Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Yes when I share my technique or method I'm challenging the status quo of who mentors who. Behold the dance for dominance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

can you not

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

As an aside I just want to share my love of Substance Designer. It's so goddam good. I wish the connections between Designer and Painter were a bit easier to make, but it's just an amazing bit of tech. I'm not super great at it yet but I'll post some of my work soon.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Gasmask posted:

I'm doing a thing for a partner for NAB, and they needed me to provide a scene that uses more than 32GB of RAM during render.

This was harder than I thought.

I was able to get to 21GB with 236 unique textures, but then hit a wall - The renderer seems to handle texture instancing properly so just duplicating meshes didn't work, and I'm pretty much out of time so I couldn't go and convert a bunch more existing assets to the proper format.

My solution? Make every texture 4K. I'm pretty sure I'm over 32GB now, considering it's 1.3GB of textures. It amazingly renders on my machine (I only have 16GB*2 of video memory and 32GB of system RAM), which is good, I think. It gets to 29GB of RAM, then drops down to zero then bounces for a bit, until all the textures are exported and the scene can render.

Just contact your local FX artist..he'll take care of that in an instance .

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In case you weren't already feeling the crushing self doubt and inner-inadequacy that comes with being an artist - here's a killer reel/site of Ash Thorp's Ghost in the Shell contributions:

http://ashthorp.com/ghost-in-the-shell

edit: Jesus gently caress this guy's whole breadth of work is stunning.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 12, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BonoMan posted:

In case you weren't already feeling the crushing self doubt and inner-inadequacy that comes with being an artist - here's a killer reel/site of Ash Thorp's Ghost in the Shell contributions:

I honestly can't wait to buy the art book for GiTS, I always buy them for Blokamp's films since he goes so over the top with concepts you never see in the final film and I bet this is along the same lines.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

BonoMan posted:

Picked this out of the stack at school and browsed it when it showed up. I had a lot of fun watching the Weta skeleton video too. Love everything GITS

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Just contact your local FX artist..he'll take care of that in an instance .

:crossarms:... not sure if intentional, but it's clever nonetheless!
If the renderer supported hair and particles right now I'd have been able to push it up much easier, but it doesn't so I made due with what I had.

bring back old gbs posted:

I honestly can't wait to buy the art book for GiTS, I always buy them for Blokamp's films since he goes so over the top with concepts you never see in the final film and I bet this is along the same lines.

The art book is great, I got it a little while back for reference, and ended up reading through the whole thing immediately.

It's primarily concept art, very little from the final film, and there's not as much regarding the city setup as I'd have liked, but overall it's really impressive seeing the amount of thought they put into practically everything.

Of course the film doesn't do the art justice, there's no long, lingering shots like in the original so most of the work goes by too quickly.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Elsa posted:

Picked this out of the stack at school and browsed it when it showed up. I had a lot of fun watching the Weta skeleton video too. Love everything GITS

The skeleton is incredible, and it's a supreme bummer that it's not shown more in the movie. Haven't seen the Weta video on it, but the art book has pictures and descriptions of how it was made/the materials used.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well don't link it or nothin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxUoqIrXd9E

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Phone posting on break aaaaaand beaten

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Looks great. I've gotten into so many arguments with people on Facebook about this movie. People can't seem to wrap their heads around that I think a movie can be visually awesome but still be crap. And people who are criticizing the story then feel they need to also criticize the production design, while people who like the visuals feel they need to defend the story.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"The internet makes you stupid"

Same was true for Tron Legacy, a really bad movie with highly awesome production design.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Or being mad at a show in general when it's the writers who are responsible some plot twist

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Vitaly Bulgarov has also posted his work for Ghost in the Shell. Some A+ hard surface and mech work as always:

https://youtu.be/UHH8n37BSDc

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Man that loving skeleton is AMAZING :allears:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hey guys, I won a free roll of filamentone grey (maybe metallic) filament for extrusion printers. I have an SLA printer and I probably won't ever use this roll. If anyone wants this roll just PM me your address and I'll send it out UPS Ground.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Need a little feedback. Started working the proportions and placement of the features for this guy's face to make sure it's readable, but it's tricky in the profile especially. The goal is to make have the more human mouth be enclosed with the monsterous one while still at least maintaining human-like proportion. Something's not feeling right though, like my eye orbit need to sit farther back, or chin line isn't correct, something. Can't seem to put my finger on it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It looks great and I wouldn't have noticed anything. The slope of the forehead looks right for a fish or reptile. If you want to go more humanoid I'd say make sure there's enough room in the forehead and dome for a large brain and maybe make the ears bigger. Or just make them gills or fins

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I can't get over how impressive all the work that went into GitS is... from the weta props, to the solograms, to Vitaly's incredible work, it's really inspiring and pushing me to learn some new techniques so I can pull influence from it.

On the other hand, it's also sort of depressing because I start feeling like I might not ever hit near the level of quality that these "top of their class" artists reach. Which most of the time is fine, I'm comfortable with where I'm at and how I'm advancing, but there are just some things which seem like unreachable ideals.

Partially due to my lack of formal training, I think - it's easier to assume that the best artists all did schooling and had amazing mentors and such, as it provides an easy excuse for why I'm not there. It's not true at all and I know a bunch of incredible self-taught artists who put in the hours to get there, but I still catch myself having doubts from time to time.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I really liked the goldfishes because that was the first animal I learned to UV, and I recall hearing from other 3D students it was one of their first too. I like to imagine it's a homage to 3D coursework.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Hazed_blue posted:

Need a little feedback. Started working the proportions and placement of the features for this guy's face to make sure it's readable, but it's tricky in the profile especially. The goal is to make have the more human mouth be enclosed with the monsterous one while still at least maintaining human-like proportion. Something's not feeling right though, like my eye orbit need to sit farther back, or chin line isn't correct, something. Can't seem to put my finger on it.

I think the side profile works well, but the front view reads a little off to me, and I'm not sure why. Almost like the bridge of the nose isn't quite sitting right. It's tough though, since it's not symmetrical it's hard to judge what isn't working and what is just an unconscious reaction to that asymmetry. Which seems like it might be fine, since that unnerving reaction appears to be the goal you're going for.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

The Gasmask posted:

I can't get over how impressive all the work that went into GitS is... from the weta props, to the solograms, to Vitaly's incredible work, it's really inspiring and pushing me to learn some new techniques so I can pull influence from it.

On the other hand, it's also sort of depressing because I start feeling like I might not ever hit near the level of quality that these "top of their class" artists reach. Which most of the time is fine, I'm comfortable with where I'm at and how I'm advancing, but there are just some things which seem like unreachable ideals.

Partially due to my lack of formal training, I think - it's easier to assume that the best artists all did schooling and had amazing mentors and such, as it provides an easy excuse for why I'm not there. It's not true at all and I know a bunch of incredible self-taught artists who put in the hours to get there, but I still catch myself having doubts from time to time.

I think this is a pretty normal feeling, someone somewhere is always doing better work. I have the same with programming. You see these amazing people and it is really depressing watching your own work not being up to that level, The problem is that your work is probably also good but you are just being your own worst critic. The internet does not help in this regard.

The 10000 hours thing comes to mind.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
i think i recall some people here having some houdini experience. i have none, and could use some help. anybody have any ideas on the best way to achieve an effect like this? mostly referring to the wiring wrapping around the subject with clumping/different thicknesses/etc.

i'm not married to using houdini for it, so any other suggestions are fine too. i figured houdini might be best because the effect is very organic and natural looking

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

So I just got the okay re: NDA, to share a tiny bit of info here!

I'm involved in testing of AMD's ProRender, both the Blender addon and the renderer itself, and I've been helping them refine it to try to get it ready for an animation and VFX workflow (it's more on the photoreal product render side right now, as anyone who's downloaded the Maya, MAX or Solidworks plugins has seen).

I can't talk specifics of the Blender addon, but they said I can share renders, and I can talk about the renderer itself, since it's public.
So in a little bit, I'll be tossing up some test renders I've done with RPR for Blender, and I can probably answer questions that are more generalized to ProRender as a whole (i.e. the kinds of questions you could answer by using it, can't talk about upcoming features or Blender use).

Super happy I got the okay for this, and at the end of the month I'll be able to share even more!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SVU Fan posted:

i think i recall some people here having some houdini experience. i have none, and could use some help. anybody have any ideas on the best way to achieve an effect like this? mostly referring to the wiring wrapping around the subject with clumping/different thicknesses/etc.

i'm not married to using houdini for it, so any other suggestions are fine too. i figured houdini might be best because the effect is very organic and natural looking

Strand based hair with emissive material, looks to me :shrug:

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Okay, here are some ProRender for Blender renders (click image to get to imgur gallery):

I'm linking to the gallery because of the resolution; this asset is being used for something soon, so I've isolated it from the scene it was in (minus the image link, that's just some test room I made for it) - it's also getting a complete color-scheme workover shortly, so this will be a good comparison once that's done as I know a bit more about optimization for ProRender now.

Once I have more time, I'll be getting some other renders ready, along with some short animations and some well-known Blender scenes (Classroom, BMW, and maybe some others).

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 14, 2017

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

RizieN posted:

Hey guys, I won a free roll of filamentone grey (maybe metallic) filament for extrusion printers. I have an SLA printer and I probably won't ever use this roll. If anyone wants this roll just PM me your address and I'll send it out UPS Ground.

Did anyone claim this?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I did :kiddo:

Also I figured out some UE poo poo

By the way if you're having problems with UE 4.14/4.15 crashing a lot, it's probably this:

https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-42280

enabling Project Settings -> Render -> Forward Shading fixed it for me

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Flesh Forge posted:

I did :kiddo:

Also I figured out some UE poo poo

By the way if you're having problems with UE 4.14/4.15 crashing a lot, it's probably this:

https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-42280

enabling Project Settings -> Render -> Forward Shading% fixed it for me

Nice. I'm approximately 85% jelly right now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's a really lovely retarget of a really lovely animation by the way, that's just the UE default 3rd person animation set and it is shall we say, not very girly

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It's like, two months ahead of my experimentation so

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

As someone who spent like 85 hours getting a really stylistically deformed mesh to rig to the UE4 skeleton, it's a good first effort but I see a ton of areas it needs to be fixed up (upper arms for one).

Never seen that crash, though. That's interesting.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I'm glad that, for once, I built my low poly so well that the only actual errors I had to clean up were just some symmetry vertex errors.
On next to the arms!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I like that design quite a lot, that's nice. There's a certain middle ground between "not detailed enough" and "too detailed" and that's it right there.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Diabetes Forecast, The Gasmask's renders reminded me of your stuff. Have you tried Substance Painter?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Elsa posted:

Diabetes Forecast, The Gasmask's renders reminded me of your stuff. Have you tried Substance Painter?

I'm attempting to learn it, since Quixel is pretty clearly becoming dead in the water (also Substance has PSD export now too so why would I ever bother with Quixel Suite beyond the wonderful NDo2?)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm attempting to learn it, since Quixel is pretty clearly becoming dead in the water (also Substance has PSD export now too so why would I ever bother with Quixel Suite beyond the wonderful NDo2?)

Quixel is just very heavy with its updates. There's also really great lightbox control in Substance that Quixel lacks.

I heard Quixel was created by an artist as a personal utility and it took a coworker to convince them to sell it. I think Quixel is brilliant no matter what its limitations might be.

I think that as a purpose-built program, Substance is just... more efficient and not bound by Photoshop as an add-on. Allegorithmic has a technical artist who goes by Froyok who seems to be one of those technical ninjas. I keep finding random Maya utilities from him all over, dating back to 2011, and that's just what I've found by accident.

I like Substance as much as I would like zBrush if it was intuitive

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I like that as well, good job! The proportions are nicely exaggerated, and it's got some great potential for textures. Can't wait to see more of it.

Also good to hear you're learning Substance. I can't pimp it enough, I've been using daily for about a year now and I still have that sense of wonder you get when using a new tool or technique, where inspiration just seems to pour out.
Most things have a pretty short honeymoon for me, but since Substance suite was personally such a game changer I'm still constantly figuring new skills.

Related - I finally took the time to learn both ID Mapping and UDIM; what a speed up! We got UDIM support added in Blender, which will probably get pushed to official at some point soon. So that combined with the IDMapper addon (insanely worth it, generates customizable vertex color ID maps with one or two clicks) means I save time in both separating UV islands for materials in painter and in applying the texture sets back in Blender. Our UDIM feature auto-reads all subsequent tiles so you only need to attach 1001, which I assume most programs do but it can still save 15-30 minutes per complex model (and helps avoid misconnected nodes).

Blender is so close to covering all the features we need here, I can almost taste it. Pretty much all that's left is better mesh cache and particle support, better color management, an asset/material browser, cross frame denoising, some general tweaks, and proper Substance integration.
Never thought I'd see the day where I could comfortably recommend it for this workflow, but it might just make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Hey thread, just want to let you know you cross my mind any time I discuss advice and critique. In person and online. I probably will continue doing so for quite some time. So thanks.

edit: removed a drama comma

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 18, 2017