Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I hope we get some kind of timeskip so that Goten and Trunks get older and we have more Gotenks fun. They sort of seem to be building the "Trunks and Goten sparring and wanting to fight" thing in Super. Maybe some day they'll surpass SSJ1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I've read Dragonball. What do I read after that? What do I ignore

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

RC Cola posted:

you read Dragon Ball 2

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Did you read all of it? I don't remember if the US release has Z separated or not.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I read up to majian buu. Also is there a good site?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RC Cola posted:

Read the newer Bardock story and DB Minus. Then ignore it and watch Super like the rest of us.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

RC Cola posted:

Read Jaco the Galactic Patrolman.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Rirse posted:

Was watching the Dragon Ball Kai episodes I missed on the DVR today...I forgot how brutal and uncomfortable the Videl/Spopovich was. Think after that fight Video stopped fight all together and just turned into a support character like Chi-Chi.

Just a coincidence/bad writing. Super's timeline of changing from 5 years to having Gohan get her pregnant pretty much right away makes things weirder. It's not like she'd help much in fights considering she just learned to fly like a day before Buu shows up. Fav part of that is still Videl getting pissed and breaking Spopovich's neck she didn't know he was basically immortal either she tried to kill that dude. Where is that character it's amazing how much different Android 18 vs Videl are as characters.

I'd like it if Hercule or Videl trained Pan just so we don't have so many Turtle school fighters. I miss that from dragonball :( where's my weird martial arts schools and combat tricks.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 15, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, Gohan could train her, but Gohan doesn't know how to train in ways that aren't incredibly abusive.

"Okay, so Pan sweetie, for your first stage in training, Grandpa Piccolo is going to kill me so I can gently caress off for a year, and then he's going to steal you from mommy and raise you as his own. After that, a giant muscular man will arrive and beat the ever loving poo poo out of you, killing Grandpa Piccolo in the process, and I'll arrive too late to save anyone and won't actually accomplish anything. Okay now this is where it gets tricky-"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

RC Cola posted:

Watch the good DBZ movies, watch Battle of the Gods and Return of F, read the manga of the tournament against fat Beerus's fighting boys, then watch Super from there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Professor Wayne posted:

Watch the good DBZ movies, watch Battle of the Gods and Return of F, read the manga of the tournament against fat Beerus's fighting boys, then watch Super from there.

Nah the Hit Fight is lamer in the manga.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah no the manga for Super is garbage just watch the anime after the Resurrection F Saga

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doesn't the Hit fight in the manga Exclude Kaioken? Considering there's literally an (awesome) episode dedicated to the aftermath of that it'd be weird to not just watch the anime version.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The Super manga turns SSG into a regular powerup which doesn't really make sense.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you ignore the manga, SSG makes total sense as this super powerful form that is nearly on par with Beerus, but only lasts a short time. IT brought Goku to a new height of power, but even as a SSB, he's not as strong as SSJ God

If you include the Manga, Goku surpassed Beerus ages ago and is way more powerful than everyone short of Zeno

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Pretty sure SSG is not more powerful than SSB. Beerus was also only fighting at like 70%.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SSG is cooler when it requires a ritual to do and then leaves a permanent mark of god ki on the person afterwards

as just another transformation stage its not as fun or interesting

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

SSG is cooler when it requires a ritual to do and then leaves a permanent mark of god ki on the person afterwards

as just another transformation stage its not as fun or interesting

p much

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurora posted:

Pretty sure SSG is not more powerful than SSB. Beerus was also only fighting at like 70%.

SSB's other official names is "Super Sayian God Super Saiyan" (as in what happens when you go Super Saiyan as a SSG). It would not actually make any sense for it to be weaker.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SirKibbles posted:

Just a coincidence/bad writing. Super's timeline of changing from 5 years to having Gohan get her pregnant pretty much right away makes things weirder. It's not like she'd help much in fights considering she just learned to fly like a day before Buu shows up. Fav part of that is still Videl getting pissed and breaking Spopovich's neck she didn't know he was basically immortal either she tried to kill that dude. Where is that character it's amazing how much different Android 18 vs Videl are as characters.

I'd like it if Hercule or Videl trained Pan just so we don't have so many Turtle school fighters. I miss that from dragonball :( where's my weird martial arts schools and combat tricks.

It annoyed me a whole lot for Videl, who is completely different in almost every way and so placid it hurts compared to her old self. But for 18 though I think it kind of makes sense, in Z she just came across as a bored teenager who didn't get any particular kick out of fighting in and of itself she was just killing time with near infinite power. When 17 was fighting Piccollo she clearly gives absolutely no shits about what was going on. In the intervening years she just grew up a bit and took on more responsibilities, she still has that ice cold demeanor and can throw a punch if the situation calls for it. A thing I love that Super carries over is how money seems to be a huge motivator for her compared to other characters.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Aurora posted:

The Super version of that scene took out the number, probably because they didn't want to commit to giving Beerus a set power level.

SSG is essentially just turning on a "is a god now" flag.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah as far as I can tell, SSB is literally "Turn into the cool looking form with God ki and fire aura and then go SSj during that form which turns it blue and the hair spiky which is yawn but at least the aura looks/sounds divine"

It's just SSG + SSj = SSB

Further as I can tell, hell, all Goku and Vegeta needed was to see some example of God ki to actually path into it and use it, Beerus essentially opened pandora's box by being a lazy worthless hungry Garfield and allowing Goku to play on his level

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Doesn't the Hit fight in the manga Exclude Kaioken? Considering there's literally an (awesome) episode dedicated to the aftermath of that it'd be weird to not just watch the anime version.

The actual problem with the manga version is that Goku clowns on Hit in base form and then just keeps going through all his forms just to humiliate him more. To have the final match of a tournament just be the protagonist wrecking his opponent isn't very fun or engaging, really.

I haven't read all of the Goku Black arc yet, and honestly don't really feel like doing it, but it seems to be going in the same direction. Goku and Vegeta are basically untouchable and it's the Zamasus playing catch-up rather than vice versa.

The impression I got is that the manga author is just really enamoured with the idea of Goku as the uncontested strongest in the universe and it makes stuff way less interesting, at least to me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

a cartoon duck posted:

The actual problem with the manga version is that Goku clowns on Hit in base form and then just keeps going through all his forms just to humiliate him more. To have the final match of a tournament just be the protagonist wrecking his opponent isn't very fun or engaging, really.

That's how Goku's Dragonball tournaments went, too.

Jackie Chun vs. Goku is great because we're rooting for Jackie against this monster.

ImpAtom posted:

Filler.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Technically both the anime and manga are filler

Caros
May 14, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

I haven't read all of the Goku Black arc yet, and honestly don't really feel like doing it, but it seems to be going in the same direction. Goku and Vegeta are basically untouchable and it's the Zamasus playing catch-up rather than vice versa.

The impression I got is that the manga author is just really enamoured with the idea of Goku as the uncontested strongest in the universe and it makes stuff way less interesting, at least to me.

The manga actually does Black better imho. Goku and Vegeta clown on black but don't finish the job. Zamasu heals him which gets him a Zenkai and Super Saiyan Rose (instead of it appearing from nowhere) at which point he starts beating on Vegeta. They come back, Vegeta fights in Super Saiyan God/Red (which is a transitionary form that is stronger than gold but weaker than blue) and proceeds to slap around Black while the latter is totally confused. Turns out Vegeta has learned to switch on blue just at the moment of impact to save energy.

Goku isn't brain dead retarded (he doesn't let the pot get broken, and he tries to remember the talisman) but he accidentally grabbed a strip club flyer instead. Zamasu breaks out and they fuse.

While the Hit thing was stupid, one nice thing is that the Manga seems to be written by someone who gives slight amounts of fucks about keeping some semblance of order to the power scaling. The various forms have their own uses, and people don't randomly get stronger or weaker for no adequately explored reason, which is nice.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sassassin posted:

That's how Goku's Dragonball tournaments went, too.

Jackie Chun vs. Goku is great because we're rooting for Jackie against this monster.

I'll grant you that Goku's fights in the first two rounds tend to be curb-stomps, but the finals are pretty even. Sure, there's a lot of Goku's opponent being befuddled that this idiot child is actually a genius martial artist, but at the end of all three tournaments both contestants end up almost equally banged up. Doesn't really compare to manga Goku slapping Hit around for a bit and then just forfeiting.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The manga and Anime both have things I think they do better than the other. The Vegeta vs Black thing with vegeta's snap-moments SSB flaring up would have been awesome int he show for example.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Caros posted:

The manga actually does Black better imho. Goku and Vegeta clown on black but don't finish the job. Zamasu heals him which gets him a Zenkai and Super Saiyan Rose (instead of it appearing from nowhere) at which point he starts beating on Vegeta. They come back, Vegeta fights in Super Saiyan God/Red (which is a transitionary form that is stronger than gold but weaker than blue) and proceeds to slap around Black while the latter is totally confused. Turns out Vegeta has learned to switch on blue just at the moment of impact to save energy.

Goku isn't brain dead retarded (he doesn't let the pot get broken, and he tries to remember the talisman) but he accidentally grabbed a strip club flyer instead. Zamasu breaks out and they fuse.

While the Hit thing was stupid, one nice thing is that the Manga seems to be written by someone who gives slight amounts of fucks about keeping some semblance of order to the power scaling. The various forms have their own uses, and people don't randomly get stronger or weaker for no adequately explored reason, which is nice.

holy god no the manga is much worse

black's true nature gets revealed by the others instead of black telling goku while he's beating the poo poo out of him. it's just a waste

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

a cartoon duck posted:

I'll grant you that Goku's fights in the first two rounds tend to be curb-stomps, but the finals are pretty even. Sure, there's a lot of Goku's opponent being befuddled that this idiot child is actually a genius martial artist, but at the end of all three tournaments both contestants end up almost equally banged up. Doesn't really compare to manga Goku slapping Hit around for a bit and then just forfeiting.

Goku vs. Hit wasn't the final.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
the manga has SSG Vegeta which is pretty cool

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The manga is Toyotaro inserting a bunch of stuff from his old fanfics

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The anime is Toei inserting a bunch of stuff from their fanfics sooooo

Anyway, they both have good points and bad. You can prefer one over the other, but neither is "more canon" or "more filler."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Reinanigans posted:

Anyway, they both have good points and bad. You can prefer one over the other, but neither is "more canon" or "more filler."

:hai:

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Caros posted:

Turns out Vegeta has learned to switch on blue just at the moment of impact to save energy.

Wait, isn't the whole thing with Blue that you don't need to do that sort of thing because it's a "calmer" form or whatever? I thought they mentioned that it caused a lot less strain than regular SSJ pretty regularly.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Reinanigans posted:

Nah, the manga's behind, and it copies the plot beats of the anime but makes them worse so it's filler

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Aurora posted:

Buu saga is actually paced pretty well, the Kai was pretty unnecessary

ive been watching kai every week and buu kai is just as glacial as the rest of kai

i actual pulled out my volumes last week and the episode before last was stretching 12 loving pages out of a 17 page chapter into 22 minutes

the last one was about a full chapter though don't worry

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zinkraptor posted:

Wait, isn't the whole thing with Blue that you don't need to do that sort of thing because it's a "calmer" form or whatever? I thought they mentioned that it caused a lot less strain than regular SSJ pretty regularly.

Super Saiyan Blue works differently between the anime and manga. In the anime, it seems to have no weaknesses (beyond Goku saying it is tiring but showing no hints towards being tired at any point during or after its use). In the manga, it's basically SS3-tier of garbage, using it twice in a row lowers its power to around 10% of what it was (lower than God) and it can't be kept for long. Vegeta manages to surpass this limitation by using Super Saiyan God (which he has in the manga, implying that he underwent the SSG ritual there unlike the anime) and switching to Blue only when he attacks.

Goku just uses God because Zamasu is kind of a joke in a fight beyond being completely invincible.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

Worse: IIRC, in the manga, Hit beat Vegeta so easily because just transforming into SSJB was so draining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wow the manga is trash.

Hell even worse, boring trash.

• Locked thread