Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

SHISHKABOB posted:

Try a lower difficulty setting? Though when I do that I usually find that I stomp the computer, so I don't know if it's actually a good idea.

Same, there is no good setting between Difficulty 6 and 7 or 7 and 8.

I dont want them having massively more units, settlers and tech, just the % bonus to all that stuff is enough, either that or just the extra settler etc but no % boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

In my current game I was a declared friend of Cleopatra who then proceeds to invade a commercial city state I'm suzerain of. The only option I seem to have available in her diplomacy screen is trade. Is there anything I can do because this seems pretty hosed up.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ratios and Tendency posted:

In my current game I was a declared friend of Cleopatra who then proceeds to invade a commercial city state I'm suzerain of. The only option I seem to have available in her diplomacy screen is trade. Is there anything I can do because this seems pretty hosed up.

You can declare war on her after she takes the city, for a reduced warmonger cost.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Gort posted:

You can declare war on her after she takes the city, for a reduced warmonger cost.

After the friendship wears off? She took the city and I only have the make deal option.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

After the friendship wears off? She took the city and I only have the make deal option.

Hmm, there should be a "liberate" casus belli. Maybe you got played and the friendship was a cover so she could snipe your city.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gort posted:

Hmm, there should be a "liberate" casus belli. Maybe you got played and the friendship was a cover so she could snipe your city.

I've run into this before -- you can't declare war on a declared friend, which means they can gently caress with your city-states willy-nilly. :argh:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

If your friend is fighting your city state just take your fastest units over there and go all Snackman on them.

http://imgur.com/gallery/z0jLJ4r

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Is there a way to raze a city after you've already selected to keep it?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Hamlet442 posted:

No, of course not. You're not allowed to change your mind.

(Yes, I agree, this was a stupid decision to make.)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Hamlet442 posted:

I assume you can trade it to a push over civ, declare war and raze it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Truly, the most thought-out mechanic. Twenty years of Civ!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
To be fair, there aren't a lot of historical examples of people razing their own cities, are there?

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
It's also pretty gamey to keep a city for a few turns to protect the unit that captured it and bombard before razing it because you never wanted it to begin with.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What? That's basically what happened to Warsaw

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I saw a multiplayer game that used a mod that let you raze a city at any time.

It perfectly displayed why it would be a terrible mechanic to implement. Anytime anyone was about to capture a city, it disappeared (once they discovered the mechanic that is).

I think gameplay trumps historical accuracy or whatever else you use to justify wanting the mechanic in this case. It would be absolutely awful with the current way razing works.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I'm playing an extra large earth map and the AI put a lovely city location in Egypt that's one tile over too far so I can't put a settler down to make a port city for a pseudo Suez canal. In order for me to go around Africa, it'll take my boats 175 turns. I gifted it back and am going to raze it when I capture it so that I can plant a settler down and built a proper city.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Could implement the SMAC thing where building a settler in a 1 population city abandons it. Just need a little pop-up to make sure noobs don't do it accidentally.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Could implement the SMAC thing where building a settler in a 1 population city abandons it. Just need a little pop-up to make sure noobs don't do it accidentally.

This was a thing in many old Civ games. I think up until 4 (maybe 3).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Magil Zeal posted:

I saw a multiplayer game that used a mod that let you raze a city at any time.

It perfectly displayed why it would be a terrible mechanic to implement. Anytime anyone was about to capture a city, it disappeared (once they discovered the mechanic that is).

I think gameplay trumps historical accuracy or whatever else you use to justify wanting the mechanic in this case. It would be absolutely awful with the current way razing works.

Except the mechanic in civ5, the literal predecessor, solved that? Set a city to raze, it goes down in pop one per turn. Can't sell more than one building a turn. Cities under 3-4 pop where trash anyways, so no big deal.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Serephina posted:

Except the mechanic in civ5, the literal predecessor, solved that? Set a city to raze, it goes down in pop one per turn. Can't sell more than one building a turn. Cities under 3-4 pop where trash anyways, so no big deal.

That's flawed too, as it doesn't scale with game speed.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gort posted:

That's flawed too, as it doesn't scale with game speed.

Man, almost nothing scaled with game speed in Civ5. Not combat, movement, CS loyalty decay, etc. Playing on anything but normal broke a few things. If you wanted, adjusting it is a trivial thing; 2x speed? then raze at 2x, or sell 2 buildings a turn. The point being is that city captures & razing in 4X games is hardly new ground to be covering, and there's plenty of prior examples exist that where functional. More functional than 'you cannot raze stuff you own'.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

OK

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Magil Zeal posted:

This was a thing in many old Civ games. I think up until 4 (maybe 3).

That's how I used to raze captured cities back in Civ 1. Unassigning citizens from food tiles so that they starve to 1 pop and then build a settler.

It was a brutal affair but if you unassigned citizens from tiles they became entertainers and made the population happy. Dying from hunger but it's fine because there are jugglers everywhere.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Serephina posted:

CS loyalty decay

CS loyalty was absolutely scaled in Civ 5, and the whole point of slower game speeds is to increase the granularity of the combat simulation. About the only thing that didn't scale in Civ 5 (and unfortunately so, because it made them way too useful on faster speeds and completely useless on slower ones) was gold rewards from goody huts and El Dorado. On Quick, 100GP was like a free worker, or half of an army; 500GP was a settler and half an army. On Marathon, it's like, oh boy, if I find three more of these, I can buy one warrior :v:

Also, the way Civ 5 handled post-capture razing was, you could only do it in cities that you didn't build yourself, and only until you built a Courthouse it, at which point it was considered properly absorbed into your empire and couldn't be razed.

If you messed up on your own city, well, you probably shoulda known better.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 17, 2017

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

CS loyalty was absolutely scaled in Civ 5, and the whole point of slower game speeds is to increase the granularity of the combat simulation. About the only thing that didn't scale in Civ 5 (and unfortunately so, because it made them way too useful on faster speeds and completely useless on slower ones) was gold rewards from goody huts and El Dorado. On Quick, 100GP was like a free worker, or half of an army; 500GP was a settler and half an army. On Marathon, it's like, oh boy, if I find three more of these, I can buy one warrior :v:

Yeah, but rush buying in Marathon feels more powerful given you are saving a large chunk of the early game. Early on its 50-60 turns to build a settler.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Serephina posted:

That is why I added "with the way razing currently works" at the end there. Changing it to raze 1 pop every turn has other issues, as noted, and I actually prefer the current raze method. It should encourage you to not lose cities.

I should note again however that even Civ V did not let you do this to any city you wanted.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Raphus C posted:

Yeah, but rush buying in Marathon feels more powerful given you are saving a large chunk of the early game. Early on its 50-60 turns to build a settler.

You gotta consider how many turns it takes to get 1500GP, though. Before religion, your economy generally isn't very strong until you have a couple cities of respectable size and a few trade routes, and even if goody huts gave 150-300 gold per, that'd average out to 7.5 (give or take depending on how many barbarians you can snipe out from under the AI).

However, due to the way goody huts work in Civ 5, you can only get the same bonus every third hut (well, barring religion; Pantheon faith is a separate bonus from Prophet faith). So you'd have to get, on average, 25 goody huts to afford one settler. That's plenty, but if you were playing Kamehameha on a map with lots of islands or smaller landmasses, you might get that many, maybe. It's a longer shot, but not unrealistic, basically.

Against the unscaled gold reward, you need 22.5 gold huts on average to get a single settler, meaning that you can expect to afford a settler from bonus income alone after a massive 67 huts... assuming you always get gold on every third one. That's a lot! Most games on a large map probably won't even spawn that many.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 18, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for some reason no matter what length of time i play lately the game crashes on exit (it used to be if i played for a few hours but now it seems like its always), and after crashing steam is convinced the game is still running and i have to kill the steam process in order to play anything. validating files does nothing, has anyone had any experience with this issue or fixing it?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Try waiting a little bit after you save and then exit to the main menu before exiting the game.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Been away for a while. Did they ever implement a non-suck UI for spies and trade routes or are they both still really awful?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Been away for a while. Did they ever implement a non-suck UI for spies and trade routes or are they both still really awful?

The Spy UI is unchanged as far as I know. I've gotten used to clicking the buttons on the unit ability bar rather than the actual UI for most of it.

The Trade Route UI can be greatly improved with a mod. Don't think the official UI has changed any in that regard.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CQUI is a fantastic mod that everyone should use. Vastly improves trade routes, among other things.

Spies are unchanged.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It's a pretty good time to get back into the game if you're willing to use mods. There's a load of new civilizations that have been added via mods, and also UI improvements (and AI mods though haven't tried those yet).

AI vanilla is still hit and miss but it is improving. I very nearly lost my recent Emperor game and managed to barely take the win by sending out a small spy army to disable Churchill's spacestation districts (he only had two components left to build when I managed to get my spies in there), bring down his Industrial zones and also recruiting partisans to create chaos in his lands.

It was probably the most fun I've had with the game so far.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TipTow posted:

CQUI is a fantastic mod that everyone should use. Vastly improves trade routes, among other things.

Spies are unchanged.

Just wish I could find the damned config file for the thing.

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009
I found the game a bit annoying since it will not let me play it at all the way I want to play it as a peaceful build game. I used to be able to without fighting if I remember it. It does teach you how to play it properly by making you hate it so much though.

Even got a post deleted off Civfanatics in my rage at this game and they are good guys.

The stupidest stuff I had to do to prevent a war like the wall of inquisitors (double strength) and Ghandi telling me I needed an army and then stomping an opponent into the dirt who was being greedy (Victoria begged me to stop six times).

When some more mods get made for this game I will enjoy it more.

There is a full scripting language built in that is open source so you can turn off Sean Bean if you don't want to listen to him every time.

I did pay money for this game but it was not full price.

Already have the Sid Meier Collection from Humble Bundle but have hardly played them that much apart from CIV III that I played so much I had to quit cold turkey and take up photography.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
1.0.4 has finally landed on Mac, so heads up, Goon Game 3 players. I've taken my turn.

Also, disappointing note: not a single Mac hypervisor supports DX11, including VMWare Fusion.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm trying to play for the first time in a few weeks, but CQ UI doesnt seem to be working right for me anymore: Whenever I open a diplomacy screen the UI disappears and the diplomacy screen never loads. CQ is the only mod I have and its the version from the workshop. Any ideas?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Aerdan posted:

1.0.4 has finally landed on Mac, so heads up, Goon Game 3 players. I've taken my turn.

Yeah, I was surprised to have three PBEM games waiting for me this morning, not just one.

The newest game has almost caught up with the old ones in terms of turns played. Goon Game 2 is 30 turns in, Game 3 is 31 turns in, and the newest Spring Game is 23 turns in... after only about 18 days (I think?). I fully expect Firaxis to push out a new PC patch very soon and break compatibility again. :downs:

Is is typical for Mac to receive everything with such a delay? I mean in other games.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Xenoborg posted:

I'm trying to play for the first time in a few weeks, but CQ UI doesnt seem to be working right for me anymore: Whenever I open a diplomacy screen the UI disappears and the diplomacy screen never loads. CQ is the only mod I have and its the version from the workshop. Any ideas?

Where are you downloading it from? It seems that they have stopped doing "official releases", and the best way to get a version that works with the latest patch is to download the latest master directly: (https://github.com/CQUI-Org/cqui/releases , click link that says "nightly")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

markus_cz posted:

Is is typical for Mac to receive everything with such a delay? I mean in other games.

yes