Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Caufman posted:

It's a choice to take the body and blood, as you already see. I don't always take the Eucharist every time I attend Mass. It is an examination of my conscience, a moment to pray about my own apostolic story, whether I have one, and what is it like. I pray right up until the moment I am before the host, and with the best wisdom I could obtain from the Holy Spirit, I make a choice. Often I'm content just to receive the grace of a general blessing, grace which I have to do nothing to earn, the grace of witnessing the memorial of our brother Yoshua's last supper. Sometimes I take the Eucharist, and at some point later I will remember that all the people who originally shared that meal with him would go on to live imperfect lives.

Here's to doing our best! Enjoy the Vigil Mass; it's so beautiful in a way we all hope is pleasing to our father in heaven.

I, not surprisingly, take a slightly different approach to it. Someone in the last thread called me the most Catholic agnostic they ever talked to which seems a little on the nose. I'm not a believer but that's not why I wouldn't take communion, at least not exactly. I respect the institution of the church and the belief of those who practice it and me rocking up, saying the right words, and having the host is as disrespectful in my eyes to believers as it would be for me to toss on a borrowed military uniform to try to get free food at IHOP. It's demean your faith and the earnest soul-searching that you do every mass.

Her faith's important to the person that I'm seeing and I want to respect that while taking part in it, in my own small way. Mostly with lots of joking involved at my own expense.

I do appreciate the honest and forthright answers from y'all.

HEY GAIL posted:

well if he feels like it he could also go to confession

I was about to say "i already have a therapist" but then it dawned on me that a healthy, open relationship with a confessor might have the same positive impact and be cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was never into the "personal relationship with the confessor" aspect of things. go in, say your peace, get out, get on with your life. if only everything could be as simple as that

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
when i'm not in confession i can hang out and chat with my priest, chill out, it's really good. when i go to confession i recite my sins and he absolves me, takes about two minutes. dunno why we lock up like that but can have a good relationship at all other times

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Senju Kannon posted:

i was never into the "personal relationship with the confessor" aspect of things. go in, say your peace, get out, get on with your life. if only everything could be as simple as that

I'm still not. It's why I don't like confessing face-to-face; it feels like going to therapy, or being in the principal's office, or both at once, and it makes me super-conscious of how I phrase things and whether the priest looks disappointed or worried and am I fidgeting and should I not be and... yeah, no, I'll kneel behind a screen thanks. :j:

HEY GAIL posted:

well if he feels like it he could also go to confession

Okay. Yes. That's true, though good luck finding a priest not too busy to hear confessions on Holy Saturday (I've known priests who insist they aren't allowed to hear confessions on Holy Saturday). And yes, he could resolve to go to confession on Easter Tuesday (the soonest he'd be likely to find an available priest). But I feel like anybody who's asking the thread maybe should be told no, and then if they're really inwardly impelled to receive anyway, can find a confessor afterwards.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
tonight a bishop in a funny hat put some nice smelling oil on my forehead and called me moses the black and I became Catholic

liturgigoon thread: not even once

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Many years!

I was baptised and all that jazz a year ago. My OCD/whatever it is that I'm having didn't make it the easiest of years, but here I am, half and hour before the mass. Gonna drink my pill and go bitch about dreaming of a white Easter because climate change is awful why is there snow

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Phlegmatist posted:

tonight a bishop in a funny hat put some nice smelling oil on my forehead and called me moses the black and I became Catholic

Grats, and happy Roman Easter goons!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Grats, and happy Roman Easter goons!

funny enough both western and eastern Easter are the same day this year!

He is risen!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If any man be devout and love God, let him enjoy this fair and radiant triumphal feast. If any man be a wise servant, let him rejoicing enter into the joy of his Lord. If any have labored long in fasting, let him now receive his recompense. If any have wrought from the first hour, let him today receive his just reward. If any have come at the third hour, let him with thankfulness keep the feast. If any have arrived at the sixth hour, let him have no misgivings; because he shall in nowise be deprived thereof. If any have delayed until the ninth hour, let him draw near, fearing nothing. If any have tarried even until the eleventh hour, let him, also, be not alarmed at his tardiness; for the Lord, who is jealous of his honor, will accept the last even as the first; he gives rest unto him who comes at the eleventh hour, even as unto him who has wrought from the first hour.

And he shows mercy upon the last, and cares for the first; and to the one he gives, and upon the other he bestows gifts. And he both accepts the deeds, and welcomes the intention, and honors the acts and praises the offering. Wherefore, enter you all into the joy of your Lord; and receive your reward, both the first, and likewise the second. You rich and poor together, hold high festival. You sober and you heedless, honor the day. Rejoice today, both you who have fasted and you who have disregarded the fast. The table is full-laden; feast ye all sumptuously. The calf is fatted; let no one go hungry away.

Enjoy ye all the feast of faith: Receive ye all the riches of loving-kindness. let no one bewail his poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed. Let no one weep for his iniquities, for pardon has shown forth from the grave. Let no one fear death, for the Savior’s death has set us free. He that was held prisoner of it has annihilated it. By descending into Hell, He made Hell captive. He embittered it when it tasted of His flesh. And Isaiah, foretelling this, did cry: Hell, said he, was embittered, when it encountered Thee in the lower regions. It was embittered, for it was abolished. It was embittered, for it was mocked. It was embittered, for it was slain. It was embittered, for it was overthrown. It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains. It took a body, and met God face to face. It took earth, and encountered Heaven. It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.

O Death, where is your sting? O Hell, where is your victory? Christ is risen, and you are overthrown. Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen. Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice. Christ is risen, and life reigns. Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in the grave. For Christ, being risen from the dead, is become the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. To Him be glory and dominion unto ages of ages. Amen.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Chirst is risen!

I crossed my arms and got a cross drawn on my forehead.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Christ is risen, who by death hath trampled death and won for us life eternal. To Him be the kingdom and the glory, forever and ever!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Христос Васкрсе!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

funny enough both western and eastern Easter are the same day this year!

He is risen!
He is risen indeed!

(To be fair they don't call it Easter, it's just us Latins and y'all Protestants :v:)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He is risen, indeed!

Ваистину васкрсе!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It feels a bit selfish on this most important of days, but I'd appreciate prayers for my health. It's been a rough winter and now I'm dealing with a massive allergic reaction to something, I'll have a better idea later this week.

I should be able to attend Easter picnic, at least :unsmith:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Pellisworth get well soon!

JcDent posted:

Christ is risen!

I crossed my arms and got a cross drawn on my forehead.

I went to get a blessing at communion today and it went pretty well, I'd recommend it. I went up, the priest kind of held up the host, I said "nonononono" and he gave me a blessing. It's a two-step process where the priest first draws a cross on your forehead while saying a blessing, and after that he kind of pats you on the head. Maybe that last part is only when you're really cute :j:

Christus resurrexit ~

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

If any man be devout and love God, let him enjoy this fair and radiant triumphal feast. If any man be a wise servant, let him rejoicing enter into the joy of his Lord. If any have labored long in fasting, let him now receive his recompense. If any have wrought from the first hour, let him today receive his just reward. If any have come at the third hour, let him with thankfulness keep the feast. If any have arrived at the sixth hour, let him have no misgivings; because he shall in nowise be deprived thereof. If any have delayed until the ninth hour, let him draw near, fearing nothing. If any have tarried even until the eleventh hour, let him, also, be not alarmed at his tardiness; for the Lord, who is jealous of his honor, will accept the last even as the first; he gives rest unto him who comes at the eleventh hour, even as unto him who has wrought from the first hour.

And he shows mercy upon the last, and cares for the first; and to the one he gives, and upon the other he bestows gifts. And he both accepts the deeds, and welcomes the intention, and honors the acts and praises the offering. Wherefore, enter you all into the joy of your Lord; and receive your reward, both the first, and likewise the second. You rich and poor together, hold high festival. You sober and you heedless, honor the day. Rejoice today, both you who have fasted and you who have disregarded the fast. The table is full-laden; feast ye all sumptuously. The calf is fatted; let no one go hungry away.

Enjoy ye all the feast of faith: Receive ye all the riches of loving-kindness. let no one bewail his poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed. Let no one weep for his iniquities, for pardon has shown forth from the grave. Let no one fear death, for the Savior’s death has set us free. He that was held prisoner of it has annihilated it. By descending into Hell, He made Hell captive. He embittered it when it tasted of His flesh. And Isaiah, foretelling this, did cry: Hell, said he, was embittered, when it encountered Thee in the lower regions. It was embittered, for it was abolished. It was embittered, for it was mocked. It was embittered, for it was slain. It was embittered, for it was overthrown. It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains. It took a body, and met God face to face. It took earth, and encountered Heaven. It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.

O Death, where is your sting? O Hell, where is your victory? Christ is risen, and you are overthrown. Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen. Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice. Christ is risen, and life reigns. Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in the grave. For Christ, being risen from the dead, is become the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. To Him be glory and dominion unto ages of ages. Amen.

Same.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

pidan posted:

Pellisworth get well soon!

I went to get a blessing at communion today and it went pretty well, I'd recommend it. I went up, the priest kind of held up the host, I said "nonononono" and he gave me a blessing. It's a two-step process where the priest first draws a cross on your forehead while saying a blessing, and after that he kind of pats you on the head. Maybe that last part is only when you're really cute :j:

Christus resurrexit ~

No pat on the head, must be a reserved for cute people

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
exhausted, drunk. god bless all you goons

there's at least one syrian in my church this week :unsmith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good Lord that was a lot of chocolate and coffee on the snack tables in the church lobby this morning. And I saw the crate after crate of Easter eggs staff/volunteers are spreading around the adjacent county park for the kids' egg hunt.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Haec Dies quam fecit Dominus. Exultemus et laetemur in ea. Alleluia!

Happy Easter Liturgigoons! He is risen!

The Phlegmatist posted:

Congratulations! Many years!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Ha-haa, death! Ha-haa!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thought I'd post this comic here, also. It's a Russian comic from 1936 by an immigrant in Paris. It's supposed to be a child's drawing. On that year, like today, Orthodox and Catholics celebrated Easter on the same day.

1. [Russian store] Two days ago we've seen an actualle Frenchman on Rue Daru. I swear to God! Everyone was very amased! (Russian immigrants usually lived in tight communities, even 20 years after the revolution, hence the amazement)
2. Mum's bought some red caviar. They say since bolshevicks everyone eats only red caviar, but before that black caviar was also prodused in Russia. (red caviar is just cheaper than the black, and the boy's mother doesn't want him to understand their relative poverty. Russian immigrants in Paris, even those who used to be wealthy aristocrats back in Russia, rarely maintained their status abroad. Most of them would become taxi drivers, waiters, etc)
3. This year the French selebrait Paskha on the same day as we do. After all those years, they've finally learned the right day from us!
4. Piotr Ivanovich and Vladimir Nikolaevich were very noisy and played gitar in the street. A gendarme was saying something about a station to them, but they couldn't understand, because they're done with the Stations of the Cross and just celebrating. (in the original, it's a play on words 'fast' and 'station', which are both 'post' in Russian)
5. In France they give each other a kiss of peace any day except Easter. I've seen it many times in metro and everywhere. (it's an early Christian tradition that was and is still somewhat observed on Easter in some Orthodox churches. It is scandalous to Russian immigrants, though that the French openly display their affection)
6. We had many ghuests, and I only got a small piece of pork. They said because I was small, but I think its because the piglet was small!
7. Boris Grigorievich has brought some flowers for my mum, and complained that both Easters are on the same day, because flowers are very ecspensive because of that.
8. Mum said there were so many people at the church and an apple had nowhere to fall. She fainted and fell over. So how is that ther was no place for an apple but there was place for her? I don't anderstand!
9. [TERM .... Apr 15] Our landlord, though, ruins all our holydays, which is not good! Right after the Russian New Year we get the Term, and than now after Paskha also the Term. (the family is behind on their rent, so the landlord threatens to throw them out)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Good Lord that was a lot of chocolate and coffee on the snack tables in the church lobby this morning. And I saw the crate after crate of Easter eggs staff/volunteers are spreading around the adjacent county park for the kids' egg hunt.

I lost the plastic eggs I was going to have my kids look for. I told the 5-year-old "can you hunt for the easter eggs in the storage boxes?" but he wasn't interested :v:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Joyeuse Pâques, mes frêres et soeurs! It is good to be able to share the joy of Easter and faith in Christ with you guys. Coming back from mass, I realized my folks seem to have an abject fear of any kind of discussion of faith: they seem to be obsessed with keeping religion personal amd private to the point of never having shared it with me beyond taking me to mass. Heck, they get upset at me and shout at me whenever I talk about religion at all- last night they even scolded me for enthusing with my grandmother on the subject over dinner.

Which is to say, thanks, friends, you've been wonderful and a source of great joy and fellowship in my journey of faith.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
(all the candles in church are blown out and the lights turned off.)
(in darkness:) "Come receive the light / Which will never be overtaken by night / And glorify him / Who has risen from the dead!"

which is my favorite part of the liturgy

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Mine's the Gloria, when the lights are turned on and all the big candles are lit and all the stops are pulled for blowing you the gently caress away: organ at full power, church bells ringing, altar servers going hog wild with their bells, the congregation singing at the top of their lungs and this year we even had a timpanist showing off his instrument :allears:

I had three Masses within fifteen hours, none of which was under two hours. I didn't think being a choir singer was that hard a job! :v:

Christ is risen, you all! :)

genola
Apr 7, 2011
Christ is risen! Happy Easter y'all!

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Smoking Crow posted:

Hell. Yes. :pcgaming:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Likewise a wonderful Triduum in Glendale. Maundy Thursday and The Great Vigil were particularly on point. When the lights came on and the tryptic was thrown open it was very moving. We also read Chrysostom's homily, blessed be.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
if Lutherans excel at anything, it's acappella sacred music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVnvN3EVxY

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 17, 2017

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

if Lutherans excel at anything, it's acappella sacred music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVnvN3EVxY

St. Olaf really is absolutely top notch. They're the gold standard of a disciplined, expressive American choral ensemble, with an astonishing range of tone colors. That exceptional command of tone color is what really sets American singing apart from classical European choirs, and St. Olaf is a wonderful embodiment of that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bel_Canto posted:

St. Olaf really is absolutely top notch. They're the gold standard of a disciplined, expressive American choral ensemble, with an astonishing range of tone colors. That exceptional command of tone color is what really sets American singing apart from classical European choirs, and St. Olaf is a wonderful embodiment of that.

American Lutherans are extremely into sacred music, especially vocal and brass. I dunno why that is, but there are a boatload of small private Lutheran colleges in the upper Midwest with amazing music programs. I almost went to St. Olaf but got a scholarship at a similar Lutheran college.

Christmas Vespers were a massive performance and ticket-seller. And I played trumpet on Easter :)

edit: I dragged HEY GAL to Easter at my Lutheran church last year, she can attest to how awesome the brass was. The attendance was a bit depressing (it's better where I am now) but wow the music was great.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I don't know if it means anything to you guys, but our parish choir has a pretty decent director and we play with a Casavant Frères Organ :shobon:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

ok what is the music nerd word for that chilly, pure, remote sound boys' choirs get? is that the absence of "tonal color"
because that's my fav

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

edit: I dragged HEY GAL to Easter at my Lutheran church last year, she can attest to how awesome the brass was. The attendance was a bit depressing (it's better where I am now) but wow the music was great.
this was the same place that had a mosque across the street from a chinese protestant church across the street from a large gun store. :patriot:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Caufman posted:

How does it compare to what it was like before your initiation?

Reflecting on these past ten years, where I thought I would be at this point, the theological/philosophical thought that shaped me, those in my community who have showed me great love, my health, all of it together feels like I am living correctly. What I mean is, living with faith and community was something missing from my first 19 years of life, and when I chose to live the life of religion I finally started living as the complete Thirteen Orphans.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

System Metternich posted:

Mine's the Gloria, when the lights are turned on and all the big candles are lit and all the stops are pulled for blowing you the gently caress away: organ at full power, church bells ringing, altar servers going hog wild with their bells, the congregation singing at the top of their lungs and this year we even had a timpanist showing off his instrument :allears:

I had three Masses within fifteen hours, none of which was under two hours. I didn't think being a choir singer was that hard a job! :v:

Christ is risen, you all! :)

:same:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Reflecting on these past ten years, where I thought I would be at this point, the theological/philosophical thought that shaped me, those in my community who have showed me great love, my health, all of it together feels like I am living correctly. What I mean is, living with faith and community was something missing from my first 19 years of life, and when I chose to live the life of religion I finally started living as the complete Thirteen Orphans.

I feel the same way, oddly, but it took for maybe 28 of my years until I realized that the Church was a family for us all! Bless you, my friend, for feeling it so early!

Heck, to be completely honest, I wasn't ever happy until this year. I took Ecclesiastes 9 to heart and it changed my life. Working hard is all I can do -worrying about things beyond my control is pointless: if I may, I want to share something that quite utterly has changed my life in the last 6 months:

"Go, eat your bread with enjoyment, and drink your wine with a merry heart; for God has long ago approved what you do. Let your garments always be white; do not let oil be lacking on your head. Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, all the days of your vain life that are given you under the sun, because that is your portion in life and in your toil at which you toil under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do with your might; for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going. Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to the skillful; but time and chance happen to them all. For no one can anticipate the time of disaster. Like fish taken in a cruel net, and like birds caught in a snare, so mortals are snared at a time of calamity, when it suddenly falls upon them."

I am getting married in July. I got a dispensation and we are getting married civilly, until we can be married in a Church proper. She is the best person I have ever known, and I know God loves her, even if she knows it not. I don't have any power over my fate, nor hers, but I know that the best I can do to make myself aright with the Lord is to do my best, and it is exactly that I shall do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

ok what is the music nerd word for that chilly, pure, remote sound boys' choirs get? is that the absence of "tonal color"
because that's my fav

no, that sound is the tonal color most characteristic of boys' choirs. it's unique because it's bright and piercing but, as you said, also remote because it's not made with the kind of forward vowel placement that's required for grown men and women to produce a bright tone. english cathedral choirs and european boychoirs are the great masters of this, but they'd sound very silly singing, say, an african-american spiritual with that kind of color.

• Locked thread