Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

The Daredevil film was especially frustrating because there was a good movie in there somewhere.

No there loving wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dope feels weirdly inauthentic in a lot of ways.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Really? It felt very exaggerated to me, but it was nice to see black teens being depicted as nerdy AF. Because for real that's most black teens.

Rhyno posted:

No there loving wasn't.
Duncan's Kingpin is cool

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The biggest strike against Dope is probably that final speech, which is defensive as hell against a racial status quo that the movie hasn't bothered to meaningfully establish.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My biggest problem with Dope after I first watched it is that I couldn't sympathize or empathize at all with the main character. And I'm a black nerd.

Arist posted:

Dope feels weirdly inauthentic in a lot of ways.

This too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Duncan's Kingpin is cool

A lot of the casting is solid. Affleck's not awful, even if I think Damon would've been a better choice at the time, Favreau's pretty good as Foggy (Happy Hogan is his SECOND Marvel schlubby sidekick role), and MCD and Farrell are very enjoyable. The director's cut even adds a bit more lawyering, to the point where I think Matt might do more of it in that movie than in season 2 of the TV version. A lot of it's worst failings boil down to Garner being horribly miscast and the film being hung around the Elektra story so it could be marketed as a date movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gaz-L posted:

A lot of it's worst failings boil down to Garner being horribly miscast and the film being hung around the Elektra story so it could be marketed as a date movie.

Hey that's how you get asses in seats.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
See, they literally did do that with Daredevil. Like to the point where they totally changed a scene in the theatrical cut to have Matt blow off a person crying out in trouble to bone Elektra, whereas in the director's cut, he leaves, signalling the trouble in their relationship.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

No there loving wasn't.

https://youtu.be/sLntlRklNBU
https://youtu.be/au3EtZEla5Y

You're gonna tell me these aren't nuggets of greatness hidden within a pile of poo poo? Cmon son.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's five minutes, combined

That's your argument about the good qualities of daredevil, less than four percent of the film's run time.

there's not a good movie in daredevil

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

purple death ray posted:

That's your argument about the good qualities of daredevil, less than four percent of the film's run time.

...he's being sarcastic. He highlighted what are commonly considered the two WORST scenes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Daredevil was received well enough by fans and critics and made enough money that they immediately rushed a spin-off into production.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I won a Daredevil knit cap at a preview screening after hitting a target with a ball while blindfolded. Only good thing I have to say about the movie.

I still want a Sin City esque DD movie where his and Elektra's costumes are the only color. Bullseye and Kingpin are pretty much just black and white already.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jamesman posted:

https://youtu.be/sLntlRklNBU
https://youtu.be/au3EtZEla5Y

You're gonna tell me these aren't nuggets of greatness hidden within a pile of poo poo? Cmon son.
Daredevil's a weirdly 1997 looking movie. This movie came out the same year as X-men 2 and Return of the King. And that's really hard to believe based on those clips.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Daredevil was worth it just for the scene where Bullseye assassinates an old lady with a peanut.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
That scene is worth about 50 cents. Canadian.

On the other hand, I could probably get my hands on a copy of Daredevil for about 50 cents.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Colin Farrell is underrated and I like his Bullseye (except for the stupid forehead thing).

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'd rather marathon all 4 Fantastic 4s and toss a Ghost Rider in for good measure than ever watch Daredevil again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

parallelodad posted:

Daredevil was received well enough by fans and critics and made enough money that they immediately rushed a spin-off into production.

Based entirely on how popular Jennifer Garner was at the time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rhyno posted:

Based entirely on how popular Jennifer Garner was at the time.

She was?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Yeah, just coming off of Alias, which was a kind of big deal, if I recall.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was never a big hit but got nominations and awards.

In season 4 they put it on after Lost and it had a huge ratings jump, and the movie was made that same year.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 15, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, just coming off of Alias, which was a kind of big deal, if I recall.

I binged this not too long ago. I didn't regret it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It was never a big hit but got nominations and awards.

In season 4 they put it on after Lost and it had a huge ratings jump, and the movie was made that same year.

It might slip people's minds, but Alias used to be what JJ Abrams was known for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

It might slip people's minds, but Alias used to be what JJ Abrams was known for.

Also this.

But yea, Garner was a loving tv juggernaut and if you look at that era she was churning out films left and right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She literally had 1 other movie in that span that wasn't Daredevil or Elektra.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

She literally had 1 other movie in that span that wasn't Daredevil or Elektra.

"That era" is a pretty brouad term and don't you pretend for one goddamned second that she didn't have a major film release almost every year from 2000 until 2010. She was hugely popular.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Literally no major roles in 5 of those 10 years.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Guys. GUYS. You're having a semantics argument about Jennifer Garner.

Gaz-L posted:

And Felicity. And without Felicity we probably wouldn't have Keri Russell on The Americans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Guys. GUYS. You're having a semantics argument about Jennifer Garner.

And Felicity. And without Felicity we probably wouldn't have Keri Russell on The Americans.

Remember the fan uproar when she cut her hair?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

Remember the fan uproar when she cut her hair?

Lol. Yes! You would've thought the sky was loving falling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Lol. Yes! You would've thought the sky was loving falling.

May I also say that she has aged like a drat fine wine.

Like drat, she's still gorgeous.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Garner was a big enough name that she was cast opposite Kevin goddamned Kline in Cyrano de Bergerac. She was not, so much, the least bit good in it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Kevin goddamned Kline

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Daredevil would've been better if Affleck and Farrell switched roles

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Speaking of Garner, every time I see her in a Capital One ad I can't help but stare because she is a goddamned fox these days.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

Did you really watch those clips and think I was being serious? The Daredevil movie is godawful.

Speaking of godawful, Suicide Squad was just on TV. It was AMAZING how every few minutes there was a song. It was like a ton of lovely music videos strung together with a Jersey accent that kept fading in and out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Daredevil had the playground scene which would stink up any movie. The only other comic book movie that had a scene that bad was Catwoman. Yes I am saying that the playground scene and the basketball scene from Catwoman were equally bad.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Madkal posted:

Daredevil had the playground scene which would stink up any movie. The only other comic book movie that had a scene that bad was Catwoman. Yes I am saying that the playground scene and the basketball scene from Catwoman were equally bad.

They're like the same scene over and over and over again in so many different kinds of movies that it's like this film writing 101 portal to hell opened every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's not just the writing though the writing is bad. Those scenes are also amazingly poorly staged and executed as well. You can make a good "person with superpowers surprises other person with abilities" scene.

• Locked thread