Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's not a fact if you're american

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

that's not a fact if you're american

Yeah, I realized after I posted that every voiced game has had it pronounced like that, including Spirits Within. :shobon:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, I realized after I posted that every voiced game has had it pronounced like that, including Spirits Within. :shobon:

USA USA USA :911:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

Cid Raines should've been the final boss of FF13, he's a much more compelling character than the things that are and having a Cid be the main villain of a FF game would be cool

I liked Barthandelus as an antagonist because he was just so happy whenever he was being an rear end in a top hat to the party

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also an immortal machine god is a really cool concept for a villain.

FF13 had so many great ideas that all fell flat.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Least of all Lightning's name. "Hey guys, I want everyone to call me Lightning now."

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OneTwentySix posted:

Least of all Lightning's name. "Hey guys, I want everyone to call me Lightning now."

Its baffling that they went with Lightning instead of Claire. But hey! :japan:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
This WoFF Ultimate Behemoth seems like the worst possible fight to start attempting ultimate clears.

Meteor OHKOs the entire party so I am too scared to attack except right when the counterstance ends. The jerk eventually manages to take someone out and then everything crashes down the slippery slope.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I need more MC2s. My Mage team needs to get more swole. They also need a better buffer/support than Ramza, he feels awkwardly out of place with his shouting only really being good for the hastega. Guess I should pull on the second FF3 banner and pray for Onions. [edit] Decided to throw in Fran for her Breaktastic BSB instead of Ramza. I can always RW a hastega if needed.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 15, 2017

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

This WoFF Ultimate Behemoth seems like the worst possible fight to start attempting ultimate clears.

Meteor OHKOs the entire party so I am too scared to attack except right when the counterstance ends. The jerk eventually manages to take someone out and then everything crashes down the slippery slope.

He doesn't counter retaliated attacks, even if the strategy is more or less pure cheese. I will freely admit that I have no hesitation whatsoever in using it, especially for an Ultimate like this one.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Cador_2004 posted:

He doesn't counter retaliated attacks, even if the strategy is more or less pure cheese. I will freely admit that I have no hesitation whatsoever in using it, especially for an Ultimate like this one.

Thanks for the tip, I downed him now. The fight took like 15 minutes as my only reasonable reta user is weakish 65 Firion, but we got there in the end.

I ran out of protect uses so he got one of my healers near the end but somehow still got the champion rewards too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

wizard on a water slide posted:

I can't get over this guy being a playable character.

He's a playable character in FF2's bonus dungeon. That's more than can be said about numerous FFRK characters.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I finally got the RNG needed to master the D200 Belias Torment CM. Having Tailwind as my only real source of medica was tricky, and I got lucky with a timely use of it after I had just put Shout back up halfway through the fight. I coupled that with Cleansing Strike from Agrias to reduce the weak phase damage I was taking and it seemed to work out.

Not having either Agrias or Orlandeau's BSB/OSB made me worried about damage output, but Agrias en-Holy SSB and a bunch of Saint's Crosses from Orlandeau turned out to be enough. Wall was definitely required as an RW in this case.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NGDBSS posted:

That reminds me, how many characters at this point are final bosses for their respective games? Hopefully I'm not missing anyone.
  • Garland from 1.
  • The Emperor from 2.
  • Cloud of Darkness from 3.
  • Exdeath from 5.
  • Kefka from 6.
  • Sephiroth from 7.
  • Kuja from 9.
  • Jecht from 10 is debatable, since while his powered-up form is the last real boss Yu Yevon is technically after him.
  • Vayne from 12.

Zeid from XI was the main bad guy in the base game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Its baffling that they went with Lightning instead of Claire. But hey! :japan:
In this particular case, it's kind of a fault of the localization; her name was originally Éclair Farron, and Éclair is French for "flash of lightning". So it's more like a guy named Peter calling himself "Rock".
Of course, many would probably think of the pastry first, which is probably why they made the initial change.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I've always been a little confused on something and maybe someone can explain it to me.

Why is it when I use say Vaans BSB which lowers Magic and Def every hit says resist and yet I still get the medal for lowering both of them?

I see the same thing say when I use Ramza and full break but I still get the medals. So like is it work or is not working? How the hell do I tell if it actually worked?

:confused:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It always works, unless it misses, if it says resist it just means you don't get the full effect.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

MarcusSA posted:

So I've always been a little confused on something and maybe someone can explain it to me.

Why is it when I use say Vaans BSB which lowers Magic and Def every hit says resist and yet I still get the medal for lowering both of them?

I see the same thing say when I use Ramza and full break but I still get the medals. So like is it work or is not working? How the hell do I tell if it actually worked?

Resist means that it still worked just at reduced (50%) effectiveness. Just about every boss above 99 difficulty will have it, or else debuffs would be way too effective at mitigation.

Outside of the Leblanc Trio a year ago and the non-Support Nightmares, most things aren't immune to debuffs.

E:f;b

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

resist is not immune. you're lowering the boss's mag/def by half of what it would do to an enemy that didn't resist it. any boss worth caring about has debuff resistance.

it gets goofy when you use, say, rage of halone (minfilia BSB command 1) on a holy-weak boss - the text says resist since the ATK debuff is resisted but you're still dealing double damage from the element.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Resist means reduced effect, not no effect. It actually says No Effect if there's a status effect you're trying to land that the boss is immune to, or Null for elements or debuffs the boss is immune to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ah ok I guess that makes sense? I mean it kinda doesn't but I get where they are going with it. Thats good info to know thanks guys.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Resist in RPG parliance usually means "not as effective", but I can see how it could be read as "This didn't work".

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also the bosses are very anti donald trump

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

Suave Latin Lover Al-Cid

Man, what a weird character

Eagerly awaiting his arrival in FFRK as a better version of Balthier

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What inventory shenanigans do I need to perform to properly order the record materia list?

I want my most common 10 showing up first, but I don't know how I need to shuffle them in/out of the vault and/or favorite them to make this happen.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

victrix posted:

What inventory shenanigans do I need to perform to properly order the record materia list?

I want my most common 10 showing up first, but I don't know how I need to shuffle them in/out of the vault and/or favorite them to make this happen.

Do you favorite them? edit: And then organize by favorites? Because as far as i know that's all you can do.

Combo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 15, 2017

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

also the bosses are very anti donald trump

I've basically never used Wall since I pulled it native because Proshellga + Extreme Vetting get the job done well enough.

Combo posted:

Do you favorite them? edit: And then organize by favorites? Because as far as i know that's all you can do.

Whoever decided "in series order" and "acquisition order" were the only allowed ways to sort RMs needs to be held up for Apology Mythril. You'd think they'd have gotten any of the other litany of sorting options that Relics have by now, but I guess allowing the player to sort by +PHY With Weapon Type or +School Damage would totally break the point of hiding the percentage values in-app.

Andy Waltfeld fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 15, 2017

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Thanks for the tip, I downed him now. The fight took like 15 minutes as my only reasonable reta user is weakish 65 Firion, but we got there in the end.

I ran out of protect uses so he got one of my healers near the end but somehow still got the champion rewards too.
For future reference, the other major classes of uncounterable attacks besides counters are Soul Breaks (such as OSBs) and SUM-typed abilities. So in my case I just brought along Garnet/Alphinaud/Ashe as my damage dealers, using various summons (including Garnet's/Alphinaud's BSB commands) and SBs (like Ashe's OSB) to not care about the gimmick. Still, good job using Drawtaliate there!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Combo posted:

No I know that, but the order IS determined by something else, as far as what is/isn't in your inventory and when it was added or pulled from the vault.

I guess I'll just try vaulting literally everything and pulling out the ones I want first and/or last and see which works right.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
When you sort by favorites it also sorts by Series, just separated out between favorites and non-favorites.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ApplesandOranges posted:

What? No. Zeid was only seen as a bad guy for a little bit in the later bastok missions. And like, even then no-one believed he was really a villian.

Zeid was the hero who beat the shadow lord the first time around, and helped you out in at least 2 other campaigns. He was also the dark knight teacher.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

For future reference, the other major classes of uncounterable attacks besides counters are Soul Breaks (such as OSBs) and SUM-typed abilities. So in my case I just brought along Garnet/Alphinaud/Ashe as my damage dealers, using various summons (including Garnet's/Alphinaud's BSB commands) and SBs (like Ashe's OSB) to not care about the gimmick. Still, good job using Drawtaliate there!

Thanks, the pointers are always appreciated. I could've used Golbez's BSB had I known that but really low on summons otherwise. The only summon abilities I've got are the free ones from 2nd anniversary.

Blinded by hubris after defeating an ultimate fight I tried the Mote dungeons. Got absolutely spanked four times but somehow managed to beat the XIII one, I'm not sure what happened there. Asylum probably was the biggest contributor, what a crazy soul break.

That Ifrit one in particular seemed impressively difficult. By the time I got an action off he had already clobbered 1-2 people to death.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

OneTwentySix posted:

She didn't give herself that nickname.

Also the creators specifically designed her to remind people of Cloud. Hence her Lightning nickname and the similar hair style.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked FF13 but I agree with almost every criticism of it.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nah, he's firmly on the hero's side. His buddy Raogrimm is the Shadow Lord, in what's effectively a recycled Sin plotline from 10.

It's hard to pin a "main villain" on the MMOs. Zeid is not one of them.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Varance posted:

It's hard to pin a "main villain" on the MMOs. Zeid is not one of them.

I dunno, Gaius van Baelsar pretty well qualifies for FF XIV. Even if he's dead. Or at least MMO dead.

Can't really do a main villain for Heavensward though, since it's a giant fuckoff Anger Dragon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Varance posted:

It's hard to pin a "main villain" on the MMOs.

The main villain of FF14 was Hiromichi Tanaka, but he was defeated by the protagonist Yoshi-P. What everyone is playing now is just postgame content.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

UHD posted:

Can't really do a main villain for Heavensward though, since it's a giant fuckoff Anger Dragon.

There is always the Ascians. But if we're talking playable badguy it has to be Gaius.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

UHD posted:

I dunno, Gaius van Baelsar pretty well qualifies for FF XIV. Even if he's dead. Or at least MMO dead.

11 and 14 are very much Shades of Gray in terms of villains. There's so many that there's no "one" to represent, which is by design.

Heavensward: You could technically say Estinien for Heavensward, but that's very much an FF4 Kain scenario. Archbishop Thordan is the other one that gets attention. Ascians, Diabolos, Quickthinks Allthoughts and a few others are also on the villainy list.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Varance posted:

11 and 14 are very much Shades of Gray in terms of villains. There's so many that there's no "one" to represent, which is by design.

Heavensward: You could technically say Estinien for Heavensward, but that's very much an FF4 Kain scenario. Archbishop Thordan is the other one that gets attention. Ascians, Diabolos, Quickthinks Allthoughts and a few others are also on the villainy list.

I want a playable goblin in FFRK really loving bad now. I don't care which one.

But if anyone from the Alexander raid will be added to FFRK, you know it'll be Mide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

NGDBSS posted:

Reflected spells also can't be countered normally. Note that there are some exceptions to ALL of these; FF5's Omniscient, for example, will react to any form of physical damage regardless of whether it's normally subject to counters.

• Locked thread