Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah its hilarious to waste peoples time who are fully supportive of Kodi being fed up with the stupid pirate boxes and who've made multiple donations to the Kodi over the years. Hilarious I say.

Didn't say it was a wise move, just that since it's obviously what they intended to do it's worked out exactly as they planned. I've donated to Kodi multiple times myself. Also I can put up with a deliberate outage without getting salty over it.

Considering that the userbase is composed of far more people who never donate a thing and dash off angry missives at the merest perceived slight, plus the number of idiots who buy pirate boxes then continue to over-run their forums and Twitter accounts despite every effort to stop them....I'm surprised they haven't pulled this before, frankly. Donations or not no one on the team there is making any money off the efforts they put in to this project. They have got to be at their wit's end by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don't get me wrong, it's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect them to do. That doesn't mean it's not pants on head stupid.

Also I said "the Kodi" like I'm an old person.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Plex should seize the moment and run a special on PlexPass today.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not exactly the endorsement I would expect from someone with red text such as yours.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yes, my title is hilarious

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Plex should seize the moment and run a special on PlexPass today.

Lots of long time Kodi users like me using Plex already with Kodi. It's more of an enhancement, not a replacement.

I like their server management and remote streaming a lot, and they have good mobile clients. Kodi is better for local playback.

(when you can download it that is :rimshot: )

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Too many hiccups and issues with plex and that other xemby or whatever its called. It's awesome when it works but it seemed like every time I had people over for a movie night, it would have embarrassing BS problems like requiring a server update and restart before streaming. It's definitely a hobby level setup and not "mission critical" like a professional level theater would be.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Too many hiccups and issues with plex and that other xemby or whatever its called. It's awesome when it works but it seemed like every time I had people over for a movie night, it would have embarrassing BS problems like requiring a server update and restart before streaming. It's definitely a hobby level setup and not "mission critical" like a professional level theater would be.

Your poo poo is hosed is the problem. Mine is up 24x7 and on occasion remotely streams to 2-4 family and friends at a time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

That takes all of a minute to run. Most of my friends think a great setup is running an HDMI cable from their macbook to a TV, I'm not embarrassed if something goes wrong for a brief time. They're sitting around in leather seats in my home theater room with beer, they don't give a poo poo :)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

jonathan posted:

You just know there's something completely moronic in this setup if even Plex has "issues."

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

My plex docker updates at 6am. I have zero issues with downtime or buffering.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

You just know there's something completely moronic in this setup if even Plex has "issues."

Lots of novice users miss that software can only do so much. Setting up a true 24x7 lights-out environment, like one used in a "professional level theater" as the OP put it, takes planning. Plex or anything else isn't going to magically compensate for whatever else you have running it that is hosed.

The irony is it really isn't hard to do correctly - neither expensive, nor requires a lot of technical experience and knowledge. Mostly it just requires a little patience and research. There's a metric fuckton of people out there running Plex (or Emby) with various clients including Kodi and if you take the time to read, learn to ignore the shitposts, and narrow down what really works best you'll find plenty of stored knowledge to stand on top of and do you own thing.

Don't need a lot of time either. One weekend to do research and another to put everything together and done. You now have an internal media server that requires very little maintenance (most of which can be automated) and "just works" when you need it. I should know, I have one:

Plex Server running on FreeNAS box I built myself (following recommendations and instructions so I didn't end up with some piece of poo poo put together with tape and glue). I paid less for this than any Synology, QNas, Drobo, whatever, and it does much more.

Kodi clients running on Shields. PlexForKodi addon to handle the library.

Mobile clients on iOS and Android for myself and various friends and family.

Remote clients (Roku's and Apple TVs - the Shield is beyond some no matter how hard I try) for when my relations want to stream something on their TV at home.

I rip all my BD's using MakeMKV. I stuffed my FreeNAS box with enough space so that I don't worry or care about compressing them either. Plex transcodes on the fly when it needs to.

It all works, all the time. I just checked PlexPy and I have 2 people streaming right now. This isn't rocket science. And a shitload easier than it used to be, believe me. I've been loving around with HTPCs for over 15 years now. Doing this, vs. say lending out my BD/DVDs like I used to in years past is (ethically, at least) no different and a lot simpler.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TheScott2K posted:

lol you're so precious.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheScott2K posted:

Nah it's an i3 NUC as a Plex server on a gigabit network with some Nexus players feeding a receiver that goes to a projector.

I used to point Kodi directly to my NAS and it was bulletproof which is what I switched back to.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I've got an issue with Kodi and Emby where my Emby "collections" are no longer translating to "sets" inside Kodi, but also manually adding a movie to a set in Kodi only makes the change locally, not in any other instances of Kodi in the house. Do I have a setting set wrong somewhere?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've got an issue with Kodi and Emby where my Emby "collections" are no longer translating to "sets" inside Kodi, but also manually adding a movie to a set in Kodi only makes the change locally, not in any other instances of Kodi in the house. Do I have a setting set wrong somewhere?

I assume you are using the Emby addon inside Kodi. Have you checked to see it's up to date (or, was it recently updated because maybe it broke). I recall there being a setting for collections there.

The Emby addon basically adds/modifies the local Kodi db to reflect what is in Emby. As far as Kodi proper knows it is just using the local db like normal. Every interaction happens through the addon. So it's either there, or on the server. Have you checked their forums? They are usually pretty good about helping especially if you post relevant logs from syncs, etc.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you sure you have the option on to group sets in the settings? That should be on by default, but I know you can set Kodi to ignore it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

IUG posted:

Are you sure you have the option on to group sets in the settings? That should be on by default, but I know you can set Kodi to ignore it.

I do. I forgot that Emby server is utter poo poo at updating itself, so I was a few major versions behind, and there was (maybe still is?) a bug with collection updates not getting passed to the fast-update plugin when Kodi starts.

edit: still not fixed. Just going to turn off fast startup sync.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 3, 2017

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah its hilarious to waste peoples time who are fully supportive of Kodi being fed up with the stupid pirate boxes and who've made multiple donations to the Kodi over the years. Hilarious I say.

It's best to just assume that everything on the internet will be hosed up on April Fool's Day.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

InfiniteZero posted:

It's best to just assume that everything on the internet will be hosed up on April Fool's Day.

This is true.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Are there any really compelling reasons for me to upgrade to Krypton from Jarvis, considering KODI currently does everything I want without issue?

I don't care about the live TV stuff, which appears to be one of the big changes. I also don't need the new default skin because I have Arctic Zephyr From Ashes running and it's perfect as far as I'm concerned. I understand that I will probably eventually have to update, but I haven't noticed anything really exciting in the new features or changelog.

If it matters, I'm running LibreElec on an old Revo. I was about to upgrade from the Revo but switching to LibreElec was like giving the thing a second life.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Do you have a reason not to upgrade? If you're using LibreELEC it's pretty much trivial. There's a backup feature in the LibreELEC settings that will save everything other than the media itself so even if things go horribly wrong you could just reinstall the old version and restore the backup.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Uggh just upgraded Kodi from probably 15 to 17 and now the default skin seems to be loving touch oriented I guess. Can anyone recommend a decent skin that's good for a television and used with a mouse?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Less Fat Luke posted:

Uggh just upgraded Kodi from probably 15 to 17 and now the default skin seems to be loving touch oriented I guess. Can anyone recommend a decent skin that's good for a television and used with a mouse?

Give it a shot for a week or two, it grew on me. I really like the new default skin now.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

fletcher posted:

Give it a shot for a week or two, it grew on me. I really like the new default skin now.
It's not about the look, it's about parts of the interface now being unscrollable using a mouse. Like there's now a cool new TV section that shows series with unplayed shows - this screen though seems to require vertical and horizontal scrolling in the right frame which doesn't actually work using a mouse (even with the scroll wheel). It seems like a really weird oversight.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's not about the look, it's about parts of the interface now being unscrollable using a mouse. Like there's now a cool new TV section that shows series with unplayed shows - this screen though seems to require vertical and horizontal scrolling in the right frame which doesn't actually work using a mouse (even with the scroll wheel). It seems like a really weird oversight.

Did you try holding down the mouse button on the section and pulling what you want to scroll? (i haven't used the new kodi on pc but i'd guess that's how it works)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did you try holding down the mouse button on the section and pulling what you want to scroll? (i haven't used the new kodi on pc but i'd guess that's how it works)
Yep :( Ah well I'll try some skins later.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Just use Confluence like every sane person out there.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Puddin posted:

Just use Confluence like every sane person out there.
Ahhh perfect thanks, for some reason I thought that was the newer version of Confluence. Much better now :)

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

My old fav Kodi skin was Maximinimalism, but with it being depreciated, I'm rather fond of Pellucid now. I haven't bothered to check to see if it has mouse support though.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's meant for using a remote control and moving left and right. The new interface is actually ace for TV and far better than Confluence was. Confluence felt like a computer application. Estuary feels like a TV centric UI.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

YouTuber posted:

It's meant for using a remote control and moving left and right. The new interface is actually ace for TV and far better than Confluence was. Confluence felt like a computer application. Estuary feels like a TV centric UI.
I guess it's advantages are lost on me as I don't have a remote.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I use it on tv with a remote exclusively and went back to confluence after a couple of weeks persisting. But I also hate every netflix interface I've seen so I'm generally against the grain I think.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there a skin that's best for phones?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So I took a pretty long break from gaming (hooray grad school!) and I'm looking at setting up a nice home theater setup.

I was thinking of grabbing an Xbox One to be my BluRay player / Netflix box, and ripping my dvd library to a Kodi box.

Should I bother building my own, or just buy a pre-made chassis and a USB RAID?

(I was thinking of snagging some traditional mechanical HDs on NewEgg and making a big archive of old shows/movies that aren't on Netflix/Prime.)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

maskenfreiheit posted:

So I took a pretty long break from gaming (hooray grad school!) and I'm looking at setting up a nice home theater setup.

I was thinking of grabbing an Xbox One to be my BluRay player / Netflix box, and ripping my dvd library to a Kodi box.

Should I bother building my own, or just buy a pre-made chassis and a USB RAID?

(I was thinking of snagging some traditional mechanical HDs on NewEgg and making a big archive of old shows/movies that aren't on Netflix/Prime.)

Build a NAS and use Plex or Emby on the Xbone and then you can use the app to stream wherever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not super obvious after reading the OP, but I would like to see about replacing Plex. Basically, I just want to instead install plex, and stream it to something like my chromecast to have it display the videos on the TV.

Do I really have to get a kodi box or set up some raspberry pi device to do this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not super obvious after reading the OP, but I would like to see about replacing Plex. Basically, I just want to instead install plex, and stream it to something like my chromecast to have it display the videos on the TV.

Do I really have to get a kodi box or set up some raspberry pi device to do this?

I don't understand what Kodi has to do with Plex in this scenario?

You just install Plex wherever and use a chromecast.

Is the "install Plex wherever" the part that has you confused? Plex doesn't have anything to do with Kodi. You just install Plex on a computer and use it...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I think he meant "instead install Kodi", since he said he wants to replace Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Oh that might be.