Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i looked at the rules for ars magica once, it looked like a really mean-spirited parody of someone arguing the position i am now lol

that it's sincere makes it even more amazing

It's a wonderful game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lightning Lord posted:

From memory overcoming bigotry between cultures is a thing in romantic fantasy, right? Like I swear that's an element of some Tamora Pierce books. That's why this is here, right? It's hard to look into that genre btw, lot of fantasy novels with romance subplots stuff comes up.

Depends on the author and series, usually. Most have a clear "girl power!" message, but can still be pretty racially homogenous. Tamora Pierce's more recent books are a lot more diverse, and the circle of magic books do show tension between the dark-skinned traders and other groups. It just feels like there's a better way to represent racism than falling back on gypsy stereotypes. A lot of the "positives" in the book also romanticize the "lifestyle" in an awkward way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ars Magica is a game that's steeped in a lot of real world history and something I've noticed is that games with a strong historical bent generally don't ever seem to be as popular as Ye Olde Generic Fantasy Setting. But more than that, a lot of the people who enjoy playing (and exploiting the poo poo out of) casters in 3.X and derivatives would probably quite earnestly tell you that they aren't interested in a game that's all about casters and would once again quite earnestly tell you that the balance issues people keep bringing up are overblown nonsense and you can totally make an equally valuable Fighter or Barbarian or whatever. It's kind of hard for me to find the right way to articulate this point without painting with an overly broad brush but a lot of the people who happily accept that of course spellcasters should get all these game-warping abilities because it only makes sense for magic to be able to do anything while non-magical characters need grounding and limitations for [INSERT REASON HERE] are also the sort of people who passionately argue that D&D is actually well-balanced and that the whole power and narrative-agency disparity doesn't exist or at least isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and they often aren't being deliberately disingenuous about it.

Lightning Lord posted:

From memory overcoming bigotry between cultures is a thing in romantic fantasy, right? Like I swear that's an element of some Tamora Pierce books. That's why this is here, right? It's hard to look into that genre btw, lot of fantasy novels with romance subplots stuff comes up.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Depends on the author and series, usually. Most have a clear "girl power!" message, but can still be pretty racially homogenous. Tamora Pierce's more recent books are a lot more diverse, and the circle of magic books do show tension between the dark-skinned traders and other groups. It just feels like there's a better way to represent racism than falling back on gypsy stereotypes. A lot of the "positives" in the book also romanticize the "lifestyle" in an awkward way.

I did an unfinished F&F review of the first edition of Blue Rose that goes into some detail about the romantic fantasy genre and yeah, there's a lot of that in there in places, but I also noted that the Roamers were, well, Stock Fantasy Gypsies complete with rumors about their thieving, child-kidnapping ways and it was a pretty big moment of whiplash to go from "yeah, the main protagonist kingdom is about as egalitarian as it comes" to "HEY GUYS I HEARD YOU LIKE GYPSIES SO HERE YOU GO" and it's definitely one of the weaker parts of the game imo. I'm honestly disappointed that Green Ronin decided to keep them in since even if their portrayal isn't as bad as it could be it's still pretty eyeroll worthy in tyool 2017.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is a shame that for all the obsession with being a cool wizard, everyone is not playing Ars Magica. It is the only rpg I collect the physical books for, and number two on my list of amazing games to play that will probably never happen right behind Wraith the Oblivion.

See, in my experience it isn't even people who play Clerics or Druids or whatever who demand to keep Fighters in the shitter. When I first started dating my partner her RPG background was entirely martial characters in 3.5e, and she was convinced it was the best method. She never really expressed why this was the case clearly nor was she jabbing at 4e (she didn't even know I played it), but to her Proper Roleplaying Games featured spellcasters who could do whatever the gently caress they wanted and Rogues could take-20 picking locks sometimes.

That difference was just inherent to the medium for her at the time; she wasn't like, a self-hating Martial. Odds are the people she played with who did play spellcasters didn't actually abuse stuff because everyone seems to buy into a sort of Gentleman's Agreement to not actually break the game deliberately.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The usual argument I've seen is never 'gotta keep those fighters down', though. It's more "We need a simple class for new players and the fighter is that simple class" and coincidentally the people saying this are usually veterans which means they don't need a simple class for babies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its always funny to me because wizard should be the easy class. Pick package of spells that you get per level up, nuke encounters when told to do so, spend every single fight trying never ever to be hit. A fighter has to, on a basic level, make themselves an appropriate target, juggle enemy threats to the party, and balance that against which foes can optimally be hit since not every attack has the same chance of success on top of careful consideration of what weapons and armor to carry for different situations and what to specialize in.

The other part i guess is that easy in DnD doesnt mean like easy like in a fighting game with easy combos where you cant do competitive level moves but you can still do cool, complete combos without learning the inputs and instead means easy like the person who whups your rear end in a one v one match calls you easy aka "bad".

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hey Ars Magica sounds kind of like my jam. What is the good edition and what edition is easily gettable, and does it lend itself well to play from a .pdf or do you need physical books?

Also can you play it over the internet, also can you play non western style mystics. could I be from a mythical tibetan shaman lineage or something.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ars Magica fourth edition is available as a free download. Fifth has some improvements but Fourth is still a good edition.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 16, 2017

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Ferrinus posted:

There's a Wall of Ice in 4E, although it's higher level. IIRC You can actually fly as early as level 6 in 4E, but 1/day, only for five minutes, and you have to keep spending minor actions to stay aloft.

There is also the Pouch of Frozen Passage, a magic item which has literally just one single function: make bridges of ice over bodies of water.

When it comes to "freeze water into a bridge", both 3e and 4e have explicit options to do it. They also both have cold-related powers which don't explicitly do this (ie. Cone of Cold, in either edition). The only real difference, IMO, is that 3e launched with a lot of "toy" spells and then gradually tightened up its balance as best as it could. Whereas 4e launched with tight balance, and then gradually introduced more and more "toys". If you look at both lines in their matured state, they're really not miles apart anymore. (Assuming you do the smart thing and ban all of 3e's PHB classes.)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

unseenlibrarian posted:

The usual argument I've seen is never 'gotta keep those fighters down', though. It's more "We need a simple class for new players and the fighter is that simple class" and coincidentally the people saying this are usually veterans which means they don't need a simple class for babies.

There's at least two whole people in one of my gaming groups who argue--and I poo poo you not--that Fighter was made solely to be cross classed, and that it was never intended to be played fully. Like, Fighter as designed purposefully exists to be dipped in for feats or proficiencies or HP, nothing more, and it has always been this way since the start of 3.5 and they don't understand why idiots don't get that. One of them is a DM, who has also houseruled that moving into a threatened square should provoke an attack of opportunity.

They're cool guys to play anything but D&D or Pathfinder with, and I'm not real fond of those games to begin with. (Admittedly, the DM guy also has some weird ideas about Mutants & Masterminds.)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Impermanent posted:

hey Ars Magica sounds kind of like my jam. What is the good edition and what edition is easily gettable, and does it lend itself well to play from a .pdf or do you need physical books?

Also can you play it over the internet, also can you play non western style mystics. could I be from a mythical tibetan shaman lineage or something.

You can play non-western style Mages, yes. But Tibet canonically does not exist nor does anything south of the equator. The setting is the world according to an educated European/near Eastern mystic, so it operates in ways the ME perspective would understand the world as operating, and large parts of our world just do not exist, as contact between East and West was so constrained.

Also for those interested in international RPG gaming, people in Korea are receiving their copies of Night Witches:
https://twitter.com/cympub

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 16, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lunatic Sledge posted:

There's at least two whole people in one of my gaming groups who argue--and I poo poo you not--that Fighter was made solely to be cross classed, and that it was never intended to be played fully. Like, Fighter as designed purposefully exists to be dipped in for feats or proficiencies or HP, nothing more, and it has always been this way since the start of 3.5 and they don't understand why idiots don't get that. One of them is a DM, who has also houseruled that moving into a threatened square should provoke an attack of opportunity.

They're cool guys to play anything but D&D or Pathfinder with, and I'm not real fond of those games to begin with. (Admittedly, the DM guy also has some weird ideas about Mutants & Masterminds.)

I'm assuming that certain feat/class interactions that essentially make approaching to melee into suicide with this houserule is considered "rules as intended" with this jackass as well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Impermanent posted:

I have run games over the Internet, but you definitely need to an insane amount of work to maintain it. You have to track what every character does every single season, but it does lend itself to long sweeping stories of what amounts to petty wizard grudges that last generations.

As a wizard your main poo poo is sitting at home reading books and doing weird research while sending other characters off to do stuff. Wizard politics is life.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fez_machine posted:

You can play non-western style Mages, yes. But Tibet canonically does not exist nor does anything south of the equator. The setting is the world according to an educated European/near Eastern mystic, so it operates in ways the ME perspective would understand the world as operating, and large parts of our world just do not exist, as contact between East and West was so constrained.

Do they even have a Chinese magical tradition in Ars? The farthest East they go with Tribunals is Byzantium unless they added some Asia stuff recently. I've only ever seen the Middle Eastern and African stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nope, they have Mongolian Shamanism for when the juggernaut that is the Mongol Empire comes a-knocking but no Chinese magic

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Do they even have a Chinese magical tradition in Ars? The farthest East they go with Tribunals is Byzantium unless they added some Asia stuff recently. I've only ever seen the Middle Eastern and African stuff.

The game is definitely about capital "W" wizards from Europe. That being said there is a whole wizard gang that is all the non Roman wizards (there were two but...) and another faction that is all hedge wizards and the remnants of small weird magic traditions forced to join at gun point. And these are just the ones in the Order of Hermes. There are a fair amount of rules for rival magical systems for other groups as well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There are some rules for Mongols, but they are mostly for NPCs. Nothing directly Chinese.

Fun fact: your bog standard fully armored knight is terrifying because the best armor in the game can tank most early combat spells without trouble. It isn't until a wizard emerges from months of research with a spell that bypasses combat entirely that they become a true master of war.

But it's usually better to pursue wizard hobbies than do that.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/853613567739867136

(In reference to the newly released edition of Paranoia)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Flavivirus posted:

(In reference to the newly released edition of Paranoia)

This hobby has the biggest cheapskates known to man.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Agronox posted:

50 dollars for a PDF is not acceptable my man.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Agronox posted:

I feel like if one of the three headline writers of a product is calling it out as overpriced you done goofed? Not to mention that $50 for a pdf is more expensive than a lot of academic textbooks.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

50 dollars for a PDF could work... but it'd have to be a much better game than the new Paranoia.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I paid something like 120 dollars for the entire Delta Green reboot plus The Fall of Delta Green in nothing but PDFs

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

I mean, here's a second author chiming in:

https://twitter.com/JamesWallis/status/853626969942106112

(should be mentioned this is the 'Director's Commentary' annotated pdf, a $20 markup on the base game)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If these were backer exclusives they're charging a premium for, this is even more disgusting.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Apologies, I thought that was for a book!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Agronox posted:

It is, just annotated for a $20 markup.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Kwyndig posted:

If these were backer exclusives they're charging a premium for, this is even more disgusting.

Mongoose are a lovely company. Also water is wet. News at 11.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
At present, nobody is actually making any money, so yes, everything in the industry needs to cost more than it does.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Agronox posted:

I'd say that $50.00 would be a great price for a hardcover book with developer annotations. The PDF though? naaah

Rand Brittain posted:

At present, nobody is actually making any money, so yes, everything in the industry needs to cost more than it does.

The paranoia kickstarter made £217,517 out of a £30,000 goal. They're doing fine.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 16, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

50 dollars for a PDF could work... but it'd have to be a much better game than the new Paranoia.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I paid something like 120 dollars for the entire Delta Green reboot plus The Fall of Delta Green in nothing but PDFs

That's money I'd only pay on an incredibly fancy board game full of hand-crafted flair miniatures and stuff, not for something with the same page count and illustrations as a kindle ebook for one third of the price.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

The paranoia kickstarter made £217,517 out of a £30,000 goal. They're doing fine.

That's not really a great measure of anything, honestly.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Especially as they were selling a box set of books, handouts and dice for £30+EDIT:NO Shipping. It's basically certain that all ended up as a loss.

Really with any product you should work out how much you'd have to charge yo make it profitable, and if that will price it out if your market. There's a sweet spot at around $10-$20 I think: if your business model means a pdf sold at that price won't work, you should probably reassess your plans.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 16, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's a measure that there's a lot of interest in the game. But I double checked the kickstarter, and I see they didn't charge for any shipping on their game boxes, which seems like a bigger misstep than a $50.00 PDF.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a measure that there's a lot of interest in the game. But I double checked the kickstarter, and I see they didn't charge for any shipping on their game boxes, which seems like a bigger misstep than a $50.00 PDF.

Well, that's what I mean? You can see that there's interest, but if they aren't charging enough per unit, most of that money is going to go into fulfillment and they wind up having a "massively successful" Kickstarter that didn't make any money, or lost money.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Unfortunately, from reports I'm getting from a friend that bought the thing: it is a bad Paranoia game, possibly a bad game in general.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mors Rattus posted:

Unfortunately, from reports I'm getting from a friend that bought the thing: it is a bad Paranoia game, possibly a bad game in general.

Just from reading the blurbs on the KS itself anybody who understands what makes Paranoia tick could tell you it was going to be a bad Paranoia game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, that's what I mean? You can see that there's interest, but if they aren't charging enough per unit, most of that money is going to go into fulfillment and they wind up having a "massively successful" Kickstarter that didn't make any money, or lost money.

That doesn't really tell you much about pricing in the industry as a whole, though, which is what your point to start with. Paranoia's got enough of a built in fanbase that I can't see the numbers falling that dramatically if shipping had been charged to backers as part of fulfillment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

That doesn't really tell you much about pricing in the industry as a whole, though, which is what your point to start with. Paranoia's got enough of a built in fanbase that I can't see the numbers falling that dramatically if shipping had been charged to backers as part of fulfillment.

Yeah - drawing a line from 'this kickstarter was priced very badly' to 'nobody makes any money in this industry' is a bit of a stretch.

• Locked thread