Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
I hope "Fist Combat" encompasses a wide variety of activities. It could provide an inevitable consequence of piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will there be a Fist Wizard class?

Chin posted:

They put together a video explaining how schedules are made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOjXfNnhxf0
Sandi's hired TWO black persons?

You'd think they'd hire one actual community manager for this instead, but no...

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Mr Fronts posted:

I hope "Fist Combat" encompasses a wide variety of activities. It could provide an inevitable consequence of piracy.

Boxer's dementia is fully simulated.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Yay!!! a ship sale.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15836-Spring-Star-Ship-Sale

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sarsapariller posted:

Ahahaha, this is a complete goddamn abomination and I love it. No project manager would ever sign off on this horseshit. What does a horizontal row mean? I mean in one row you've got weapons, "item 2.0", in-game chat use, and ship to ship refuel system. So a row can't possibly represent a single team or a series of deliverables that have to be done in sequence. It kind of looks like they just told everyone "In order to put out a minimum viable product, please list all of the work you'd have to have finished" and then crammed all of that end-to-end on a "Chart" with no regard for actual timelines or whether or not any piece of it was dependent on any other. Not only is it poorly designed and visually confusing, with bars apparently scattered randomly up and down the chart but it assumes massively parallel work flows that just aren't loving possible. Some highlights:

• "Network/Backend" has as many as eight simultaneous priorities in May alone. And it's not small stuff! "Server Migration" and "Network Bind/Unbind" and "New Message Queue" and "Physics Serialization" are all going out at the same time. Well! I'm sure your database won't be a right clusterfuck after you do all of those simultaneously through different people in the span of a couple of weeks.

• "Fist Combat" is on a different track from "Throwable Weapons" which is apparently happening in parallel with "Knife Melee." "Takedowns (Front, Side, Rear)" are happening simultaneous with "Knockdown/Knockback." So that's at least 5 separate takes on how players are going to do physical damage to each other, all in the space of a loving month, all scattered willy-nilly around the chart. No reason to put those back to back or maybe even combine them into one cohesive system! Nope!

• It sure is a good thing that basically everything is going to be done by May! I was a little worried because we hadn't seen one bit of planetary tools, or solar system tools, or object container: load and unload, but it turns out they've just been working on them all at once, this whole time, for five years, and they'll all be finished in the next month! What a nice and satisfying unit of time- just far enough out to be a little vague, but close enough to feel like real progress is happening. It's definitely not a massively telling visual representation of your own project managers lying to you about when poo poo will get done. It's just that literally everything they've ever worked on is about four weeks from completion, right now. Whew!

• They promised us a ship pipeline and boy are they set to loving deliver! Look at that, as many as 12 simultaneous ship projects at once! They're finishing an average of four a month, every month, for the next 8 months! Half of these ships are marked as finished before things like Ship To Ship Refuel or Cargo System or Player Manned Turrets are done! How the gently caress are you going to deliver rovers years before you have your planets?

• Also, on ships: I'm really enjoying how individual variants are assigned different tracks with randomized completion lengths. See how many times you can find the words "Cutlass" and "Freelancer" on that chart, ships that have been in the game for 3+ years. It's weird, I don't see the Javelin that they just put out a 30 minute video about on there at all! Or the Idris! Or the Bengal carrier! In fact it looks like it's mostly
    variants of existing small craft from here to 2018.

• Also also on ships: glad to know that they're done selling ships forever, since apparently they have not made any time for new ship concepts or development on this chart.

• I'm loving the loving time they assign to some of this stuff. Tell me more about how "Game Persistence" is apparently a two week project but your "Omnisky Laser Cannon" art or whatever the gently caress is going to take six goddamn months of work?!?

• "Inventory System UI" apparently starts a full month before, and takes twice as long as, "Inventory System Gamecode." Okay!

• "In-Game Chat To Use Spectrum" apparently starts months before, and takes longer than, "Spectrum Integration In Game." Sure am glad this schedule passed a rigorous review process!

Yes, this is definitely a fully realized diagram and not the last-minute throwing together of about 5 overwhelmingly untruthful department reports from completely buried project leads. Given the last 5 years of delivering 1 to 2 minor changes per month, I am completely unsurprised that they found yet another way to promise that literally everything is right around the loving corner. I look forward to the celebratory ship sale.

You have my respect for going through and pointing out what is wrong (or part of it) in the loving spaghetti mess that they threw on a wall and then tried to sort out whatever stuck within the span of no more than two hours.

Also, I'm guessing the lack of vertical lines or any other milestone indicators (such as at least the 3.0 release, 3.1 release etc) is intentional.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
When talking about Star Citizen science has to stop and belief has to take over
14sextilion % this is coming out in June

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The lies are brazen lol

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Cool they blame Behaviour, an outsourced studio, for them not making stuff fast enough

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Sooo.... how about that?

Guess the Apocalypse was stopped by Beet banning the good doctor.

Thanks Beet.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tarquinn posted:

Sooo.... how about that?

Guess the Apocalypse was stopped by Beet banning the good doctor.

Thanks Beet.
It's always +5 days: yesterday, tomorrow, in July...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Gamespot: "Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Detailed, As Creator Says It's The Most Ambitious Game Ever"

quote:

Star Citizen update 3.0 is aiming to launch at the end of June, Roberts said. At that time, there will be three moons available to land on: Cellin, Yela, and Dayman. Later on, "all the main landing zones for Stanton" will be added, which is a little later than expected.

"We had originally hoped to deliver most of the Stanton Landing Zones with the first release of Planetary Tech, but that proved optimistic once the talented team at Behaviour, who had built ArcCorp, Levski, Grim HEX, and had begun work on the remaining landing zones of Stanton, moved off Star Citizen and onto another Behaviour project in December," Roberts said.

stardagger in Gamespot's comments posted:

I would have been happy with another X-Wing game. I just hope Battlefront keeps growing and somehow starts taking seriously its space fight part (Since I do not know when SC will be released)

I have spent in SC more than 250€, with so much hope, really, but all that hope is turned into something dark now. Had I know it would take this long I wouldn't have done it. And every time I hear Mr Roberts saying there is another delay and immediately after talking about the scope/ ambition of the game as a justification ... it just makes me feel so bad. I cannot live on promises. Life is also here and now.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I think someone said it before but I would be fired if I

1. Went to stakeholders with a plan like that
2. Tried in any way to convince anyone that releasing literally everything in May was going to work
3. Actually attempted to drive a project to deliver 70 odd highly complicated deliverables in such a short time span.

What the gently caress even is this poo poo? What sort of system development process is this? It looks like those Agile dev memes that were floating around years back.

EDIT: If they were gonna report like idiots they couldnt even use the excel gantt chart template?

Baxta fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 15, 2017

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I've been a PM for about 8 years now, primarily working in large financial institutions on long-term project rollouts, mergers and risk-managed projects (brexit has taken up a good chunk of my time for the last year as I did spin the bottle on where they're moving 6k employees)

That gantt chart is a loving abombination. It's some bastardised cross of a chart that's meant to be used internally, and some bullshit 'this is what we're doing' to make it appear super-organised.

I'd like to say that there's no way any PM would create that, but i've encountered enough bullshit artists to be sure that RSI are absolutely using that, and then confused when they find out 2 weeks late that they're overdue on something another team needed.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
My boss would load that onto the biggest heaviest hard drive we possessed then beat me over the head with it if i gave him that

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

PST posted:

I've been a PM for about 8 years now, primarily working in large financial institutions on long-term project rollouts, mergers and risk-managed projects (brexit has taken up a good chunk of my time for the last year as I did spin the bottle on where they're moving 6k employees)

That gantt chart is a loving abombination. It's some bastardised cross of a chart that's meant to be used internally, and some bullshit 'this is what we're doing' to make it appear super-organised.

I'd like to say that there's no way any PM would create that, but i've encountered enough bullshit artists to be sure that RSI are absolutely using that, and then confused when they find out 2 weeks late that they're overdue on something another team needed.

You can't compare your babby's first projects to Chris Roberts' magnum opus. Think rather of the Apollo project, which I'm sure had a very similar road map with items such as "landing tech", "moonmap" and "flightcode"

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I may not be up to date on Star Citizen stuff but people eagerly awaiting any kind of accurate schedule from Christ Roberts is just :lol:.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I may not be up to date on Star Citizen stuff but people eagerly awaiting any kind of accurate schedule from Christ Roberts is just :lol:.

I'd eagerly await an accurate schedule and so would you. drat but I'd love to see this abomination by the end of june :laffo:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think it would be a great challenge for somebody to find anything Chris Roberts has ever done even once that met a schedule.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'd eagerly await an accurate schedule and so would you. drat but I'd love to see this abomination by the end of june :laffo:

Weren't they like 3 months behind on 2.6 or whatever? I mean how can they expect to just crank this poo poo out in like 2 months?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

It seems people are slowly started to read between the schedule lol.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Prepping for 2030

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

females yet?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don't expect those till 2025.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Sound reasoning

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

his nibs posted:

Sound reasoning

That last comment. W...t...f.....

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I would like to see the critical path of the 3.0 schedule.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

his nibs posted:

Sound reasoning

one does wonder how a 300+ size company has squandered away an entire year.
Like they literally have nothing to show.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I did actually find it fascinating to watch that video. Lots of their producers who we haven't seen or heard from before it seems. Poor bastards, the whole project is just an ever-expanding nightmare.
I hope to god you make a new Bugs of Star Citizen video (that was you right?) when whatever the abomination that is supposed to be 3.0 is released. The bugs are going to be truly next-gen, unprecedented.

Tarquinn posted:

Beet banning the good doctor.
Link? I missed this, sounds entertaining.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Doublepost: isn't there a sale on right now? Shitizens don't seem to be buying: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Smugging ManofManyAliases/Toast where ?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/sophiekleeman/status/851184380362067968

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ComfyPants posted:

Sandworms sold separately.

If you want sandworms, there are better games for it.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 15, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:ohdear:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:laffo: :gary:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Please backers keep faith, you just shat on us all with this schedule RELEASE don't meltdown now after this victory.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

his nibs posted:

Prepping for 2030

They're looking at over a decade more of very hard work just to get a kinda promised version of SC. I said it in my July blog, but it's not anything that anybody remotely familiar with programming wouldn't tell you.

Actually that's kind of a lie. Most people with real experience will tell you it's not possible. I'm just trying to be positive because I know people can't handle reality. Just because some guy from 1990 pops in and says "I'm going to beat everybody, even Rockstar, with my first game with my virgin studio comprised of college kids with no experience because they're cheap, and third party outsource studios because they too are cheap, I'm going to revolutionize video game technology with an already poo poo engine and redefine Internet communication to make it happen... uh because nobody ever tried before. But really guys. And I loving love motion capture!"

I haven't looked at the schedule yet. I'm thinking about it real hard though so it'll happen.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

trucutru posted:

What, the schedule was released and MoMA is not here for a victory lap?

First Derek, now MoMA, the mysterious disappearances continue!

He's busy posting with his new friends over in QQcs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
One thing CIG really needs to release and that never happens is not a schedule. It's the design document.

Backers: please demand to see the design document.

This is the most critical item because it tells you exactly what planning has gone into things, as well as systematic interaction. How is rovers 1.0 going to work with planets 2.0 with varying gravities, or be deployed?

You can write a schedule until your face turns blue, but if there is no solid plan for everybody to follow, you're spinning your tires. This is probably the real reason CIG is failing at everything. They start a thing with a verbal "I want it this way" and everybody does it. Two months later they get "I want it this way" comes again and guess what? There's no proper way to support the new want without going back and tearing up older code to accommodate the new whim.

The design document will tell you what your critical path is, and an estimate to how long things will take to design.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I'm going to keep updating my schedule like real people do all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

nice meltdown, lando