Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I'm not going to link or directly quote the article, and I'm only mentioning it because I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for positive McLaren news, but.........Joe Saward claims Honda has been convinced to seek outside help with their engine, and thinks they will make a big step forward in the summer. He also noted that Mario Illien was at the recent meetings to discuss the 2020 engine formula, which may or may not be related.

This was the same Joe Saward that was convinced Alexander Rossi was going to parachute into the McLaren seat for Monaco instead of defending the Indy 500 crown in a competitive car, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Umm...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crying or high?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Crying or high?

Why be mutually exclusive in this case?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There are non JJoc* rumours that Merc are offering to help Honda out on the down low like they did for Renault a couple of years back

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The return of Axis power. All that's missing is for Ferrari to chip in as well.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

There are non JJoc* rumours that Merc are offering to help Honda out on the down low like they did for Renault a couple of years back

Lol, for real? That's incredible.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

Crying or high?

Both

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Lol, for real? That's incredible.

The Merc guys treat it like one of those days where the company spends a day clearing up a hedgerow for a local community or whatever, except they get to piss themselves laughing at how Honda do engines.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tsaedje posted:

Something tells me Merc is much closer to the limit financially than one would think. They are succeeding, but they are also spending a tremendous amount on their power unit, and have just had to take a paycut from the williams customer team.

It wouldn't surprise me at all for them to sell a package of 2016 engine performance data and future engineering assist to Honda, knowing that it will take time for Honda to absorb the information and that Mercedes will have moved on. Turning any of their F1 R&D into hard cash is probably a real goal for everybody in management.

They are betting a closer Mclaren will be better for them and the sport in the long term than letting the team wither and another engine maker leave. Which is probably true.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

Why be mutually exclusive in this case?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Something tells me Merc is much closer to the limit financially than one would think. They are succeeding, but they are also spending a tremendous amount on their power unit, and have just had to take a paycut from the williams customer team.

It wouldn't surprise me at all for them to sell a package of 2016 engine performance data and future engineering assist to Honda, knowing that it will take time for Honda to absorb the information and that Mercedes will have moved on. Turning any of their F1 R&D into hard cash is probably a real goal for everybody in management.

They are betting a closer Mclaren will be better for them and the sport in the long term than letting the team wither and another engine maker leave. Which is probably true.

If you're right about their finances, the last thing they'd want is to have to supply McLaren with engines. So it benefits them to help Honda catch up.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

wicka posted:

If you're right about their finances, the last thing they'd want is to have to supply McLaren with engines. So it benefits them to help Honda catch up.

In that hypothetical scenario, wouldn't McLaren be paying Merc for the engines?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lou Takki posted:

In that hypothetical scenario, wouldn't McLaren be paying Merc for the engines?

The engine supply cap is like $12m/year, it doesn't come close to covering the manufacturer's costs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wonder why Alonso wants to run the 500?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Becuse it's on the same level as a Le Mans win

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Why wouldn't he?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

On-par power units or not, a team that's been on full triage since December won't be competitive. There's really no short-term risk at all.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I still cannot get my head around the thought process that leads you to test a single cylinder and then just assume everything will be cool when you bolt a bunch more onto it.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

He's ready to jump off this mortal coil

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Why is enginer supplying capped at 12m/year? If you're losing money on it, why would you...?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He wants his average speed this year to equal the mercedes drivers.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

I love that Alonso wants to do Indy, it shows the true racer he is

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I hope Alonso can adjust to driving a fast car again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I still cannot get my head around the thought process that leads you to test a single cylinder and then just assume everything will be cool when you bolt a bunch more onto it.

Anime

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

On-par power units or not, a team that's been on full triage since December won't be competitive. There's really no short-term risk at all.

Yeah, Honda has money and Mercedes sees a chance to get a cut with very low risk for themselves. I know I put more detail in my last post, but it comes down to money from a business deal, and any fringe benefits are just that, on the fringe.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

ilmucche posted:

Why is enginer supplying capped at 12m/year? If you're losing money on it, why would you...?

Less because they want to, more because they have to :v:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Tsaedje posted:

Wait what was this about? Why did they help Renault?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
With Bottas on Pole, It's pretty clear that F1 today is much more about the car than the driver. I wish we could put Lance in the Mercedes to prove this theory.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Can someone help me figure precisely when this thread decided Bottas was actually some shitbox driver?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

daslog posted:

With Bottas on Pole, It's pretty clear that F1 today is much more about the car than the driver. I wish we could put Lance in the Mercedes to prove this theory.

Stroll would struggle to put a Mercedes into Q3.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

keevo posted:

Wait what was this about? Why did they help Renault?

When Renault were having problems with the new engine formula Mercedes gave them a bit of assistance, because being both quicker and more reliable than your competitors gets really boring. For as much poo poo as Honda are getting, that first Renault engine was a pile of poo poo too. There's a reason Red Bull tried to get away until Renault sorted their act out.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

Can someone help me figure precisely when this thread decided Bottas was actually some shitbox driver?

He jumped into his first competitive car and wasn't immediately on pace with two multiple world champions. Also he lost it behind the safety car - something only poo poo-tier drivers do

SchumacherMonaco2004.gifv

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much. Its almosy opposites now, if the thread rants that someone is poo poo itz because theyre actually good

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bottas has never placed a car above it's mechanical ability

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Pretty much. Its almosy opposites now, if the thread rants that someone is poo poo itz because theyre actually good

Bottas isn't that good.
He had a fair few good drives for Williams, but was wildly inconsistent and got beaten by Massa - a noted "not great" driver - roughly as much as he beat him in a competitive Williams.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Schlesische posted:

Bottas isn't that good.
He had a fair few good drives for Williams, but was wildly inconsistent and got beaten by Massa - a noted "not great" driver - roughly as much as he beat him in a competitive Williams.

he lost a lot to pastor when they were team mates too.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Powershift posted:

he lost a lot to pastor when they were team mates too.

He scored 4 points to Maldonado's 1 in his rookie season, then consistently finished above Massa by 51 points, 15 points and 32 points

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Nico still playing mind games

https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/853279839524204546

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

He scored 4 points to Maldonado's 1 in his rookie season, then consistently finished above Massa by 51 points, 15 points and 32 points

He scored more points because he finished 8th once and maldonado finished 10th once. points don't tell you poo poo when neither driver gets one in 17 of 19 races. Maldonado finished ahead in 9 of the races they both finished, Bottas only 5.

• Locked thread