Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Listen man just come sit on the throne for like 30 seconds. I promise you can come right back. It might be a little toasty but hey do you wanna help me become the new dark lord or not?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Weird, I just sunbroed for a guy in Consumed King's Garden and it was daylight there, ie the sun wasn't hemorrhaging yet. The area looked really cool in the daylight. The boss arena was a lot brighter too. Visual glitch, or is there someway to get there without the sun dying? I don't remember it looking like that when I killed the Dancer earlier, which I think is the trigger.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think Lothric wants an Age of Fire or an Age of Dark, as he views living itself as a curse. He wants the flame to sputter and fade out completely, causing the world to revert back to the Age of Ancients where everything is stagnant and unchanging.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Rough Lobster posted:

I hate to break it to you but I get the feeling those two get up to some weird poo poo in that giant bedroom of theirs. Like, hillbilly stuff.

Ugh incest ships

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought I'd do some Ugs and claymore action so I maxed them out and then I remembered I fuckin hate great swords :doh:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

skasion posted:

Yeah one locust is not much of a problem, but two or three locusts is no joke.

I think it was real neat that the baby locusts start off running away but eventually dive bomb attack you too. They hurt more than you might expect.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

He's Guts.

Gael is also Guts.

You are also kinda Guts.

He's very not Guts. It's suggested that he falls to the Abyss because he's too drat pure, which is about the opposite of Guts. He's also a god, which is very un-Guts, who is all about being human. He sacrifices himself for a cause, which is exactly what Guts refuses to do.

The PC is very Guts though.

e: the funny thing is that the DS games don't even have the most blatantly Guts character (yes it is a race; Japanese game devs love them some Guts). That prize goes to Arngrim in Valkyrie Profile, who is literally just Guts. He's so Guts that I have to wonder if they didn't get permission in advance to avoid being sued.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 15, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly the story of Artorias and the Abyss never made much sense to me.

OK, he made a covenant with the Abyss... when was this exactly, before or during Oolacile?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

He's very not Guts. It's suggested that he falls to the Abyss because he's too drat pure, which is about the opposite of Guts. He's also a god, which is very un-Guts, who is all about being human. He sacrifices himself for a cause, which is exactly what Guts refuses to do.

The PC is very Guts though.

I actually meant in terms of visual design. He's very reminiscent of Berserker Armor Guts, in moveset as well.

I don't care much for Soulsborne lore or backstories, so I don't compare them in that case.

Iron Tarkus is also a Guts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tallgeese posted:

OK, he made a covenant with the Abyss... when was this exactly, before or during Oolacile?

During, presumably. He left Oolacile to go to the abyss and stop it, but he couldn't and got consumed. While he was there he imprisoned Sif with his greatshield to keep him safe. We see the results in person when he comes back out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I actually meant in terms of visual design. He's very reminiscent of Berserker Armor Guts, in moveset as well.

I don't care much for Soulsborne lore or backstories, so I don't compare them in that case.

Iron Tarkus is also a Guts.

Oh, for sure. Aesthetically, there's a lot of Guts going on in DS in general. Like there's a reason there's Greatswords and then Ultra Greatswords :allears: (Incidentally the Black Knight Greatsword is literally translated as Dragonslayer in some versions).

Actually reading Berserk is interesting because it turns out a lot of my favorite games were basically riffing on it hardcore. FFT and Vagrant Story are basically Final Fantasy Berserk 1 and 2.

(Vagrant Story is also much closer to being Souls -1 than King's Field. The biggest differences are a much less dynamic gameplay and more focus on narrative. It was also a Famitsu darling).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 15, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Before. The whole reason he was sent to Oolacile was because he already faced down the Abyss in New Londo (for all the good that did...). That's also why he was gifted the Silver Pendant.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hodgepodge posted:

Oh, for sure. Aesthetically, there's a lot of Guts going on in DS in general. Like there's a reason there's Greatswords and then Ultra Greatswords :allears: (Incidentally the Black Knight Greatsword is literally translated as Dragonslayer in some versions).

Actually reading Berserk is interesting because it turns out a lot of my favorite games were basically riffing on it hardcore. FFT and Vagrant Story are basically Final Fantasy Berserk 1 and 2.

(Vagrant Story is also much closer to being Souls -1 than King's Field. The biggest differences are a much less dynamic gameplay and more focus on narrative. It was also a Famitsu darling).

Also all the ultra greatswords are just called greatswords because they're god sized.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Genocyber posted:

Before. The whole reason he was sent to Oolacile was because he already faced down the Abyss in New Londo (for all the good that did...). That's also why he was gifted the Silver Pendant.

Honestly it's extremely difficult to square the pre- and post-DLC backstory of DS1 on this. Oolacile is clearly portrayed as having come before New Londo, it's an ancient lost land of strange magic which predates the other recent structures of undead civilization in Lordran (like the Burg), whose inhabitants may not have even been undead, and of which nothing but a handful of ruins in the wood remains. The drowning of New Londo on the other hand is "within living memory" so to speak: while the undead kingdom there has fallen, the city itself still exists though dilapidated and full of corpses. Yet the way item descriptions in the base game talk about Artorias makes it seem a lot like he fought in New Londo. How can this be reconciled to the DLC in which it's clear that he entered the Chasm of the Abyss in Oolacile (which is explicitly the original form of the later Abyss under New Londo) and died in Oolacile shortly thereafter? I feel like one either needs to conclude that the item descriptions are unreliable narrator (which could certainly be the case but kind of undercuts our ability to know anything about these games besides the basic plot at all); or just totally dismiss the way that the DLC portrays things as being reliable, which is also a bit of a non-starter; or else accept it as retcon.

e: also the silver pendant description is kind of ambiguous. "Presented to Artorias for facing the Abyss" makes it sound like it was a reward for already having faced it, but could also mean (less idiomatically) that it was given to him in preparation so that he could face the Abyss to begin with. In Japanese the pertinent line is アノール・ロンドの古い宝具の1つであり深淵に挑む彼に特別に贈られたもの, which I ~think~ implies the latter (that it was particularly gifted to him in order to challenge the Abyss) rather than the former, but I'm not fluent enough to say for sure.

skasion fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 15, 2017

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
For anyone having trouble with Aldrich, might I recommend a Ledo Hammer +5 run? You basically only have to put up with 4-5 teleports and it's finished.

In all seriousness, that's the easiest time I've ever had with Aldrich, and I know the Big Fuckoff Hammer was a big part, but I think the bigger part was that he never once used his Tracking Arrows. Was it luck or because I rushed him hard every teleport? :iiam:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I liked it when you got knocked down in DS1 because you always had to wait for your character to get up, and trying to smash the roll button only got you into trouble. Whereas in 3 and Bloodborne, you have to mash because you can get hit on the ground and that's bullshit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mary had a little clam posted:

For anyone having trouble with Aldrich, might I recommend a Ledo Hammer +5 run? You basically only have to put up with 4-5 teleports and it's finished.

In all seriousness, that's the easiest time I've ever had with Aldrich, and I know the Big Fuckoff Hammer was a big part, but I think the bigger part was that he never once used his Tracking Arrows. Was it luck or because I rushed him hard every teleport? :iiam:

It's luck. Sometimes rushing directly into range will trigger a melee attack, and sometimes he'll be a dick and use Moonlight Arrow anyway.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Aldrich's difficulty comes down entirely to how much he uses his garbage melee attacks rather than teleporting away.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Aldrich's difficulty comes down entirely to how much he uses his garbage melee attacks rather than teleporting away.

He's honestly my least favorite boss in the game just because of how much RNG figures in to the fight's difficulty. I've had runs where he absolutely refuses to use his melee attack and just spams Moonlight Arrow or Soul Spears nonstop, and then I've had runs where he used a melee attack, I whacked his tail like 7 times, and then he did another melee attack, which is something I'd never even seen before.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tallgeese posted:

Obviously he never did and the Covenant of Artorias is actually our own artifact from the past that's our future that hasn't happened yet.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Holy poo poo I played the first little part of this and completely forgot about it because of other games. Dark souls 1(and 2) are like my favorite games of all time. How do goons rank this among the three now that it's been out for a good chunk of time now? And how good is the DLC?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's my personal fav and the DLC has some really great bosses(and I think undead match, which is a really good way to do 1v1 pvp, is locked behind the DLC?)

ds1 is great but a looot of it has aged badly imo, especially the lategame, and ds2 has some design choices I don't agree with much and not many areas I enjoy despite having great pvp. demon's souls is ok but again I don't like a lot of areas, or having to find healing areas. bloodborne is my second favorite despite having the same healing items problem because it's just so fuckin good

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Holy poo poo I played the first little part of this and completely forgot about it because of other games. Dark souls 1(and 2) are like my favorite games of all time. How do goons rank this among the three now that it's been out for a good chunk of time now? And how good is the DLC?

It's pretty good? Unlike DkS1 and 2, the game doesn't feel unfinished or stitched together from half-baked ideas.

That said Dks3 made me realize I don't like the series much excluding Bloodborne. But if I had to pick one, it would be this.

Never played DLCs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'd say I rank 3 on the level with 1, with 2 just barely behind them and Scholar of the First Sin bringing up the rear. Bloodborne is better than all of 'em though v:v:v

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

skasion posted:

Honestly it's extremely difficult to square the pre- and post-DLC backstory of DS1 on this. Oolacile is clearly portrayed as having come before New Londo, it's an ancient lost land of strange magic which predates the other recent structures of undead civilization in Lordran (like the Burg), whose inhabitants may not have even been undead, and of which nothing but a handful of ruins in the wood remains. The drowning of New Londo on the other hand is "within living memory" so to speak: while the undead kingdom there has fallen, the city itself still exists though dilapidated and full of corpses. Yet the way item descriptions in the base game talk about Artorias makes it seem a lot like he fought in New Londo. How can this be reconciled to the DLC in which it's clear that he entered the Chasm of the Abyss in Oolacile (which is explicitly the original form of the later Abyss under New Londo) and died in Oolacile shortly thereafter? I feel like one either needs to conclude that the item descriptions are unreliable narrator (which could certainly be the case but kind of undercuts our ability to know anything about these games besides the basic plot at all); or just totally dismiss the way that the DLC portrays things as being reliable, which is also a bit of a non-starter; or else accept it as retcon.

e: also the silver pendant description is kind of ambiguous. "Presented to Artorias for facing the Abyss" makes it sound like it was a reward for already having faced it, but could also mean (less idiomatically) that it was given to him in preparation so that he could face the Abyss to begin with. In Japanese the pertinent line is アノール・ロンドの古い宝具の1つであり深淵に挑む彼に特別に贈られたもの, which I ~think~ implies the latter (that it was particularly gifted to him in order to challenge the Abyss) rather than the former, but I'm not fluent enough to say for sure.

Eh, New Londo is pretty clearly quite old, given its kings were gifted a portion of Gwyn's soul. I don't think it's unreasonably to assume it was concurrent with Oolacile.

The Silver Pendant thing is fair. It's funny, isn't DS1 the game where the localizers worked most closely with From to ensure an accurate translation? And yet it seems to have some of the biggest gaffs with regards to translation, such as that, or Pharis.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Bob NewSCART posted:

It compares favorably to 1 and base game 2 imo. The first DLC wasn't great, being short and lacking, the second was much better.

Everyone'll rank these completely differently, though. There's no consensus. (I think 2: Scholar is the best of the bunch, for instance.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ashes of Ariandel is the only DLC in the series I'd say is bad. Even then its not really bad, just mediocre compared to the otherwise impressive DLC From has made.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bob NewSCART posted:

Pretty eh? Worse than two I think but better than one simply because playing it doesn't feel like you're playing a video game that takes place entirely under water. The DLC isn't great, Ashes feels like it's just a greatest hits collection of stuff from other games while Ringed City has a bunch of cool ideas but also two really lovely gimmicks. The gameplay is pretty good thankfully. Level design just feels a bit uninspired in general? Like, Darksouls 3 is just a series of churches connected by brisk jaunts through swampy forests.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

I think it's the best of the three, or at least the most polished. It's also takes the least risks and has the disadvantage of being the 5th Souls game in like 8 years which seemed to cause some people to burn out. Best art direction and combat outside of Bloodborne (which it's pretty much on par with imo) though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

skasion posted:

Your interpretation is correct. It states, unambiguously, that the pendant is a gift that is given with the expectation that he will use it to challenge the Abyss in the future.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Genocyber posted:

Eh, New Londo is pretty clearly quite old, given its kings were gifted a portion of Gwyn's soul. I don't think it's unreasonably to assume it was concurrent with Oolacile.

The Silver Pendant thing is fair. It's funny, isn't DS1 the game where the localizers worked most closely with From to ensure an accurate translation? And yet it seems to have some of the biggest gaffs with regards to translation, such as that, or Pharis.

The date given for prettymuch everything happening in DS is one thousand years ago. Gywn linked the flame one thousand years ago, and Quelanna says that her mother and sisters have for one thousand years.

Obviously it's being used to mean "a really long time ago," not to mention that time is all hosed up. Still, it gives a rough estimate of how long the locations you visit have been around for. So yeah, New Londo is at least a thousand years old.

Oolacile developed an entirely different school of sorcery which is described by Dusk as an imitation of that used by the Vinheim sorcerers, in that it has far less outright power but is subtle. It was also in communication with the Gods of Anor London, or their remnants, since three of them are present when you visit (Artorias, Ciaran, and Gough). So Artorias could have went there anytime us the general thousand year time span since Gwyn linked the flame, or even sometime before that.

Of course, the legendary hero of the Vinheim school develops their most powerful sorceries with your help. So who knows where its own history fits in this time frame, other than that Logan visited Anor Londo after Gwyn linked the flame as well and met the Chosen Undead due to time/worldlines converging.

I have read a pre-DLC announcement interview which describes the entire scenario which later became the DLC as something Miyazaki wanted to put in the game but didn't fit, though. So the inconsistency is probably more just the game doing its usual thing than a retcon or mistake.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 15, 2017

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
hot take: the story is convulted and sucks.

Except for solaire and seigward and patches

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the story doesn't suck but is purposefully made to be ambiguous and trying to figure out specifics is an exercise in futility

it is a mood piece more than anything, not a broadly detailed fantasy epic

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

I feel like one either needs to conclude that the item descriptions are unreliable narrator (which could certainly be the case but kind of undercuts our ability to know anything about these games besides the basic plot at all)

This is made explicit in DS3. There are several items talking about events that we ourselves were part of in previous games or descriptions that we read, but gets stuff wrong. Most obvious example is how Drangleic is now just "Drang" etc.

It's clear that much like in real life, the vast amount of time involved has warped a lot of details and item descriptions aren't 100% reliable. I think it's great :haw:

e: also DS3 is a great game! I don't like ranking, but I've played a lot of DS3 and that probably counts for something. Its biggest issue (to me) is that it's very linear compared to the previous games, but I've still done a ton of runs and the amount of cool gimmick runs you can do with CE (especially after the DLCs) are massive!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 15, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
having a lotta fun in pvp with iirthyl rapier+aveyln+leo ring now

so many people do punishable poo poo all the time because they have poise and just expect to be able to poise through attacks and trade for free. what happens if I shoot or stab you outside your effective range ya fucks

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ps: for anyone curious, relative ranges of weapons(newest weapons missing but will be close to the ranges of weapons in the same category): https://www.reddit.com/r/opensouls3/comments/5hmxyf/list_of_weapon_attack_ranges_updated/

notably, with a weapon like a rapier or washing pole, your running attacks easily outrange virtually all greatsword/ultra greatsword attack ranges. irithyl rapier, for example, has 28.4 range, which is almost double the range of a pike, which has 18

:pwn:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Half of that is probably that the game really struggled to keep track of two moving players.b rapier dash has a huge lunge step too.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Rough Lobster posted:

I hate to break it to you but I get the feeling those two get up to some weird poo poo in that giant bedroom of theirs. Like, hillbilly stuff.

You mean makin whiskey and moonshine?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Genocyber posted:

There's some clumsy and bad translation in all the games (my favorite of them is Hawkwood's shield having two almost identical sentences in a row) but while I haven't looked super hard at translations for DS3 or Bloodborne, I'd say DS2 has some really terrible stuff. Like everything about "Ichorous Earth" and "the Writhing Ruin" is nonsense the translator made up. "Harvest Valley" is an obvious mistranslation due to lack of context. I know one guy went through the whole game and basically pointed out a load of translation fuckups to reddit, but he got bitched out so hard for it that I think he deleted his post.

e: oh hey, his blog is still up

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm fairly certain this is the guy you're talking about, he made a pastebin with all of the fuckups or inconsistencies he found and boy are there a lot of 'em.

edit: Oh, the blog is also a good link.

edit again: Haha wow this guy's a dick

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 15, 2017