Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Did you score the root ball? When plants are that pot-bound, cutting slits every inch or so down the sides of the football helps the plant make new, shorter roots out the sides, not just growing from the root tips.

I removed a lot of the root ball, honestly. since it can regrow fairly easily from cuttings, I wasn't worried about removing too much root! time will tell. I'll keep that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Our new house has a small planter box beside the (North facing) backyard stoop. I took out the sod they had in there and poured in some potting soil I wasn't using and a couple of strawberries from the fridge. I have no idea how this is going to go.

In other news, my muscadine started budding again and I'm psyked that it survived the winter. I lost a banana tree and just cut the (mostly) alive surviving one down to about 3 or so inches tall because plants? Nearly lost my mint plants to a particularly cold night the other week, but they're already coming back.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Warbird posted:

Nearly lost my mint plants to a particularly cold night the other week..

No you didn't -- that's just what the mint wants you to think.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

hello, plant goons! I wanted to share a few pictures and a few questions with you.

first off, a bit of bragging. new growth! it's gonna sprout soon, I think. Makes me really happy.

And some questions!

what the hell is this guy? I got it from a friend. All I know is it's a succulent/cactus of some kind?

gotten from the same friend, doesn't look too good. How do I perk this one up and make her look a little better?
and lastly,

I saved this one from death in a dark bathroom. Put it in the window and gave it some water, but what should I do to help this fern be less sickly?

Advice appreciated, I don't have a very green thumb but I'm doing my best.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Home Depot does a really bad job of informing you that you need to use distilled water on your Dracaena :mad:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bottom corner of my garden project.

Got 3 out of the 5 lawn borders prepared before running out of compost and bark. The gravelled over beds I took the picture from and that border to the right of the path are pure landfill, left side is fine for some odd reason. Next job will be to remove the old destroyed weed tarpaulin and the gravel from the top beds and rebuild the walls. Lastly that square thing has been prepared for my apple tree by force, with a poleaxe and then a fork. The last owner thought that putting in bits of wood into his lawn made borders and then presumably assumed the pixies would do the rest of the work in the night.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I love this. What are you planting along the stairs?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

learnincurve posted:

71 plug plants for the borders potted up (a bird got no. 72) it's a mixture of bee and butterfly friendly perennials.

learnincurve posted:

Bottom corner of my garden project.

:neckbeard: Loving the progress and all the bee/butterfly plants! This is going to look great.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm planning a low herbaceous border either side of the path. Right hand side needs some serious work doing to make it useable but it can be done. It's terrible soil but good drainage so what you do is dig out a deep and wide plant pot shaped hole and line it with something biodegradable like a wooden jumper or a thick wedge of newspaper and then fill with compost to create pockets of usable soil and then keep on feeding it with mulch until the soil in general improves. (Knowledge from my dad, googling suggests he's right)

Taller herbaceous plants along the fence. To the left out of shot there is another border running along a fence and that will be sweet rocket and wild poppies grown from seed. In the corner will be two oriental poppies, the Beauty of Livermore which grow to 1.5m high.

Same method of creating plant pots within the border for the beds at the top, I have some dwarf shrubs (mostly Azalea) coming and will plant trailing plants at the front of the border to hide the really ugly wall.

That's the theory anyway.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm usually pretty good with plants. I have a 22-year-old pothos in my bathroom that's happily trucking along, and I occasionally take cuttings when it gets too rangy and root them in water to be replanted in various other containers. These I water thoroughly when they start to droop.

The small cutting in a glazed pot in my son's room is doing fine.
The plastic pot full of rooted cuttings in a ridiculous fish cachepot on our kitchen table: happy as a clam.
The cuttings rooting in a glass of water on our east-facing kitchen windowsill: thriving.
The rooted cuttings hanging in one of those biodegradable pots in the corner of that same window: extremely unhappy.

The first time​ around, the leaves yellowed and the cuttings died, so I started over with new soil and new cuttings. This batch has green, curling leaves--but often with a healthy green leaf on the same stem. I understand the curling can be due to underwatering, so I put the hanging plant on the usual water-hard-when-dry pothos watering schedule, but it's still not thriving.

What am I doing wrong with the hanging plant? Since the cuttings in water are doing so well, can I just hang a fishbowl of water full of pothos cuttings instead?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I'm usually pretty good with plants. I have a 22-year-old pothos in my bathroom that's happily trucking along, and I occasionally take cuttings when it gets too rangy and root them in water to be replanted in various other containers. These I water thoroughly when they start to droop.

The small cutting in a glazed pot in my son's room is doing fine.
The plastic pot full of rooted cuttings in a ridiculous fish cachepot on our kitchen table: happy as a clam.
The cuttings rooting in a glass of water on our east-facing kitchen windowsill: thriving.
The rooted cuttings hanging in one of those biodegradable pots in the corner of that same window: extremely unhappy.

The first time​ around, the leaves yellowed and the cuttings died, so I started over with new soil and new cuttings. This batch has green, curling leaves--but often with a healthy green leaf on the same stem. I understand the curling can be due to underwatering, so I put the hanging plant on the usual water-hard-when-dry pothos watering schedule, but it's still not thriving.

What am I doing wrong with the hanging plant? Since the cuttings in water are doing so well, can I just hang a fishbowl of water full of pothos cuttings instead?

I recall reading somewhere that cuttings grown in water tend to do poorly when planted in soil and vice versa. I had zero issue with this myself when I was rooted/transplanted my own pothos plants, but it could be the issue.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a spider plant cutting that was rooted in water and then moved to soil. It's been a year now and the thing is still pathetic.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I get how that could be the case, but it's weird because that's how I started all of these plants, and only one is struggling. Maybe I'll put those bits back into water, get them stronger, and put together a water pot. Or one with those gel beads, though I've never used them before.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Update:

Still waiting on more bark and compost to finish off, also a wheelbarrow, but there we go six borders which were once grass and a square thing for my apple tree. I've decided to create a mini orchard in the area beyond that horrible tarmac but the trees I'm looking at won't ship till May so I'm going to investigate my local (chain) garden centre to see what they have.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
I decided to start gardening on a whim and went and bought 2 succulents from home depot. Bearing in mind I know nothing about plants,

1) What kind of succulents are these exactly?

2) I didn't see this when buying, but the root and leaves of the left one seem dried out, is the little guy gonna make it? :ohdear:

3) Should I put gravel on the top even if they're little babies?

Thanks

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pie Colony posted:

I decided to start gardening on a whim and went and bought 2 succulents from home depot. Bearing in mind I know nothing about plants,

1) What kind of succulents are these exactly?

2) I didn't see this when buying, but the root and leaves of the left one seem dried out, is the little guy gonna make it? :ohdear:

3) Should I put gravel on the top even if they're little babies?

Thanks

Left one is a zebra cactus, though it technically isn't a cactus, there only being one species of cactus from the old world and this ain't it. They keep growing from the tip and the bottom leaves will dry up and fall off over time. Give the dead leaves a slight tug. If they come off, remove them. If they don't, wait and try later. They kind of flop over once they get too tall. That's kind of how they spread: grow, flop over, layer yourself (grow new roots where you touch the ground). Also over time, it will grow offsets near the base, which can be split off to their own plants once big enough. Light is weird with that guy. Too little and the leaves will get leggy (long and sickly looking), too much and the green parts will turn a chocolate brown. Mine is 14 years old now, full of babies and flopped around its pot. It's also my only succulent in a north facing window. He's weird.

The right one looks like another Haworthia, but I'm not sure.

Gravel is your choice. For stuff that small, probably just do it one stone deep.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 5, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
More updates. I have an allotment but it's not really an allotment - it's a nursery bed for....the community garden attached to the allotments. :D This garden is enormous, and is rather run down. They have the bones, like massive arbours and arches, also tons of compost and manure. But then you find climbing roses not tied to anything, or a youngish orchard but no stakes. Also no bugger is weeding the existing borders. The chairman says "you can do anything you like". First job will be to fix one of the arbours and then I'll pick the next spot and move on. I like the part where there is a big pile for rubbish so I don't have to worry about getting rid of the mess.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bloggy post: I'm going to attempt to grow a mini version of this as they have the frame set up for it but no plants on it.

I made a start on another arch, I forgot the before picture but all of that was a foot of grass and completely overgrown - it has never been tied to that arch, or pruned. Need to go back with ladder and twine and do the prettying next.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
I can't help myself :cripes: anyone have any idea what kind of cactus this is?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Yet another plant ID request!

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Looks like the saddest-ever, wandering jew.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

robotindisguise posted:

it me :jewish: :smith:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

robotindisguise posted:

Not sad, just ambitious. It's got a long way down to wander.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Holy poo poo y'all. I just noticed someone stole my herb planter off my patio at my apartment complex. I've got a buttload of decorative plants and a slightly psychoactive cactus that is waiting to be stolen, but I have a hard time believing someone who wants fresh oregano, rosemary, or thyme for their home cooked meals would walk by and think, "hm, maybe I'll steal this doofus' herb pot." Who the hell steals herbs?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I can never wrap my head around stealing plants period. I had a potted hydrangea stolen off my apartment patio once. Just blew my mind that someone would even want it bad enough to steal it. It wasn't even that nice looking, it was a $3 clearance plant from the local hardware store that I rescued and was nurturing back to health.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Drunk youths will steal anything in the UK, traffic cones being the ever favourite classic, but a pot plant left within "WAY HAY!" "OOOOOH!" distance would last exactly one Friday night in most places.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Every spring there's a rash of plant thievery here in DC. People will walk outside in the morning to find their new cherry tree missing from their front yard. Apparently cheap, disreputable landscape companies will drive around looking for plants they can easily dig up and sell at a discount to their customers who don't know any better. I know a couple of folks who put "this area under surveillance" signs in their garden.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
We just planted this the other day and people have been pretty impressed by it thus far, and so I thought you guys might like a look at this weird looking fella:

Apparently they grow fairly large and look extremely impressive during winter

Edit: forgot to say what it is: Harry Lauder's Walking Stick

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 16, 2017

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I appreciate looking at that wack rear end-plant! Thank you for sharing it. I like the wiggles and the fact that its branches look like some sort of bargain bin unicorn horn knock off.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Glad you like it! Apparently it will take some serious pruning to encourage the best branches and maintain proper twistiness, but I think it'll be worth it

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I cut back one of my failing banana trees in the hope that it would help it "reset" and shake whatever was killing it. It's done fuckall in a month or so. I assume it's time to call it quits? If so, should I do something with the soil in that pot or am I good to toss something else in?

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

Warbird posted:

I cut back one of my failing banana trees in the hope that it would help it "reset" and shake whatever was killing it. It's done fuckall in a month or so. I assume it's time to call it quits? If so, should I do something with the soil in that pot or am I good to toss something else in?

Bananas make root systems that can get it through seriously rough times. Depending on your climate and 25 other factors it cold still be dormant from winter. I have several dwarf red cavendish bananas that all come back every year, but one of them always takes a month or two longer than the rest. It's pups come back before it which makes no sense to me.

If you want to reuse soil, dig up the old root ball and give it a good inspection. You should hopefully learn why your plant did poorly. If it's covered in pests you may want to start fresh. Rotten smell means anaerobic bacteria which implies you need better drainage/less water. Dried out and brittle roots might mean not enough water or your pot was heating up or your soil mix did a bad job of holding water.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A question about fertilizers. I have an Areca Palm, and Spider Plants. Is it okay to use an "all purpose" indoor plant fertilizer at the store on these two plants, or is there a better fertilizer that I should be using?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 18, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I used all purpose on the mostly dead, tiny spider plant I rescued from a hardware shop. The fucker has grown to monstrous size and taken over the house, producing so many spider babies that I keep bringing them to work because I don't know what to do with them all and they keep stealthily growing into other nearby plant pots and rooting. At this rate I'm going to end up working in a spider den.

So yes, your spider plant will probably be fine.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

melon cat posted:

A question about fertilizers. I have an Areca Palm, and Spider Plants. Is it okay to use an "all purpose" indoor plant fertilizer at the store on these two plants, or is there a better fertilizer that I should be using?

Indoor all-purpose is fine for both. Both plants are pretty hardy, so unless you want to constantly prune I'd do a half or quarter dose of fertilizer. Low and slow is a good rule until you're comfortable with whatever chemicals you're using.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know people like their succulents itt.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:kimchi:

I was wondering what was wrong with it, lmao

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I know people like their succulents itt.

God, maybe it's just my babby succulents, but I can't imagine all these plants fitting in the same basket for long. I had a tiny crassula var that's just spilling out the pot like a jerk. At least it's thriving. Maybe those are simply slow growing, due to the plant or the lousy british weather :v: Though they do look very nice together, with a glacous theme going on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hanging baskets are usually temporary in the UK, you have them outside from after the last frosts (usually may) and then bring them in and deconstruct into pots until the next year when the weather turns. Brits have a weird thing for hanging baskets and I've never been sure why, unless it's because people like the part where they can create pretty things without having to deal with chuffing dandelions, in which case I totally get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did I post the mini orchard? I don't think I posted the mini orchard.

First of all, I know the stakes are too tall. :) I'm cutting them a lot shorter when the roots have grown a bit and removing them completely in a year.

Four apple trees, on M106 rootstock and will grow 3-4m tall and wide, planted 4m from each other and 2m from the fence.