Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Apocalypto is good movie and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. We Were Soldiers is middling and other Mel Gibson flicks suck, yes, but Apocalypto is good, and it's admirable imo to make a film about indians filmed entirely in the appropriate language.

He tried that with The Passion , too. Then promptly hosed it up by having everyone speak Latin instead of koine Greek. With Church pronunciation even! :argh:

Least it wasn't Britain's fault in this one I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

feedmegin posted:

He tried that with The Passion , too. Then promptly hosed it up by having everyone speak Latin instead of koine Greek. With Church pronunciation even! :argh:

Least it wasn't Britain's fault in this one I guess.

Wouldn't they have been speaking Aramaic? Or at least the common people, the Roman administration would have likely used koine

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The legitimacy of the Catholic church is based on a Greek dad joke.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squalid posted:

Wouldn't they have been speaking Aramaic? Or at least the common people, the Roman administration would have likely used koine

Yeah by 'everyone' I was thinking of the Romans and those talking to them. They apparently did use grammatical but hideously pronounced Aramaic in the movie too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

If you price the MOAB by taking the development cost plus the cost of the initial order and then divide it among the number that have been used in wartime, well, it's like a $300 million bomb we dropped because it's the first one. The actual ticket price is of course lower because you don't count the program cost like that but it's a solid example of Pentagon wars poo poo where we just heap millions on arms manufacturers for poo poo we never use outside Aberdeen or wherever the appropriate proving ground/testing range is.

It was developed in 2002 and has been in the stockpile since 2003 so that bomb almost made it to high school.

I know Aberdeen can be a bit rough but I don't think you need to flatten with with fuel air munitions.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Groda posted:

And extremely bad Roman lawyering.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry to bring this up, but discussion of The Patriot sucking got my attention: Are there any blood movies depicting combat/warfare of that era? Furthermore are any on Netflix?

v: crap, fixed the typo.

e2: ok, third try

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 14, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Sorry to bring this up, but discussion of The Patriot sucking got my attention: Are there any food movies depicting combat/warfare of that era? Furthermore are any on Netflix?

Babette's Feast? :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Sorry to bring this up, but discussion of The Patriot sucking got my attention: Are there any wood movies depicting combat/warfare of that era? Furthermore are any on Netflix?

v: crap, fixed the typo.

Might want to try that again champ.

edit: Johnny Treemain

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The scenes in Barry Lyndon are kind of good.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Last of the Mohicans, maybe.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Disinterested posted:

The scenes in Barry Lyndon are kind of good.

That and The Duelists for both good movies of that era if you squint.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Waterloo has its moments, at least in terms of actually being the only movie that can give you even a rough idea of scale.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ice Fist posted:

A real shame. It had a long life ahead of it.

To tell you the truth your mom and I wanted to give moaby the happiest life possible so instead of seeing him trapped in the armory all sad and lonely we found a wonderful valley in Afghanistan with lots of caves and mountains to explore

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i have heard there is a scene of pike combat complete with a rodelero serving as a captain's bodyguard in a movie called The New World but i've never seen it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So obviously it's not a movie, but War and Peace has some incredibly vivid and amazing battle scenes. Tolstoy (who was a veteran of Sevastopol himself) uses a lot of what we might nowadays describe as "cinematic" techniques to effect them: he zooms in and out, he pans across the landscape, he cross cuts between characters in different locations, etc. You've got Borodino, Austerlitz, Russian partisan actions, and more. Even if you aren't interested in going through the whole book (although, of course, you should) those passages are well worth checking out.

e: as movies go Ran has some great sequences

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 14, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Groda posted:

lol

Also the best Gibson movie is Payback, and the most historically accurate is Mad Max.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fuligin posted:

So obviously it's not a movie, but War and Peace has some incredibly vivid and amazing battle scenes. Tolstoy (who was a veteran of Sevastopol himself) uses a lot of what we might nowadays describe as "cinematic" techniques to effect them: he zooms in and out, he pans across the landscape, he cross cuts between characters in different locations, etc. You've got Borodino, Austerlitz, Russian partisan actions, and more. Even if you aren't interested in going through the whole book (although, of course, you should) those passages are well worth checking out.

e: as movies go Ran has some great sequences

The War and Peace TV series with Paul Dano doesn't have as much of the battle stuff as the books, but has a pretty good scene at Borodino which gets across how confusing and deadly a Napoleonic battle was from the point of view of a random dude on the ground.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Duellists is totally awesome and seems fairly accurate to my untrained eye.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's pretty good once you get used to the actors yeah.

I quite like most bits of The Charge Of The Light Brigade, except for how weirdly merciless it was on Raglan, lack of the French and for some reason one of the Wars most one of the most notable strong female correspondents and source being turned into some weird camp follower who wanted to jump Cardigans bones. I also found it weird how they used Nolan and made him a composite character for some reason?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rob Roy is famous for its sword fights.

I also saw the 1970s version of The Three Musketeers and it does seem like there's some accuracy in there as far as it went (except for Raquel Welch being married to that gross old dude.)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

lol

Also the best Gibson movie is Payback, and the most historically accurate is Mad Max.

Wot, no love for Attack Force Z?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Zulu (1964) fairly accurate as I recall.

The Charge of the Light Brigade and Rob Roy are both excellent.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

The Duellists is totally awesome and seems fairly accurate to my untrained eye.
there's a modern moustache in it but it's otherwise great

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Combat Car M1

Queue: T18 HMC, M10 Wolverine, Infantry Tank MkI, Hummel, LT vz. 38, Pz38(t), E-50 and E-75, Hellcat trials in the USSR, Allied fictional tanks, crazy Soviet tanks, Light Tank M3A3, Char B1 in German service, Renault NC, Renault D1, Renault R35, Renault D2, Renault R40, 25 mm Hotchkiss gun, LT vz 35, Praga AH-IV, Praga LTL and Pzw 39, T-60 production in difficult years, big guns for the KV-1, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT

Available for request:

:911:

:britain:

:ussr:
T-37 with ShKAS
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
SU-76 prototype
SU-26/T-26-6
T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:france:

:godwin:
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
PzII Ausf. D through E
PzII Ausf. F
PzII trials in the USSR
Pak 97/38
7.5 cm Pak 41
s.FH. 18
Maus in the USSR NEW

:eurovision:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Nebakenezzer posted:

Rob Roy is famous for its sword fights.

I also saw the 1970s version of The Three Musketeers and it does seem like there's some accuracy in there as far as it went (except for Raquel Welch being married to that gross old dude.)

Rob Roy is famous for its swordfights because they go on forever, which people mistake for goodness. A historically accurate swordfight is basically impossible to find in a movie because it is not dramatic. Arn the Knight Templar has a duel that strikes a good balance between realism and accuracy imo.

This is much closer to realism (though obviously not analogous since these guys arent fighting for their lives) https://youtu.be/lZPOQDkcu4c

Fights are fast and movements are compact and efficient, which means the audience can't see what's going on until the blood starts spurting.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This is much closer to realism (though obviously not analogous since these guys arent fighting for their lives) https://youtu.be/lZPOQDkcu4c

Fights are fast and movements are compact and efficient, which means the audience can't see what's going on until the blood starts spurting.

Interesting!

God these guys are scoring like basketball players

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Rob Roy is famous for its swordfights because they go on forever, which people mistake for goodness. A historically accurate swordfight is basically impossible to find in a movie because it is not dramatic. Arn the Knight Templar has a duel that strikes a good balance between realism and accuracy imo.

The movie duel I thought was most similar to those descriptions in that funny webpage with the description of old dueling injuries was actually in The Revenant, with the final fight between Tom Hardy and DeCaprio reminding me a lot of those absurd cases. Of course those probably weren't typical duels, but it was still a nice change of pace from guys falling dead instantly.

fake edit: Oh I found the webpage, I think it was originally shared in the medieval LARP thread?

"The Dubious Quick Kill posted:

Two duelists, identified only as "His Grace, the Duke of B " and "Lord B ", after an exchange of exceptionally cordial letters of challenge met in the early morning to conduct their affair with pistols and swords. The combat began with a pistol ball inflicting a slight wound to the Duke's thumb. A second firing was exchanged in which Lord B was then wounded slightly. Each then immediately drew his sword and rushed upon the other with reckless ferocity. After an exchange of only one or two thrusts, the two became locked corps a corps. Struggling to free themselves by "repeated wrenches," they finally separated enough to allow the Duke to deliver a thrust which entered the inside of Lord B 's sword arm and exited the outside of the arm at the elbow. Incredible as it may seem, his Lordship was still able to manage his sword and eventually drove home a thrust just above Duke B 's right nipple. Transfixed on his Lordship's blade, the Duke nevertheless continued, attempting repeatedly to direct a thrust at his Lordship's throat. With his weapon fixed in His Grace's chest, Lord B now had no means of defense other than his free arm and hand. Attempting to grasp the hostile blade, he lost two fingers and mutilated the remainder. Finally, the mortally wounded Duke penetrated the bloody parries of Lord B's hand with a thrust just below Lord B 's heart.

In the Hollywood swashbucklers this scene might well have have ended at this point, if not long before, but real life often seems to have a more incredible, and certainly in this case, more romantic outcome. Locked together at close quarters and unable to withdraw their weapons from each other's bodies for another thrust, the two stood embracing each other in a death grip. At this point the seconds, attempting to intercede, begged the pair to stop. Neither combatant would agree, however, and there they both remained, each transfixed upon the blade of the other until, due to extensive blood loss, his Lordship finally collapsed. In doing so, he withdrew his sword from the Duke's body and, staggering briefly, fell upon his weapon, breaking the blade in two. A moment later, the "victorious" Duke deliberately snapped his own blade and, with a sigh, fell dead upon the corpse of his adversary.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was wincing the whole time I read that.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Asking as a complete amateur, what would this fight have looked like were the two in full armor and meaning to kill one another? Slow, samurai-movie duel circling, followed by fast thrusts to try to get around the armor? Wrassling until one was down and the other could finish him off? Bonking each other on the armor until one fell and then a coup de gras? Or, if on a battlefield, two guys briefly overpowering the single other so they could dispatch him fast?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably very silly if they were using fencing sabers.

If they were using long swords or similar, try and wrestle the other guy down, smack him with your sword hilt, then grab the pointy end of your own sword with your offhand and try to position it at the arm or neck joint and then jam it in there as hard as you can.

Armoured knights would generally not fight each other with swords so much, rather they'd use hammers or picks to punch through the armour, or in the hopes of just braining each other hard enough to do some damage, or they'd use something like a rondel dagger, which is basically a metal stake that you smack the pommel of to jam it through armour.

You can fight a guy in armour with a sword but you would probably have to halfsword it and use it like a short spear, or grab it by the blade and try to beat them over the head with the hilt. Sword strokes just aren't very effective against plate armour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi757-7XD94

(not strictly correct, you can grab a sharp blade if you do it right, doesn't have to be blunt)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo

Comedy option: Unscrew your pommel and throw it at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jETLCm7k3sU

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 15, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tree Bucket posted:

I was wincing the whole time I read that.

Some of the montage duels in The Duelists get very close to this but they get so tired they drop their swords and grapple bloodily or just get pulled apart by the watching seconds. Nobody loses a thumb, or eye or the use of a limb though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On a more modern note, how effective has modern body armour been on reducing casualties? When looking at the very low mortality rates from Iraq/Afghanistan, I've always heard that body armour and quick medivac are the main two reasons why: does anyone have any links to further reading on the subject? Wasn't sure whether this should go here or the Cold War thread in TFR.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

nothing to seehere posted:

On a more modern note, how effective has modern body armour been on reducing casualties? When looking at the very low mortality rates from Iraq/Afghanistan, I've always heard that body armour and quick medivac are the main two reasons why: does anyone have any links to further reading on the subject? Wasn't sure whether this should go here or the Cold War thread in TFR.

No links, but the US Army studied the living poo poo out of this (I want to say in the 80s, could be earlier) looking at casualties from WW1, WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. The tl;dr for anything vietnam and earlier is that it's all about getting quality medical care asap. People in vietnam start surviving truly horrific injuries because someone's able to get to them right after they're hit and they get on a helicopter to a full hospital really fast.

Anecdotally I've heard lots about body armor just flat out reducing injuries, period. A guy in a class I"m teaching is ex-USMC and he's got some pretty :stare: stories about catching a round to the chest in Afghanistan and trucking along with a bruise and a fractured plate in his carrier. A TFR regular who's not around any more was in the canadian military and had a story that basically went "An Afghan shot me in the chest, and then I shot him back. The difference was he didn't have a vest on."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The ineffectiveness of movie armor is one of the things that really irritates me. Like I'm pretty sure all of these dudes in armor aren't wearing it just because it makes them look sweet, but Hollywood apparently operates on that assumption.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

PittTheElder posted:

The ineffectiveness of movie armor is one of the things that really irritates me. Like I'm pretty sure all of these dudes in armor aren't wearing it just because it makes them look sweet, but Hollywood apparently operates on that assumption.

I'm sort of wondering if it's possible to present these things in a fashion that's recognisable to the general audience and be somewhat authentic. We have a century of cinematography telling people that they basically can hide behind car doors when somebody shoots at them, or people drop dead when you shoot or stab them, etc.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There are a lot more amputations now that soldiers are wearing body armour (without the armour they'd have been fatalities instead).

I believe this is in much the same way as helmets caused an "increase" in head injuries in WWI, from shrapnel and other falling debris.

Anyway the takeaway from all this is that kevlar marks your limbs fall off.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 15, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GotLag posted:

There are a lot more amputations now that soldiers are wearing body armour (without the armour they'd have been fatalities instead).

I believe this is in much the same way as helmets caused an "increase" in head injuries in WWI, from shrapnel and other falling debris.

Anyway the takeaway from all this is that kevlar marks your limbs fall off.

That's sort of like the dude who realized that you need to armour the pieces of the plane that were shot off, not the ones that are left. Seems obvious in hindsight, but he came up with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I recall it was armour the bits that weren't shot off because obviously the bits that were shot off weren't very important if you got the plane back without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, if the plane comes back without some bits, they weren't important anyway. The planes that lost the important bits didn't come back.