Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Ben McCurry, the freelancer who wrote a scathing takedown of Brash Games within his Pacman 256 review has a piece up on Jim Sterling's website about just how terrible Brash Games and Paul Ryan are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I wanted to play Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin with my DS4 but something is incredibly hosed with the Dark Souls games on PC because the buttons are all wrong and I can't stop the camera from spinning. Might just get the PS4 version at this rate.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lizard Wizard posted:

I wanted to play Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin with my DS4 but something is incredibly hosed with the Dark Souls games on PC because the buttons are all wrong and I can't stop the camera from spinning. Might just get the PS4 version at this rate.

That's why I don't/can't use DS4 on PC. The drivers are fickle as hell and it likes to arbitrarily not work correctly on some PCs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Nothing is hosed up with the game, it's the PC's lack of support for the dualshock 4. Get DS4Windows if you don't have it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's literally just the Dark Souls games that gently caress up though. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They don't have native support for it. A growing handful of games/software (like Steam) nowadays do. Others pretend you have an Xbox 360 controller. Generally using a program like DS4Windows allows you to fake the latter when a game doesn't have support.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Generally using a program like DS4Windows allows you to fake the latter when a game doesn't have support.

I am.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do you have "Hide DS4 Controller" checked in your settings? If not, try that. I was playing it like today and it worked fine for me so it is possible for it to work.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dr Cheeto posted:

Ben McCurry, the freelancer who wrote a scathing takedown of Brash Games within his Pacman 256 review has a piece up on Jim Sterling's website about just how terrible Brash Games and Paul Ryan are.

What is it with people named Paul Ryan being colossal dickheads?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Are all Paul Ryan inherently cursed to do evil deeds?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Trying to play a DS2 with a DS4 is asking for trouble!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Do you have "Hide DS4 Controller" checked in your settings? If not, try that. I was playing it like today and it worked fine for me so it is possible for it to work.

Aha, I fixed it. Turns out I had to close Steam before doing that, thanks a bunch!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Aha, I fixed it. Turns out I had to close Steam before doing that, thanks a bunch!

No problem. It can be a bit finnicky but I've only had one game actually fail to work entirely with my DS4 (it was XCOM 2, but I think the first big patch fixed it).

Jay Rust posted:

Trying to play a DS2 with a DS4 is asking for trouble!

:eyepop:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kai Tave posted:

The comic book artist seems ok but I haven't delved into his personal opinions or anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is 14 bucks a good price for the Lego Avengers game?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Perhaps having two first names like that causes a lack of empathy or something, Idk.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

Perhaps having two first names like that causes a lack of empathy or something, Idk.

I can confirm this

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I work with a guy with two first names and I he has a very little empathy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Lol why aren't you using mouse and keyboard, casual scrub

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm trying to play a no-shield build. Sure am getting hit a lot!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pro tip: If you're doing no-shield, upgrade your Adaptability stat whenever you have leftover points, it gives your roll more i-frames. Try getting your Agility stat up to 100-ish. 2 is the only Dark Souls game that does this because it was a terrible idea.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Personally I liked the ending at the time but I came to like it more in the days that followed as I kept thinking about it, especially how it could have been entirely negative (the messages you get are left by actual people and have some really lovely ones possible) but the whole experience was supportive
I've had about a day and I think I've been able to dissect it a bit, though by no means am I certain I'm finished.

First and foremost, Nier: Automata was a great game. The action flows very well and there are enough components to tweak (chips, pod programs) that I wanted to dig into its guts and RPG it up, so I ultimately I could have fun with the gameplay both in and out of battle. The music is immaculate and the way it was utilized was very smart and often haunting; it's the one thing I will probably remember the most of the game as time goes on. The story is very powerfully told and full of numerous moments that are very memorable both in on their own and how they are woven into the overall tapestry. No matter how you slice, top to bottom, it was a great experience with no major flaws.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. Not in a sense that I was dissatisfied with how it went, but more in a meta sense that I just think I had expectations that were just too extravagant and far more complex than the really rather simple, human story that Nier:A wanted to tell. I saw several people say some semblance of "so-and-so game also released this year was great but I know I'll forget about it in time; whereas Nier: Automata told a story that I will remember for years to come." I've experienced stories like that in video games before, and it's a wonderful feeling because the game takes on a life of its own in your mind as time goes on and obviously colors the way you look back on the game as a whole. Combined with the notion that Nier: Automata also apparently goes in a "crazy" or "unexpected" direction with its endings, I really had built up what that endgame would be like.

And I'm not certain I got that. It was beautifully told, and I enjoyed it immensely, but I felt that in the end it was a rather traditional package of a good ol' video game as opposed to something I will dwell on again and again. Perhaps this is coming off as nonsense but there was this disconnect between the (very good) video game I was playing and what I was hoping for. Basically the last 10 hours or so of the game when I knew I was close to wrapping up I kept internally asking myself "oh man, is this when it gets crazy? Maybe now? Maybe now?" rather than just sitting back and enjoying the story it wanted to tell.

I also honestly wish I had played the first Nier first, if only because it would have alleviated questions I had before I even needed to ask them. I would know that so-and-so characters aren't going to get a lot of backstory suddenly, because they already got it in the first game. I would have known to just kind roll with their introduction rather than constantly wondering when or if the game would get around to explaining them. Even just reading a quick summary of the plot and characters would've been huge. Oh well.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Pro tip: If you're doing no-shield, upgrade your Adaptability stat whenever you have leftover points, it gives your roll more i-frames. Try getting your Agility stat up to 100-ish. 2 is the only Dark Souls game that does this because it was a terrible idea.

I'm actually doing DS1 first since I never beat it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I've had about a day and I think I've been able to dissect it a bit, though by no means am I certain I'm finished.

First and foremost, Nier: Automata was a great game. The action flows very well and there are enough components to tweak (chips, pod programs) that I wanted to dig into its guts and RPG it up, so I ultimately I could have fun with the gameplay both in and out of battle. The music is immaculate and the way it was utilized was very smart and often haunting; it's the one thing I will probably remember the most of the game as time goes on. The story is very powerfully told and full of numerous moments that are very memorable both in on their own and how they are woven into the overall tapestry. No matter how you slice, top to bottom, it was a great experience with no major flaws.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. Not in a sense that I was dissatisfied with how it went, but more in a meta sense that I just think I had expectations that were just too extravagant and far more complex than the really rather simple, human story that Nier:A wanted to tell. I saw several people say some semblance of "so-and-so game also released this year was great but I know I'll forget about it in time; whereas Nier: Automata told a story that I will remember for years to come." I've experienced stories like that in video games before, and it's a wonderful feeling because the game takes on a life of its own in your mind as time goes on and obviously colors the way you look back on the game as a whole. Combined with the notion that Nier: Automata also apparently goes in a "crazy" or "unexpected" direction with its endings, I really had built up what that endgame would be like.

And I'm not certain I got that. It was beautifully told, and I enjoyed it immensely, but I felt that in the end it was a rather traditional package of a good ol' video game as opposed to something I will dwell on again and again. Perhaps this is coming off as nonsense but there was this disconnect between the (very good) video game I was playing and what I was hoping for. Basically the last 10 hours or so of the game when I knew I was close to wrapping up I kept internally asking myself "oh man, is this when it gets crazy? Maybe now? Maybe now?" rather than just sitting back and enjoying the story it wanted to tell.

I also honestly wish I had played the first Nier first, if only because it would have alleviated questions I had before I even needed to ask them. I would know that so-and-so characters aren't going to get a lot of backstory suddenly, because they already got it in the first game. I would have known to just kind roll with their introduction rather than constantly wondering when or if the game would get around to explaining them. Even just reading a quick summary of the plot and characters would've been huge. Oh well.

What choice did you make in the end?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nate RFB posted:

go get the other endings maybe

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

What choice did you make in the end?
I didn't delete my save, if that's what you mean. Gotta go back to finish up sidequests and the like.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

Depends, is cdkeys considered a legit site? They have it for $3.79.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpFXydY1K8k

The PC release of Persona 5 is coming along faster than I expected.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.moddb.com/games/area-511/downloads/area-51-pc-version
This is the PC version. It was declared legally free. So, enjoy! Hope to see you on the servers. Multiplayer still works! Put on your HAZMAT suite, and grab your rifle it's time to slaughter aliens and mutants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

raditts posted:

Depends, is cdkeys considered a legit site? They have it for $3.79.

It is not.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

The most baffling part of this to me is why they were having him do a review of a game that has been out for like 2 years. Even the Steam version has been out almost a year.

Lurdiak posted:

It is not.

Oh. Well, I'd probably wait for a steam sale or something. Lego games usually go on sale for $5-10 about 6-12 months after release, and I think there was a deal on Bundlestars or something a couple months back where you could get any 3 of them for $10.
If you can't wait that long then I guess $15 is decent.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

It's alright, not great. Bundlestars does bundles where you could get Avengers + 2 other Lego games for 10$.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I had never heard of Brash Games until this page of this thread, and if that site makes money off ad impressions I wonder if the publicity ends up doing Paul Ryan a favor

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Wait really? I've put off starting this until I can devote some serious attention. Had no idea the first game tied in to such an extent.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobstertainment posted:

Wait really? I've put off starting this until I can devote some serious attention. Had no idea the first game tied in to such an extent.

It's barely connected at all besides taking place in the same universe, with the exception of I think three characters. In fact, playing the original Nier first will actually spoil a pretty important plot point of Automata for you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

It's barely connected at all besides taking place in the same universe, with the exception of I think three characters. In fact, playing the original Nier first will actually spoil a pretty important plot point of Automata for you.

Unless you are a time traveler I'm not sure that's how spoilers work

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Am I experiencing deja vu here or have we had this exact conversation already in this thread

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We intentionally started making dumber posts, because once the conversation ends we will have no purpose.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jordan7hm posted:

It's alright, not great. Bundlestars does bundles where you could get Avengers + 2 other Lego games for 10$.

Not only that, Lego Avengers is a really weak follow-up to Lego Marvel, though that is admittedly the highest mark in the silly Lego collectathon series by quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Unless you are a time traveler I'm not sure that's how spoilers work

There's a plot point in Automata that is spoiled in Nier because Nier takes place in the relevant time period. :shrug:

edit: What I specifically mean is (endgame spoilers for both games) Nier reveals very explicitly that the humans are all already gone. So that becoming a major plot point in Automata will have way less impact if you already know the truth.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 15, 2017

• Locked thread