Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

If they're cool with 2019 being the most optimistic estimate for alpha 4.0 the PU's vertical slice, this may actually go on forever. Chris Roberts has invented perpetual game development with a little help from Derek Smart breaking peoples minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I didn't know Derek was such a huge racist, and hated Germans so badly.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.
Regarding the delta patcher issue, is it because Croberts desperately wants everything encrypted so you dirty goons can't see the presumably awful spaghetti code that is being used?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kae-JjbLsgA

:eyepop:

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

XK posted:

Dayman (ah-ah-ah)
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun! (ah-ah-ah)
You're a Master of Karate
And Friendship
For Everyone

:gary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzaVd6zl2bA

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

XK posted:

I didn't know Derek was such a huge racist, and hated Germans so badly.

D_Smart posted:

I hate Germans

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:vince:

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
https://www.facebook.com/StarWars/videos/1354773127942660/

Is this up to the fidelity of Star Citizen?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Croberts can only dream about the fidelity of the frostbite engine

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Prediction: Battlefront 2 will be out before 3.0

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Warhawk109 posted:

Prediction: Battlefront 2 will be out before 3.0

Of course. You see 3.0 is an higher number than 2. And furthermore ...

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

" all in game rendered footage"

gently caress me.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
I'm having too much fun:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/65kvfj/prediction_battlefront_2_will_be_out_before_30/?st=J1JNNNGF&sh=2c7fd618

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Here is a conspiracy theory for you all.

The way the patching works now has put off so many people from even updating anymore that a delta patcher would in fact mean more bandwidth was used per month than it is now because more people would do it :tinfoil:

No, you don't get to use this excuse, i demand a new video you angry cat. :argh:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think it would be a great challenge for somebody to find anything Chris Roberts has ever done even once that met a schedule.

His vacation schedule (for the Monaco F1 Grand Prix) is always met.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

3.0 is literally a demo of No Man's Sky but you can pick up boxes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

"Rip karma"

LOL!!

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
It was worth it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

ho lee poo poo

spectrum is just what the doctor ordered.

Mao Roberts is pleased.

Holy lol! My sides! Just how stupid do they think the backers are? Like, I mean, they are dumb as gently caress but come on!

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

:negative:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beet Wagon posted:

The monthly report features shots of the cafeteria mocap :psypop:

Why do they keep doing this?

The entire game is set in a cafeteria,the doors are locked and and you're stood in line waiting for space cafeteria food forever.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The entire game is set in a cafeteria,the doors are locked and and you're stood in line waiting for space cafeteria food forever.

Rage against the canteen.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dooguk posted:

Rage against the canteen.

:five: beautiful :golfclap:

Star citizen : The penne a la arribiata chronicles, a chris Roberts original story.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 15, 2017

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

trucutru posted:

Holy lol! My sides! Just how stupid do they think the backers are? Like, I mean, they are dumb as gently caress but come on!

I think they know their audience pretty well, for whatever it's worth.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

I think they know their audience pretty well, for whatever it's worth.

Yup, can almost sense Boraxx chuckling away and turning over the oversized sand timer that has a label saying "Time until the penny drops" on it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, the thought did cross my mind. :grin:

Welcome back, friend. :3:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sorry we forgot, we should all probably wish you a happy anniversary!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Irrefutable proof that the schedule is bullshit.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Irrefutable proof that the schedule is bullshit.

explain ?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The ongoing war against doors will never be won for CIG.

Just as soon as they figure out the whole door thing (doors being both open and closed for example), they will totally take this CryEngine modding skill to use and invent internet communication that allows for fleet battles and ground battles and on ship battles all in the same place, with twitch type combat where reflexes are key.

Oh and keeping your guy well rested so he doesn't not leap over that wall in zero-g due to tired.

Somebody needs to ask CR how he plans on mocapping all these animations except in zero-g because what if your space ships gravity is turned off but you really need to have a meal in the cafeteria otherwise your space man will be tired/die of starvation.

If I need to see this animation not in zero-g, my immersion is ruined.

Come on guys, you know you're dying to help CR figure out what his next mocap and money sink is. I think zero-g motion capture could be the ticket! :homebrew:

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Anyone remember when they had an ATV early in 2016 on Persistence, and all the things they wanted to add through the year, which included character customisation (as indicated in this thread)

Would be nice to list broken promises.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
They've actually shown off lots of pictures of female avatars I thought. It's funny they didn't even make the cut for the totally 100% real project timeline.

I would suggest a drinking match for every CIG deadline missed, but we'd have alcoholics on our hands at this point and probably a few in the hospital.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Dr Smart is free again, thank god.

Happy Easter Derek!

Don't let the QCS eunuchs get you down!

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
What's the current timeline and have they committed to a release date yet? I just want to know if I can do my Christmas shopping this year or ten years from now

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nazgul posted:

What's the current timeline and have they committed to a release date yet? I just want to know if I can do my Christmas shopping this year or ten years from now

The current timeline is absolutely hilarious. We know the very-likely-to-be-missed release date of their next alpha version, if that would do? Also Squadron 42 will always be scheduled for release "this year" until somewhere around October when it's refactored to say "next year"

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Nazgul posted:

2 - 8 months from now, you can expect to explore 3 empty procgen moons and play that one mission with Miles Eckhart they showed off last August.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

They don't have to hurry to add planets it is easy to do, they just have to mocap Ben once or twice.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The current timeline is absolutely hilarious. We know the very-likely-to-be-missed release date of their next alpha version, if that would do? Also Squadron 42 will always be scheduled for release "this year" until somewhere around October when it's refactored to say "next year"

If the company is around by then :P

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I guess that one random internet dude sending me emails was kinda right

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • 3.0 will arrive this year
  • in the first release, there will be a planetary landing mode accessible from the main screen (or space stations)
  • you will not be able to fly down to the planet from space
  • there will be rovers akin to the mako for ground exploration
  • desert planet populated with several small oasis
  • playable space is less than 100km2
  • 3.0 will include a new player inventory
  • no new ship inventory in this release
  • mining will be available
  • player to player trading is not available in this release
  • crafting will not be in this release
  • the planet will only hold 32 players
  • the planet will be instanced
  • currently no ground combat npcs or other life
  • the planet will not track changes made by players
  • this will be the only planet available for this release
  • will feature 3 distinct, hand crafted outposts with new quests
  • players will not be able to go underwater (unsure if this means no water or that they can't get in water or what)
  • sqlude has been pushed to q1 2018
  • mocap cleanup still ongoing with "years" of manpower still to come
  • many npcs and quests from sq42 have been migrated to SC, as SC specific quests (3.0 planet will feature these)

quote:

What I sent you is what [name] considers the barest of bones release of 3.0. Currently, in order to hit [name]'s release to coincide ship sales, this is what we have to put out. I am beyond hopeful more progress will be made before we release this to backers. Planetary landings are posing extremely problematic at the moment, as well as AI. We were left last year with almost zero progress on AI thanks to [contracted company] but have since moved all work in-house. Most contracted studios are now gone replaced by in-house people.

I want to mention the negativity about the project. I don't know if you'll post this. I want to say many of us here believe in what we are doing. We are not relaxing in hot tubs surrounded by bikini-clad girls, smoking fat-cat cigars lit with backer money. We work very, very hard. Sixty hours a week sometimes. We try to breathe life into this game. We are not a faceless zombie army of programmers and artists. We are people. I want everyone to remember that.

We do understand the patience of people is wearing thing. Mistakes, sometimes big mistakes, have been made. I am not privy to every piece of information regarding those. We know they've happened. We don't stop working. We don't stop trying. We guide and mentor and continue to strive to make the best of bad situations.

We are years out from a full release. Please try to understand that doesn't mean never. Backers started this journey with us and I hope they finish it with us.

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

stingtwo posted:

If the company is around by then :P

The fourteen companies will be around for quite some to come.

The released schedule basically validates that the 3.0 branch of development has been going on parallel for quite some time. One only needs to read the schedule notes to know they have many things in place.