Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Night10194 posted:

Have you considered invading, conquering, and eating them?

Yes, but I've also heard that my scientists, with a bit more research, can make them even tastier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Staltran posted:

That... shouldn't be possible, it has a 0x weight multiplier if you have Utopia.

I honestly have no idea, but it happened, without any derelict research:

No mods and using Utopia.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Lprsti99 posted:

It's probably this. Once you confirm the gene mod, you have to go into the situation log and start working the project, the timer you initially get is just the window of opportunity to do it.

That would be it. There is 0 indication there is another step after starting the project.

What happens when a couple pops on an arid Planet suddenly become tundra adapted?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
So I turned everyone in my empire into synthetics, but the forgot that I had a migration treaty still up with some humans. Now I have non-synths in my synth empire and unlike Cybernetic Implants I can't gene-mod them to be synthetic, and the Cybernetic Implants option is gone now. Is there anything that I can do to turn new pops into Synths?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Patrat posted:

I honestly have no idea, but it happened, without any derelict research:

No mods and using Utopia.

isn't the psi jump drive a different ftl part than the normal jump drive?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A Tartan Tory posted:

I wonder if gaia worlds you terraform yourself count as inhabitable planets for that.

I am not playing a modded version of the game, incidentally. This is purely vanilla.

Here's an ice candidate!

Four hours later...

Eeeeyup. Worlds you terraform into Gaia worlds no longer count as habitable worlds for megastructure building.

Aaaand it's gone.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 16, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Roobanguy posted:

isn't the psi jump drive a different ftl part than the normal jump drive?

Yes, he's just running jump drive not psi jump drive.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

I've heard multiple opinions that Synthetic Evolution is really disappointing, and it doesn't affect the potential AI uprising either way, thoughts? I'm tempted to switch from Materialist to Xenophobe, outlaw AI, and play as a kind of Keepers-of-Knowledge-in-training.

Synthetic Evolution has a fair amount of kinks, but it's still pretty good. I feel like it's best if you can uplift or somehow add another organic species to your empire (integrating a vassal or something) after completing the synthetic evolution. Having most of your pops get +20% to pretty much every output is quite strong in and of itself, and the energy consumption is much less than food consumption.

The reason to have an organic species is to help fill out planets faster, because building synths by hand is still seemingly excruciatingly slow, and to provide some use for any food you might still have.

Different topic: One thing that kind of annoys me is that it seems like you can't get Psi Jump Drives from salvage anymore.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Ahh, my mistake then, I figured there was just the one reality ruining jump drive.

It certainly worked to summon the Unbidden.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So the Unbidden arrived, my first crisis, and this feels like it's gonna suck real hard because I'm an all-corvette fleet and so can't snipe anchors. Do I have any options besides scrapping my stack and re-arming?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So as someone who's still very new to the game (had it for about 1.5 months). Can somebody give me a good basic rundown of the best way to approach combat outside of "the larger number wins". Because while that's usually true it's also often times not true, or you end up taking massive casualties. The game is a little confusing about what best defeats what and which defensive measures are best against what. How do you guys usually go about building your ships and fleet composition?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Patrat posted:

Ahh, my mistake then, I figured there was just the one reality ruining jump drive.

It certainly worked to summon the Unbidden.

Psi jump drive has a purple eye icon, and twice the range. RIP having psi jump as materialist :(

I wish there was a way to issue demands before a war declaration, like "destroy this outpost/cease the atrocities, fiend", and if they refuse then the war is declared.

Also I really need to be able to tell my rear end in a top hat vassals to stop slaving.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 16, 2017

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

GotLag posted:

Psi jump drive has a purple eye icon, and twice the range. RIP having psi jump as materialist :(

That would be enormously useful right now, an idiot spiritualist fallen empire just declared war on me and the 130+K strength fleet shown on one of the images above... Cannot get to them, there is an angry regular empire in the way with closed borders and as super pacifists I cannot change that. Looks like I am stuck in an eternal war situation.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

lilspooky posted:

So as someone who's still very new to the game (had it for about 1.5 months). Can somebody give me a good basic rundown of the best way to approach combat outside of "the larger number wins". Because while that's usually true it's also often times not true, or you end up taking massive casualties. The game is a little confusing about what best defeats what and which defensive measures are best against what. How do you guys usually go about building your ships and fleet composition?
The strongest general approach right now is shield defenses and plasma/kinetics. Kinetics are good general purpose weapons, and nice to start with. Plasma tears through armor, making it a great weapon for focusing firing down ships, and for killing leviathans. You can safely ignore lasers, unless you decide you really want to play with some of the lances later.

Once you unlock plasma in physics, it becomes a very good option due to its armor piercing. The 6M plasma cruiser is a staple of the midgame. Kinetic artillery are a very good long-range large-only slot weapon, and typically one will find its way on to each of my cruisers as well. A common endgame general purpose cruiser loadout for me is 3M plasma, 1L kinetic artillery, 1M flak.

Corvettes should be the staple of your fleet until cruisers. For example, this was my design at the end of the last game I won. It actually should have flak in the middle slot instead of that rank 2 plasma, but I won by domination before I was able to research it.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

The strongest general approach right now is shield defenses and plasma/kinetics. Kinetics are good general purpose weapons, and nice to start with. Plasma tears through armor, making it a great weapon for focusing firing down ships, and for killing leviathans. You can safely ignore lasers, unless you decide you really want to play with some of the lances later.

Once you unlock plasma in physics, it becomes a very good option due to its armor piercing. The 6M plasma cruiser is a staple of the midgame. Kinetic artillery are a very good long-range large-only slot weapon, and typically one will find its way on to each of my cruisers as well. A common endgame general purpose cruiser loadout for me is 3M plasma, 1L kinetic artillery, 1M flak.

Corvettes should be the staple of your fleet until cruisers. For example, this was my design at the end of the last game I won. It actually should have flak in the middle slot instead of that rank 2 plasma, but I won by domination before I was able to research it.

So you always start out with mass drivers and then focus research on shields and later on pickup plasma? You have to research some of the early lasers to unlock plasma throwers right? Also when you say corvettes are your staple until cruisers does that mean you forgo destroyers?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I generally do forgo destroyers, but they do have their place as corvette killers due to accuracy. They don't have the massive evasion corvettes have though, and typically my shields aren't that high tech by that part of the game. Cruisers are really the bigger goal.

You don't need lasers to unlock plasma at all. You can skip them entirely, if it pleases you. Lasers are necessary for some of the spinal mount beams, which are pretty cool, but I wouldn't call them necessary techs. I usually use kinetic artillery for my general purpose long-range bombardment.

Trying to do too many weapon techs in physics makes it too busy a branch of science. You already have power and shields to worry about researching there, along with your energy-based colony improvements. Plasma is the one physics weapon tech I feel is really is worth the time.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 16, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought psi jump drives weren't actually dangerous, just the normal kind?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I thought psi jump drives weren't actually dangerous, just the normal kind?

theyre both dangerous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh ok, well guess I'll have fun unleasing horrors from the warp in more ways than one then.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

This guide still seemed to work for me, though in lieu of torpedo cruisers I just stuck a bunch of medium plasma and a kinetic artillery on the mainline Cruisers. I had a bad experience with torpedo cruisers once and am somewhat wary of trying them again.

Kinetic artillery destroyers in particular definitely seem to have a place for me, as their good tracking means they don't miss very often and they're quite cheap to mass-produce.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

lilspooky posted:

One of the big things to understand is that battleships are a trap option in all but the most niche of cases, so your fleets should consist mainly of the 3 smaller types. Their XL spinal mounts have basically no tracking and low accuracy to boot so they're really only good against other battleships, and because of their AI they always sit in the back out of range so any other guns you put on them will never get used. They're theoretically useful as bombardment vessels that can leverage their range to snipe spaceports/military stations from outside the enemy's range but defenses are so weak that it's trivial to swamp them no matter what.

Because of how the cruiser AI works, cruisers usually end up leading the charge so I load mine up with shields and medium weapons mounts with a flak battery or two. The flak is insanely good PD and because the cruisers are out front they'll eat any missiles/strike craft long before they get anywhere near the rest of the fleet.

Destroyers are the main damage dealer, because their big bonuses to tracking make large mounts feasible. My destroyers are about half long range snipers with kinetic artillery, and half close in damage dealers with large mounts of whatever the weapon of the day is.

Corvettes are both chaff/tanks and torpedo boats. They can tank a lot of fire by dodging it with their high evasion, and having swarms of them makes the enemy spread their fire instead of focusing down your bigger ships. I usually give anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of my corvettes torpedoes, which absolutely murder battleships and cruisers.

WRT weapons, my current favorite mix is plasma cannons and energy torpedoes. Energy torps on corvettes/torpedo cruisers can't be intercepted and will strip enemy shields in no time, at which point the plasma mulches their armor and hull. Normal torpedoes are decent but vulnerable to PD so I tend to switch to energy torps when they show up. Missiles are still garbage, invest just enough to get torpedoes and then never look back.

The main kinetics line is kind of mediocre, but the branches are amazing. Autocannons go great on corvettes that will be getting in close anyways, flak batteries are such good PD it's basically cheating, and the kinetic artillery has the highest range and damage of anything besides battleship spinal weapons, and can be mounted on destroyers for just plain broken levels of accuracy.

Lasers start out pretty good before shields get strong, but they tend to falter in the mid/late game. Climb the tree high enough to get plasma because plasma is awesome and disruptors for energy torpedoes, then you can pretty much ignore it.

E: Goddamn it beaten by like 3 people

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 16, 2017

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

This guide still seemed to work for me, though in lieu of torpedo cruisers I just stuck a bunch of medium plasma and a kinetic artillery on the mainline Cruisers. I had a bad experience with torpedo cruisers once and am somewhat wary of trying them again.

Kinetic artillery destroyers in particular definitely seem to have a place for me, as their good tracking means they don't miss very often and they're quite cheap to mass-produce.
Looks pretty similar to stuff I've done, with the exception of the kinetic artillery destroyer. I'll have to give that one a shot.

I really want missiles to be buffed up to the point where they can compete. I love the idea of building a missile-based fleet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would think missiles would get progressively better the more you mass them, as a critical mass of them will overwhelm point defences, as well as providing cover for fighters and torpedoes.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I would think missiles would get progressively better the more you mass them, as a critical mass of them will overwhelm point defences, as well as providing cover for fighters and torpedoes.

The problem with that is that you will also increasingly waste firepower on 'overkilling' enemies, due to travel time for the missiles compared to energy or kinetic.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The main problem with missiles is that they overkill horrifically. Your entire fleet will regularly launch 2-3 full slavos at a handful of corvettes or whatever and end up just wasting 70% of them because surprise surprise just a fraction of the first salvo was enough to kill it but now all the others just turn off instead of redirecting. If missiles in flight could retarget when their current lock dies or if the AI would spread its shots better, they'd be a lot more useful, but as is they do like 1/4 the damage they should.

There's also some weird black magic going on with the math that nobody understands. Something about invisible missiles and flight times not matching the visuals and weird damage and whatever.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 16, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Patrat posted:

The problem with that is that you will also increasingly waste firepower on 'overkilling' enemies, due to travel time for the missiles compared to energy or kinetic.

Assuming you rely on the range, yes, but if you treat them like you would any other weapon and put them on cruisers or corvettes, you can use them just as well close up, the range is a bonus, not a requirement of use. You get some extra shots to open with, but they're not really standoff weapons.

If you're running all medium cruisers too you could use swarm missiles which have such high evasion they'd probably draw a lot of useless aggro from PD.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think people are too hard on Battleships, they're not bad, so long as you never use spinal mounts. Are they a better investment than cruisers, perhaps not, but you're hardly shooting yourself in the foot either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I think people are too hard on Battleships, they're not bad, so long as you never use spinal mounts. Are they a better investment than cruisers, perhaps not, but you're hardly shooting yourself in the foot either.

I find battleships also get better the more you mass them because you can use their range and spinal weaponry to wipe out the lead elements of an enemy fleet from range, take a few hits on the chin as they close, then warp out. They're weirdly one of the best ship types for raiding as they let you dictate the start of the battle.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Mayor Dave posted:

I once had a planet spawn with two betharian stone deposits, which was insane for energy generation.

:v:

Also started with a Curator next door, which I didn't know could happen.

Unfortunately, that's from a Fanatic Xenophile/Pacifist game, which is turning out to not be very fun, since whether or not I'm actually capable of doing anything diplomacy-wise turns out to be down to the luck of the draw on my neighbors. Even after managing to make nice with the various flavors of assholes that spawned near me, most of them still won't do anything that I really want them to (migration treaties, joining my Federation), and I can't go across the galaxy to find better friends because of the crippling distance penalty. The only particularly viable option to fix any of this is to start "liberating" my neighbors, which isn't really in-theme with the Star Trek vibe I was hoping for when I started the game.

I really hope the next major expansion is focused on external politics, it's an area of the game that needs some work.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ok people are talking a lot about ships and the ship meta but I have a related question. What do I do with military stations? Should I ever use them at all?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Okay so the best idea to deal with Unbidden if you can't snipe the portal early on is to wait until they've taken territory and expanded, making their fleets very far apart? Is every single one of those fleets going to be a 50k stack? This feels pretty nuts even with Defender of the Galaxy.

Also taken the note for my next game that fleet composition and ship-building actually matters in Stellaris.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 16, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Unbidden fleets are always at LEAST 50k, some of them are ~90k.

RE: Military stations - nah, they're trash. You can use them as speedbumps against warp/hyperlane empires by building them in the center of a system with FTL snares so they have to waste a month flying all the way out to the edge of the system before jumping again, but that's really it. Occasionally they get lucky and snare a transport fleet or lone corvette in my experience. But really they're so fragile that any meaningful fleet will just roll over them. I guess they're situationally useful with the support auras if you can manage to get a fleet engagement near one and not have it destroyed in the first 30 seconds somehow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are strike craft still a trap option?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I'd like to use battleships, but it seems like whenever I field them they always die first whenever I go against a major threat. And they're a very hefty expense to be replacing.

In particular, look at Fallen Empires: all of their big ships have two free XL slots. An XL slot weapon can't reliably hit anything except battleships. Remove battleships from your lineup and those are much less useful slots. Also titan lasers just one-shot anything, so I'd rather they hit something cheaper than a battleship.

I tried to use them, I really did. It just wasn't getting me good results.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 16, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Pierson posted:

Okay so the best idea to deal with Unbidden if you can't snipe the portal early on is to wait until they've taken territory and expanded, making their fleets very far apart? Is every single one of those fleets going to be a 50k stack? This feels pretty nuts even with Defender of the Galaxy.

The problem with this plan is that as the Unbidden take more territory, they build more dimensional anchors, which means they get reinforcements more often, which means they get more doomstacks, which means...well.

I actually haven't gotten to deal with an Unbidden invasion that's gotten out of control. I'm not sure how you would do that after the rework.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Pierson posted:

Also taken the note for my next game that fleet composition and ship-building actually matters in Stellaris.

Unbidden are actually one of the few threats battleships are strong against because the unbidden don't have the best range. But just go heavy anti shield weaponry + shields + Hull HP against the unbidden and you can fight off their fleets pretty easy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LordAbaddon posted:

Ok people are talking a lot about ships and the ship meta but I have a related question. What do I do with military stations? Should I ever use them at all?

Put a fortress next to your spaceport, you need concentrated firepower for them to be worth it, you'll still need a fleet but fortresses can provide useful aura effects which can make fleets in combat near them much weaker, quantum destabilizier/shield disruptor are probably the best ones as they will flat out cut enemy firepower and shield HP by a fair chunk.

Otherwise, platforms can be used as disposable speed bumps, or for trapping fleets in systems for you to engage them.

Frankly though I would suggest using a mod that buffs them, they're neat in Alphamod where fortresses can get like, 40k health with the right build, they survive long enough to really dictate the course of a battle with their auras.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I wish you had more control over what the end game crisis is. I have never had anything besides the unbidden and I really want to see the other two.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think there's a mod that removes the restriction of "one crisis per game". So you might want to try looking for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
How many hours does it usually take for a crisis to show up? I've played a couple campaigns now for what feels like forever and hadn't gotten one.

• Locked thread