Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Consoles are great and all, but why settle for less when you can pay three times as much money AND have to spend an hour tweaking your settings for every game AND have no guarantee that anything will even work right when you do?

Once you see Lara Croft's hair rendered in glorious 60fps at 1440p, you'll never want to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't have to tweak your settings for every game (tho you can if you really want to) and you're pretty much guaranteed that everything will work alright

some stuff will be poorly optimized tho, much like fallout 4 or just cause 3 were on ps4, but what can you do

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

A guy getting comically mad at jokes and a console vs. pc argument?? Hell yes, my dudes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

codenameFANGIO posted:

A guy getting comically mad at jokes and a console vs. pc argument?? Hell yes, my dudes.

If you think there's any argument going on, perhaps the guy who does not understand jokes, is thineself.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

exquisite tea posted:

If you think there's any argument going on, perhaps the guy who does not understand jokes, is thineself.

Good effort. :geno:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

you don't have to tweak your settings for every game (tho you can if you really want to) and you're pretty much guaranteed that everything will work alright

some stuff will be poorly optimized tho, much like fallout 4 or just cause 3 were on ps4, but what can you do

What are the PC requirements for Persona 5

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

fivegears4reverse posted:

What are the PC requirements for Persona 5

A DS4, an Internet connection and a PS4. :downs:

Hey guys, how about that Scorpio specs announcement? Anyone got ideas how fast Sony will drop a deuce all over it? Also, where are they going to get their exclusives to make it attractive in November?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I got 10 bucks from Sony to spend, but I can't decide what to get. I'm deciding between Cosmic Star Heroine or the Wonder Boy Remake. I have no preference with regards to gameplay. Who would you say deserves my money the most?

Wonder Boy is basically a HD remake of an 8-bit game. CSH seems fun but I have a hard time overlooking the sprites that are straight up ripped from old S-E games. They're basically flipped assets.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 15, 2017

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Wait till this Tuesday and get the better looking other Wonderboy remake instead.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/03/22/a-new-adventurer-joins-ps4-action-remake-wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap/

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

this looks fun as poo poo, i can't believe i've never heard of Wonder Boy before.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

bloodychill posted:

I built my current PC around the GTX1070 and 1440p gaming and including the pricy dumb GSYNC monitor, it all came to around $1300. I think targeting around $800-900 USD for the unit minus peripherals is usually a good bet if you can afford it. That will get you to high performance without spending money on stupid things like a GTX Titan or some gimmicky "xtreme" Intel processor. However, you can build a totally decent mid tier computer with a GTX1060 or equivalent AMD graphics card for just over $500.

Whenever I find someone quoting some £1k+ price for a gaming rig, I find they're talking about some bleeding edge machine that could fart out more power than a ps4 pro as well as a whole set of new input/outputs and they're not including the big rear end £600 4K TV they're planning on plugging their console into.

Kin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 15, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm loving the Dark Souls 3 dlc, far moreso than some of the mid-game content in the base game. I don't know if it makes a difference at all but I ran a deprived build and everything was really hard at the start of the game but the difficulty curve has leveled out for me at this point.

Will admit that Frieda was way hard, one of the only bosses in either DS3 or BB that I've needed help with. But part of me also just wanted to move on and see what was next. The whole AoA expansion was cool, as are the environments in TRC, and I'll be damned if Champion's Gravetender isn't one of the coolest boss battles I've ever played.

AOA was really good if not a little short. I'm curious what you think about ringed city because it is so much massively harder and trollier it isn't even in the same realm.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Every time PC costs get discussed the "you can build a PC for 500 bucks" people come out" but I always assume they are people who just happened to buy at the right time for sales and poo poo because no, you can't. Unless you're happy with everything looking the same as on your Xbox One or PS4 at which point why not just get one of those? If you want to play the newest games at high framerates at resolutions higher than 1080p (literally the biggest difference between console and PC gaming right now given that the Playstation store looks more and more like Steam every day) you will spend 500 dollars on your GPU alone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Renoistic posted:

I got 10 bucks from Sony to spend, but I can't decide what to get. I'm deciding between Cosmic Star Heroine or the Wonder Boy Remake. I have no preference with regards to gameplay. Who would you say deserves my money the most?

Wonder Boy is basically a HD remake of an 8-bit game. CSH seems fun but I have a hard time overlooking the sprites that are straight up ripped from old S-E games. They're basically flipped assets.

Make sure you're getting Dragon's Trap and not the other lovely Wonder Boy game. Also CSH's sprites aren't rips what are you on about.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, Classic FF wishes it had sprites as detailed and varied as CSH. Most of the background characters have surprising little sprite overlap

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

Hey guys, how about that Scorpio specs announcement? Anyone got ideas how fast Sony will drop a deuce all over it? Also, where are they going to get their exclusives to make it attractive in November?

I assume Sony will price drop the Pro and/or OG by $50 and call it done. Maybe even toss in a HZD bundle or something along those lines. I don't think they necessarily need to do anything else. I feel like Microsoft learned the wrong lesson from all this. Power is all fine and good, but you gotta give folks a good reason to buy the thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Obsurveyor posted:

It sounds fast but its still a jaguar core cpu, it won't have exclusives besides graphics settings. Sony will have decent parity and end of next year into e3 2019 the ps5 talk will start.

I mean the ratio of tflops between ps4 and xb1 is 1.2/1.8 and pro to scorpio is 4.2/6 which are pretty similar. Pro will run at lower res, fake 4k or 1440p, but i doubt many multiplats are going to run 30fps on pro and 60 on scorpio, its not that much more power after you factor in devs like bethesda being lazy and just putting alpha effects on ultra high and crippling the frame rate on pro when it first launched.

As far as games for scorpio i dont know what they could announce besides halo 6 and whatever game they've managed to buy 12 months of exclusivity for. They dont have many internal studios left. You will see a lot of third parties trying to get their multiplats into the xbox e3, since new hardware will draw more viewers and they'll say stuff like "true 4k exclusive to scorpio" or whatever but i dont see it being attractive to many people beyond guys who want to trade in upgrade from base xb1 the same way pro sales went. Everything they put out for the foreseeable future is going to run on xb1 and pc, so crackdown, sea of thieves, forza 7, etc arent going to move the needle even if they turn out to be good.

The scorpio is for the xbox hardcore fans who are mad about the performance gap is i guess what i'm saying. I dont think it impacts sonys plans at all.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 15, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Morby posted:

I assume Sony will price drop the Pro and/or OG by $50 and call it done. Maybe even toss in a HZD bundle or something along those lines. I don't think they necessarily need to do anything else. I feel like Microsoft learned the wrong lesson from all this. Power is all fine and good, but you gotta give folks a good reason to buy the thing.

Don't talk about Sony dropping the price and bundling it the day after I get one. :argh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
And this is why I waited and still have a launch PS4.

Sony will drop some sort of amazing poo poo for 2018 and it will be all mine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

At this point if I had to choose between my PS4 or my high-end gaming PC, it would be pretty difficult. This year I have mostly played only PS4 exclusives, so the console has really felt worth it. Even with multiplatform new releases, I can rent them for PS4 for a fraction of the cost and the lower performance doesn't register with me as much as it used to. On the PC I have basically been only playing indie games designed for M+KB, which don't usually require a lot of power.

But then again, playing Overwatch at 144fps@1440p is like entering another reality.

Mostly I'm lucky to not have to choose. The moral of the story is to play games however you can come across them, there's never been a better time :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Og PS4 runs games perfectly fine for my eyes. The main reason I keep considering getting a pro is that I figure my launch PS4 works fine and I can still sell it to upgrade. It's got thousands upon thousands of hours on it so I figure at some point it will kick the bucket. Plus, two years from now the gab between games on pro and pspoor might be much bigger.

As it stands I can barely see a difference.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I plan to upgrade to a Pro in the future but right now that's my mortgage money. :v:

PC gaming doesn't really have the same appeal for me as it used to. I don't (or rather, can't) spend the same amount of time on games as I did a few years ago, so stuff like World of Warcraft, XCOM2, etc, have filtered out in place of snappier stuff.

That said the last four games I've had installed on my PS4 have been Ubisoft titles, so maybe I'm just trying to make myself look better than I am, ha.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone know what the gently caress happened to World War Toons? I tried it in VR last night and I actually really want to play it now because the tutorial is fun as hell, but literally not a single person was playing and it has just been in "Beta" (even though it's listed as being out on the PSN store) for like a year. Googling leads to nothing. Is it just abandonware at this point?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
I am unreasonably excited after learning today that Puyo Puyo Tetris is a thing.

It better have suke!

e: FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISHU!

Nichol fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 15, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nichol posted:

I am unreasonably excited after learning today that Puyo Puyo Tetris is a thing.

It better have suke!
It does

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Oh man Day 1 purchase. I went to amazon to see how much it was and instead of typing in puyo puyo or anything I just started typing in suketoudara. Also sweet it is only $40(cdn).

FISHU!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Manatee Cannon posted:

and you're pretty much guaranteed that everything will work alright
this is why every single game that gets ported to pc has people asking about the port quality. it always just works!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Og PS4 runs games perfectly fine for my eyes. The main reason I keep considering getting a pro is that I figure my launch PS4 works fine and I can still sell it to upgrade. It's got thousands upon thousands of hours on it so I figure at some point it will kick the bucket. Plus, two years from now the gab between games on pro and pspoor might be much bigger.

As it stands I can barely see a difference.

This is what I just did (sold my launch PS4 to upgrade to a Pro), mainly as a way to just refresh the hardware. Though after 3 years of using attached thumb grips, using just the plain analog sticks feels tiny and awkward.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Awesome! posted:

this is why every single game that gets ported to pc has people asking about the port quality. it always just works!

after two hours of fine-tuning .ini files until DE:MD finally looks and runs ok "This is working!"

This post is based on a true story :smith:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You bought a Squeenix game later than Sleeping Dogs. Draw your own conclusion.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Persona 5 looks slightly better ever since I upgraded to the Pro. But I'm gonna attribute that to me putting in a new right contact lens with a better prescription that day.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Awesome! posted:

The first 100 pages of every thread of a PC game are an argument against gaming PCs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Maybe one of the upsides to the Scorpio just essentially becoming an all-in-one Win10 machine is that some PC ports will be better optimized. Some developers do a good job (Monolith) and some are just looney tunes, lowest effort possible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mycot posted:

The first 100 pages of every thread of a PC game are an argument against gaming PCs.

Yeah PC goons and their woes in cross platform game threads are what singlehandedly unsold me on ever going master race. It's all just gibberish to me, and I'm happy I never have to be lost in a sea of "my ATX Radeon X50000 turboblaster is getting 2 fps and then my computer blows up and the shrapnel landed in my dick. master race 4 ever" posts

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 15, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Persona 5 looks slightly better ever since I upgraded to the Pro. But I'm gonna attribute that to me putting in a new right contact lens with a better prescription that day.

Persona has no pro enhancement because its development began on a dev kit version that was grandfathered in prior to the requirement.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have never had a crippling problem with a PC game in the past two decades. I didn't even see any of the problems everyone had with the PC version of Nier. I know that's anecdotal though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have never had a crippling problem with a PC game in the past two decades.

Arkham Knight was so bad on PC that everyone got refunds.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I only play good video games, maybe that helps with things :smug:

I totally understand there are lovely devs out there though so I will agree that PC gaming requires more conscientiousness and so never recommend people get a gaming PC out of the blue, if they are the ones to bring up their interest then we can talk about it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Persona has no pro enhancement because its development began on a dev kit version that was grandfathered in prior to the requirement.

Right. I wasn't expecting any enhancements. I was making a dumb joke. The sheer style keeps it looking slick enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrNutt posted:

Every time PC costs get discussed the "you can build a PC for 500 bucks" people come out" but I always assume they are people who just happened to buy at the right time for sales and poo poo because no, you can't. Unless you're happy with everything looking the same as on your Xbox One or PS4 at which point why not just get one of those? If you want to play the newest games at high framerates at resolutions higher than 1080p (literally the biggest difference between console and PC gaming right now given that the Playstation store looks more and more like Steam every day) you will spend 500 dollars on your GPU alone.

This is wrong and when I'm done making GBS threads I'll prove it.