Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Okay, I am loving ecstatic at how Operation Strict Parenting turned out. Partly because I didn't die, but mostly because everyone kicked some serious loving rear end :black101: Also having the privilege(?) of firing the last rounds in the mission was pretty nice.

Honestly though, the "fight" between the Indian Air Force and the J-20's was a fantastic opener to the mission; seeing those 30-something planes get swatted out of the sky helped set the mood perfectly.

Drinks all around before we get the hell out of dodge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Excellent work, guys! We more than earned our pay today. The Indians had their pound of flesh too! Hopefully Jack will show up again soon, too... and hopefully not behind bars.

PS: Paint "Dragon Slayers" on the side of our SK60s and/or whatever we replace them with. Clowning J-20s (even on the ground) in lovely light strike aircraft is worth commemorating. :black101:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The SK60s have done surprisingly well, despite their near constant criticism and demands that we sell them off before they even get into a mission. The amount of damage they dealt this time around is pretty good proof to me that (when used in the correct environment against the correct targets) they can be a seriously powerful force. We just can't do something like have them spray rockets at heavy armor in firing pits or try to dogfight.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Let Jack know that if he ever needs help resolving his legal troubles in Atlanta, I'm the man to immediately advise him to take the first deal the prosecutor offers him

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I just hope my gun run immediately after dropping bombs destroyed some planes! Whooo, Frogfoot, baby!

BUY ME US A SUPERHIND!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

The SK60s have done surprisingly well, despite their near constant criticism and demands that we sell them off before they even get into a mission. The amount of damage they dealt this time around is pretty good proof to me that (when used in the correct environment against the correct targets) they can be a seriously powerful force. We just can't do something like have them spray rockets at heavy armor in firing pits or try to dogfight.

In nearly every test I did the SK60B's were slaughtered.

From my earlier testing we had about a 2 minute gap to hammer the runway before the Chinese J-16's got up. It was really close.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Guys I'd like to go on record as saying "5th Generation jets are loving nasty."

I wasn't expecting Rafales to get devoured like that, Christ :psyduck:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
And that's just the midrange one.

I dread to think what the F-22 is like.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mission #2 is up on the Steam Workshop

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=906086489

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I propose our next mission involve Venezuelan warlords in some way.

Mainly so that we can base ourselves somewhere in the Caribbean.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I second this, if only to give us a launch pad for taking over a small Caribbean island to make our own.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Taking over a carribbean outpost might make the US somewhat angry. Monroe doctrine and all. Might I suggest a small, out of the way country with weak government and strong tropical beverages?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Are the CIA and DEA gonna take nicely to us meddling in their playground? Regardless, if we're gonna take over/cut a deal with some small nation I propose somewhere in the Lesser Antilles. Aruba, maybe? Looks pretty well positioned, has a name people recognize to put on our business cards, and most importantly has a very well developed service industry.

E: poo poo, we could branch out into the tourism sector ourselves. Why sell off the SK-60's when you can start your own "fly a fighter jet" business? I'm 100% sure there's a market of rich middle-aged Americans who would pay hefty amounts to backseat a jet and push the button that fires some rockets into a stretch of desert or whatever. Hell, get some ground vehicles and make it a full military experience! There're already companies that let you drive a tank that do pretty well for themselves, I bet one located in a tropical paradise full of tourists already spending lots of money would do even better.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 15, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

We can get back into the CIA s good graces by capturing and returning Dr Pavel.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We should hire Jack the ghost of Johnny Cochran to defend him.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Really enjoying the LP so far; I love the effort you've made to make the world feel alive (if, you know, insane).

If you're still willing to take on dead weight reserve pilots, Renaissance feels the successful campaign is enough proof that this is an outfit he can leech off enlist in.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

And our last one!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=906189557

There's a lot going on script wise here so please let me know if something doesn't work. I had it partially hacked together for our mission but the scripting in place now works much better.

Edit : I'll start on our procurement options now. Goons love procurement. I think you guys like buying planes more than you like flying them.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Soup Inspector posted:

PS: Paint "Dragon Slayers" on the side of our SK60s and/or whatever we replace them with. Clowning J-20s (even on the ground) in lovely light strike aircraft is worth commemorating. :black101:

You mean "Dargon Slaiyurs", right?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

We should hire Jack the ghost of Johnny Cochran to defend him.

Jack is merely moving through different stages of his Evil Lobbyist lifecycle. His upcoming prison time is a natural part of this cycle, and we should not interfere.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Yooper posted:

Edit : I'll start on our procurement options now. Goons love procurement. I think you guys like buying planes more than you like flying them.

Of course we do. If your options were schmoozing with Turkish military officials and arms suppliers in the most exclusive and expensive gentlemen's clubs in Istanbul or strapping yourself into a 50 year old Soviet ground attacker to take on the pride of the PLAAF a couple planes on the ground, then wouldn't you rather be on the Bosphoros instead of in Bhutan?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
WORKED OUT FOR ME

Didn't get to ride a Phantom II, which worked out fine sinceI got to ride the armored deathcoffin.

Next up: supporting Venesuelan rebels with an uparmored Hoplite.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Not flying planes, not buying planes, we love arguing about planes.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
If we ever get an A-10 I want to transfer to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e4T6qCNTUc
(I vaguely remember my callsign being the same as the protagonist of this game but I forgot where I heard it as they seem to do the HAWX thing of using the protagonist 's real name instead :shrug:)

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Pfff... Hahahahaha! That's amazing!

All of those plane losses, except for three J-20s, are ground kills! I don't think we dropped any LGBs or Mavericks on the tarmac, which means they were killed by either the Su-25s doing their gun runs (:black101:) or by the SK 60Bs' rockets!

I don't want to sell these SK 60s! They're beautiful! We can paint them black and put "Dragon Slayers" on them!

But, no, really. The SK 60s may only be useful against soft and unarmored targets (like planes out in the open! :haw: ), but if the opportunity for light CAS opens up again, it lets us save the better airframes for other uses. We can also still use them for their original purpose -- training pilots -- or we can stick an investor in the copilot seat and give them a demonstration flight.

"By utilizing operational environment shaping strategies and modern battlefield synergies, we have the capability to enable lightweight and efficient air warriors like the SK 60B to punch well above its weight class and find an effective role in modern combat environments even against fifth generation aircraft. This very plane you're sitting in has two confirmed kills against the J-20 Mighty Dragon, China's most modern advanced stealth superfighter."

If we sell them all we'll only get enough money for a single Meteor, which is basically a rounding error in the huge payday we just got. Unless our airbases start getting too crowded, or if it turns out hiring enough groundcrew to service them starts getting really expensive, we lose nothing by holding onto them.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Psawhn posted:

Pfff... Hahahahaha! That's amazing!

All of those plane losses, except for three J-20s, are ground kills! I don't think we dropped any LGBs or Mavericks on the tarmac, which means they were killed by either the Su-25s doing their gun runs (:black101:) or by the SK 60Bs' rockets!

I don't want to sell these SK 60s! They're beautiful! We can paint them black and put "Dragon Slayers" on them!

But, no, really. The SK 60s may only be useful against soft and unarmored targets (like planes out in the open! :haw: ), but if the opportunity for light CAS opens up again, it lets us save the better airframes for other uses. We can also still use them for their original purpose -- training pilots -- or we can stick an investor in the copilot seat and give them a demonstration flight.

"By utilizing operational environment shaping strategies and modern battlefield synergies, we have the capability to enable lightweight and efficient air warriors like the SK 60B to punch well above its weight class and find an effective role in modern combat environments even against fifth generation aircraft. This very plane you're sitting in has two confirmed kills against the J-20 Mighty Dragon, China's most modern advanced stealth superfighter."

If we sell them all we'll only get enough money for a single Meteor, which is basically a rounding error in the huge payday we just got. Unless our airbases start getting too crowded, or if it turns out hiring enough groundcrew to service them starts getting really expensive, we lose nothing by holding onto them.

I kinda have to agree with this. I don't think we'll ever be in a situation where we're strapped for parking spaces, so it isn't like we lose anything by keeping the SK 60Bs in the back pocket. Also I like the investor quote :cheeky:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yeah I've come around to not bothering selling the SK60s since we're not preemptively buying ammo now (this is much better!). They may not be the best choice but they're great for "let's throw in the kitchen sink" and sometimes they'll even kill things.

And I see my ravings about SAMs have been vindicated :v:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Remember that the SK-60s have one shot total. Virtually any other plane with a strike load out will be able to throw shots at multiple targets, and have more versatility. While they are certainly cheap, remember we ultimately are relying on good planning to carry things, and the more mostly worthless planes in a plan the more likely something screws up along the way.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Admittedly I'm speaking out of at least partial self-interest here, but it also doesn't feel particularly fair for some of us to be basically flying around in the line of fire being wholly reliant on things going off without a hitch whilst almost everyone else gets to have more than a hope and a prayer of surviving if we actually get shot at. :v:

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
The SK-60s can be used for light-weight COIN and new pilot duties until they're used up. Looks like the B models can use two types of rockets and gun pods, the latter would at least give multiple passes but would only be useful against infantry, soft skinned vehicles and, apparently, stealth aircraft on tarmac. :getin:

Speaking of new pilots, put down Coffee to join the reserve list.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Can we get ourselves a news clip? Or will that be after procurement?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Hell with it, I want to contribute something to this thread, so here's a little something that came to mind:

Hired Goons Records: Tourist - Operation Dalai Lai'm A Gonna Kick Your rear end Testimonies

Is this thing on? Testing, testing, gently caress Sk60s. Okay we're good.

So apparently the brass want someone to provide "testimonials" from "people at the ground level" for "marketing purposes" or whatever the gently caress they're on about. Long and the short of it is that they want me to say poo poo about the Hired Goons. They never did say whether it had to be positive poo poo though.

Okay, so I get wind of this new outfit starting up and I decide "gently caress it, might as well join up for decent pay." So I apply for a recon plane, bureaucracy happened, and I was hired on as a pilot. I'll never forget the day I walked in, enthusiastic, smiling, and confident before I saw the piece of poo poo that is the Sk60. I took it out for a test flight, then I came back to the engineers and asked them where the gently caress my radar was. The fuckers told me that God gave me eyeballs for a reason. I asked them where the gently caress the recon planes were and they just laughed at me, the bastards.

Anyway, as a result of being assigned to this piece of poo poo I didn't end up going on the first official sortie; apparently the Gripens shot down a few lovely Chinese planes that were attacking humanitarian transports. That's about it. Real exciting I know.

gently caress it, ending this now and going to bed.

---------

Me again. Turns out the brass want this to be a recurring thing. Fuuuuck...

Okay, so this time around I got to see some action at least. The deal was is that the Chinese had had enough of our and India's poo poo and decided to try and step up their presence in the region by bringing in reinforcements through Myanmar. At the same time, the Indians wanted us to bomb the poo poo out of a mixture of Chinese and TLA forces that would flatten their "volunteer army" in the area given the chance. Since we got intel that the Chinese didn't want a repeat of last time and didn't want to send up any planes of their own in Tibet, the brass decided that half of the Gripens alongside all of the Sk60s would run CAS, while the rest of the Gripens dealt with the incoming shipments.

On my end it went great, I rocketed the poo poo out of some MANPADs and definitely earned my keep, and in general the Chinese and TLA forces were pretty badly hut. On the ship front...well...the hotshits down there got carried away and also sunk a loving Chinese frigate in the area. Then after that happened one of our Gripens got shot down by a loving Fishbed, though the rest kept their poo poo together...aaaaaand then the Burmese shot down a 747. Because why not.

So poo poo's escalated even more in the area...so much so that we've gotten intel indicating that the Chinese are even more sick of our poo poo and are bringing in motherfucking J-20s. Fun times.

Gah, just going to end it now...

----------

Hey. Probably gonna die soon so might as well make this count.

We confirmed that the Chinese are in fact whipping out the J-20s. In response, the Indians have come up with a plan to sacrifice an air wing to the Dragons, giving us a distraction to bomb the hell out of Lhasa. Odds of me surviving are...well...slim.

Funny, we actually debated trying to just capture the J-20s outright, but logistical concerns kept us from doing it. So that's a thing. Oh yeah, we also funded some mercs on the ground that might be able to knock out the Lhasa radar before we show up. I'm not exactly confident, especially given that the loving idiots hired on some Kurt Russel impersonator as their CO.

Well...if I die, hopefully I can say it took a Dragon to kill me.

-----------

Weren't expecting to hear from me again, eh fuckers? Honestly neither was I but it's a mad world we live in.

Those crazy bastards on the ground actually managed to knock out the Lhasa radar, meaning that the Chinese only realized we were coming when there were bombs and missiles screaming towards their positions. No joke, we rained down hell on that airbase; the guys in the Frogfoots managed to knock out the runways and kept any Chinese planes from taking off, letting the rest of us shoot poo poo up at our leisure. I wish I could have seen the look on their faces when they saw their top-of-the-line J-20s eat several rockets from our lovely Sk60s. Hell, the rest of the boys are already calling us and the Frogfoot pilots "The Dragon Slayers."

Bad news is that the Chinese are pissed for some reason, so we're heading out to some other front once the brass figures out where the most money is. So...stay tuned. Hopefully they'll get me a halfway decent plane, even if I've started to like the piece of poo poo that is the Sk60.

Tourist, out.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

NewMars posted:

Can we get ourselves a news clip? Or will that be after procurement?

It's incoming, waiting on some dude on Fiverr.

Dr. Snark posted:

Tourist, out.

You're promoted to the Hired Goons Journal Keeper. In 50 years historians will study this...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Now that Tibet is behind us it's time to get into the procurement phase. Per popular request I'm going to allow you guys to put in proposals. Once we've got those in hand I'll draw up a fancy post and we'll vote.

Seeing as our suppliers like loyalty, and dislike the competition, they'll give better deals if you do one-stop shopping. For example if you buy SU-25's from the Ivanovs and then MQ-9 Drones from BFLM, the price goes up by 20% on the minority supplier. If you added some additional item from K&P it'd go up by 40%. You get the idea. You can still shop around, but it'll cost us. So lets get to procurement! (If the proposal phase goes to poo poo I'll go back to A,B, or C)

Speaking of cost, the Investors took a cut. 10% of current cash holdings.

Current budget is : $534,012,376.00

Format is : Item - Cost - Qty Available - Baloogan Link

We have a new supplier too! Recently out of prison is Wacky Willie. Willie made an honest living selling mattresses and "goods" that fell out of the back of the truck. Now he's in the, erm, acquisitions business. Do we need a 1958 F-105 Thunderchief? Wacky Willie will find it.

Speaking of finding things, we have two possible deployment zones. Both are long term, these aren't high profile ops like Tibet. It's likely we're going to linger in either area until we've milked it dry. Or occupied the place, whatever.

You all know what to expect out of the Bering Sea op, but it's gotten hotter and tighter. That Carrier Group moved out now that the Alaskan Pipeline V2.0 is up and running. Angola is a whole world of hurt. Three players. A new source of deep mine lithium, and the usual compassion that goes with Africa. More to come later.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yooper, it's been said a bunch of times already, but I also want to say how much I'm enjoying this LP. I can't wait for our next contract!

edit: Angola! Let's get as far away from China as we can.

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 16, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dong Quixote posted:

Yooper, it's been said a bunch of times already, but I also want to say how much I'm enjoying this LP. I can't wait for our next contract!

Glad to hear it Dong!

It's been a ton of fun to roll with all this poo poo. I don't know where it's going to go, but we'll have a blast getting there. I'm basically one paragraph ahead of you guys in a Choose Your Own adventure book.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

F-16s and Apaches! Too bad we'd be paying 20% markup for buying them. :negative:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Voting for Bearing Sea, let's make this season of Deadliest Catch even more exciting for those crab fishers.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We've pissed off a major world player. Let's get into the middle of nowhere while the heat dies down.

Angola

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone wants to see how exactly the Lhasa Radar station went down, look no further! You all can thank me later, as Commander Yooper no doubt told you how important that radar actually was. Send a box of cigars by mail.

Mission 1: Operation Circuit Breaker Part 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Angola No one cares about Africa anyway so we can get up to so much fun poo poo out there.