Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ratbert90 posted:

This is why I got my ex-boss/mentor to do the board layout for my new company.
weird how that got better results than "some rando friend of a friend from toronto that needed the terms 'creepage & clearance' defined working on a board handling mains"???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

weird how that got better results than "some rando friend of a friend from toronto that needed the terms 'creepage & clearance' defined working on a board handling mains"???

JFC don't trigger me!

My ex-boss is a sonar guru, so I trust him when it comes to things handling lots of power.

*Edit* He also did the entire board layout in two weeks after the specs and parts were finalized.
He also doesn't use auto-route in Altium except for trace-length dependent chips such as DDR.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 14, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

we're all dying. right now

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

JFC don't trigger me!

My ex-boss is a sonar guru, so I trust him when it comes to things handling lots of power.

*Edit* He also did the entire board layout in two weeks after the specs and parts were finalized.
He also doesn't use auto-route in Altium except for trace-length dependent chips such as DDR.

always be hand-routing imvho

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bloody posted:

always be hand-routing imvho

Hand routed traces are so wonderful looking. :allears:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

marketing is bullshit but it has measurable goals at least,

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
wish I had saved it but there is a great picture of a guy on the singapore streets with a hand-printed sign saying that he can do board layout and pcb construction and was looking for work

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I have zero experience in Java but I've received messages from 7 recruiters in the last 24 hours about a Java position. I predict at least 3 more messages before the day is done.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bhodi posted:

wish I had saved it but there is a great picture of a guy on the singapore streets with a hand-printed sign saying that he can do board layout and pcb construction and was looking for work

these guys hang out in my office park in shenzhen with the signs handwritten in chinese

Iverron
May 13, 2012

"What makes you unique?" is getting kinda old in these interviews. I get how to game the question and all, but it's a half step removed from "what kind of animal would you be"? I'm a normal boring guy who touches computers for a living, probably better than average but you'd learn much more about that if you'd quit with the tired cookie cutter questions and just talk with me about the projects I've worked on and products I've delivered.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

*scribbles note to self*: bad culture fit

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Iverron posted:

"What makes you unique?"
the projects I've worked on and products I've delivered.
Not seeing the problem here. Answer the way you want to.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Not seeing the problem here. Answer the way you want to.

That's the point though. Discussions of the position, company and candidate's past experience I find far more informative as the interviewer than doing this business:

Why are you leaving your current job?

*answer*

Ok, what is your greatest weakness?

*answer*

Ok, what would your last boss say about you?

*answer*

Ok, ...

I can spin bullshit for every one of those questions, but that's harder to do when digging into the specifics of actual work.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Iverron posted:

That's the point though. Discussions of the position, company and candidate's past experience I find far more informative as the interviewer than doing this business:

Why are you leaving your current job?

*answer*

Ok, what is your greatest weakness?

*answer*

Ok, what would your last boss say about you?

*answer*

Ok, ...

I can spin bullshit for every one of those questions, but that's harder to do when digging into the specifics of actual work.

these are all meaningless questions that any intelligent person can just answer benignly. you would be surprised how many stupid people will tell you that they're leaving because their boss is a jerk or they don't give them any respect at work or their weakness is for sexy interns

I made the mistake years ago of saying that I prefer to work on new code than maintaining existing code (duh) and then found out I almost lost the job because I apparently didn't want to deal with their existing code base.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

these are all meaningless questions that any intelligent person can just answer benignly. you would be surprised how many stupid people will tell you that they're leaving because their boss is a jerk or they don't give them any respect at work or their weakness is for sexy interns
theyre meant as an intelligence test - as in, are you intelligent enough to understand youre supposed to give the standard meaningless bullshit answers? if you arent, then you may not be suited for a corporate environment where you are expected to deal with standard meaningless bullshit every day

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its the same reason sending a thank you email after an interview is such a good idea - not because the recipient will believe that you really were excited to meet the team and eager to take the next step, but because it shows that you respect the unwritten forms of corporate culture and signalling

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and then follow it up minutes later with the snuff film where you, sobbing and quivering wildly, blow your brains out, demonstrating yout strength of character and principle which will not suffer the indignities of interviewing easily. you're basically hired at that point

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

its the same reason sending a thank you email after an interview is such a good idea - not because the recipient will believe that you really were excited to meet the team and eager to take the next step, but because it shows that you respect the unwritten forms of corporate culture and signalling

lmao. thank you emails are pathetic.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
just give them a
pre:
:thumbsup:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i've never, not once, sent a thankyou email in my 20 year career

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

nothing quite as beta as sending an e mail

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
lol if you think you're important enough to the company or it's employees to even have your name remembered 30 seconds after leaving which is about 10 seconds after the hiring decision's already been made

get that email like "which one is this again?"

e: rules may be different for not corp IT people, for example i don't have a clue how marketers deal with their own. presumably it involves some sort of loyalty gauntlet of bees and knives, or bee coated knives, or bees with knives

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 15, 2017

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

just give them a
pre:
:thumbsup:

i did this over the table post-interview at a career fair

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

did not get called back though

on a separate occasion during an interview for some robotics company, one of their questions was (two-parter) A) how would you find out how many ping-pong balls could fit inside a milk jug, and B) if you had to guess right now what would you estimate. didn't get that job either.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
years ago when I almost became a Mac Genius the big interview question they gave me (at the mall food court) was: how would you design the perfect toilet?

Apparently my answer was either too lovely or not lovely enough.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
had a recruiter call me six goddamn times yesterday afternoon in a fifteen minute span while im with the family at a theme park, loud as hell, and only leave whisper-level messages

i finally duck into a less loud corner to call then, mostly to tell them to stop, and the fucker goes to voicemail. only after I've left a message do I immediately get another call

I tell the guy I'm at a theme park, call me monday when he insists (after having to repeat himself eight times) he conference me with his manager for a very important 3-5 minute call

managers only question after all this poo poo: "are you still interested in this position?" this is for a job discussion that up until now had been completely email based

fuckers

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

FMguru posted:

its the same reason sending a thank you email after an interview is such a good idea -

A what now ?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
just got an offer for more money than i asked for. what now? ask for even more? lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

just got an offer for more money than i asked for. what now? ask for even more? lol

if you already stated your number and they upped it i do feel you should either take it or walk away. learn for the future, but it will make you look bad in a way that matters if you try to argue when they go beating the suggestion you made

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Twerk from Home posted:

insist upon the number you originally quoted as a point of ethics

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Twerk from Home posted:

punch yourself in the nuts for being dumb and then take it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
ok thanks guys for the 3 agreement i'm takin it

Iverron
May 13, 2012

HackerRank not showing why a test failed in the middle of a timed interview quiz is highly stressful.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
a recruiter who went by only "batman" cold-emailed me with some bullshit, so I made fun of his name and then ignored his response. a couple of weeks later he emailed again with new opportunities with a couple of new blockchain clients he had. who makes these people.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

raminasi posted:

a recruiter who went by only "batman" cold-emailed me with some bullshit, so I made fun of his name and then ignored his response. a couple of weeks later he emailed again with new opportunities with a couple of new blockchain clients he had. who makes these people.

it was this guy

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my goth gf posted:

it was this guy

huh, today i learned that "bin" is javanese for "versus"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the one time I want to use the LinkedIn jobs site it is hopelessly broken. literally can't apply for a job from the site or the app. this is your entire loving purpose LinkedIn, jfc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i bet linked could sell "organizational health" metrics crudely based on "how many employees are desperately updating/reaching out to network/etc."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

the one time I want to use the LinkedIn jobs site it is hopelessly broken. literally can't apply for a job from the site or the app. this is your entire loving purpose LinkedIn, jfc

good to see that LinkedIn had fully integrated with MS now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

i bet linked could sell "organizational health" metrics crudely based on "how many employees are desperately updating/reaching out to network/etc."

lol

• Locked thread