Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

but what if my post apocalyptic fantasy involves crowbarring open a crate of mosins and drafting the neighbors into my warband?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

I wrote a paper sometime back in 2004 or so about survivalism as a nonreligious eschatological practice and one thing I remember from reading the source material (by Kurt Saxon, that insane man) was that his recommendation was to have just three guns: a .38 revolver, a 30-06 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun. He apparently felt that people who used survivalism as an excuse to get all the guns were kind of stupid in all sorts of ways.

If you need an excuse to rationalize getting all the guns, you're already doing it wrong. Unless you're married, I guess.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cyrano4747 posted:

but what if my post apocalyptic fantasy involves crowbarring open a crate of mosins and drafting the neighbors into my warband?

All hail Lord Humongous.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shouldn't you get a .357 instead of a .38 so you can feed it everything from .38 Colt to hot magnum loads?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Been looking for an excuse to get a chiappa 12" alaskan takedown levergun in .44 and imminent nuclear exchange is as good a reason as any I suppose..

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

How bad of an idea is this really in that situation?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

I wrote a paper sometime back in 2004 or so about survivalism as a nonreligious eschatological practice and one thing I remember from reading the source material (by Kurt Saxon, that insane man) was that his recommendation was to have just three guns: a .38 revolver, a 30-06 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun. He apparently felt that people who used survivalism as an excuse to get all the guns were kind of stupid in all sorts of ways.

A 10/22 and a .38, that's all.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
When exactly are those big Russian maneuvers happening anyways? If it's really done to hide preparations to invade us, at least I can work to get you prime footage of the new T-72B3 and being on the incoming end of exciting developments in UAV-MLRS partnership.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes, but they don't have to wipe it off the map like Berlin in 1945. Even getting a few barrages of high caliber HE and as many more SRBMs into the city would cause a LOT of deaths.

Seoul has an extensive system of subways and shelters.

http://nautilus.org/napsnet/napsnet-special-reports/mind-the-gap-between-rhetoric-and-reality/

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm deprived of apocalyptic fantasy because I figure I'm not surviving any scenario in which DC and all the gov poo poo around my house are the target of nuclear weapons. The only paranoid thing I keep in my bag of regular emergency crap is potassium iodide because I work a block from the Whitehouse and figure a dirty bomb thing has a thousandth of a percent chance of actually happening or whatever.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Craptacular posted:

A 10/22 and a .38, that's all.

Don't forget the Tactical Wheelbarrow and the de-barked chihuahuas.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

JcDent posted:

When exactly are those big Russian maneuvers happening anyways? If it's really done to hide preparations to invade us, at least I can work to get you prime footage of the new T-72B3 and being on the incoming end of exciting developments in UAV-MLRS partnership.

September, in Belarus. It's called Zapad-17.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you have a crowbar, you don't need any gun. (Source: Half-Life)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sure. And in the event of something going off they're not going to get more than a fraction of the population in there.

I lived a year in Seoul and my apartment was about 15 minutes at a jog from the nearest subway. If they've got hours of warning sure, but if it's a sudden thing there is going to be a lot of dying.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I have enough stuff to just bunker down until all the big preppers start dying off from lack of insulin.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
In a large scale chemical attack the last place you want to be is underground unless those subway stations are sealable with NBC filtration.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My plans are just cases of whisky

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

That Works posted:

My plans are just cases of whisky

In the event of a nuclear war or...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MikeCrotch posted:

In the event of a nuclear war or...

If your general life plans don't include whisky cases then I don't even want to know you exist.

Note "whisky" as opposed to "whiskey", if I'm getting sloshed it's gonna be the good poo poo.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

gently caress at least the apocalypse might murder off all the snobs with half googled shibboleths for whatever latest fad caught their eye

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

loving lol, 'just three guns'.

It does make sense. You need shotgun and rifle for different types of hunting. And the revolver makes sense as self defence, because sooner or later you will lay down your long rifle and then notice some scary critter has ended up between you and the gun.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I lived a year in Seoul and my apartment was about 15 minutes at a jog from the nearest subway.

The closest population shelter is ten minute walk from my home. I've visited it couple times with coworkers. Below is a picture. During high school I joined a thai boxing club for a short time. The training venue was in a large population shelter 20-30 meters below rock under the local phone company building.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Blistex posted:

They have a very limited number of artillery pieces that can actually hit NYC proper, and even then, only Queens.

Does this sound stupid to you?

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

loving lol, 'just three guns'.

Each of those guns is most useful for different things, so yeah. Makes a bit of sense.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Motherfucker.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To be fair most of us would really only care if they hit Brooklyn.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Astoria rules, QTIYD

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Rochester is the best part of New York. :colbert:

(I am slightly biased in this regard)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mortabis posted:

How?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As long as they don't blow up Mombar. I need that tagine in my life.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Mortabis posted:

Deep below the Pacific Ocean, noted director James Cameron pilots a custom built submersible to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. Grasped in the robotic arm is a specially designed commemorative marker, cylindrical​ in nature. Cameron deftly places the marker at the deepest part of the trench, narrating for the cameras "Now, by leaving this here, Mankind has finally set the bar as low as it can possibly go. No one could set the bar lower."

The intercom crackles to life "Sir, Mortabis has posted again. He confused New York City with New York State and likes Rochester."

Cameron screams. His adversary is unstoppable.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 15, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I live within walking distance of one of the biggest naval bases in the country. I have no nuclear survival plan because in any conceivable nuclear strike on the US I'm getting ashed.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
This is as good a time as any to repost this:
https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
State capitol, GM plants, I'm riding the plasma train to Valhalla, see y'all assholes when you get there.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I live within walking distance of one of the biggest naval bases in the country. I have no nuclear survival plan because in any conceivable nuclear strike on the US I'm getting ashed.

Similarly, I am sure enough will be thrown at the Puget Sound that I'm not too worried about surviving a nuclear exchange.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
1 .45 caliber automatic

2 boxes of ammunition

4 days concentrated emergency rations

1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills

1 miniature combination Russian phrasebook and Bible

100 dollars in rubles

100 dollars in gold

9 packs of chewing gum

1 issue of prophylactics

3 lipsticks

3 pair of nylon stockings

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

You could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

You could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff

unfortunately $200 won't get you very far in vegas anymore

though $100 in 1960 gold might be get you that weekend

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Win more at the roulette table, duh

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Sounds like a Nork test launch just failed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-missile-idUSKBN17H0NL

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Any go-bag should have your range queen AR-15 so you can feel like a boss while wiping out your neighbors as they wave at you and ask what's going on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's about 2.25 grams of gold. Don't sneeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Godholio posted:

That's about 2.25 grams of gold. Don't sneeze.

It was about 3oz of gold at 1960s prices, or about $3500 today.