Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

al-azad posted:

A friend and I shot a test video for teaching Taluva with the intention that it's fully scripted and uses scanned pieces and poo poo as onscreen examples for clarity. We shot about 12 minutes of raw footage for a game that has two rules and it took 3 loving hours.

I messaged him Cthulhu Dreams' quote so either he'll murder me or knuckle down.

As someone who gets a terrible headache every time a boardgame reviewer holds components too close to the camera, you are doing god's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

djfooboo posted:

Played for the first time yesterday. Farms are OP though. If you don't farm, you are effed.

The first game we played, I didn't farm at all, and I won by a rather large margin. Yesterday's game had the winner with just a farm and no other buildings, but she had a local partnership and the malt generating special worker, and only used the farm once. So far, it seems really balanced around what you choose to do, with the only requirement being using the lab to get end game points.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CaptainRightful posted:

The other day I pulled up a youtube "tutorial" for Comancheria and it was just an old dude filming himself stumbling through the tutorial in the playbook that comes with the game. It was an hour and a half long!

We all need to fund Rodney to make a video for every boardgame.

If it's the one I tried watching it's the dude that made the game lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also apparently FFG's minis wargame is out? Is it any good?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Panzeh mentioned he played it in the discord. Maybe he'll add more here, but I think his impression was positive but options are limited right now.

I'm pretty excited to try it out, too.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

al-azad posted:

A friend and I shot a test video for teaching Taluva with the intention that it's fully scripted and uses scanned pieces and poo poo as onscreen examples for clarity. We shot about 12 minutes of raw footage for a game that has two rules and it took 3 loving hours.

I messaged him Cthulhu Dreams' quote so either he'll murder me or knuckle down.

Welcome to hell, brother. Even the most basic videography is tedious and painful if you're doing it right. So good job.

At least you don't have to do twelve minutes of chroma key in three days. Or write three corporate-mandated dad jokes per video. (Minimum.)

Wish I was still doing it.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 15, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Live BGC FCM was a rousing success and more goons should do it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Live BGC FCM was a rousing success and more goons should do it.

:agreed:

And that was perfectly timed too, I got paged to go into work about 10 minutes after we finished! :coolfish:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Welcome to hell, brother. Even the most basic videography is tedious and painful if you're doing it right. So good job.

At least you don't have to do twelve minutes of chroma key in three days. Or write three corporate-mandated dad jokes per video. (Minimum.)

Oh no, my friends' gimmick was wearing white gloves. I'm pretty sure he wasn't aware of this, his idea was that he found a pair of mickey mouse gloves at a thrift shop and was reminded of when we used to make fun of hand models playing Axis and Allies as kids.

You used to edit those? I'd get tired after doing the opening animations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

When I was taking production classes, they basically told us, "Expect to spend roughly an hour per minute of footage." To this day, people don't believe me when I tell them making good, quality video is extremely time consuming then are blown away when they try to do it.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

al-azad posted:

Oh no, my friends' gimmick was wearing white gloves. I'm pretty sure he wasn't aware of this, his idea was that he found a pair of mickey mouse gloves at a thrift shop and was reminded of when we used to make fun of hand models playing Axis and Allies as kids.

You used to edit those? I'd get tired after doing the opening animations.

I was one of the editors, yeah. There were three of us near the end, two full-time and one part-time. I also wrote a good chunk of the demo scripts in our later years. (Plus a bunch of other assorted crap.) Unfortunately, Seelie Studios had to shutter in early 2016 due to Reasons, and a different company handles Mayfair's demo vids now.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

If it's the one I tried watching it's the dude that made the game lol

No, this was a different one. But the tutorial videos by the designer, Joel Toppen, use Vassal instead of an actual copy of the game!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Anyone have that quote about how nobody is ever playing Arkham Horror correctly handy?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poopy Palpy posted:

Anyone have that quote about how nobody is ever playing Arkham Horror correctly handy?

I don't know about specific quotes, but there's always been the rule of thumb: "If you win your first game of Arkham Horror, re-read the rules and find the one you missed. Repeat this process until you lose a game."

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

No, this was a different one. But the tutorial videos by the designer, Joel Toppen, use Vassal instead of an actual copy of the game!

I don't think this a bad idea, necessarily. I've learned a bunch of games from their apps and my takeaway is usually that it would be easier to present examples using graphics than live video of an actual board. The Tigris and Euphrates app tutorial is pretty great, as an example. Heck, a deck of slides with graphics would probable be more efficient.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 15, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Welp, if I have to spend an hour for each minute of this FCM tutorial video, it's not getting made, sorry folks :(. I don't mind spending 3-4 hours on it, but it's going to last I'd say 20 minutes and I simply don't have 20 hours for it.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Lorini posted:

Welp, if I have to spend an hour for each minute of this FCM tutorial video, it's not getting made, sorry folks :(. I don't mind spending 3-4 hours on it, but it's going to last I'd say 20 minutes and I simply don't have 20 hours for it.

If you just wanna shoot a static board as you explain stuff then it might not be so bad. I was mostly talking about higher production stuff with actors and moving parts and editing. I've never tried to do this so I'm not sure how it compares to the video production I've done in the past.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Someone dragged me into playing Clank! at a board game Meetup last night. I cannot fathom why it is so well reviewed. It's genuinely the worst Deckbuilder I've ever played. I'd play Maid Dominion or DC Deckbuilder over this garbage fire.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Toshimo posted:

Someone dragged me into playing Clank! at a board game Meetup last night. I cannot fathom why it is so well reviewed. It's genuinely the worst Deckbuilder I've ever played. I'd play Maid Dominion or DC Deckbuilder over this garbage fire.

Not that I'd go to bat for Clank, but I'm curious about why you disliked it so much. To me, it just seemed like just another market row deckbuilder, but with a push your luck element to it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't get it either! I don't see how people find a deckbuilder where the pool of cards you can buy changes. Besides that, going round the map picking up a treasure seems pretty dull.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"Deckbuilding" on the box is a codeword for me to ignore it completely.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

StashAugustine posted:

Also apparently FFG's minis wargame is out? Is it any good?

My friend and I enjoyed the demo of it enough that we bought the starter set on release day yesterday. I like the mechanics but that's because I'm coming from x-wing which I play competitively. I like the dual use of the damage deck for both morale shocks and their effects. The models are meh, and we're planning on playing it casually so we'll mix the models with other stuff and using them for kings of war as well. I think once you get the starter stuff, you can just write down the dials for other units later instead of getting the expansion packs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GrandpaPants posted:

Not that I'd go to bat for Clank, but I'm curious about why you disliked it so much. To me, it just seemed like just another market row deckbuilder, but with a push your luck element to it.

• Market Row Deckbuilders are awful as a rule.
  • The game has 3 currencies. And the 3rd is almost completely random and doubles as VP.
  • It's snowbally as hell. If you get your moves early (or access to more moves than anyone else) you can build a massive lead.
  • Teleports are pretty busted. We had 1 dude get 1 early, and he just teleport looped the Monkey Idols and picked up all 3 before anyone else could get any.
  • Clank was a completely irrelevant mechanic.
  • There's player elimination. Not only from dying, but if you build an early lead, you can peace out of the dungeon and you are effectively eliminated until the rest of the players finish.
  • It's way too long. Even with a decent group, I can see this taking over an hour, regularly.
  • There are no comeback mechanics. Given equally skilled players, I'd pretty much be able to tell you who wins after the second reshuffle about 80% of the time.

I'm sure there's more, but man was this game bad. And I like enough bad deckbuilders. This one isn't even a little salvageable.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hey anyone experimented with variants for A Feast for Odin? 3rd player has been complaining about occupation imbalance, so we're wondering if, uh, a market row for occupations would make any sense, so when you take an action that draws a card you choose one from the row, and replenish.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Hey anyone experimented with variants for A Feast for Odin? 3rd player has been complaining about occupation imbalance, so we're wondering if, uh, a market row for occupations would make any sense, so when you take an action that draws a card you choose one from the row, and replenish.

Seems bad. There are enough powerful occupations that I don't really see the benefit of a market row. It also lends itself to playing an action just to get a powerful occupation and imo it seems it'd be much more swingy that way. Also let's say all the occupations are weak, then people will second guess taking any of those actions to not give some other player the chance

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Toshimo posted:

• Market Row Deckbuilders are awful as a rule.
  • The game has 3 currencies. And the 3rd is almost completely random and doubles as VP.
  • It's snowbally as hell. If you get your moves early (or access to more moves than anyone else) you can build a massive lead.
  • Teleports are pretty busted. We had 1 dude get 1 early, and he just teleport looped the Monkey Idols and picked up all 3 before anyone else could get any.
  • Clank was a completely irrelevant mechanic.
  • There's player elimination. Not only from dying, but if you build an early lead, you can peace out of the dungeon and you are effectively eliminated until the rest of the players finish.
  • It's way too long. Even with a decent group, I can see this taking over an hour, regularly.
  • There are no comeback mechanics. Given equally skilled players, I'd pretty much be able to tell you who wins after the second reshuffle about 80% of the time.

I'm sure there's more, but man was this game bad. And I like enough bad deckbuilders. This one isn't even a little salvageable.

Not that it makes the game any better, but a few counterpoints:

Teleports are pretty rare. IIRC there's a couple of re-usable wands in the deck and a handful of one-shot devices.

While it does have player elimination, this triggers the game end timer so an eliminated player isn't out for long.

Agree on the lack of comeback mechanic. The last game I tried was won by the first person who lucked into drawing enough skill points when one of the good 'draw x cards' came up in the market. Other players were effectively locked out of the game at that point since there's no reliable deck thinning, meaning you have to clog your deck with explores til you can afford useful cards.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Seems bad. There are enough powerful occupations that I don't really see the benefit of a market row. It also lends itself to playing an action just to get a powerful occupation and imo it seems it'd be much more swingy that way. Also let's say all the occupations are weak, then people will second guess taking any of those actions to not give some other player the chance

Can't really disagree. Market row is generally bad for those reasons.

Hmm. What about a draft, assuming no one's gonna get more than say 7 occupations in an average game, you draft your draw deck and shuffle it up so you don't know which order.

And then if you get past that 7 or w/e you just draw randoms.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

silvergoose posted:

Can't really disagree. Market row is generally bad for those reasons.

Hmm. What about a draft, assuming no one's gonna get more than say 7 occupations in an average game, you draft your draw deck and shuffle it up so you don't know which order.

And then if you get past that 7 or w/e you just draw randoms.

That or you could have people draw X keep 1. Gives a bit more choice and mitigates some randomness without spoiling the surprise.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

That or you could have people draw X keep 1. Gives a bit more choice and mitigates some randomness without spoiling the surprise.

Like, each draw draw 2 keep 1, we do that for the initial one but...hm. Yeah that might be a good compromise.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Did anyone take the plunge on Import/Export or do a PNP? If so, any thoughts? It's still up for preorder on their site but it seems pretty expensive for what it is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

T-Bone posted:

Did anyone take the plunge on Import/Export or do a PNP? If so, any thoughts? It's still up for preorder on their site but it seems pretty expensive for what it is.

I backed it and meant to cancel my pledge, but my cancellation didn't go through.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

T-Bone posted:

I picked it up also forgetting to cancel my pledge. I'll let you all know how it plays when it releases sometime between July 2017 and July 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Impermanent posted:

I picked it up also forgetting to cancel my pledge. I'll let you all know how it plays when it releases sometime between July 2017 and July 2018

:yeah:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm glad I avoided clank, that sounds awful tbh. People keep heaping praise on it locally, I guess because the designer(s) are from here and play tested at some of the local stores or something? I will say I like their digital card game variants on magic and hearthstone at least.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Like, each draw draw 2 keep 1, we do that for the initial one but...hm. Yeah that might be a good compromise.

This is how I generally play. Draw 2, keep 1. I like the draft idea though, that could make multiplayer games interesting. Maybe a deck of 10-15, I feel like if I know generally what cards are in my reserve I'm going to aggressively play cards until whatever strategy I've planned comes to a head. That'd also heavily increase player interaction, since the play-occupation-cards actions would be more frequently contested.

Next challenge is completely occupation cards related, so this is serendipitous! I'll try to draw it up tonight, I don't have a lot going on.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Hauki posted:

I'm glad I avoided clank, that sounds awful tbh. People keep heaping praise on it locally, I guess because the designer(s) are from here and play tested at some of the local stores or something? I will say I like their digital card game variants on magic and hearthstone at least.

FWIW I own and really enjoy it. The biggest problem I've had was with the lack of deck thinning, and that could even be houseruled in.
But I also play a bunch of Star Realms and enjoy that, so my opinions might just be garbage.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

FWIW I own and really enjoy it. The biggest problem I've had was with the lack of deck thinning, and that could even be houseruled in.
But I also play a bunch of Star Realms and enjoy that, so my opinions might just be garbage.

I admit to enjoying star realms in so far as it was an easy way to kill ten minutes or whatever while waiting on other people to show up to play a more substantial game. Or two people play while the other couple make/get dinner/drinks/whatever.

I can't remember if it was this thread or the arkham lcg thread that had the recent chat about markups, but it looks like my lgs stopped doing the $3 markup on the expansion packs and now it's just a 3 cent markup. They also had everything released to date in stock again.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Any tips for a first play of Captain Sonar? I figure we'll start with turn-based play and then go into realtime after that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A round of turn-based is a wise move because it's less easy for someone who only sorta paid attention to the rules explanation to cheat, not w/ malice in their heart but to just futz along. When you switch to real time really hammer home that the rules insist the engineer and the first mate have to give verbal confirmation to the captain that they've done their job, before the captain can issue another move-order because that's another area where cheating just sort of happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Any tips for a first play of Captain Sonar? I figure we'll start with turn-based play and then go into realtime after that.

Although the rules say you can acknowledge an order with "ok" be a real salt and repeat the captain's order back (east, aye etc.). This will greatly help with clarity. Be lenient the first real time game but if on the second game the opposing team yells STOP and then has a conversation with their team you may heckle and throw poo poo at them.