Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Everything I've read so far about Stratified has put them to the top of my list when it comes time for a tune. Seems the biggest complaint is the time it can take for a revision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Christobevii3 posted:

Correct. 350z insurance is $1500 a year vs $800 a year for the VT, so not insured in the garage...

Must be nice, I'm paying 150 a month for my 1 and only car. I need to find new insurance, state farm has consistently gone up every 6 months for the last few years.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

Correct. 350z insurance is $1500 a year vs $800 a year for the VT, so not insured in the garage...

Seems like a pretty modest difference to be honest. You'd need to be paying that for several years before your 4k project to save on premiums broke even.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Stopped off at jack in the box on my way to see Fate of the Furious today and there was a baby blue RS in the parking lot. My god, that car just SCREAMS i'm breaking the law. Also surprisingly larger than I thought it was.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Seems like a pretty modest difference to be honest. You'd need to be paying that for several years before your 4k project to save on premiums broke even.

Adding the Z back on for a fun car I'd still need to keep the Veloster for commuting duty. So like 3 years? Wife is running 20k miles a year now and using it so having a secondary engine built up to swap in a few years with the lsd, clutch, and flywheel I already haven't would be ok. I sorta want to keep the 350z nice too since the 240z is getting restored and should be ready for shows next year.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Stopped off at jack in the box on my way to see Fate of the Furious today and there was a baby blue RS in the parking lot. My god, that car just SCREAMS i'm breaking the law. Also surprisingly larger than I thought it was.

I'm honestly amazed I haven't been pulled over yet. Now that the weather is warm I drive everywhere in drift mode :rice:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Must be nice, I'm paying 150 a month for my 1 and only car. I need to find new insurance, state farm has consistently gone up every 6 months for the last few years.

I was paying somewhere around $200/month for my GTI, S2000, and TDI. Ditching the TDI dropped it almost $100/month.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Cobb OTS stage 1 tune fixed my rev hang issues completely. The car is an absolute joy to shift now, its a shocking difference from stock. This car loving rules.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't see anything on Cobbs website about their tune affecting rev hang. Where can I read more about that?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Took my FiST on its first trip over a couple hours—about 500 miles one way—with a full load of crap. One Pelican 1650, two 2700s, two 1510s, 46 liter backpack, camera backpack, tripod, lightstand, and a large lens case. The car holds about as much with the seats down and passenger footwell in use as my family's 97 Suburban can fit behind the third row of seats. Weirdly the Fiesta was a bit nicer on the highway. I've done that trip in a bunch of different vehicles and I don't feel like the FiST was really any worse for the long ride.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

I don't see anything on Cobbs website about their tune affecting rev hang. Where can I read more about that?

Hrm, good question. I poked around their documentation and it doesnt mention it, but there are tons of forum posts saying it does remove rev hang to some degree, some folks thing it removes it entirely, others say partially. Some blame the dual mass flywheel for some of the hang, others say its purely a fuel mapping issue.

Regardless of all of that, it is definitely gone or greatly reduced on my car. Huge difference, felt it immediately. I catch myself sometimes braking jerkily now as the characteristics of the engine braking are changed. To be more specific, it actually seems to engine brake now.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Hrm, good question. I poked around their documentation and it doesnt mention it, but there are tons of forum posts saying it does remove rev hang to some degree, some folks thing it removes it entirely, others say partially. Some blame the dual mass flywheel for some of the hang, others say its purely a fuel mapping issue.

Regardless of all of that, it is definitely gone or greatly reduced on my car. Huge difference, felt it immediately. I catch myself sometimes braking jerkily now as the characteristics of the engine braking are changed. To be more specific, it actually seems to engine brake now.

I might have to look into this sooner than I wanted to, the rev hang is annoying as hell.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Rev hang is shift assist AFAIK, which is definitely a software thing, and it can definitely be tweaked and/or turned off in Accesstuner. What changes are set by default in the Cobb OTS maps I don't know.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Christobevii3 posted:

Adding the Z back on for a fun car I'd still need to keep the Veloster for commuting duty. So like 3 years? Wife is running 20k miles a year now and using it so having a secondary engine built up to swap in a few years with the lsd, clutch, and flywheel I already haven't would be ok. I sorta want to keep the 350z nice too since the 240z is getting restored and should be ready for shows next year.

In all honesty I'd sell both the 350 and VT, buy something like one of these new Hyundai turbo wagons at year end close out, and focus everything-financial and time-on the 240.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

I just sped past a trooper yesterday in mine and he didn't flinch. The only people that actually notice it are car people - everyone else just thinks it's a focus with dumb :rice: boltons. When I do run into someone who knows what it is, they tend to gush though.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
So my Focus RS is getting delivered next week. I've been trying to do my homework on Ecoboost tuning, and I've seen differing opinions on who's the best. Stratified and Tune+ seem to be the front runners in regards to etuning. Does AI have an opinion?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Don't know much about RS tuning but stratified and DHM are the ones I would consider. Tune+ seems to have a cloud of Facebook drama around them all the time, for whatever that is worth. Probably not much, I think it's mostly because their main tuner is not one to suffer fools on social media. I haven't heard anything bad about their tuning.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Anyone have any thoughts on the Cobb stage 3 vs the Mountune MR230 for the Fiesta ST?

The Mountune package is like $500 cheaper and has no RMM or exhaust hanger, but they can be bought for a lot less than $500. Wondering what the difference is.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

TUNE+ currently has the "fastest" car. Stratified and Mountune are both solid options as well and may run safer. They all approach tuning differently but if you're just doing a 93 tune and no bolt-ons it seems to be a pick 'em.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Christobevii3 posted:

Are you saying insurance on the Hyundai would stay the same if you mod the piss put of it? I don't know how insurnace works where you are but that doesn't sound right

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

dissss posted:

Are you saying insurance on the Hyundai would stay the same if you mod the piss put of it? I don't know how insurnace works where you are but that doesn't sound right

I don't think most people who modify their cars actually tell their insurance companies about it (although whether that's legal I have no idea).

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

dissss posted:

I've never given my insurance company any info about my car except the VIN.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xsf421 posted:

I've never given my insurance company any info about my car except the VIN.

Have you actually read your policy and looked for what it says about modifications?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In the US, mods aren't generally a thing insurance companies care about. You won't get paid for them though, unless you buy up coverage for custom parts.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I can add $5k in aftermarket coverage and it will only add around $100 a year. So it isn't that bad and if someone hits my car it is their problem too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Christobevii3 posted:

I can add $5k in aftermarket coverage and it will only add around $100 a year. So it isn't that bad and if someone hits my car it is their problem too.

Right. A lot of people don't buy it though and get surprised when their coilovers and turbo kit aren't covered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

So my Focus RS is getting delivered next week. I've been trying to do my homework on Ecoboost tuning, and I've seen differing opinions on who's the best. Stratified and Tune+ seem to be the front runners in regards to etuning. Does AI have an opinion?

Our first C&C of the season is the 29th!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KidDynamite posted:

TUNE+ currently has the "fastest" car. Stratified and Mountune are both solid options as well and may run safer. They all approach tuning differently but if you're just doing a 93 tune and no bolt-ons it seems to be a pick 'em.

Adam at Tune+ seems a little cocky, but it also seems like he knows what he's doing and backs his poo poo up with good customer service. Mountune seems like the obvious choice, but their stuff seems overpriced for what it is. CP-E looks like they make quality stuff as does ETS. In the long run, I'm thinking ETS intake, ETS charge pipes, ETS intercooler. CP-E stage 2 RMM, catch can from Radium, and some kind of catback exhaust, possibly the ETS extreme. Of course an Accessport with a tune from someone. I'm trying to do the most bang for my buck with the mods and space them out enough so the wife doesn't get too touchy.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That's pretty much my mod list too! But I'm probably looking to stay in my autocross class for a while until I can start competing at the top of my class. Yeah Adam is definitely cocky but most of the drama comes from outside parties at least from what I've seen.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

drat I would love it if the engine speed dropped sooner when upshifting. Have to wait a beat for 1-2 and 2-3 currently and it's annoying especially when this particular issue was less of a problem in my last car which wasn't "performance oriented" at all.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Why not just go for a lighter flywheel or pulleys? Also, why is rev hang an issue? I see it constantly in Hyundai videos with the smoking tire but never had it myself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm still terrified to get mine tuned because of the cracked block problems people had with the '16 models. If that crap happens, I want it covered under warranty.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I've been singing praises for the Cobb AP on the FiST for year now. You would have trouble spending $500 (total) on anything else and getting anything near the same benefit.

I bought during the Christmas season and got a free Cobb drop-in air filter with it. I don't know how much performance difference it made, but the blow off noise is definitely noticeable now, so that was another perk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$500? Must be nice. $650 for my car.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I got my AP + Stratified tune in a bundle with my CP-E rear motor mount for my '16 FoST, just under $650 shipped.

Also I keep hearing about an update to Strat tunes but can't find anything about it, and my AP Manager doesn't have any updates available. Anyone know more on this?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Been doing research for a few months, and I'm about to test drive a 2017 GTI. The last car I bought was a Honda Fit Sport back in 2008, so I'm curious to see what it'll feel like to drive a car that is basically double the HP and torque. Not to mention all the interior upgrades.

Should be fun, and I'm hoping I'll like it although I wonder if some of it will be lost on me.

Mandals fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 16, 2017

Drache
Aug 26, 2000
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Slippery Tilde
Well, I did a thing. I went to buy a new lug key for my 2008 GTI and ended up coming home with a 2017 Golf R. It's Limestone Grey, has the DSG and I could not be happier with the purchase. It wasn't a complete impulse buy on my part, however. I've been looking at the Golf R for over a year and when I went to the dealership there was one sitting outside after a test drive and I thought "Well, I might as well see if they'll let me take it out for a quick spin and they are almost impossible to find around here..." and that was the end of that. To parrot the rest of the thread, it is an absolute blast; it looks good, handles great, has all of the bells and whistles and will absolutely plant you in the back of the seat when you stomp on the gas.

The thing that surprised me the most was my insurance. If it was going to gently caress me over every six months then I wasn't going to buy the car, but my premiums actually went down by two dollars. I took that as a sign and called the dealership and told them I was coming down to get it.

Drache fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 16, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I wish mine had been totalled so I could have gotten praetorias :(

Good looking car.

Drache
Aug 26, 2000
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Slippery Tilde

veedubfreak posted:

I wish mine had been totalled so I could have gotten praetorias :(

Good looking car.

Thank you kindly! And I agree, the pretoria wheels look great. I was never a huge fan of the cadiz wheels and I'm glad that the car already had the pretorias on it. They are also why I bought the 5 year wheel and tire package as I have rashed the crap out of wheels in the past and I have no desire to replace these out of pocket if I can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Drache posted:

Thank you kindly! And I agree, the pretoria wheels look great. I was never a huge fan of the cadiz wheels and I'm glad that the car already had the pretorias on it. They are also why I bought the 5 year wheel and tire package as I have rashed the crap out of wheels in the past and I have no desire to replace these out of pocket if I can avoid it.

My Cadiz are freshly waxed sitting in boxes with 100 miles on them. My Petrols went back on the car as soon as I got it home the first day.

The Prets weigh about 7 pounds less per wheel than mine :(