Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I meant don't read The Leftovers thread until the show starts and people start talking about the show and not dumb stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Escobarbarian posted:

I meant don't read The Leftovers thread until the show starts and people start talking about the show and not dumb stuff

Ohhhhhhhhh. I thought you meant premiere spoilers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

I watched almost 3 seasons of weeds, because a roommate told me that it got good. It was just unfunny garbage the whole time. Not a single character was likeable and the protagonist was just the worst.
Yeah but Mary-Louise Parker is a milf so

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

Hmm it's almost as if she was cast for another reason!

Like I said, 90s show. Remember Xena? That being said I don't think she's the level of bad y'all are putting on her. She's wooden, sure.
There are a million beautiful women in Los Angeles Vancouver. Some of them can act.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Anyone else watching Outsiders? Probably my favourite show that no-one's heard of. Nearly at the end of its second season, too.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Open Source Idiom posted:

Anyone else watching Outsiders? Probably my favourite show that no-one's heard of. Nearly at the end of its second season, too.

It seemed like a hillbilly Sons Of Anarchy so I never gave it a second look. Is it really that good?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

It seemed like a hillbilly Sons Of Anarchy so I never gave it a second look. Is it really that good?

Well, I like it, and I like to think I have good taste? But I've been wrong before.

I've not seen an awful lot of Sons, but what I've seen I didn't particularly enjoy if that helps your comparison. The characters don't spend an awful lot of time on those quad bikes outside the first few episodes; I think they're only there because the show was sold to the Network as being "Appalachian Mad Max: Fury Road", which it's really not.

In content, it's actually a lot closer to Season 2 of Justfied than anything else, but with a more aggressive tone (but, not, like, Kurt Sutter aggressive). It's also all shot on location, so the entire thing looks really lush, and there are some really strong performances from the cast. It's also surprisingly funny at times, though that only starts to happen later on in the show.

So, yeah, like I said, it's my favourite show that nobody ever really talks about. (Though, you know, probably not my actual favourite show. But it deserves a lot more love.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 14, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Longbaugh01 posted:

It's suuuuuuuuper one-note. I fell off it after about 5 episodes. The ATV jousting was pretty cool (happened once) but the rest of it was really dull and predictable. Watch Justified season 2 again instead if you want hill folk weirdos.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
After one episode of new Mst3K:

- Why does it have commercial breaks? Is it airing on broadcast somewhere? I don't mean host segments I've watched MST3K before, I mean it has commercial outros every 15 minutes

- Jonah is fine, Tom and Crow are fantastic, jokes still good

- Not feeling Felicia Day and I usually like her a lot, hopefully she gets better.

- Oswalt is kind of under-used but he definitely looks like he could plausibly be related to TV's Frank

- the first movie is like the 80s Denmark version of Birdemic and it's pretty great

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I believe Joel had syndication or TV airing in mind with the new series so it's formatted that way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh and the Kaiju Rap started kind of lame but then became a thing of beauty, especially the China joke

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What isn't the new MST3K on my Netflix yet? I just got season 1 with 20 episodes. US here.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GreenNight posted:

What isn't the new MST3K on my Netflix yet? I just got season 1 with 20 episodes. US here.

Look for MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE RETURN.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DivisionPost posted:

Thank you very much. This poo poo should be front and center not CHEWING GUM

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

DivisionPost posted:

Hrmpf, not showing up on EU Netflix :smith:.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Popelmon posted:

Hrmpf, not showing up on EU Netflix :smith:.

It's only available to English-speaking territories, unfortunately.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
There's an Italian series called Gomorra that's pretty incredible, especially if you're a Wire/Sopranos fan. Just watched the first two seasons in the course of a week.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
God drat The Expanse is so good.

It has some shortcomings, but it makes up for them if you you can wait for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The song at the end of the second episode of the new MST3K - and I mean the song the filmmakers deliberately put into it - is some insane and hilarious poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just watched the first ep of the new mst3k, and 8t was some funny poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The song at the end of the second episode of the new MST3K - and I mean the song the filmmakers deliberately put into it - is some insane and hilarious poo poo.

That entire movie is something. What, I'm not sure.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
this is adorkable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16nzOOji6eE

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

His natural accent is disturbing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watched the pilot of Harlots. It's kinda good.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've been steamrolling through Empire. Liking it a lot but I get why it didn't have a thread. I think you could save them a lot of production cost with an automated dialogue generator, lovingly called cookie.exe:

-it's about the MUSIC!

-what YOU need to do is get your rear end back in the STUDIO.

-you'd better kill me now, then, cos I'm coming for you.

-I AM empire!

-I HATE this family!

-she did WHAT?

And two subgenerators: one in which Andre explains complex business maneuvers, and another that pulls random Shakespeare quotes.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Is there a thread for those Channel Package services like SliingTV people were talking about? I'd like to see what my options are.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

-Blackadder- posted:

Is there a thread for those Channel Package services like SliingTV people were talking about? I'd like to see what my options are.

Ironically the Cord Cutters thread often talks about cable alternatives. I'd link it but I'm on mobile.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Medullah posted:

Ironically the Cord Cutters thread often talks about cable alternatives. I'd link it but I'm on mobile.

This one? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

There's a show we're not to talk about in here, but it's back and it's awesome.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

That's the one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BSam posted:

Seems unlikely, all 4 of those shows were always bad.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Seems unlikely, all 4 of those shows were always bad.

:argh:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Medullah posted:

Thanks!

BSam posted:

Can we at least get a hint? I'm running out of stuff to watch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There are only 4 shows we aren't allowed to talk about in this thread. They are listed in the OP. Unless I'm in for a very big surprise, there's only one that it could possibly be.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dr. who more like dr. poo.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

-Blackadder- posted:

Out of the 4(5 really) shows in the OP, 3 you can kinda know for sure are either over or not airing yet, the other 2 you can google and figure out in about 30 seconds.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

-Blackadder- posted:

Whom, PhD.

I haven't watched it yet, I'm assuming it loving sucks, but I hate myself so I'm going to.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Ok, browsing through Amazon Prime's stuff...can I get quick goon reviews for Oasis, You are Wanted, The Night Manager, and Fortitude?

And anything else I'm missing, I suppose. It seems like they add new stuff all the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Night Manager is basically Loki playing James Bond and House MD playing the villain. It's fun.

I think Oasis is just the pilot so far so additional episodes, if they come, are over a year away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Mu Zeta posted:

The Night Manager is basically Loki playing James Bond and House MD playing the villain. It's fun.

Add suspense to this in terms of how they are connected in the series and that's the Night Manager.

• Locked thread