Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

bakersfield chimp posted:

There's an Electric Six riff in the third episode, season owns

Not empty quoting. That loving slayed me. The only way that could have been better is that when the circuits caught on fire would have been to add "Don't you wanna know how we keep starting fires?"

Only through ep 3, but this owns. Bring on season 12 already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Arist posted:

I generally agree with the complaint that the riffs feel a little fast and furious but I'm having a good time with this.

They got enough other things right that the pacing issues didn't wind up bothering me.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I keep hearing Axhome as rear end in a top hat while watching Wizards of the Lost Kingdom.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Random Stranger posted:

There's nothing like suddenly realizing that you've watched a film that they're riffing. That furry in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was definitely memorable.

I was convinced that was Richard Kiel, because it kept making Eegah sounds.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I was convinced that was Richard Kiel, because it kept making Eegah sounds.

Shtemlo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

JUST GIVE US THE KEYS YOU STUPID MAN

Also was happy to see Mary Jo, Kevin, and Bill. It's good to see the old cast hand off the ball like that, even if Mike would rather eat broken glass than be involved in it
4/15/17, 9:21 PM

He seems amenable to it, even if he's not interested in appearing. He's been a big part of the promotion of the kickstarter and series.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 15, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EricFate posted:

They got enough other things right that the pacing issues didn't wind up bothering me.

Yeah, same here. I'd like a bit less franticism and for them to just pause to laugh a little more, but they just got so much right.

So far Yongary is just about one woman getting repeatedly cock-blocked. It's given them a lot of fodder for riffing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jack Gladney posted:

He seems amenable to it, even if he's not interested in appearing. He's been a big part of the promotion of the kickstarter and series.

Oh cool. I remember there being bitterness over the royalties to the old series, but I also know Frank said they'd make sure to cut in old alums this time.

I'd like to see Mike on the show, I just don't know how poisoned the well is between him and Joel. I'm probably making poo poo up, but they still seemed tense during the reunion show.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh cool. I remember there being bitterness over the royalties to the old series, but I also know Frank said they'd make sure to cut in old alums this time.

I'd like to see Mike on the show, I just don't know how poisoned the well is between him and Joel. I'm probably making poo poo up, but they still seemed tense during the reunion show.

Yeah, they sell old eps on Rifftrax.com, and Rifftrax did the MST3k reunion show last summer, so I imagine any hatchets are buried.

EDIT: At least financial hatchets.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It always seems like Mallon was the fellow that the cast had the most anger towards.

If this keeps running I'm sure that Mike will eventually get over it and make his cameo same way that Tom Baker eventually did for Doctor Who.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Clouseau posted:

It always seems like Mallon was the fellow that the cast had the most anger towards.

If this keeps running I'm sure that Mike will eventually get over it and make his cameo same way that Tom Baker eventually did for Doctor Who.

Yeah, Mallon is conspicuously absent from any promotion or discussion on the new show. Nothing happened with the show until Shout! pried the rights away from him.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They should have Mike cameo as Torgo.

edit: Also, they need to do Roar next season.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 16, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

They're friends as far as I know. The reason nobody was getting fair royalties was because of Jim Mallon, who also squeezed Joel out of the show over handling the movie. The entire reason there is a new season at all is because Joel and Shout Factory worked to get a greater share of the show, and a big part of that was making sure everyone grit the right proportion of royalties. Everyone from the show probably likes Joel a lot for that, and Mike has participated in DVD extras for the Shout stuff.

Frank and Trace seem salty about not being involved, but who knows what that's about?

Jim Mallon cashed out his stake in the show and quit tv entirely to become a grief counselor after enduring the sudden death of his daughter. He seems like a new man now.

It's possible Mike would rather not dilute his own brand by appearing, either as Mike or another cameo character, but it's equally possible he was just busy.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

Frank and Trace seem salty about not being involved, but who knows what that's about?

I know they were going to be on the new season, but scheduling problems kept them from doing it. I know they talk poo poo on Twitter, but it's usually followed by "Come on guys, I'm a comedian, I make jokes."

J. Elvis Weinstein also talks tons of poo poo, but his involvement was so long ago, I imagine he doesn't have much to be salty about.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

JUST GIVE US THE KEYS YOU STUPID MAN

Also was happy to see Mary Jo, Kevin, and Bill. It's good to see the old cast hand off the ball like that, even if Mike would rather eat broken glass than be involved in it :v:

I am 95% sure Mike contractually cannot take part, but presumably an exception will be made the next time he renews his contract for Rifftrax and he'll make the friendly guest appearance after that.

Chokes McGee posted:

While there's definitely a split among the MST3k alums along the lines of "those who were there in the UHF days" and "those who came on board afterward", I don't think it's a hostile one. It's just who is good buddies with who. The only person all of the old MST3k people hate is Jim Mallon.

Egbert Souse posted:

They should have Mike cameo as Torgo.

I want Mike to appear as Mike with another Crow and Tom who sound like Bill and Kevin and the old and new crew meeting just confuses the hell out of everybody.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I am 95% sure Mike contractually cannot take part, but presumably an exception will be made the next time he renews his contract for Rifftrax and he'll make the friendly guest appearance after that.

Wait...doesn't Mike own Rifftrax? I thought it was his company. Surely it's his call.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
gently caress, Cry Wilderness is great

"I wanna feel the breath you take before you kill, Dad!"

and singing Tricky holy gently caress

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The Mads are Back website FAQ, for Trace Beaulieu and Frank Connif's riffing tour, makes it sound like there was some initial confusion about MST3K royalties with Shout Factory but everyone involved seems very happy with it at this point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Mike, Bill and Kevin own Rifftrax. I doubt he has a restrictive contract, although there is one other owner so I guess it's possible that guy forced one on them. Bill and Kevin appear in Cry Wilderness though, so it doesn't make a ton of sense that Mike wouldn't be able to.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Wizards of the Lost Kingdoms is goofy as hell and knows it, and the riffing is great.

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 is boring as hell and lazy and the riffing can't save it.

I feel like it's an odd distinction to make cause they're both "bad" but eh.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"I'm good at space."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mangler103 posted:

Wait...doesn't Mike own Rifftrax? I thought it was his company. Surely it's his call.

He does, but I thought he had contracts with other people for things like distribution and part of that can be a non-compete clause where appearing on a directly competitive program (even if all the smart and handsome people watch both) is forbidden. Maybe it's not the case, but either way I'm dubious that Mike is really against the reboot.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

He does, but I thought he had contracts with other people for things like distribution and part of that can be a non-compete clause where appearing on a directly competitive program (even if all the smart and handsome people watch both) is forbidden. Maybe it's not the case, but either way I'm dubious that Mike is really against the reboot.

Yeah, I don't see it. It can only be good for Rifftrax and what they do, having higher visibility for riffing and MST3k.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Random Stranger posted:

Non compete clauses are illegal in California. Even if he's against it, we've seen he's willing to use it to promote Rifftrax.

duz fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 16, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Random Stranger posted:

I want Mike to appear as Mike with another Crow and Tom who sound like Bill and Kevin and the old and new crew meeting just confuses the hell out of everybody.

Throw in a third crow voiced by Trace and I'll send money to any kickstarter you want.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mangler103 posted:

Yeah, they sell old eps on Rifftrax.com, and Rifftrax did the MST3k reunion show last summer, so I imagine any hatchets are buried.

EDIT: At least financial hatchets.

It doesn't seem like there's a Bill Murray and Harold Ramis situation everywhere. I'd love an episode where they got Mike, Joel and Jonah to sit together in the theater until the next host segment, or a "bring your father to work day" on Moon 13.

I'd just be happy with another season, though. Those guys all have their own projects, and I get that this is their business. It's possible Joel is unable or unwilling to pay them what they'd ask for an appearance or that the frantic filming schedule didn't work with their calendars.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Honestly I'm guessing Mike is just too busy running his own poo poo. They filmed the whole season over like 2 weeks. If your schedule wasn't free then, you weren't in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing I like from a conception sense is that the show feels closer to the Joel era, not necessarily just because Joel's behind the revival, but because if you prefer the Mike-era to the exclusion of anything else... well, you've never really lost that, what with the Film Crew and Rifftrax, so just load up Amazon Prime or your Rifftrax account and boom, you can watch that kind of riffing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

Honestly I'm guessing Mike is just too busy running his own poo poo. They filmed the whole season over like 2 weeks. If your schedule wasn't free then, you weren't in.

Right, exactly.

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom just got me with You bent my wookie!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

OK, Starcrash, what the gently caress just happened?

I mean I watched it but I don't know if I can tell you a thing about it other than it reminded me of Ice Pirates for some reason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I think is pretty interesting is that they also make jokes that reference Rifftrax stuff. Like in Cry Wilderness they do a joke about Megaforce.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Am currently watching.
Goddamn am I sick and tired of Patton Oswalt
I like the new Tom Servo. He sounds very much like Kevin Murphy
I don't mean this as a disparaging comment to the new season, but I really wish the old MST3k would've done Reptilicus because they probably would've done it a bit better maybe?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh man so THAT'S where that famous internet gif comes from!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Am currently watching.
Goddamn am I sick and tired of Patton Oswalt
I like the new Tom Servo. He sounds very much like Kevin Murphy
I don't mean this as a disparaging comment to the new season, but I really wish the old MST3k would've done Reptilicus because they probably would've done it a bit better maybe?

Um....maybe my ears just don''t work but what? He sounds literally absolutely nothing like Kevin.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Um....maybe my ears just don''t work but what? He sounds literally absolutely nothing like Kevin.

It's the inflection. It's been a while since I've seen mst3k or rifftrax though

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Toughs so far.

Reptilicus: Ehh, movie itself was kind of boring. I think the problem is most of these giant monster movies are pretty similar and boring. Come for the giant monster loving poo poo up, maybe fight another monster. Stay for the human characters you could give a rats rear end about and watch the director play with his GI Joes.

Cry Wilderness: HOLY poo poo! This thing deserves to be in the MST3K hall of fame. It's just baffling bad. I also feel like it's a squeal to another movie judging from that opening.

Time Travelers: This one was ok. Not much else to say about it honestly.

As for the SOL Crew themselves, their doing an amazing job all around. I like Day and Oswald, Jonah is good, the bots are good. But I do see now why people think Tom and Jonah sound alike.

Im on Avalanche now. Oh boy, a Roger Corman movie! That can be pretty good or "OH GOD WHY!?"

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Calaveron posted:

It's the inflection. It's been a while since I've seen mst3k or rifftrax though

tbh I think he sounds more like Weinstein Servo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

No, you're right. He sounds nothing like Kevin.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

tbh I think he sounds more like Weinstein Servo.

He doesn't sound like that schlub either. Also, he actually has timing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Beast of Hollow Mountain has my favorite skit of the season so far.
The completely unexplained strange costumed/dancing Crow and Servo
Also whoever does the Elvis Costello voice makes me chuckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Goddamn was that song in episode 1 fantastic and catchy as all hell
Also the skeleton crew was playing classical MST3k songs during the "commercial breaks" while Patton Oswald's awful pig voice did its best to drown them out! I thought that was a neat detail.