Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Macdeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
the lysistrata program

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Machines Enact The Classics Part VII: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

...oh. oh wait

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The Threezenny Opera

wait that's the wrong SE franchise

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not saying that Tin-touched Androidicus could be basically the same and fit with Taro Yoko's usual style.

I'm just not saying it with very specific emphasis.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Waiting to become Godot

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Richard 2.0

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
apparently SA ate this entire page but

BlackFrost posted:

That will... take some time. But good to know. Thank you!

the not-really-a-spoiler answer is "there's a quest that involves a secret level 99 boss, die to the boss instead of killing it for the missable-forever joke ending"

(that's pretty not-spoilers, right?)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

apparently SA ate this entire page but

the not-really-a-spoiler answer is "there's a quest that involves a secret level 99 boss, die to the boss instead of killing it for the missable-forever joke ending"

(that's pretty not-spoilers, right?)

It's also very easy to accidentally kill the boss while it's self destructing in your swording frenzy. It happened to me, so I just didn't save and redid the whole fight.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Just finished the game in its entirety. loving phenomenal experience.

I only have one question: does anyone have a link to The Dark Id's reaction when the game was announced?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You'll need archives for this.
But it went something like this:

The Dark Id posted:

WHAT?!?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT?!

The Dark Id posted:

Update later today after I collect the parts of my head exploding like that scene from Scanners.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Pefection. Thank you.

It's probably been done to death because I'm late to the party, but I'd just like to talk for a moment about how brilliant the ending is. The entire game has you slowly accepting the seeming fact that all the robots in the game, machine or android, are doomed to an eternal cycle of death, rebirth, and purposeless violence. You get all the endings and it seems like that's going to be the case. You accept the fate that seems inevitable.

Then you're given one tiny chance to give 2B, 9S, and A2 a better ending and it's the first ray of light that's appeared in the entire game. The following segment is hard as hell and you'll die a lot, and every time you die the game asks to submit to nihilism. But you keep suffering through it because drat it, there needs to be some point to it all. There needs to be some silver lining.

You end up killing the 'gods' of the game, both literally and metaphorically. You free them from the programming that would have heartlessly wiped out their existence. You also free them from Yoko Taro/Square/Platinum, who literally created them. And at the end of it all...it's not a perfect happy ending. They're still themselves, which means they have a very good chance at repeating it all over again and letting the cycle begin anew.

But for the first time in their lives, whether they do or not is a choice.
I love this game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you're having trouble on the speed star quest you can use slow pod module on him (which you get from doing the Operator side quest in route B). It only gives you a slight advantage and you still have to plan out the hell out of the third one, but it gave me enough of a advantage to get me through it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kyle McCarley did a stream with Ray Chase and it's on his youtube now. There's a non-gameplay segment near the end where they talk about their jobs as VA's.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Started playing Route C today and got up to when the logo appears. Goddammit, Yoko Taro. :smithicide:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Goddamn playing as 9S is misery. He only has like, one combo and he feels so clunky and his attacks either have no range or have so much range they miss everything unless it's a very specific distance away from you. Please tell me I'm missing something

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn playing as 9S is misery. He only has like, one combo and he feels so clunky and his attacks either have no range or have so much range they miss everything unless it's a very specific distance away from you. Please tell me I'm missing something

9S is definitely a step down from 2B, but if you augment his hacking with a decent Shock chip he rolls over almost everything in the game even better than she can. Spear and Gauntlet weapons might also serve you better than his short sword, because their combos are more focused and don't swing the weapon all over the place.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Calaveron posted:

Hack more

And yes, spears are excellent for him because you can chuck them across the screen for high damage hits that pierce

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Throw on some stun and combust chips and watch poo poo blow up after you hack it

Hacking is a much more powerful attack than anything that 2B can pull off which is why there's no heavy attack.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

9S's physical attacks are a perpetual reminder that you should be hacking instead.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
If I have one regret in this game, it's that I waited too long to get Ending D. I got it and Ending E in one go, but was level 99 at the time so I completely missed the special hacking sequences I heard about since the fight ended after only two.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As 9S, whatever doesn't die to one thrown spear plus how much pod fire you can output in the time it takes to charge, you hack.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

This is my biggest complaint about the game. He ends up being basically the protagonist of the game, but combat is soooooo much less fun with him. Yes you can just hack everything to trivialize combat, but it doesn't make it any more fun and it still feels like you're fighting with one arm in comparison to 2B.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Reminder that 9s does have heavy attacks. You do them by evading and then immediately attacking, or by pausing for a bit in an attack string. I think you can also just hold down R2 as well.

Either way, I found 9s's small sword counter worked wonders on clusters of enemies, and that the small sword had a decent moveset in general. I did most encounters by just hitting things with said sword and had a pretty good time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If your trigger finger ever lets off of R1 for any reason other than charging a pod program you're playing wrong.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Everyone in here acting like this is a character action game with twin-stick shooter elements when it's really the other way around. Hacking is fun and I won't hear otherwise.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I got so tired of 9s combat so very quickly that I simply left it on autoplay and did nothing but mash the hack button. With the right chips you one-shot kill everything almost instantly and their bodies explode to kill the surrounding mob. Add in autoloot and diamond exp buff and merely the hack button + moving occasionally had me drowning in more materials and chips than I could use.

But I still missed stabbing things properly.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Heath posted:

If your trigger finger ever lets off of R1 for any reason other than charging a pod program you're playing wrong.

I put it on L2 instead of R1 because it made it easier for me to do this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I put lock on to R3 because Dark Souls has ruined gaming.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Tarezax posted:

I put it on L2 instead of R1 because it made it easier for me to do this.

Heath posted:

I put lock on to R3 because Dark Souls has ruined gaming.

Why did I not think of these sooner?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I kept instinctually hitting R3 to lock on and it kept throwing the camera behind me so I changed it quickly.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I just got the first ending. Pretty nice run, and I fully expect things to get weird in this second ending run.

How drastically do things change after the first ending? Pretty natural progression into insanity, or do you eventually reach a cliff where you dive headfirst into the abyss?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Shinjobi posted:

So I just got the first ending. Pretty nice run, and I fully expect things to get weird in this second ending run.

How drastically do things change after the first ending? Pretty natural progression into insanity, or do you eventually reach a cliff where you dive headfirst into the abyss?

Both. Definitely both.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh hell yeah.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I just found out you can charge your pods special attacks. You can do 3 laser beams instead of one with your first equip. Gravity specials mean really big and long-lasting gravity bombs, etc. :sweatdrop:

And I'm getting no crashes on nvidia 365.10 for what it's worth. Been over 10 hours so far I think.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

9S can cancel his air combo into another air combo twice and his rising attacks (jump + attack) are all pretty good, also after a down attack his combo can keep going with the last few hits of his ground combo. Holding the attack button throws your weapon, people have already talked about how heavies work. Also check out his bare fists, they have a totally different style from 2B's fists and the weapon throw on them is a projectile that does no damage but knocks the enemy down for ages.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I actually had fun playing 9S as a change of pace, but I was definitely glad that B didn't last as long as A because it does get old. Hucking Type4O spear and constant hacking trashes everything and I was happy to get back to playing 2B and A2.

I really should have tried messing around with combat bracers more, all I really did with that was unequip all my weapons and punch everything once I hit level 99. Some things even take more than 1 hit to die in route C that way :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

use the critical up weapons and everything dies in one hit

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"Item Scanner Chip? I don't know why that would be necessary, it's pretty easy to see all the items and chests around, but i guess i'll equip it anyway"

~a short while later~

"Man, there are a fuckload of chests and items stuck in all sorts of nooks and crannies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I found the area where you first fight Adam and I must've fought a hundred robots in there and is there an end to them or is it just a spot for grinding?