Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:stare:

What the actual gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wrist Watch posted:

:stare:

What the actual gently caress?

shoogaslim tried making an app

E: :lol: the guy hosed up so bigly that his app caused nearly irrecoverable data corruption on a user's unrooted goddamn blackberry priv. They think they narrowed down the culprit to a loving massive app icon being used, which hit a previously unknown bug in Android where the app icon could end up consuming all available memory and then start crashing system processes and then hardlocking the phone, requiring a full on wipe and recovery from the bootloader level.

All because he felt the need to put a 200MB wallpaper-sized app icon in his stupid goddamn game.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 15, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So I got a new phone today and it seems to lack clock widget with weather info like HTC does:

Is there anything very similar to that one that's available at Play Store?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Re: call blocking. The Axon 7 has one as default now (I think maybe added with the Nougat update? On 7.1.1 currently). "Hiya" I think it is? Anyway, it works fantastic and seems to have a good database to work off of.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Speaking of custom titles...wtf Jerk Mcjerkface.

Yeah well I sold some Amazon gcs in an SAMart thread and then after the guy paypaled me the money and I PMed him the real codes I fake posted some made up codes in the thread as a joke. I stuck with the joke and figured I of troll a little bit but YOSPOS picked up on the thread and started trying to prove I was scamming. It got a little out of control.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

SinineSiil posted:

So I got a new phone today and it seems to lack clock widget with weather info like HTC does:

Is there anything very similar to that one that's available at Play Store?

HD Widgets can do this, tons of customization so you can get it looking just like that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yes, but there is only two clocks on that screen. I don't think that's enough.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

tadashi posted:

I have a Galaxy s5. After a recent update, my phone tells me the ringer is in silent mode (it's actually just on vibrate) every time I plug in or unplug the phone. I can't tell if this is a Google thing or an operating system thing. Anyone know how to turn this thing off? It interrupts whatever I'm doing and it's annoying.
I have a Verizon S5 for work and have not ever seen this

comper posted:

Is there really a way to block seeing certain posters?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah well I sold some Amazon gcs in an SAMart thread and then after the guy paypaled me the money and I PMed him the real codes I fake posted some made up codes in the thread as a joke. I stuck with the joke and figured I of troll a little bit but YOSPOS picked up on the thread and started trying to prove I was scamming. It got a little out of control.

Lol drat. Pretty well done since you earned that title. I just read through that thread.

Bluetooth issues are now fixed on my pixel with latest update but new problem came about. Phone will hang when I try to scroll. I think had this issue on a moto or samsung and seems to be an issue with webview and some random app not playing nice

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Humerus posted:

HD Widgets can do this, tons of customization so you can get it looking just like that.

Thanks, but now I have another problem:

Trying to download HD Widgets gives same error 5 minutes after pressing install. After briefly googling the error code I tried clearing Play Store cache and deleting app data which had no effect.
Another thing related to that screenshot: Why do I always get the "Change keyboard" notification when I use one? Can I turn that off without disabling other system notifications?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Disable the other keyboard as an input in settings

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Disable the other keyboard as an input in settings

I had them turned off, but it seems something keeps turning voice typing and Google keyboard on without asking me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

I had them turned off, but it seems something keeps turning voice typing and Google keyboard on without asking me.

It shouldn't, you could try disabling Gboard and see if that stops it

E: disabling the entire app that is

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 15, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Train posted:

It shouldn't, you could try disabling Gboard and see if that stops it

E: disabling the entire app that is
I'll try that.

I figured out how to download the HD Widgets app, had to switch from home wifi to mobile data. Doesn't make much sense to me that one app couldn't be updated and another downloaded with wifi. :shrug:

Edit: I don't see much customizability in this. I can just change font thickness(for just the clock), widget background and if the weather icon is colored or not, not much else.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 15, 2017

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I have the paid version (survey bucks) so maybe that's why? I just threw this together though:

Which isn't exactly the same as your widget but pretty close. Have you tried searching to see if HTC put their stuff on the Play store?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok so I just switched to tmob, in part because of constant ATT updates (2-4 times a month) on my S6 Active that keep breaking functionality that I use.

I got home from the store with my Tmobile SIM card and my phone running fine and immediately got an ATT update that took over my phone for a good 15 mins or so and installed god-knows-what.

Is there a process to put a stop to these ATT updates? This is a phone I've paid cash for, unlocked, and moved to another provider. I thought that switching networks would put an end to ATT taking over my phone but it clearly hasn't. Do I just need to sell it and move on or is there some way I can cajole ATT into not pushing these updates down? The phone can't be rooted, so I am kind of stuck with what I have. Since I'm not on ATT's network, they must be doing some sort of polling on the phone itself when it's online to pull down updates, can that be stopped without having root or am I just stuck?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Humerus posted:

Have you tried searching to see if HTC put their stuff on the Play store?

I have, and nope, those aren't available for non-HTC devices.. :(
I did try downloading their widgets from apkmirror.com, but ones that actually did work on my phone didn't include that one widget I actually wanted.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

revmoo posted:

Ok so I just switched to tmob, in part because of constant ATT updates (2-4 times a month) on my S6 Active that keep breaking functionality that I use.

I got home from the store with my Tmobile SIM card and my phone running fine and immediately got an ATT update that took over my phone for a good 15 mins or so and installed god-knows-what.

Is there a process to put a stop to these ATT updates? This is a phone I've paid cash for, unlocked, and moved to another provider. I thought that switching networks would put an end to ATT taking over my phone but it clearly hasn't. Do I just need to sell it and move on or is there some way I can cajole ATT into not pushing these updates down? The phone can't be rooted, so I am kind of stuck with what I have. Since I'm not on ATT's network, they must be doing some sort of polling on the phone itself when it's online to pull down updates, can that be stopped without having root or am I just stuck?

Those are most likely the Android monthly security updates.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lol 2-4 system updates per month.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Thermopyle posted:

Lol 2-4 system updates per month.

Yep. My wife has a Note4 and doesn't have any of these issues.

So I just tried doing a factory reset, and in order to do so it wants a Samsung login. I've never created one. I have no idea what it wants. If I try to recover the login it asks for my info, I give it, and it says the account doesn't exist.

So I can't even sell this PoS if I can't do a factory reset. Any other options here or do I have a really expensive paperweight?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pixel installs updates in the background and then just lets you know when you need to restart so you can just do it whenever. There's also a restart option in the power button menu so you can just hit that and throw it back in your pocket or back on the desk etc.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Pixel installs updates in the background and then just lets you know when you need to restart so you can just do it whenever. There's also a restart option in the power button menu so you can just hit that and throw it back in your pocket or back on the desk etc.

That only works with phones that ship with Nougat or later out of the box.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

revmoo posted:

So I just tried doing a factory reset, and in order to do so it wants a Samsung login. I've never created one. I have no idea what it wants. If I try to recover the login it asks for my info, I give it, and it says the account doesn't exist.

So I can't even sell this PoS if I can't do a factory reset. Any other options here or do I have a really expensive paperweight?

Use that Samsung tool to flash stock (read: non-carrier branded firmware) to the phone? I'm not a Samsung guy so I don't know if this is possible or would work but it's where I'd start.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

revmoo posted:

If you go to Settings > Cloud and accounts > Accounts > Samsung account (going off of S7 Nougat for the location so it could be different on your phone), is there anything listed? I've never had it ask unless I had a Samsung account active on the phone.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
why are some websites not updating when I visit them? Some websites are stuck on things from a few days ago.

I'm on a g5+

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

why are some websites not updating when I visit them? Some websites are stuck on things from a few days ago.

I'm on a g5+

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You open a new tab, go to a webpage, and it will load that page as it exists.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You open a new tab, go to a webpage, and it will load that page as it exists.

it's not doing that. Like I go to maximumfun.org and it has the most recent update as from 4 days ago and I can't get it to update. stuff like reuters works but others won't. Go on my pc and it's all dandy.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

I'm on a g5+

Did you accidentally hit the download this site button? That could result in what you're experiencing

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Did you accidentally hit the download this site button? That could result in what you're experiencing

yeah ok I think it was this which I'm not even sure how I did but I undid with turning on 'request desktop site'

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, but there is only two clocks on that screen. I don't think that's enough.

For people who are legitimately worried about this Nova Launcher will disable the status bar so you can have between 1 and 0 clocks on your home screen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Roommate has the icon in the middle popping up randomly on his ZTE Grand Max 2. Anyone know what it is? Apparently it's a floating action button but we can't figure out which app is doing it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Roommate has the icon in the middle popping up randomly on his ZTE Grand Max 2. Anyone know what it is? Apparently it's a floating action button but we can't figure out which app is doing it.

If I had to guess, it's related to whatever is also making that dragon/dinosaur icon notification.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

If I had to guess, it's related to whatever is also making that dragon/dinosaur icon notification.

That'd be Dragon Vale World, we're checking now

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

syscall girl posted:

For people who are legitimately worried about this Nova Launcher will disable the status bar so you can have between 1 and 0 clocks on your home screen.

You can do that in stock too using the system ui tuner

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Settings -> Apps -> Advanced (the cog icon) -> Special access -> Draw over other apps

This will give you a list of every installed all that is able to do this, which should narrow it down significantly.

(Note: Your OEM may have moved/deleted that setting if they are incompetent. This is where it is on Nexus/Pixel.)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

You can do that in stock too using the system ui tuner

Never heard of this before but apparently you can't do it with a sarnsung galaxy :toot:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm honestly surprised it isn't an option in the samsung pull down shade options, as every other drat setting seems to be shoved in there

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is pushbullet bad now? I remember people in this thread talking about it a lot a while ago. Looking for a solution for my wife to send texts (including MMS) from her computer.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Looking for phone cases pisses me off
I want a vertical flip cover, but there's only two choices, one that blocks headphone jack and other that looks flimsy. Plenty of horizontal ones, but they all block volume buttons that are on the left for whatever reason, ughhhh.

It was way easier with my old HTC One Mini, headphone jack was on top and volume rocker on right side, got a perfect flip case for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Vertical flip cases or just back covers are my only option #lefthandedproblems

I'm pro-volume keys on the left though.