Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

A pop culture understanding of...pop culture?

Isn't a pop-culture understanding of a collection of films kind of exactly what everyone has?

You're not allowed to make a Star Wars unless you've read all the comics and the book about the eighteen Luke clones living in one house and the one where Han fucks a ferret lady and watch the ewok movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

You're not allowed to make a Star Wars unless you've read all the comics and the book about the eighteen Luke clones living in one house and the one where Han fucks a ferret lady and watch the ewok movies.

Unless you've absorbed a critical mass of star wars pop-culture, your understanding will only be pop-culture one.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Roth posted:

Yeah, but you don't need a Jedi Order to have lightsabers and people with force powers.

True, but they have yet to make a Star Wars movie without a Death Star. You think they're ready for a world without Jedi?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've been reading the Marvel Star Wars comics that I haven't read yet, and I just finished the C-3PO one.

I wasn't expecting a comic about C-3PO of all characters to be a suvival horror comic with a dwindling party while the characters ponder what it means to be a droid, but it was kind of amazing?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

I've been reading the Marvel Star Wars comics that I haven't read yet, and I just finished the C-3PO one.

I wasn't expecting a comic about C-3PO of all characters to be a suvival horror comic with a dwindling party while the characters ponder what it means to be a droid, but it was kind of amazing?

I am perpetually amused by how many times that issue got delayed. When it was announced, it was going to have the "Journey to The Force Awakens" banner. By the time it came out, that was long gone and it cost $1 more than originally announced.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Unless you've absorbed a critical mass of star wars pop-culture, your understanding will only be pop-culture one.

You're just not gonna understand enough about Star Wars to make a good Star Wars if you don't do your homework. How can you write Jedi lore if you don't know about the time Luke had a threeway with two ghost women? Can you really write about Tattoonie criminal politics if you don't know the full biography of Jabba the Hutt's son Stinky?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

You're just not gonna understand enough about Star Wars to make a good Star Wars if you don't do your homework. How can you write Jedi lore if you don't know about the time Luke had a threeway with two ghost women? Can you really write about Tattoonie criminal politics if you don't know the full biography of Jabba the Hutt's son Stinky?

The single saddest thing about the EU was when I found out that, according to some terrible novel or something, that fantastic moment in ROTJ, when the A-Wing pilot sacrifices himself to take down the super star destroyer, was exactly what they're supposed to be used for. They were designed to smash into ship's bridges or some nonsense. It was such a sad thing to take a moment that was organic and thrilling and try to create a 'backstory' for it. As if that needed a backstory.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sassassin posted:

KotOR 2 is really bad Star Wars, written by people who admitted to only having a pop culture understanding on what Star Wars was actually about.

Star Wars, infamous for not being pop culture.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

The single saddest thing about the EU was when I found out that, according to some terrible novel or something, that fantastic moment in ROTJ, when the A-Wing pilot sacrifices himself to take down the super star destroyer, was exactly what they're supposed to be used for. They were designed to smash into ship's bridges or some nonsense. It was such a sad thing to take a moment that was organic and thrilling and try to create a 'backstory' for it. As if that needed a backstory.

That's really dumb.

Everybody knows that A-Wings are speedy craft that flank and cause distractions through the safety of their speed.

And Y-Wings are the workhorse of the Rebel fleet. It’s not quick or flashy but it gets the job done. The armor on this ship is extensive, and the shields will protect you from just about anything, which is good, because you won’t be going anywhere fast. The Y-Wing is used mainly as a bomber because it can carry a heavy payload of missiles, torpedoes and bombs. The other important weapon is the topside ION canon, which rather than destroying a target, can disable it for later capture. Our canons have a computer assisted auto-fire feature, so don’t forget that when your in the heat of battle.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

The Clone Wars show is the best EU and even it has some really dumb poo poo. This is nitpicky but I always thought Darth Maul was a pretty good sith name. Turns out Maul is the name his Mommy gave him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Roth posted:

That's really dumb.

Everybody knows that A-Wings are speedy craft that flank and cause distractions through the safety of their speed.

And Y-Wings are the workhorse of the Rebel fleet. It’s not quick or flashy but it gets the job done. The armor on this ship is extensive, and the shields will protect you from just about anything, which is good, because you won’t be going anywhere fast. The Y-Wing is used mainly as a bomber because it can carry a heavy payload of missiles, torpedoes and bombs. The other important weapon is the topside ION canon, which rather than destroying a target, can disable it for later capture. Our canons have a computer assisted auto-fire feature, so don’t forget that when your in the heat of battle.

That's the cool thing about the rebel ships, without any extra information, everything is communicated through their design. The Y-wings are ugly but clearly heavy duty, the A-Wing is fast and zippy, the B-Wing has a shitload of guns, and the X-wing is an all rounder. It's really obvious just from the way they look without anyone saying a word.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

The Clone Wars show is the best EU and even it has some really dumb poo poo. This is nitpicky but I always thought Darth Maul was a pretty good sith name. Turns out Maul is the name his Mommy gave him.

I forgot about that. It's like the reverse of that gag from Rick and Morty about 'Coach Feratu'

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

That's the cool thing about the rebel ships, without any extra information, everything is communicated through their design. The Y-wings are ugly but clearly heavy duty, the A-Wing is fast and zippy, the B-Wing has a shitload of guns, and the X-wing is an all rounder. It's really obvious just from the way they look without anyone saying a word.

I'm just quoting the flavor description of the Y-Wing from Rogue Squadron which has been burned into my memory. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

UmOk posted:

Nah, in Rebels Maul mentions he has a "real" name, but its been so long that he has forgotten it.

Also Y-wings getting turned into slow plodders is the worst thing Star Wars video games ever did. They're as fast as X-wings and TIE Fighters in official RotJ production materials. A bit sluggish on maneuvering, sure, but those fuckers are space hot rods that are nearly half engine, why do they get depicted as SLOW.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Roth posted:

I'm just quoting the flavor description of the Y-Wing from Rogue Squadron which has been burned into my memory. :v:

That's fair. I loved those games. I just think the ship design in Star Wars is really clever, how it communicates everything's purpose without the need for expositary dialogue, it's implicit in the design. I've been playing a lot of space sims recently, and it's something that game designers struggle with.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Wookipedia posted:

By the year 54 BBY, the Nightsister Kycina was the mother of two Dathomirian Zabrak infants, one of whom was named Maul.

I only read the first paragraph of that article and it gave me cancer.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah, in Rebels Maul mentions he has a "real" name, but its been so long that he has forgotten it.

Darth X

Serf
May 5, 2011

Roth posted:

This entire discussion just reminds me of KOTOR 2 and how most non-force users didn't give a poo poo about whether the Jedi or Sith are in power, because to them they're both just groups of religious fanatics.

Much like Bloodlines and Deus Ex, KOTOR 2 is one of those games that I re-install when someone mentions it. The folks who worked on it seemed to get Star Wars more than anyone else who isn't Lucas, and it owns so hard. Shame that it got rushed so badly. With another year or so it would've been a classic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Serf posted:

Much like Bloodlines and Deus Ex, KOTOR 2 is one of those games that I re-install when someone mentions it. The folks who worked on it seemed to get Star Wars more than anyone else who isn't Lucas, and it owns so hard. Shame that it got rushed so badly. With another year or so it would've been a classic.

People have modded in a proper ending, haven't they?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Not so much modded in as "Finished assets that were 90% complete" IIRC.

The game didn't even need an extra year, three more months (Like they'd originally planned for) was all they needed.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

sassassin posted:

Which EU novel was this?

Was it the planet of witches?

The Temple is from The Force Awakens. The map is to the first Jedi Temple, that's where he is.

The teaser trailer for The Last Jedi shows the book.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

The opposite of that, I think. There's the old EU, which is so divergent in structure, theme, tone, and quality that it can only be understood as an accumulation of plot details, most of which emerge from carrying the ideas of the first three films in a very different direction than where the second three continued them. Wookieepedia is the attempt to accumulate all of those details, a project that, taken in aggregate, is obsessed with continuity and indifferent to theme (the least Lucasian stance possible). By treating it all from an "in-universe" perspective, too, it ends up describing it as a sequence of conflicts between rival factions, devoid of any moral context. And if someone comes to you and tells you to make a video game about "Star Wars," and your research leads you to this site which is the most exhaustive resource about what "Star Wars" is, after digesting what it has to say you can certainly conclude it's appalling and make a story about destroying it with moral relativism.

But it's still a pop-culture-based understanding, because it's removed from the source material; it's a response not to the original work but to its echoes in pop-culture, its reduction to mere identifiers, descriptors, and things of that nature that require a minimum of interpretation.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Do you think Snoke's identity will be revealed in this, or do you think we'll have to wait for the third one?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Alienwarehouse posted:

Do you think Snoke's identity will be revealed in this, or do you think we'll have to wait for the third one?

You should prepare yourself for the possibility that his identity is "Snoke"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
I don't really care if he's some other character, but I do want to see more of him.

We probably won't get too much, though. They don't really show the Emperor much until the climax of RotJ, and you don't actually learn much about his past until the prequels.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't really care if he's some other character, but I do want to see more of him.

We probably won't get too much, though. They don't really show the Emperor much until the climax of RotJ, and you don't actually learn much about his past until the prequels.

Clearly you've never heard the story of Darth Plagueis the Wise

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Alienwarehouse posted:

Snoke is Luke's missing hand.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snoke is Ekons backwards.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Snoke is Ekons backwards.

Clearly that means he's all the ewoks piled up under a big cloak.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snowman_McK posted:

A pop culture understanding of...pop culture?

Isn't a pop-culture understanding of a collection of films kind of exactly what everyone has?

A pop culture understanding of Star Wars is lightsabers, space ships, light & dark side, Luke I am your father. Leia's bikini.

Star Wars - the series of films made by George Lucas - is more specific than that. It has themes. The superficial "Star Wars" elements have specific meanings and uses. What do laser swords represent? What does Luke's parentage actually mean in context of his journey?

It has nothing to do with EU material, which was all garbage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

The opposite of that, I think. There's the old EU, which is so divergent in structure, theme, tone, and quality that it can only be understood as an accumulation of plot details, most of which emerge from carrying the ideas of the first three films in a very different direction than where the second three continued them. Wookieepedia is the attempt to accumulate all of those details, a project that, taken in aggregate, is obsessed with continuity and indifferent to theme (the least Lucasian stance possible). By treating it all from an "in-universe" perspective, too, it ends up describing it as a sequence of conflicts between rival factions, devoid of any moral context. And if someone comes to you and tells you to make a video game about "Star Wars," and your research leads you to this site which is the most exhaustive resource about what "Star Wars" is, after digesting what it has to say you can certainly conclude it's appalling and make a story about destroying it with moral relativism.

But it's still a pop-culture-based understanding, because it's removed from the source material; it's a response not to the original work but to its echoes in pop-culture, its reduction to mere identifiers, descriptors, and things of that nature that require a minimum of interpretation.

This, exactly.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm stoked to find out more about Snoke.

I'm snoked.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Snoke is The Last Jedi

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Snoke is a grass type Pokemon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

porfiria posted:

Snoke is a grass type Pokemon.

1138_snoke_weed_erryday

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sassassin posted:

A pop culture understanding of Star Wars is lightsabers, space ships, light & dark side, Luke I am your father. Leia's bikini.

Star Wars - the series of films made by George Lucas - is more specific than that. It has themes. The superficial "Star Wars" elements have specific meanings and uses. What do laser swords represent? What does Luke's parentage actually mean in context of his journey?

It has nothing to do with EU material, which was all garbage.

Star Wars - The series of films made by George Lucas - are also pop-culture. They are essentially the definition of it.

I get what you're saying, but 'pop culture knowledge' was the weirdest possible way you could have phrased it.

Also, if you think KOTOR 2 isn't at least aware of the films' themes (to say nothing of it being pretty critical of them) that's a novel position.

jivjov posted:

1138_snoke_weed_erryday

I really wish I was in on this Snoke.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snowman_McK posted:

I get what you're saying, but 'pop culture knowledge' was the weirdest possible way you could have phrased it.

That's not the phrase I used.

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, if you think KOTOR 2 isn't at least aware of the films' themes (to say nothing of it being pretty critical of them) that's a novel position.

It's a position shared by Chris Avellone. He didn't delve too deeply into Star Wars, and did his own thing riffing off KotOR 1, RPG mechanics-made-text and his usual moral dinginess, with a Star Warsy veneer.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sassassin posted:

It's a position shared by Chris Avellone. He didn't delve too deeply into Star Wars, and did his own thing riffing off KotOR 1, RPG mechanics-made-text and his usual moral dinginess, with a Star Warsy veneer.

And the product was better for it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Steve2911 posted:

And the product was better for it.

It's hard to compare it to a product that doesn't exist.

Maybe that version would have had a real ending instead of a hacked together mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sassassin posted:

It's hard to compare it to a product that doesn't exist.

We have a fair few Star Wars games that stay true to the source material.

• Locked thread