Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Trying to decide keep it or flip it. Kinda a fun party album to have in my set but on the other hand I'm not at all attached to it and I can buy a bunch of records for what it sells for. Seems weird this isn't getting more of a reissue.

Are they even flipping at the rate that you could get that $100+ price tag on it? I haven't seen any shifts in sales since it came out. I've got that one and an original pressing and have really thought about a flip because the OP is superior to be honest. no split tracks and it isn't cut so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
someone asked if i had this so i took some pics for them here they are

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

stay depressed posted:

someone asked if i had this so i took some pics for them here they are

That's a fine record there.

dorium posted:

Are they even flipping at the rate that you could get that $100+ price tag on it? I haven't seen any shifts in sales since it came out. I've got that one and an original pressing and have really thought about a flip because the OP is superior to be honest. no split tracks and it isn't cut so hot.

Yeah. They are going for over $100 right now. I was listening to it and decided to keep it but I got one of the defective ones so hopefully I can get it replaced.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

sporklift posted:

That's a fine record there.

Yeah. They are going for over $100 right now. I was listening to it and decided to keep it but I got one of the defective ones so hopefully I can get it replaced.

I got one with a few skips. I cleaned the poo poo out of it and it plays fine now. Might be worth a shot.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I got one with a few skips. I cleaned the poo poo out of it and it plays fine now. Might be worth a shot.

Mine has that locked groove skip on side C that everyone is complaining about. Otherwise it sounded great.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Why is Demon Days so pricey in the first place? Was it just that limited of a run originally? I greatly prefer their first album, so maybe I'm just the odd one out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Enos Cabell posted:

Why is Demon Days so pricey in the first place? Was it just that limited of a run originally? I greatly prefer their first album, so maybe I'm just the odd one out.

I'm guessing it was a fairly small pressing when it originally came out. It may have even been a limited edition or something. That was 2005, so that was basically the sweet spot where records weren't completely dead like the 90s but it was still niche. So between that and the passage of time you just get people asking crazy prices. Especially since everyone hopped on the bandwagon. It makes me wish I'd snatched up all those copies of it that I used to see collecting dust in the stores way back when. They couldn't even give them away.

That said, I would advise anyone who wants it to just wait a while because the chances of that not getting a reissue are pretty drat slim. The Vinyl Me, Please records are usually just colored vinyl gimmick versions of poo poo you can readily buy.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
its funny to me that anyone would pay any amount of money for that LP, ever

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

cryme posted:

I'd pay $80-100 for the death from above heads up ep just to complete my discography. It's only a matter of time before I do.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cryme posted:

I'm glad it exists though because it gave us that hilariously terrible incident at the Grammys when Madonna was trying to upstage a bunch of cartoons and then she had to be rushed to the hospital the second she got off stage because she got a massive hernia from gyrating on stage. That's hands down in the top three hilariously tragic things I've ever seen.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

I'd pay $80-100 for the death from above heads up ep just to complete my discography. It's only a matter of time before I do.

Hell yeah I've finally got a reason to post in this thread:

It's only the black copy though, I was never able to find a clear copy for a reasonable price especially when it includes shipping to Australia. I wish they'd hurry up and tour here again though.

Also, if you're after another very 2 man DFA dance-punk band, check out DZ Deathrays.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
what are some good art projects to do if you have, say, a hundred thrift store bargain bin records?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Christian Marclay's "Footsteps".

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

revmoo posted:

what are some good art projects to do if you have, say, a hundred thrift store bargain bin records?

smash them up and glue the pieces back together to form a new record

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

revmoo posted:

Donate them to a different thrift store.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CPL593H posted:

I like this one best so far.

spent 30 mins on pinterest. Turns out old records are a poo poo art medium.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Get a dremel and cut out Mitch Miller or Herb Alpert dioramas.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

CPL593H posted:

put them all in mismatched jackets first to make the dig more fun for the next guy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

revmoo posted:

I like this one best so far.

spent 30 mins on pinterest. Turns out old records are a poo poo art medium.

I've only ever seen then turned into bowls or wall clocks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

revmoo posted:

Team up with that sex-toy goon to make some vinyl monstrosity for record store day.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Enos Cabell posted:

Team up with that sex-toy goon to make some vinyl monstrosity for record store day.

sex toy goon hmu

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Hell yeah I've finally got a reason to post in this thread:

It's only the black copy though, I was never able to find a clear copy for a reasonable price especially when it includes shipping to Australia. I wish they'd hurry up and tour here again though.

Also, if you're after another very 2 man DFA dance-punk band, check out DZ Deathrays.

I'd say we're about equal. I have the 3 aside from Heads Up, but my RR Ep and You're a Woman I'm a Machine copies are autographed :P My copy of You're a Woman is the pink reissue from a few years ago.

When I got RR signed my friend got them to sign it and they asked if they could keep it. Apparently they hadn't seen a copy of it in awhile.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have a copy of Fear of Music that David Byrne signed (I also have the poster from that show signed by him and Annie Clark) and Aureate Gloom by of Montreal signed by Kevin Barnes. That's all my autographed records.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

For autographs, I've got 3 asobi seksu albums, a black pistol fire album, phantogram's second album, mean jeans, unknown mortal orchestra, the dfa albums, 3 solo and 3 velvet underground albums signed by Lou reed, and koyaanisquatsi signed by Philip glass.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I got my copy of Apologies to the Queen Mary signed by Wolf Parade before they broke up, but I think one of the dudes wasn't in the band when they recorded so oops. Still cool imo.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Picked up the Beatles in Mono box set for $138 US. Use the code WELCOME.
https://shop.musicvaultz.com/*/Spring-Clearance-Sale/The-Beatles-In-Mono-Boxed-Set-14-LP/3MNZ0EOD000

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

I'd say we're about equal. I have the 3 aside from Heads Up, but my RR Ep and You're a Woman I'm a Machine copies are autographed :P My copy of You're a Woman is the pink reissue from a few years ago.

When I got RR signed my friend got them to sign it and they asked if they could keep it. Apparently they hadn't seen a copy of it in awhile.

I wish I could get them signed, but the last time they toured Australia I couldn't carry around jackets with me because I was working at the festival, and the time before that I almost got pepper sprayed by Austin police at their secret SXSW show :(

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

My best autograph is Separation Sunday by The Hold Steady. A couple of the guys drew arrows to apartments they used to live in, pretty cool

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i dont have any autographs because they are given value by a shared delusion

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

stay depressed posted:

I don't have any money for the same reason.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The true value is in the memories...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got Oscar brand to sign my copy of Bawdy Songs Goes To College

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

my only signed record is also the first one i bought and the only one ive bought at a show, Mc Chris part six part one

i hope some day i'll be able to track down a video game composer ad get my bleepbloops signed

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 17, 2017

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

revmoo posted:

https://youtu.be/wl1ZrEza7uY

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

seen that before, it is p. good

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stay depressed posted:

I don't really care about their monetary value and wouldn't sell any of them anyway. It's just a cool memento and it's fun to meet these people. I'm sure you've had fun once or twice. It's a good thing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Oscar Brand was annoyed when I asked him for an autograph. I think he wanted to forget the part of his career when he sang dirty folk songs but gently caress him, I paid money to hear him rhyme his way around the work penis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My local shop has frequent meet and greets.

"Man touching his crotch"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Newbury Comics in Harvard Square had Dot Wiggin about a year ago and I'm still kicking myself for not going to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

My only signed one is from when I saw Andrew WK in 2003 and he took a long rear end time to write all this out. He also had no idea this had been pressed. My friend then asked him if he wanted to grab dinner, so we drove him to a Steak and Shake. Good times.