Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kiryen posted:

Yeah the problem with the VA is definitely it getting defunded all the time and not swarms of kids with no appreciable problems trying to get those sweet, sweet disability payments.

Also, popular =/= effective. Medicaid is poo poo; you can walk in there and if you're a reservist with no other job forget getting anything because they can't understand DOD pay stubs.

lol that's good poo poo blaming veterans. "good optics" as assholes are wont to say.

edit: support the troops!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kiryen posted:

Yeah the problem with the VA is definitely it getting defunded all the time and not swarms of kids with no appreciable problems trying to get those sweet, sweet disability payments.

I'm pretty sure that's not actually the reason why the VA is poo poo.

The Gay Agenda.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Honestly, trump got elected somehow but if north korea gets liberated i'm on board no matter hiw messy it ends up

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol that's good poo poo blaming veterans. "good optics" as assholes are wont to say.

edit: support the troops!

I'm all for supporting our troops but 13 years of working on a military base has taught me that scamming disability benefits from the VA is loving rampant.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

thank you my friend

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

new phone who dis posted:

I'm all for supporting our troops but 13 years of working on a military base has taught me that scamming disability benefits from the VA is loving rampant.

Yeah, but that's a symptom, not the cause.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

here's a thought: put the money you hosed the taxpayer out of for a fighter jet that never works and use a fraction of it to make veterans' lives bearable.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

here's a thought: put the money you hosed the taxpayer out of for a fighter jet that never works and use a fraction of it to make veterans' lives bearable.

John McCain will say you work for Putin if you suggest that.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
antifa and the alt right can kill each other for all i care. After they're both gone we will be left with true peace.

hardcore gamers, grandmothers, and people with skin colors that aren't white.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dizz posted:

antifa and the alt right can kill each other for all i care. After they're both gone we will be left with true peace.

hardcore gamers, grandmothers, and people with skin colors that aren't white.

you ever try to eat an F-35?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Weirdly, Trump agrees with you.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Does he? I mean he said that but now?

edit: if Trump does this I will say Trump did a good thing and I don't like him but cmon that would be an objectively good thing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Unfortunately, not quite as much as he'd have us believe.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

you ever try to eat an F-35?
I only eat rear end

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dizz posted:

I only eat rear end

You can't hug your children with rear end.

I may have to reverse my position on Trump guys.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Trump is not a fan of the F-35 and neither am I. I'm not a Trump dude but I agree with him there.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trump is not a fan of the F-35 and neither am I. I'm not a Trump dude but I agree with him there.

i thought everyone knew it was a pos boondoggle

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Orkin Mang posted:

i thought everyone knew it was a pos boondoggle

It's extremely complicated within the actual military aviation community. Basically it all boils down to the fact that the Marines should never have been given that much autonomy.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's extremely complicated within the actual military aviation community. Basically it all boils down to the fact that the Marines should never have been given that much autonomy.

they should only make boats no bigger than a jetski

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Orkin Mang posted:

they should only make boats no bigger than a jetski

The navy doesn't need an army.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The navy doesn't need an army.

and yet...

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
you can't expect sailors to fight

have you seen their dress uniforms?!?! lets be real here.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

I'm really surprised that they didn't tell the Marines to go gently caress themselves when they asked for VTOL. That's what they SHOULD have done.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I agree it's an incredibly stupid boondoggle, but Trump really didn't do anything about it. He just claimed that he did.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

I agree it's an incredibly stupid boondoggle, but Trump really didn't do anything about it. He just claimed that he did.

That seems like spin to me.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Majorian posted:

I've been arguing this for months, actually.

no, you really haven't

lol, weak

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That seems like spin to me.

Spin from Trump, yes, and I don't begrudge him trying to take credit for it. But if he doesn't like the F-35, he hasn't done much to cut funding for it. From the Politico piece:

quote:

The main factors driving down the price of each jet include the fact that the military was planning to order them in larger quantities for U.S. forces and allies, according to company and military officials, lawmakers and a POLITICO review of several years of program data. Earlier pressure from the Obama administration and Congress to shave expenses also played a role.

In reality, Obama did a lot more to cut it from the budget, and the Republican House just overrode him:

quote:

The House on Thursday voted to keep funding a second engine for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, defying the White House and Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

Gates has repeatedly threatened that he would personally recommend that President Barack Obama veto any defense bill containing funding for an engine made by General Electric-Rolls Royce that the Pentagon does not want. The Office of Management and Budget on Thursday followed up with its own veto threat in a statement of administration policy.

Both GE-Rolls Royce and primary engine maker Pratt & Whitney mounted vigorous lobbying campaigns in recent weeks aligning congressional supporters on each side. But when the House cast a vote on an amendment to strike funding for the second engine, the supporters of a second engine prevailed by a vote of 231-193.

Homestar Runner posted:

no, you really haven't

lol, weak

On issues like marriage equality, not privatizing social security, raising the minimum wage, and health care, they're actually to the left of where they were in 2007.:ssh:

Like, I know 2016 was babby's first election for you, but the Dems were even more right-wing ten years ago than they are now.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 16, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I work in military aviation. Trump is the first guy correctly claiming we should be buying super hornets instead of the poo poo F-35. Whether it's because he's trying to hook someone up he knows or he just wants to save money, he's not wrong.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

I work in military aviation. Trump is the first guy correctly claiming we should be buying super hornets instead of the poo poo F-35. Whether it's because he's trying to hook someone up he knows or he just wants to save money, he's not wrong.

Or maybe we could stop buying stupid trillion dollar planes like this altogether.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

No, he's not wrong, although Obama tried to properly fund that program too. And Congress, once again, hosed him.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

im not certain but there had to have been some crazy backroom realpolitik poo poo amongst the different services over this plane and that makes me lol. Like a loving scrub tier service like the marines got VTOL how?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Alienwarehouse posted:

Or maybe we could stop buying stupid trillion dollar planes like this altogether.

F-18 super hornets are an older, way cheaper, more reliable and established design. They came out in 1999. They cost a little under a hundred mil each and are fantastically durable aircraft. F-35s can cost up to 3 times more and suck for a lot of reasons. I could probably write a huge effort post over this but it would be mostly poo poo people don't care about.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

it's almost like unbridled capitalism is counterproductive to ensuring the security of our nation sometimes. No but we HAVE to replace the A-10 because... reasons.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Majorian posted:

On issues like marriage equality, not privatizing social security, raising the minimum wage, and health care, they're actually to the left of where they were in 2007.:ssh:

lmao who the gently caress cares

your problem is that you place actual stock in the Dems' token "positions" on social issues that they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into co-opting, and that they will never, ever actually fight for

^ see this right here is undermines your entire premise as a poster

gently caress this party. gently caress Tom Perez. gently caress Schumer.

grow a pair of balls, primary these motherfuckers and bern it down

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

These are legacy f-18s which are not the same as super hornets. They have been extended out past the date where they should have been retired and what you're posting about has to to with the general government shutdown at the time. Work was resumed shortly thereafter These aircraft and the super hornets are the planes I work on. The legacy hornets really, REALLY need to be retired.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

it's almost like unbridled capitalism is counterproductive to ensuring the security of our nation sometimes. No but we HAVE to replace the A-10 because... reasons.

Mostly because it can't operate off of a carrier.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Majorian posted:

the Dems were even more right-wing ten years ago than they are now.

this means literally nothing. u idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

These are legacy f-18s which are not the same as super hornets. They have been extended out past the date where they should have been retired and what you're posting about has to to with the general government shutdown at the time. Work was resumed shortly thereafter These aircraft and the super hornets are the planes I work on. The legacy hornets really, REALLY need to be retired.

I agree with you but you have to admit of course you would say the super hornet will save the world.

• Locked thread