Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My question is, for those who got in, is it worth my time to throw applications at the US schools or would I be better off working up from ordinary seaman? My gut says "both, and with as much chipper attitude and letters of recommendation as you can muster", but I can't really get a straight answer on how prestigious/selective the various maritime academies are, opinions seems to range from "basically West Point" to "Joe Blow's Boating School, Heroin Welcome".

When I was admitted to one of Canada's top two marine schools (IMHO), drat near fifteen years ago, they didn't so much as check whether you were legally admissible for a license before admitting you. Give it a shot.

On the other hand, the whole regiment thing sounds effin terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Mass/Maine are middle of the road, Kings Point would be the extreme version of regimentation and Cal Maritime aka Casual Maritime is about as relaxed as it gets. Not sure about GL, shovelbum can say more.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Uniformed but non regimented. Rules are still strict and they throw out a lot of guys for drinking underage etc

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

One time I showed up to class drunk from the night before. The instructor was pretty happy about it, cause there were only a handful of students in the room. But then he cancelled the class anyway when a kid who'd shown up in pajama pants started puking his guts out, so I was pretty annoyed at having gotten out of bed in the first place.

What I'm saying is, America's marine school are some sort of weird dystopian alternate reality.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

One time I showed up to class drunk from the night before. The instructor was pretty happy about it, cause there were only a handful of students in the room. But then he cancelled the class anyway when a kid who'd shown up in pajama pants started puking his guts out, so I was pretty annoyed at having gotten out of bed in the first place.

What I'm saying is, America's marine school are some sort of weird dystopian alternate reality.

Ours was that way because canada wouldn't allow ppl with alcohol offenses into the country, making them unemployable. More humane just to expel them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I used to live in Canada, nice place.

That's a relief to hear, I'm mostly paranoid about getting accepted in. Maine is probably my first choice and it seems their acceptance rate overall is 78%ish but still. The loving websites make every single school sound like they're looking for navy SEALS.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's a niche career and all the schools are goofy sausage fest circuses in frozen/sweltering/crime-ridden backwaters, I think you'll be fine.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
And the schools here in Canada are literally begging for attendance, so you can always go that route. (and none of the admission requirements are actually enforced )

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Minge Binge posted:

And the schools here in Canada are literally begging for attendance, so you can always go that route. (and none of the admission requirements are actually enforced )

Most of my credits are from an Ontario college, this route seems intriguing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Marine Institute at Memorial University of Newfoundland (St. John's)
Georgian Bay College (Owen Sounds)
BC Institute of Technology (Out West)

If you speak French, or even better are a Quebec resident somehow, Institut Maritime du Québec. (Rimouski)

In theory you're too late for a fall 2017 start, but that's nothing a phone call to the registrar won't fix.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

Marine Institute at Memorial University of Newfoundland (St. John's)
Georgian Bay College (Owen Sounds)
BC Institute of Technology (Out West)

If you speak French, or even better are a Quebec resident somehow, Institut Maritime du Québec. (Rimouski)

In theory you're too late for a fall 2017 start, but that's nothing a phone call to the registrar won't fix.

As a US citizen who still holds a valid canadian student visa to any school I desire (thank you 2014 reform), can you tell me what if any certifications I would need to enroll in Canada?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A student visa, or the ability to have one. Not sure about BCIT, but the other places will take a high school diploma, something like grade 11.

I believe you need to be a landed immigrant to get Transport Canada certification; I don't know how much if any of your certs would transfer to the USCG.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Marine Institute at Memorial University in St. John's is legit, there are loads of options for cadet placement in the offshore here and we are actually growing in our little bubble regardless of global prices. The nightlife in the city is also bonkers. You must be able to handle terrible weather though.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Go to California or New England since you don't have a degree.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

flashman posted:

Marine Institute at Memorial University in St. John's is legit, there are loads of options for cadet placement in the offshore here and we are actually growing in our little bubble regardless of global prices. The nightlife in the city is also bonkers. You must be able to handle terrible weather though.

Yeah St John's my number one recommendation, unless you're a Quebec resident. Because nothing will beat Rimouski's $150 a semester tuition.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

FrozenVent posted:

There were students that registered a week before the program started last fall and got in. Now, that's only if you decide to go engineering. I'm pretty sure nautical science is a different scenario

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Minge Binge posted:

There were students that registered a week before the program started last fall and got in. Now, that's only if you decide to go engineering. I'm pretty sure nautical science is a different scenario

Girl in my class walked into the student services office a week before class started, with a discharge book in hands and middling high school grades from five years previous. Did nautical science.

Note: This only works if there's space left in the class. There usually is.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

there was some students that didn't even have the required classes, let alone grades, and got in

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I've seen colorblind people (Can't get a medical, thus can't get a license) admitted, I've seen people missing limbs (Kind of makes rope ladders hard) admitted...

Seriously. Canadian marine schools are not picky.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, I fail miserably at the ishihara test (coloured dots that make numbers), but pass the farnsworth lantern with 100% (differentiating and identifying coloured lights.) Basically my understanding is that the ishihara tests for the presence of ANY colour deficiency while farnsworth tests severity. Farnsworth is considered a legit colour test on the US CG-719K, but should I be concerned about that? I have extremely mild red deficiency, basically it's nonexistent outside of the fuckking coloured dot test. I have never ever had any trouble with colour outside of the loving dot numbers, not with dressing, not with traffic lights, hell I loving paint, I can tel crimson from scarlet, but I definitely have some kind of issue since I can't see the numbers.

My mom's friends with an optometrist so I can definitely just get a farnsworth and a dude to say "yup, checks out" and sign the form but should I be concerned in either the US or Canada?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The only place I've seen the ishihara plates are when I go to Kaiser and see my doctor and he fills out my USCG physical for me for my STCW medical. He has to dig around to find them and that's probably one of the very few occasions they ever use them. The union physical doesn't use them, I don't remember if I saw them at school or not.

Iasknmc is a good place to ask random questions like that I think.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 7, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I had a color blind classmate at usmma. They noticed junior year (he'd manage to fake it prior to that physical). He managed to graduate. Edit he was deck side too.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Did you get your 2nds yet Shovelbum? There will be one on the California on the 28th for the reflag. Not great run but good people and OT for ~60 days.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/2c0xqBe

Well gently caress, now I want a tugboat.

:allbuttons:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

dude owns

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is Saudi flag FOC or do they have Saudi officers who live in like gold plated officers decks

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The UAE sent people to CMA for schooling, I think there were some Saudis as well so not really FOC.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

http://www.marinelink.com/news/tacoma-could-exit423893

Something going on with the Alaska service, they are letting the contract with the terminal expire. Nobody really knows anything that I've asked.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Probably just do everything out of Seattle, they have plenty of room up there and the C9s pull in there. Saves 6+ hours per trip as well.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

Probably just do everything out of Seattle, they have plenty of room up there and the C9s pull in there. Saves 6+ hours per trip as well.

Not so much room anymore t18 just picked up three of the THE Alliance services that are leaving W.U.T. Matson is already getting bumped back over to the other side .

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Theres no chance they give up that AK run, they had their eye on it for years and finally got it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Maybe they want to start over on the shore side of things for the service, instead of having what the inherited from horizon?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This might not be terribly interesting to anyone in the thread who works in the industry, but as a lurker I've really enjoyed this new podcast/series "Containers": https://soundcloud.com/containersfmg

It's about how containiseration started and has changed global trade and the economy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Horizon was an absolute poo poo show at the end. They hosed up every opportunity they could, from price fixing to the D8s and then gave all their senior executives golden parachutes so I wouldn't be surprised. Matson is a bit more sensible but that might be due to their A&B roots. Hopefully they stay that way now that they are publicly traded.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There are many things I cannot say, but yeah basically.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

This might not be terribly interesting to anyone in the thread who works in the industry, but as a lurker I've really enjoyed this new podcast/series "Containers": https://soundcloud.com/containersfmg

It's about how containiseration started and has changed global trade and the economy.

Yeah, I got turned into it from 99% invisible. It's really good, and well worth the listen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Payscale came out with their latest College ROI table, and quite a few maritime transportation schools are in their top 15, including USMMA, SUNY Maritime, and CSU Maritime.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Really not surprising. The base wages are high in this field

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Maine and Mass should be somewhere up there as well, usually the maritime schools move around a bit depending on the ranking used but all are up there.

While sailing jobs help, they don't really tell the whole story. At Cal Maritime I am one of a handful of people still sailing. Almost all of the Mechanical Engineers and quite a few facilities and marine engineers that stayed shoreside are in upper management of some type. For the people that left school and went stationary into the IUOSE local 39, pay starts at around $50/hour with all sorts of built in OT and vacation so coming out of school, engineers can hit 6 figures without trying at all.

God forbid you mention this to mechanical engineers at a regular school though, they will get all up in arms about how it's not real engineering and we shouldn't use the term engineer etc etc and then go be happy in their $50k/year or less job trying to get enough time to get their PE so they can try to match wages. Sorry, getting talked down to by people who can't do what I do without spending another 2-3 years at school while I can take the EIT if I actually cared even though it wouldn't increase my pay gets old.

Edit: Haha, got in to School of Mines for their MS in Engineering and Tech Management but declined. They have a similar outlook for their grads as the academies but it comes with a similar academic environment and m:f ratio. Undergrad was too depressing to do twice.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Most people skip the EIT because it's usually around the same time as license. For anyone still in school, don't. Take the EIT, you'll be glad you did. I'm glad I did.

• Locked thread