Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Kill olds, wear their skins as a disguise, and infiltrate the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ah yes, the best policy to help seniors living in poverty: free weekday ferry rides.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-legal-marijuana-growing-landlords-1.4071323

Landlord Group wants laws against people growing in rental units.

quote:

A national landlord group says the federal government should change its proposed marijuana legalization bill to ban people from growing plants in rented homes or multi-unit buildings.

Under the Cannabis Act, which was introduced in the House of Commons this week, people over the age of 18 would be able to grow as many as four marijuana plants in their homes, as long as the plants aren't taller than 100 centimetres.

Liberals table bills to legalize pot, clamp down on impaired driving
Pot legalization bill provides many answers, but leaves some key issues in limbo

The Canadian Federation of Apartment Associations, which represents landlords that manage rental units across the country, said that allowance goes too far.

"Fundamentally we want marijuana growing to still be prohibited in rental units and in multiple-dwelling units, [which] include condos [and] co-operatives," federation president John Dickie told CBC News.

"Because, from that point of view, there are impacts on the neighbours."
Health, safety concerns

Dickie said people should only be able to grow marijuana in single-family homes that they own since, that way, their actions only really affect them.

He contrasted that with rented homes and multi-unit buildings, where landlords and other tenants' health and personal enjoyment could be at risk from some of the issues that might arise from growing marijuana, which include:

Mould problems caused by the humidity required to grow marijuana, which could erode drywall and window seals.
An overtaxed electrical system due to the grow lamps needed to keep marijuana plants alive during the winter.
Increased fire hazards due to people drying marijuana in a household stove.
Odours from plants getting into other people's units.

"I think the government is obviously balancing a lot of issues here," Dickie said.

"They do want to break the black market, and that's important. But we think we can break the black market if they let people [only] grow it in their own owner-occupied homes, and the product is readily available in stores or by mail order."

I understand his concerns, yet the only thing I can hear behind all of that, is that only if you're wealthy enough to own your own home can you grow cannabis.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

leftist heap posted:

Ah yes, the best policy to help seniors living in poverty: free weekday ferry rides.

I wish everyone posting about ferries would climb on to one and let a drunk captain drive it into the terminal.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Syfe posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-legal-marijuana-growing-landlords-1.4071323

I understand his concerns, yet the only thing I can hear behind all of that, is that only if you're wealthy enough to own your own home can you grow cannabis.

If landlords want to do this couldn't they just put it in the terms of the lease agreements?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are hydroponics usually banned? I didn't get the drying part. People dry vegetables in a low oven, or fruit, or meat, and goddamn can cooking smells move around an apartment building.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Office Sheep posted:

If landlords want to do this couldn't they just put it in the terms of the lease agreements?

"Don't cause mold damage, stink like a hockey bag full of dead skunks or burn the bastard down" isn't already part of that agreement?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Are hydroponics usually banned? I didn't get the drying part. People dry vegetables in a low oven, or fruit, or meat, and goddamn can cooking smells move around an apartment building.

Curing marijuana has some pretty strong smells associated with it (not that it's correct to discriminate against people who are renting).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I dunno how do you find out if your rental dalits are growing weed in your house?????

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Being a landlord is so hard I can't even

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Syfe posted:

Will the federal liberals gently caress over the poor? tune in to the next sentance to find out.

Yes.

I would imagine most people don't want to grow their own plants, the only thing that would encourage it is greedy governments with insane sin taxes like alcohol. It should be taxed enough to cover the cost of addiction services, but ultimately, once the market has matured why would the base product cost more than lettuce?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

There will probably be a new wave of people fighting their oppressive strata councils as stratas will get into banning people from planting marijuana on their deck and banning marijuana smoking.

Looks like I wasn't the only one that was reminded of the last Harper platform while reading the BC Liberal platform.

quote:

Clark’s uninspiring battle plan reminiscent of Harper’s

Heading into the 2015 federal election, Stephen Harper’s Conservatives felt they had a solid record on which to run.

While Mr. Harper’s personal governing style left a lot to be desired, the Conservatives believed that their résumé, certainly as it pertained to growing the economy and managing the treasury, was an attractive one. The country was viewed enviably by nations around the world. Why would voters want to mess with success, to turn things over to a centre-left party that would rack up ruinous debt and destroy all the hard work that went into making Canada the wondrous country it had become under the Tories?

And that, effectively, was the Conservatives’ campaign message: Vote for Stephen Harper! Vote for the status quo! Well, as we now know, as strategies go it was a horribly failed one.

Which brings us to the B.C. election now under way. What is curious about this one is that Christy Clark’s Liberals have adopted a re-election battle plan that looks oddly similar to the disastrous one that the federal Conservatives employed.

Instead of a new vision, some dynamic second act on which to sell voters, Ms. Clark and her party have chosen a more staid, safe approach: If you liked the past four years, we’ll give you four more of the same. As slogans go, it’s not exactly catchy. Worse for the Liberals, it looks tired and intellectually vacant up against the populist platform released by the New Democratic Party on Thursday.

In the early going, it has been the New Democrats, not the Liberals or the Green Party, who have crafted the terms of this election, who have begun framing the ballot-box question. NDP Leader John Horgan has painted the Liberals as the party of the rich, as the party for those in society already well taken care of, compared to his, which will look out for the vast swaths of the middle and lower class that are struggling to survive, that are living paycheque to paycheque.

And this group includes millennials, an often forgotten generation that has had one of the worst hands dealt to it of any generation in recent memory. The Liberals may not care about these kids because history shows young people don’t vote. That may be the case. But that may also change. And the parents of these young people do vote and likely appreciate any effort by a prospective government to unburden their children of their many encumbrances.

And this is why the NDP’s promise to eliminate interest on student loans is potentially an attractive vote-getter.

While the Liberals and the Greens will try and poke holes in the NDP’s fiscal plan – and indeed, there are legitimate questions that need to be answered – over all, the New Democrats do seem to have constructed a balanced-budget platform that stands up to scrutiny. And the party’s pledges around housing, $10-a-day daycare, eliminating bridge tolls and medical services plan premiums, among other assurances, make the Liberals’ campaign manifesto look joyless, safe and uninteresting by comparison.

In fact, it makes it look a lot like the one on which Stephen Harper’s Conservatives campaigned a couple of years ago.

Now, that said, John Horgan is not Justin Trudeau. And Mr. Trudeau’s charisma played a part in the outcome of the last federal election as well. And while Mr. Trudeau had a crumbling federal NDP to help him, Mr. Horgan has to deal with a surging Green Party. In other words, there is a lot that the New Democrats have to overcome to take power in British Columbia again.

But the B.C. Liberals have given the NDP the best chance it has had in some time to do just that. Eventually, the Liberals’ old saw of saying the NDP will take the province back to the horrible nineties will fail to work with voters. Eventually the public will decide that it is time for a change, that it’s a “risk” worth taking because the party in power has begun showing signs of an institution corrupted by too many years in office.

Given the opulent, obscene fundraising buffet on which the B.C. Liberals have engorged themselves – a sight as ugly and distasteful as there has been in B.C. politics in a long time – it has never been easier for the NDP to frame an election around class and class struggle.

This will be the biggest challenge for Christy Clark to overcome. And it’s a hurdle made more difficult by the fact she is running on a promise to keep things exactly the way they are.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

There will probably be a new wave of people fighting their oppressive strata councils as stratas will get into banning people from planting marijuana on their deck and banning marijuana smoking.

Looks like I wasn't the only one that was reminded of the last Harper platform while reading the BC Liberal platform.

She's no Louis St. Laurent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste faggots posted:

I dunno how do you find out if your rental dalits are growing weed in your house?????

Can you imagine the nerve of these people??? I mean, growing a small plant in MY equity? It's unconscionable, I tell you!

What's next? These people could grow a potted tomato plant on the balcony or something, and then where would we loving be???

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Powershift posted:

Will the federal liberals gently caress over the poor? tune in to the next sentance to find out.

Yes.

I would imagine most people don't want to grow their own plants, the only thing that would encourage it is greedy governments with insane sin taxes like alcohol. It should be taxed enough to cover the cost of addiction services, but ultimately, once the market has matured why would the base product cost more than lettuce?

Marijuana should definitely have a big sin tax on it, that to me is a big point towards getting it legalized in the first place

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

vyelkin posted:

She's no Louis St. Laurent.

The ideological similarities are there yeah, but the similarity that jumped out at me was more how both platforms don't offer much new of substance, and the parties using them are running the campaign tactic of lazily running on their record.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Marijuana should definitely have a big sin tax on it, that to me is a big point towards getting it legalized in the first place

It should have a sin tax on it, but if it's made more expensive than the illegal supply, the illegal supply will continue. If it's more expensive than alcohol, most people will continue to drink which seems to be far more harmful.

If the alcoholics i know would become potheads instead, the world would a better place.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
ah yes, the what if the next fentanyl rescue got his life together and became the next albert einstein

what if

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

ah yes, the what if the next fentanyl rescue got his life together and became the next albert einstein

what if

What if namaste faggots spent his time journeying the countryside teaching the youth to grill steak instead of shitposting

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

If the alcoholics i know would become potheads instead, the world would a better place.

I've seen people try to do this, it usually results in the person becoming an alcoholic pothead.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ah yes the monthly "I have no clue what I am talking about when it comes to addiction" derail.

Excellent.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Ah yes the monthly "I have no clue what I am talking about when it comes to addiction" derail.

Excellent.

Why don't they just STOP doing drugs? :shrug:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i'm all for druggies taking drugs tho.

as much drugs as they want. a whole smorgasboard if they want

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

THC posted:

Weaver doesn't engage in wacky woo, but he wants "school choice" which will mean kids getting indoctrinated with wacky woo. (Public schools continue to rot meanwhile.) And like Christy Clark he seems to have a personal issue with teachers. Greens: they're bad.

"School choice" is always bullshit. If government funds are going to a school, that school should be secular and should have to accept everyone. Yeah, that means gently caress catholic schools.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
andrew weaver is an autistic shitlord is that not loving obvious

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
We had almost all the south Island NDP candidates at our union local meeting on Thursday, and they (I think it was Rob Fleming specifically) pretty much admitted they wouldn't be able to change the system anytime soon. They felt defunding private schools immediately would just cause chaos and the public system wouldn't be ready to absorb the influx of new students right away. So it doesn't look like the Catholic schools are going anywhere.

Whether the public schools improve enough to attract students back is another matter--anecdotally, quite a few 40-50k a year employees at my hospital are coughing up for private schools because the public system got so bad. They'd probably love to move their kids back if they saw any reason to.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I will donate $1000 to the first person to punch Christy clark in the loving face

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maaaaann the talk radio generation is so pissed off about this legal pot thing. I've not seen this much harrumphing since that soccer hijab thing.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Lurdiak posted:

Maaaaann the talk radio generation is so pissed off about this legal pot thing. I've not seen this much harrumphing since that soccer hijab thing.

Talk radio is almost always bad. Why do you punish yourself? You may as well read the comments on CBC articles.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A bunch of BC election ads on during hockey night in Canada. Boy the Liberal ad is bad. It has Clark talking about integrity and sticking with your convictions etc. It's clearly an attempt to cement her as not a flip flopper, unlike someone else who isn't mentioned. Overall it feels super ineffective because it's overly vague. It's not quite clear what she's talking about. (I searched on YouTube but couldn't find it but here it is on fbook )

In contrast the NDP were much more direct. They were showing two ads, a short one with a nice guy Horgan talking with people and saying he's for regular folks, not billionaires, and another ad (that isn't obviously from the NDP?) that is a tough, direct attack ad against Clark, stating how she takes big donations and insinuating she's corrupt.

The combination of seeing these ads over and over this evening creates the impression that Clark sticks with her convictions, and those are helping her billionaire friends. This probably wasn't the takeaway that the BC Liberals was hoping for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBGCkCcYVlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5big9IvaQ

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 16, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Like your suburban home equity builder gives a gently caress about corruption. Like anyone in BC gives a gently caress about corruption.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

Talk radio is almost always bad. Why do you punish yourself? You may as well read the comments on CBC articles.

I admit to reading CBC comments from time to time and regretting it every instance.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

A bunch of BC election ads on during hockey night in Canada. Boy the Liberal ad is bad. It has Clark talking about integrity and sticking with your convictions etc. It's clearly an attempt to cement her as not a flip flopper, unlike someone else who isn't mentioned. Overall it feels super ineffective because it's overly vague. It's not quite clear what she's talking about. (I searched on YouTube but couldn't find it but here it is on fbook )

In contrast the NDP were much more direct. They were showing two ads, a short one with a nice guy Horgan talking with people and saying he's for regular folks, not billionaires, and another ad (that isn't obviously from the NDP?) that is a tough, direct attack ad against Clark, stating how she takes big donations and insinuating she's corrupt.

The combination of seeing these ads over and over this evening creates the impression that Clark sticks with her convictions, and those are helping her billionaire friends. This probably wasn't the takeaway that the BC Liberals was hoping for.

You're missing the Liberal ad with the elephant that says that whenever the NDP come into power in a province they ruin the provincial economy. The elephant is a metaphor for the "elephant in the room" of the NDP's economic policies, I guess.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

namaste faggots posted:

Like anyone in BC Canada gives a gently caress about corruption.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

Boy, John Horgan is really not a very good public speaker.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Syfe posted:

Ah, yes, because there is no such thing as growing a plant naturally, without grow lamps or hydroponics. And because no one ever grew vegetables or herbs using grow lamps or hydroponics. Must fabricate reasons to ban the evil weed from MAH PROPERTY EQUITY.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Isn't part of the reason for heat lamps and hydroponic setups the fact that growing it or owning it is illegal? If I don't need to hide it as much then I don't need to keep it inside as much, and therefore don't need a heat lamp.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

As far as I can tell, yes. I know plenty of people in BC who have their own plants in the backyard or whatever, or in a pot in their house like a normal houseplant, and it grows fine (if not optimally). Importantly, we're not talking about people growing marijuana to sell, we're talking about people who are growing their own plants so they can smoke every now and then if they want -- you don't need to be growing a lot of plants quickly in order to have enough weed to get stoned on a regular basis.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hmmmm

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Neither of those are original or interesting, you're really reaching here.