singleton movie.

It really makes you wonder why they couldn't just think of a new 'garage theater' scenario? One thing I love about the early Joel episodes is how much more the performers played into the role of characters being forced to see a movie, becoming jaded and accustomed to their lot in life - as opposed to what's preserved now, which is just the heckling and presumption of superiority. It's basically just the same thing as Rifftrax, but even more frivolous.

I'm cross-posting this visual history I tied together in the streaming thread, just because it's pretty to look at end makes you consider just how important framing, blocking, and aspect ratio can be:

Jonah doesn't seem all that upset to be there, which was an importantly charming aspect of the original show and led to one of the show's (and tv in general's) best scenes, where Mike floats over to Pearl's "porch" and they have a nice chat. I'm hoping they get a second season and find that air of desperation. The width and crispness takes away some of the fun, too, which is funny because it's always been a "theater" conceit but when the frame is square and the seats are big it feels more intimate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

I'm gonna assume original. but, nostalgia for the original asside, I kinda always liked the remake. It was the first R rated movie I ever saw in theatres.

Edit: It goes without saying, the original is great.

The remake's not a bad film, but I've heard it described as "Shaft for white people" and that's the truest thing I've ever heard.

Snak posted:

Nah, I knew exactly what you meant, I. was just being pedantic. It's cool.

That movie is sooo good.

Like, I'm sure there were book nerds who were like "this movie is lame and shallow and doesn't do the books justice", but for me, it epitomizes a genre on film.

It's everything anyone ever could have wanted in terms of grand sword and scorcery. Visually stunning, great score, great cast.

It gets downplayed by a lot of people for the 'lol arnold" factor, but it doesn't deserve it.

My main beef with the film is that they make it a story about revenge. The beautiful thing about Conan in the old books is that he sort of just stumbles into trouble. His parents are fine, he just left home because he was bored.

All the other liberties they take, I'm fine with.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 15, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm hoping they get a second season and find that air of desperation. The width and crispness takes away some of the fun, too, which is funny because it's always been a "theater" conceit but when the frame is square and the seats are big it feels more intimate.

Right. There's an inconsistency between the cultural and technological context that spawned MST3K and MST3K:TR, respectively, and part of it has to do with how MST3K was dealing with poorly preserved artifacts, and MST3K:TR is, like The Movie, dealing with "restored" artifacts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/KidsWriteJokes/status/733959291980369920

Woah kid take it down a notch.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
huh i didnt know John Singleton directed one of the American Crime Story episodes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snak posted:

It'll take place in Germany. Furies Never Say Nein

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

huh i didnt know John Singleton directed one of the American Crime Story episodes

One of the best ones, too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Jason Alexander screams out the window: "Well, boy, I'd masturbate to that, and I'd probably cum too!"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gorman Thomas posted:

Asking for a friend.

Hell, I might even cum, butt-horn!

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 15, 2017

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Snak posted:

The Fine of the Fast (F9 of the Fast), wherein all the characters finally have to pay the millions they owe in speeding tickets.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In the next ten years there will be:
The Furious and the Fast
Fasten
The Fastest of the Furious
The Fast and the Furiousest

And by the time part 13 comes around you can probably start over again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
can't wait for Ocean's Fast Eleven imho

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Do you guys think they reboot the F&F series in 2021 for the 20th anniversary or wait until the 25th?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They will wait far enough into the future that Brian and Mia's son and his cousin (Dom and Letty's daughter) are the new protagonists.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
New Kendrick is prettay prettay good

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

New Kendrick is prettay prettay good

The naming gimmick for this is way better than Untitled Unmastered

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Also I could see John Candy or Melissa McCarthy doing well with that line.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Budgie Jumping posted:

The correct answer to the "boy i'd masturbate..." question is Bobcat Goldthwaite.
Nah, the correct answer was TJ Miller, it just wasn't the funniest answer.

My vote is Don Knotts btw.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

porfiria posted:

Max Landis is insanely douchey, but Chronicle is a really good script and he's dead right about the Star Wars teaser trailer. Also, he may be SMG.

It's a teaser. It's not even a full trailer. And it's for something that doesn't actually need selling

For real he's an idiot

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I can't believe the Artist won best picture in 2012.

If you ask me, I think that were it nominated, Bernie (2011) would have won.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Coffee And Pie posted:

I can't believe the Artist won best picture in 2012.

If you ask me, I think that were it nominated, Bernie (2011) would have won.

:golfclap:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jenny Angel posted:

The Fate of the Furious still has boatloads of charisma at its back, it's a worthy addition to the series on a thematic level, and it keeps the franchise's wonderfully jigsaw approach to set pieces mostly intact, but F Gary Gray is not just as talented of a director as Justin Lin or James Wan doing a Justin Lin impression. There were like two good shots in the whole thing

It was disappointing to see that one of the biggest setpieces were just CG moments and reaction shots.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

DrVenkman posted:

It was disappointing to see that one of the biggest setpieces were just CG moments and reaction shots.

The last 15 years must have been really hard for you

they have been for me too

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

FishBulb posted:

The last 15 years must have been really hard for you

they have been for me too

I think it stands out more given that Gray is such a flat director. At least Wan and Lin have a more dynamic style.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I could storyboard, I would legit try super hard to get on this.

https://nickelodeonanimation-viacom...jun1offset=-240

But alas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/JamesLiamCook/status/853008884113457152

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That poor dog lost his mom and his grandma. :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Episode 8 reviews are in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

That dog is all sorts of jacked up.