Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

OwlFancier posted:

When I tried this it wouldn't give me it. Beat up a fallen empire for it and it drops the tech but salvaging it didn't give me psi jump drives, just the rest of their tech. I know it's a bit random but it seemed quite adamant about it.
Can confirm this, was fighting the Spiritualist FE, got dozens of wrecks, no psi jump drive. I'm fairly certain the only way you can get it now is via psi ascension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I don't really understand how the real missile can be faster than the visible one. In play, ships don't take damage from missiles before the impact of the visible ones, at least not that I've seen.

They actually do, it's most notable with torpedoes on slowest speed, but you will notice that the damages do not line up with the graphics.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow. I'm a signatory of an awoken FE. For reasons totally unknown to me the game thinks I am guaranteeing the independence of a third party (impossible, since I cannot conduct diplomacy as a signatory). The FE declared war on the third party, which dragged me into war on the side of the third party, against the FE I am a signatory of.

poo poo is loving broken. "Paradox" I guess.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baronjutter posted:

I thought it was something like 4 labs to break even?

The real answer is ([+25% of base current research cost] / [number of months it's been taking you to research]), but I should have just said "two." Doing the math again:

First level techs all cost 360. This will take, at the beginning, around 53 months to complete.

Each planet gives +10%, each population [over 10] +1%, so assume each extra size-15 planet yields +25% research cost.

So that first level tech now costs +90, or 450 total. But you have around 50 months to do it in. That means you need just under 2 extra points in a category to even out, or 2 level 1 labs.

If you start cranking up your baseline research, you'll need more for each additional planet to compensate, but the key thing to remember here is that you don't need to get +25% research per month for each new planet, but more like (+25% / number of months it's been taking you).

ulmont fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 15, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Is the Horizon Signal still bugged in 1.5.1 despite what the changelog said? I got it for the first time in ironman today and the last tech is steadfastly refusing to appear, decade after decade.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Just had my first Unbidden crisis event, is it normal for them to be spawning constant 90k doom stacks when everyone else in the galaxy only has 20k at the most?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Just had my first Unbidden crisis event, is it normal for them to be spawning constant 90k doom stacks when everyone else in the galaxy only has 20k at the most?

yes

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So in other words I'm totally hosed. :v:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
What's this thing in the middle of the galaxy?

It pulsates...

Ironman with no mods. Is it some part of an event or a visual glitch?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game has an odd habit of spawning particle effects at random points.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazycryodude posted:

Is the Horizon Signal still bugged in 1.5.1 despite what the changelog said? I got it for the first time in ironman today and the last tech is steadfastly refusing to appear, decade after decade.

I'm pretty sure that there were no fixes to Horizon Signal mentioned in the 1.5.1 patch notes (also I just went and looked at the file and it hasn't changed), so yes it's still bugged.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Back Hack posted:

If you have a fallen empire, I think particularly a materialist one, in the galaxy, they may eventually wake up, start producing fleets, and try to unify the galaxy to fight the threat.

This may, depending on your tendency, be only marginally less terrifying than the unbidden.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Back Hack posted:

that crisis has a bit more going in it than others, so you'll still be fine unless they spawned close to you. start building up your fleet though. and focus on kinetic weapons.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

The game has an odd habit of spawning particle effects at random points.

Ah yeah, should have googled instead of :justpost:. Looks like there are a bunch of reddit threads with various effects that spawn in the middle there, including a rocket in one instance...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OwlFancier posted:

If you have a fallen empire, I think particularly a materialist one, in the galaxy, they may eventually wake up, start producing fleets, and try to unify the galaxy to fight the threat.

This may, depending on your tendency, be only marginally less terrifying than the unbidden.

Xenophiles are also likely to get involved here, actually. Materialists like to stomp out AI rebellions, Xenophiles stop the Prethoryn Swarm, and both are equally likely to oppose the Unbidden.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Constantly throwing wave after wave of fleets into these Unbidden assholes has really opened my eyes to how desperately this game needs some kind of fleet planner/organizer. Micro managing which ships go where from several different spaceports is starting to turn what should be exciting attempt at holding off the never-ending horde of invaders and turning it into a real drag.

:negative:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I have to say, there's nothing quite like conquering and devouring both the Protoss-lookin' Xenophobe FE and Humanity while playing as the Zergling Swarm. I think I'm just gonna call that a win rather then slowly devour the rest of the galaxy.

I loving love Hive Minds, all I want from the next expansion is the option to go full Prethoryn and have biological ships.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure that there were no fixes to Horizon Signal mentioned in the 1.5.1 patch notes (also I just went and looked at the file and it hasn't changed), so yes it's still bugged.

Oh I'm a dummy I was thinking of the quick fix mod somebody posted here a while ago and got it confused with an official fix :doh:. Shame the mod's not ironman compatible.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh I'm a dummy I was thinking of the quick fix mod somebody posted here a while ago and got it confused with an official fix :doh:. Shame the mod's not ironman compatible.

The worst part about this is that before 1.5 came out I had really bad luck with the Signal Horizon quest line even firing and after the update I've had it come up twice in the 3 games I've played... the first time the quest chain broke and I couldn't figure out why. The second time I went and looked up a walkthrough to make sure I hadn't missed something and found out it was broken. I just chose an option that immediately ended the quest chain rather than have it permanently gently caress around with my empire.

Maybe in 1.5.2 when they get around to it...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I have to say, there's nothing quite like conquering and devouring both the Protoss-lookin' Xenophobe FE and Humanity while playing as the Zergling Swarm. I think I'm just gonna call that a win rather then slowly devour the rest of the galaxy.

I loving love Hive Minds, all I want from the next expansion is the option to go full Prethoryn and have biological ships.

I was thinking that with food as a global resource you could make a species that uses it in lieu of materials to build ships.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm pretty sure it is, unless the rarity weight is just loving awful. Multiple people have been coming in and saying this, and it just happened to me too.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Has anyone gotten the bug since the patch where an empire will declare war on you, but then it puts you down as the attacker? Like the warlike birdmen to my north declared war, with the wargoal of taking all of my planets, but the game required me to set my own wargoals, and then had my side listed as the attacker.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

A hive mind expansion would be great, but they need access to at least one trait so they won't all be the Same Thing with slightly different but compatible unfathomable FTL psychic brain networks. It wouldn't even have to conform to the normal grid, just some sort of personality trait to give hives a more focused playstyle.

Some ideas that don't trample on anything non-hives already do:

A Hungry hive which converts conquered non-hive species to livestock rather than just purging them while generating higher threat with neighbors.

A Nurturing hive which takes care of individuals it conquers and can accept refugees, but conquered/adopted non-hive pops don't benefit from happiness and receive... I dunno, a -25% output on food/energy/minerals and a -50% on science tiles? Just because they just don't comprehend what it is the Hive Mind is trying to accomplish at any given moment.

A Curious hive perhaps with bonus chance to find anomalies but possibly restricted from choosing non-risky options on some of them (like the plant pheromones one, or shooting the ghost science ship) because it wants to see what happens.

An Empathic hive with a lessened Hive Mind diplomacy penalty and/or faster trust growth, which can't fight aggressive wars.

A Faithful hive which knows it was created for a purpose and is simply biding time to fulfill it, which receives a bonus on defensive wars but possibly can't turn down demands from one of the game's fallen empire and/or whom immediately allies with (or gets to choose to ally with) the prethoryn scourge.

A Psychic hive with access to the psychic tree rather than the genetic engineering tree.

A Parasitic hive which automatically converts conquered pops into hive minded ones but whom all the neighbors (even other hive minds) loathe.

A Collective hive that can chose a single leader agenda/bonus every 50 years or so but which doesn't have an immortal leader.

An Inscrutable hive, which is exactly what we have now. No bonuses or penalties, players can do whatever they feel like.

Basically I want hives to have a reason to dislike one another and more excuses for non-hive races to like (or hate) them. Hive DLC when? :haw:

Edit: Hey, Wiz, QOL idea: instead of building and then upgrading buildings, can we build the maximum-rank building the population/government building currently permits (for the combined cost) and upgrade from there as necessary? My hand is starting to ache and it would save so much clicking.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 15, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

OwlFancier posted:

I was thinking that with food as a global resource you could make a species that uses it in lieu of materials to build ships.

That'd be interesting as an Ascension, either as it's own or an addition to Biological. Build Ether Drakes or something. Build the Swarm. Build out of food in general.

I've only encountered one thing that screws with Ether Drakes by modding, and it's in Chinese;

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=828731704

I have to imagine that trying to use this on an English installation just would break the damm thing.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 15, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, adding a tech or effect to the final biological ascension perk that lets you build things out of food instead of minerals would be a really cool way to spice it up.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The only thing to make this game perfect for me would be something to influence the civics of other civilizations and a senate/royal court thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PoptartsNinja posted:

A hive mind expansion would be great, but they need access to at least one trait so they won't all be the Same Thing with slightly different but compatible unfathomable FTL psychic brain networks. It wouldn't even have to conform to the normal grid, just some sort of personality trait to give hives a more focused playstyle.

A Hungry hive which converts conquered non-hive species to livestock rather than just purging them while generating higher threat with neighbors.

A Nurturing hive which takes care of individuals it conquers and can accept refugees, but conquered/adopted non-hive pops don't benefit from happiness and receive... I dunno, a -25% output on food/energy/minerals and a -50% on science tiles? Just because they just don't comprehend what it is the Hive Mind is trying to accomplish at any given moment.

A Curious hive perhaps with bonus chance to find anomalies but possibly restricted from choosing non-risky options on some of them (like the plant pheromones one, or shooting the ghost science ship) because it wants to see what happens.

An Empathic hive with a lessened Hive Mind diplomacy penalty and/or faster trust growth, which can't fight aggressive wars.

A Faithful hive which knows it was created for a purpose and is simply biding time to fulfill it, which receives a bonus on defensive wars but possibly can't turn down demands from one of the game's fallen empire and/or whom immediately allies with (or gets to choose to ally with) the prethoryn scourge.

A Psychic hive with access to the psychic tree rather than the genetic engineering tree.

A Parasitic hive which automatically converts conquered pops into hive minded ones but whom all the neighbors (even other hive minds) loathe.

A Collective hive that can chose a single leader agenda/bonus every 50 years or so but which doesn't have an immortal leader.

An Inscrutable hive, which is exactly what we have now. No bonuses or penalties, players can do whatever they feel like.

Basically I want hives to have a reason to dislike one another and more excuses for non-hive races to like (or hate) them. Hive DLC when? :haw:

Edit: Hey, Wiz, QOL idea: instead of building and then upgrading buildings, can we build the maximum-rank building the population/government building currently permits (for the combined cost) and upgrade from there as necessary? My hand is starting to ache and it would save so much clicking.

To add to this, it'd be cool to have the ability to become a Hive Mind through Psychic or Cybernetic means. You can become a single intelligence running on a trillion psychic brains, or accidentally yourself into the Borg.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Just had a holy guardian FE demand I step of some worlds. Tomb world and a moderately okay ocean world. Neither listed as holy worlds - what gives?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Clanpot Shake posted:

Just had a holy guardian FE demand I step of some worlds. Tomb world and a moderately okay ocean world. Neither listed as holy worlds - what gives?

Asking you to get off tomb worlds is at least in keeping with Stellaris spiritualism. They don't like it when you interfere with them, but it's apparently totally cool to terraform them.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

tomb worlds are considered holy worlds to them, but don't have the modifier that gaia worlds do.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

So there appears to be a bug with unlocking the full psychic potential of client species in your empire. It makes the unlocked species into your primary species and resets your primary species rights to the default. I had a single solitary planet full of xenos and they're now the primary species over my space elves living on 20 worlds.

This happened to me, too, it's weird and annoying.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

They don't like you settling tomb worlds, disturbing the graves of the dead and all that. The ocean world is a bit weird, but I guess you could handwave it as a punishment for breaking the no tomb worlds rule.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

GlyphGryph posted:

The Unity stuff is meant as a buff for Empires that want to focus on internal development instead of expansion. It makes perfect sense for internally focused empires to be able to develop a broad array of traditions to streamline and optimize their society. It's not meant to be a differentiator between different internally focused empires, it's supposed to differentiate internally focused empires from ones that are not so much and have to choose.

I really really like the current implementation. I think it actually works really well right now... with the caveat that ascension perks being based on completed trees is not my favorite mechanic, and a lot of them are boring.

Honestly, I'd like to see more ways to get ascension perks. I know Utopia Expanded added more available researchable perk slots, but something else, too, like killing leviathans gives you a slot, maybe a rare event with a high trust curator could give you one, etc etc.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MShadowy posted:

Lots of good stuff

I want transport ships to have a research upgrade that allowd them to sectionally encase regular cruisers or frigates inhibiting their functions, but later tech allows you to make the transport ships compliment the frigates and cruisers (build 'tall' little ships) performance, I.e. more health maneuver weapons, like a repeatable tech.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

PoptartsNinja posted:

Personally, I think they could make the Civic system handle that--in fact, that's probably how Civics should work to begin with. More things like Fanatic Purifiers. Game changing differences. Like a Parliamentary civic that gives factions more power/influence on the empire and the ability to force policy changes, (maybe even needing parliamentary approval to go to war, etc). Though you could probably separate them out--Major Civics as the game changers, and Minor Civics as the numbers, just so buggy things wouldn't happen by stacking game changers.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

this sure is a thing

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Honestly, you would think spiritualists would have a far bigger problem with genetic engineering than people killing themselves by losing their 'souls' in a machine conversion.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I feel like Fallen Empires awaken way too early in the game based on fleet power. In the last four games I've played (split over this patch and the last), one FE has awoken before the crisis in every single one.

This kind of bugs me because an Awakened Empire is a way bigger threat to the galaxy than the crises because the crises Empires take a while to get rolling, whereas the Awakened Empires go from 0-100 right away. It often takes a while to build up to take on an Awakened Empire if they awaken early on, but once you've done that you have a huge fleet that then trivialises whatever crisis then shows up about thirty years later.

I feel like awakening needs to come much later, with a corresponding further boost in the threat level of the AE.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So it has been over a week and I literally only just learned I could change my governing ethics by embracing factions...

Well I guess it's going to be Agrarian Idyll starter every time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Back Hack posted:

Constantly throwing wave after wave of fleets into these Unbidden assholes has really opened my eyes to how desperately this game needs some kind of fleet planner/organizer. Micro managing which ships go where from several different spaceports is starting to turn what should be exciting attempt at holding off the never-ending horde of invaders and turning it into a real drag.

:negative:

Can't you use rally points for this? New ships always go to the closest rally point. They check for fleet rallies first, if you don't have any of those then they check for planets.

• Locked thread