Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

For serious though the main appeal of open world games when I play them is that I can go traveling and go look at cool places. If they have neat things to do or look for, that's even better - Saints Row IV comes to mind, as does Witcher 3 (tho I haven't done much in that game yet) - and to an extent LA Noire.

So if someone mixed that with Hitman's absurd sense of detail and gave me things to do outside of all those elaborate ways to kill people, I'd be in heaven.

... Unfortunately it'll never get made because making a level that big is too expensive, but hey, a girl can dream. And at least Hitman's getting another season, so what I'll lack in giant maps I'll have in variety.

LA Noire was such a waste of an open world. Outside of the random interstitial cases there was nothing to do except grabbing some collectibles that did nothing, or visiting landmarks, which while cool, basically did nothing. I guess they popped an achievement, but just nothing

Watch_Dogs 2 is pretty great for an open world city, and you can pretty much do anything after you pick up the drone (which costs money and is not gated)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Imagine how much money LA Noire would've saved in development if it wasn't open world and instead only had the few locations necessary for each investigation.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Cowcaster posted:

cd projekt reds' cyberpunk 2077, hitting steam summer 2017

It might be past even 2019. The lead CDPR staff moved off of the project around June 2016 while remaining within the company, including the game's director.

A project reboot after the success of The Witcher 3? The fledgling CDPR Krakow studio needing more manpower? Creative disagreements? Who knows.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm happy to discount things like GTA3 (which has lovely gunplay) but you don't think, say, Max Payne did good third person shooting well before RE4?

In Resident Evil 4 Max Payne 3, you play as an ex-cop who uses guns in an over the shoulder perspective with a wide screen aspect ratio, rescues a woman kidnapped by a terrorist group who speak a romance language and performs human experiments, and knife fights enemies in QTE events.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This just reminded me that I have some fancy Transformers Megatron (basically a replica of the one I remembered having as a kid) that I ordered from Japan or something like 15 years ago when I was a lot younger, dumber, and actually had disposable income. It's in my basement somewhere and I should probably take it out and sell it before my kid finds it and destroys it.
Was it the Encore/Reissue of G1 Megatron?

If so you can get a decent chunk of change for it if it's unopened still. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=g1%20megatron%20reissue&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Captain Invictus posted:

Was it the Encore/Reissue of G1 Megatron?

If so you can get a decent chunk of change for it if it's unopened still. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=g1%20megatron%20reissue&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Yeah I think that's the one. Honestly I think I may have opened it, but in a super nerdy stealthy way. At least it's still in the box with all the parts and it looks new. :shrug:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I beat Persona 5! I can do things with my life again.

Haha, j/k I'm gonna do a new game plus run now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah I think that's the one. Honestly I think I may have opened it, but in a super nerdy stealthy way. At least it's still in the box with all the parts and it looks new. :shrug:
Grats on your 100-150bux! Just be careful shipping it, as some places take issue with Megatron literally being a model of a Walther P38 pistol, this has made shipping the Masterpiece versions of him into the US difficult at times, often requiring little orange safety caps to indicate he is not a real gun, or whatever. You're probably good if you're already in the US and ship it within the US.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

my favorite series is dead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Metroid is dead so yeah

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they were just waiting for the Switch to come out and now they can release the next 2D and 3D Metroids they've been working on in secret

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it possible to be a fan of a series if you only like around half of the games in that series?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Is it possible to be a fan of a series if you only like around half of the games in that series?

Depends how many games is half

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like maybe 6 of the 15+ final fantasy games and say i like final fantasy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

There are many beloved and popular franchises of which even superfans will admit have only a few good titles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i like maybe 6 of the 15+ final fantasy games and say i like final fantasy

*slithering out from under a rock next to the tree of knowledge* Which 6?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jay Rust posted:

I think almost everyone who likes Deus Ex falls into that category.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Conversely, I think I enjoyed more than half of the 13 games in the Call of Duty series but I wouldn't call myself a fan of that, it's just a thing that's there

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think almost everyone who likes Deus Ex falls into that category.

there's only one good deus ex game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after MGS4 and the gently caress-awful story I welcomed mgsV with open arms

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same with AssCreed, I've pretty much played all of them at this point and most of them are okay but I'd never say I was a fan.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, the only one I could actually get through and finish was Invisible War. Totally bounced off every other entry, even with multiple attempts

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, but isn't the question really "at what percentage of liking a franchise do you cease to be a fan of the franchise and become simply a fan of the parts you like?"

Like, I am a fan of the Ezio Trilogy and AssCreed 1, but not of AssCreed in general.

Edit: ^ get the gently caress out

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think most Ubisoft games are intentionally designed to not inspire strong feelings in any particular direction other than appealing to as wide a demographic as possible. I can't imagine what an AC superfan would even look like.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's wrong with Human Revolution

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

after MGS4 and the gently caress-awful story I welcomed mgsV with open arms

Ah yes, MGS5's amazing story.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

the writing and the levels are both bad and then what is left?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

SUCH A LUST FOR REVENGE! WHOOOOOOOO

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

i liked human revolution well enough until dishonored came along and just did everything human revolution did but better

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I really liked the end of Quiet's story and it was one of those things where I had to just kind of sit there and contemplate everything that had happened

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SUCH A LUST FOR REVENGE! WHOOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dsolM10ng

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really liked the end of Quiet's story and it was one of those things where I had to just kind of sit there and contemplate everything that had happened

did you regret your words and deeds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I still wish she could have been wearing pants throughout the game so no

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why do you want her to suffocate, you monster

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I would have been OK with Quiet's outfit if The End was similarly naked, save for his beard strategically covering his junk at all times like an Austin Powers gag.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Does anyone know if the PS3 version of P5 is much worse than the PS4 ver? It's a whopping 20€ cheaper here so I'm seriously just considering that version

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
IMO you like what you like. You can tell if you like a thing or not by whether you consider yourself a fan of it or not.

I play plenty of games I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of while playing only a few games from other genres/franchises that I consider myself a big fan of. It varies from person to person and it is one of those things where there is no set definition or category, you just have to go by whatever you feel.

The only comparison I can make right now is something like how my fiancee likes my little pony and is excited about the upcoming my little pony tabletop RPG book thing and she wants to get some friends together for it sometime and have me GM it for her, but she also doesn't consider herself a brony or anything, just a person who likes MLP. It isn't a perfect comparison (since I imagine a perfect comparison would be "she likes it and watches it but doesn't identify as a fan of it") but that's the closest I've got off the top of my head.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nina posted:

Does anyone know if the PS3 version of P5 is much worse than the PS4 ver? It's a whopping 20€ cheaper here so I'm seriously just considering that version

Other than resolution and blurrier textures it's exactly the same.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

MGSV not bothering me with 20 hours of poo poo-tier story about why I should feel bad for loving Vamp dying was why I liked MGSV. just put the exposition on a cassette tape while I invade bases with my rocket punch and inflatable decoys, thank you very much

Cowcaster posted:

i liked human revolution well enough until dishonored came along and just did everything human revolution did but better

I loved HR even with the presence of Dishonored but man Deus Ex got hosed when it released a cut-up game next to a Dishonored sequel that gave you 2 different characters and movesets to use in the same year

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 15, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Sakurazuka posted:

Other than resolution and blurrier textures it's exactly the same.

Great. I figured that'd be the case since visuals-wise it's really similar to Catherine.

I'll just buy that version and get NitW or something with the money I end up saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I would have been OK with Quiet's outfit if The End was similarly naked, save for his beard strategically covering his junk at all times like an Austin Powers gag.

Are we not sure that his suit wasn't just filth covering his old rear end body

• Locked thread