Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Tired Moritz posted:

also being a girl in umineko sounds like a poo poo deal.
Pros: You get some really cute anime dresses
Cons: Patriarchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

ZiegeDame posted:

First thing that's been bugging me, a bunch of people seem to have trouble remembering character's ages, so here's a handy chart:

George is 24
Battler, Jessica, and Shannon are 18 (Battler is exactly 18 years, 2 months, and 19 days old as of October 4th, 1986 incidentally)
Kannon is 16

Shannon is 16, actually.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That was the most cheerful of Easter updates.

Unless we want to hypothesise a witch, I can only see 3 possibilities, and I can't even follow the third through to a solution, though it seems important.

1. Genji did it. If we assume that Genji, like the other servants (and presumably Battler, as he'd now head and therefore a Kinzo), has multiple names, as that seems to be an Ushiromiya servant thing, then the red text Genji never left the mansion after 24:00 could be dodged in the same way that we've been implicating Kanon and Shannon, with name death. It'd be entirely possible for him to get to the guesthouse and back by 1:00. Though that means that he then couldn't have killed Rosa. We could posit that Genji or the body that the personality Genji inhabits was never sealed in the waiting room after 1:00, and was placed there by Kanon and Kumasawa in the morning when the crime was discovered, after he had committed suicide in the guesthouse after murdering the others. Kumasawa, being in the guesthouse, would have had the opportunity to transfer the corpse after her seal was broken in the morning. The servant's working together is entirely believable, but I don't have good whydunnit.

2. peas' theory is right, and one of the cousins/Rosa did it and was subsequently murdered.

3. The people in the dining room aren't who we think they are. This is more an observation than a theory at this point, but the game goes to great lengths to not tell us in red who's in the dining room. I can't work out what it gains from this, but it's perfectly happy to describe the state outside the dining room more or less perfectly, but it will always refer to everyone left as "the others" or "all of the people in the dining hall". The simple fact that it doesn't give us a list of names in red makes me hugely suspicious, it's not just this trial either. I went back for reread of the knocking section too, and Lambda does exactly the same dodge there. That said, even though I think this is probably a key point, I can't work out how this could lead to a solution, as the red text seems to rule out anyone in the dining hall interfering with the murders anyway. I can't even see anyone being missing, as we get a non-exclusionary list of people outside the mansion, Genji, Krauss and Natsuhi in the second floor corridor and everyone else in the dining hall. It's annoying. It really feels like this is the right route towards an answer, I just can't see where you go from here. E: To be precise, I guess the blue version of this allowing it to be misleading both ways is: The following statement is false: At 24:00, every one of Ushiromiya Battler, Ushiromiya Rudolf, Ushiromiya Kyrie, Shannon, Kanon, Ushiromiya Eva, Ushiromiya Hideyoshi and Ushiromiya Rosa existed in the dining hall, and no other people existed in the dining hall.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 16, 2017

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
So George is 24 and...

Rune Full Moon posted:

Shannon is 16, actually.

:chanpop:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh god. And I thought that power dynamics in that relationship were weird before...

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Aww poo poo someone's about to throw down Rule 1 The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow.

ProfessorProf posted:

"...Then perhaps refusing your request will be my final strike back at you..."

Oh hey, where have we heard this before, I wonder...

Rune Full Moon posted:

Shannon is 16, actually.

Prof posted:

Jessica stood up from the bed and opened the door. There stood a servant girl who was definitely about our age.
Our age = same as Jessica and Battler = 18
Don't go trying to make George look skeezy by making Shannon younger than she already is.

Following off of CottonWolf, the mystery of the midnight knocking still hasn't been solved. I've got nothing to contribute beyond my disappointment that Lambda ruled out any sound not made by a human hand, because that letter contained a heavy golden ring such that if it were thrown against the door it'd probably make an audible knock. Thus was born the short-lived life of Hypothetical Hidden Catapult X.
Maybe there's weasel room there though. Like, if someone were wearing that ring and knocked normally, it's possible only the ring would contact the door. And in this way we can say the ring hitting the door creates the sound of ordinary knocking with a hand.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 16, 2017

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

ProfessorProf posted:

"Let me hear some nice screams. It's the wine you've been fermenting all this time."
"...Then perhaps refusing your request will be my final strike back at you..."
"Yeah! I made her say it! Uhihihahaaah!! The best screams always come from a girl who's just said some tired line like that."

If I recall, Bern is referencing a Line she told the main villain of Higurashi, right before being brutally murdered. I think she may have learned all the wrong lessons, from that experience...

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

ZiegeDame posted:

Our age = same as Jessica and Battler = 18
Don't go trying to make George look skeezy by making Shannon younger than she already is.

Actually, in that very same update Shannon mentions that she's been a servant since she was six years old, and that she's been a servant for 10 years. She's 16 years old.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CaptianKatsura posted:

Actually, in that very same update Shannon mentions that she's been a servant since she was six years old, and that she's been a servant for 10 years. She's 16 years old.

Where does it say this? All I can find is

quote:

{Battler} "Six years ago, you might've been mistaken for a servant's daughter who lent a hand at your parent's work, but now you're a full-fledged adult servant. How many years has it been?"
{Shannon}"Yes, I've had the pleasure of serving this household for ten years."

Six years ago is not the same as six years old

e: ok, found it "Maybe it's like a servant's 'professional name' or something. If so, I can kind of understand why that Kanon-kun's name sounds the way it does. She's a long-term servant who's served here since she was six years old. Since her body had changed radically, she didn't match my memories, but I got acquainted with her six years ago." Which kinda contradicts previous statements, and I'm gonna want a confirmation from a witch that this isn't just a typo or translation error.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 16, 2017

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Which begs the question of why the gently caress anyone would take on a 6-year-old servant. Wasn't it stated before that the Fukuin kids only get to work on Rokkenjima if they are at the top of their classes? Surely that didn't mean "shoelace tying" or "recorder playing" classes or whatever first graders do.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

From the same update:

"Maybe it's like a servant's 'professional name' or something. If so, I can kind of understand why that Kanon-kun's name sounds the way it does. She's a long-term servant who's served here since she was six years old. Since her body had changed radically, she didn't match my memories, but I got acquainted with her six years ago."

So she started working at age six, and he met her six years ago both. She's sixteen.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
for some reason, I thought Jessica was 16 and was confused why her classmates were gushing over a 14 year old.

Honestly, I'm surprised that George is so old, considering how the characters were amazed that he acted like an adult so much.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 16, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rune Full Moon posted:

So she started working at age six, and he met her six years ago both. She's sixteen.

The EP1 translation Prof used is the original one. For comparison's sake, here's the updated one that the Steam version uses:

She's 紗音. ......The kanji for her name are read as "Shannon". Now here's another name that's far from typical for a Japanese person. Back in the day, I was a kid myself, so I accepted her name without paying it much attention. Thinking about it now though, her name's pretty unusual, even though she's not a member of the Ushiromiya family. ...Maybe it's like a servant's `professional name' or something. ...If so, that might explain why her name's so similar to Kanon-kun, that kid I met earlier in the rose garden. She's a long-term servant who's served here since she was six years old. Her appearance had changed so much that I couldn't match her to the person of my memories, but we both knew each other six years ago.

Notably, "I got acquainted with her six years ago" was changed to "we both knew each other six years ago". They had met even earlier than that, of course, since Shannon had been working there for four years before Battler stopped attending.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rune Full Moon posted:

From the same update:

"Maybe it's like a servant's 'professional name' or something. If so, I can kind of understand why that Kanon-kun's name sounds the way it does. She's a long-term servant who's served here since she was six years old. Since her body had changed radically, she didn't match my memories, but I got acquainted with her six years ago."

Aha, but what if she two years off where she wasn't performing child labor. Then this statement, and the one about her being the same age as Battler and Jessica can both be true...

Yeah, it's a stretch, but absent a red truth there's no way to be sure, so I'm inclined to go with whichever interpretation makes all the statements equally true. It doesn't matter in the end, since either way she's too young to be 1967-Beatrice's daughter.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Battler doesn't say that they're the same age, he says that they're ABOUT the same age. He doesn't recognize Shannon at first and was estimating, so I think we can give a pass on give or take two years.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

ZiegeDame posted:

Aww poo poo someone's about to throw down Rule 1 The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow.

I've been thinking about this since Natsuhi took the POV role in this chapter, been trying to remember who hasn't had their own POV shown so far?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

ZiegeDame posted:

It is forbidden to use Red in this thread that has not already been stated in the text of the game. The above was not declared in red at any point.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
You're right, my bad. Tis merely a bold prediction, not fixed truth.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tired Moritz posted:

for some reason, I thought Jessica was 16 and was confused why her classmates were gushing over a 14 year old.

Honestly, I'm surprised that George is so old, considering how the characters were amazed that he acted like an adult so much.

Yeah, I had him down as around 20. Does Japan have massively different expectations as to when people reach maturity?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

CottonWolf posted:

Unless we want to hypothesise a witch, I can only see 3 possibilities, and I can't even follow the third through to a solution, though it seems important.

4. No crime was committed last night. Literally everyone but Natsuhi and Krauss was in on it. This would also explain why Erika and Eva discussed ways to make the alibis solid, and decided to use the seals. If they create the illusion that something happened, then they can claim ailbis for a crime that didn't occur. This is the only way I can see that literally everyone has an alibi.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, I had him down as around 20. Does Japan have massively different expectations as to when people reach maturity?

I think you become a full legal adult at 20? So, if Battler, Jessica, Maria, Shannon, or Kanon did any murders, Japanese newspapers wouldn't be allowed to release their names and would have to call them Boy A or Girl B or whatever.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Kinzo still confirmed for being an rear end in a top hat.

Big thing for mystery-solving this time is that Krauss is dead, killed after the whole wake-up time. Note that does not in any way absolve him of the murders on the first twilight. Simply means someone else murdered him and Hideyoshi.

And yeah, George being 24 and Shannon 16 makes that even more eyebrow-raising than it already was.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

No, you really, really haven't. You've proven (maybe) that everyone one else has an alibi, so from your view that's who dunnit. That doesn't resolve the how dunnit at all. Indeed, you haven't even tried to resolve the how dunnit. You've presented no theories, no murder weapon.

Also, this is a silly way of disproving Beatrice too. Heck, you're kind of doing her work for her - if you can find alibis for 16/17 people, then Beatrice only has to find an alibi for one more and suddenly a witch did it. Or prove she didn't do it some other way.

Natsuhi sure could use an actual lawyer to defend herself. Though I think the first thing the lawyer would argue is that the judge is hostile and also imaginary.

Oh, and Kinzo not thinking Natsuhi deserves the one winged eagle is not a surprise. I'm amazed that people are treating this like a revelation. Guy was a pretty thorough misogynist.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Meh. It depends. 24 and 16 sounds bad, but 35 and 27 doesn't, and 84 and 76 isn't even noticeable. Both my sets of grandparents had 15 years between them. That's a gap.

The most interesting thing in that update is Beatrice hinting at a motivation:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

CottonWolf posted:

3. This is more an observation than a theory at this point, but the game goes to great lengths to not tell us in red who's in the dining room. I can't work out what it gains from this, but it's perfectly happy to describe the state outside the dining room more or less perfectly, but it will always refer to everyone left as "the others" or "all of the people in the dining hall". The simple fact that it doesn't give us a list of names in red makes me hugely suspicious, it's not just this trial either. I went back for reread of the knocking section too, and Lambda does exactly the same dodge there. That said, even though I think this is probably a key point, I can't work out how this could lead to a solution, as the red text seems to rule out anyone in the dining hall interfering with the murders anyway. I can't even see anyone being missing...

Maybe one of the servants is also "Beatrice the Witch", who might need to be included among everyone even if she's "just" a personality instead of an actual distinct being, and that one of the members of the family (or perhaps even a servant) is also "Kinzo the Family Head" instead of being the actual person named Kinzo.

With this possibility, the servants of the mansion might work the same way, being given a name that fits with their status as "Furniture": thus, we have the very weird prospect of one named person technically being multiple people with different names. For example, "Furniture" becomes "Gohda" so long as they work in the kitchen as a chef or "Genji" if they have the most seniority of all the servants, and maybe also "Shannon" when they're nervous or "Kanon" when they're calm and have no specific duties.

Thus, through the magic of names, people can do things that should be impossible: for example, a servant can become "Erika the Intellectual Rapist" (I can't get over that, it's just so wrong) by being introduced as such by the other servants: that might even allow the culprit to become the detective without violating Knox's rules, as the culprit would still be another identity altogether. Or maybe everyone just has syphilis because of Kinzo; at least that might explain why witches like to end their games with goat-man gang bangs.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Qrr posted:

Oh, and Kinzo not thinking Natsuhi deserves the one winged eagle is not a surprise. I'm amazed that people are treating this like a revelation. Guy was a pretty thorough misogynist.
That's not really the point. The red truth itself isn't a revelation at all. Kinzo is dead before the start of the game, so of course he didn't actually say that to her in EP1 or any other time.

That moment is more to highlight how loving nasty Bern is. She's already won and dishonored Natsuhi's pride by framing her for a crime, but now she's also digging into Natsuhi's heart and crushing it. It's no different than how she denied the scene of Beatrice drinking tea beside her. Of course we know Natsuhi isn't really drinking tea with Beatrice, but was it necessary to destroy that bit of happiness Natsuhi had in her heart? Bernkastel says "yes" and proceeds to do so.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Ghost Kinzo might had said it. Magic is real.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

lotus circle posted:

That moment is more to highlight how loving nasty Bern is. She's already won and dishonored Natsuhi's pride by framing her for a crime, but now she's also digging into Natsuhi's heart and crushing it. It's no different than how she denied the scene of Beatrice drinking tea beside her. Of course we know Natsuhi isn't really drinking tea with Beatrice, but was it necessary to destroy that bit of happiness Natsuhi had in her heart? Bernkastel says "yes" and proceeds to do so.

Bernkastel, the Witch of Miracles aka "Miracles don't exist and I will poo poo on you for even thinking that they might".

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Tired Moritz posted:

Ghost Kinzo might had said it. Magic is real.

Thank you, I'm glad we have someone with some sense in this thread

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cyouni posted:

Bernkastel, the Witch of Miracles aka "Miracles don't exist and I will poo poo on you for even thinking that they might".

Bernkastel is just another example of the abused becoming the abuser. Only in this instance the abuse gave her magic powers.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cyouni posted:

One in a million odds mean that for every time you succeed, there are 999,999 fragments where you failed miserably.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

:siren:Video: Battler VS Dlanor:siren:

:siren:BGM: Resurrected Replayer:siren:

"What is unsatisfactory about the court's RULING...? Do you possess any new evidence or truth sufficient to request a RETRIAL...?"
"...Gah..."

I get it. Dlanor is offering me a helping hand. If she hadn't jumped in here, it'd all be over. And now, I fully understand how I'm supposed to fight. But because I understand how, I am unable to fight right now. After all, I can't win by simply countering Erika's truth.

If I want to deny her truth, I'll need to present a different one... And I still don't have a clue what that truth is...!

"There is nothing that is not healed with TIME. And there is no truth that cannot be reached if you spend enough time SEARCHING."
"...However, all trials have a limited time in which the truth must be DECIDED. Therefore, a truth that cannot be reached within that limited time cannot become TRUTH."

...Yeah, I know that...!! By now, everyone is certain that Aunt Natsuhi is the culprit. It might be too late now, even for the real truth...! Aunt Eva's violence will probably go unstopped, and no one is even thinking about protecting Aunt Natsuhi. It's no longer a situation where we can say 'oh, the truth will eventually be found'.

And in this world, the time remaining to expose the truth... is very short. It's already 24:00, at the game's end. The police won't come. The truth won't be revealed! Only the truth decided upon here and now will remain...!

I slowly stood up, walked in front of Beato, and faced Dlanor. I have no plan. I don't know the truth. However, if I don't jump in now, I won't get another chance to fight...

The red used by Erika's group is mercilessly strict. I seriously doubt that I can put together a truth where Aunt Natsuhi isn't the culprit without violating that red...

"...Why the uncertain FACE? How PATHETIC."
"D, dammit..."

"I'll be the one to kill you. I want to keep that promise. And yet, right now, I don't have any plan at all..."
"...That's okay... In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth... doesn't exist anywhere..."
"Now this is a splendid scenario, Dlanor. It just wouldn't be interesting unless a knight appears before the princess's execution."
"...And there's nothing better than watching heads roll before your very eyes! Erase the old piece and the unneeded player all in one go!!"

"D, dammit, I've got nothing more to lose... If you wanna see me struggle, here you goooooooooooo!!"

The only reason Erika's theory is so strong is because of those seals. She was given red so quickly just because Lambdadelta easily bought the alibis created by those seals. But the seals aren't red truth! Just sticking paper in a door crack is far from perfect. There's no way something like that can prove anything with 'certainty'...!

:siren:BGM: Final Answer:siren:

"Oh, and I'll mix the leftovers from your precious sister into that pile. Wouldn't that make for a wonderful stack of meat? Then we can wrap it up in a dumpling, steam it and maybe add some soy sauce!!"
"No, the best way would be to fry them in a pan with some eggs and ketchup!!"

"D, dammiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittt!! Can't we doubt the reliability of these seals of Erika's?! Something like wedging some paper in a door can't create a perfect alibi! It might be that someone noticed by chance and happened to put it back in the same place...!!"

The blade of my blue truth should have slashed diagonally through Dlanor's chest. However, Dlanor's expression didn't budge in the slightest, and there wasn't a single wound on her chest.

"I was wondering what you'd throw out there, but this is ridiculous..."
"...Allow me to explain. This is what I sealed the doors with. Did you think this was paper, Battler-san?"

Erika once again held up the thing that looked like brown paper.

"Furthermore, I wrote my signature, which cannot be reproduced, across the entire tape, as well as the door and the frame on either side. Therefore, it's impossible to tear it off without leaving a mark, and it's impossible to reattach too...!"
"Permission to unsheathe the 'Red Key'."
"Granted."

"I'll acknowledge Erika's seals...! However, Aunt Eva's seal on Genji-san's room should be different!!"
"Eva's seal was of the same type as <Miss> Erika's. That is because this method of sealing was one that <Miss> Erika and Eva conceived of together after DINNER."
"Erika said something about a scientific investigation and fished through the chemicals in Grandfather's room, right?! There might have been some kind of solvent in there!! If you used that, you might be able to tear off the duct tape without leaving fingernail marks!!"
"Please, allow me to speak. It is impossible to tear off any of the seals by any method without leaving marks."
"Please, allow me to speak. There were no suspicious marks on any of the seals...!"
"Therefore, it's been proven that nothing was done to any of the seals. Repeat it!!"
"Yes, gladly. All of Erika and Eva's seals were not tampered with in any way that hindered their ability to act as seals, such as being scraped off."
"...Dammiiiiiiit, drat you, leaving duct tape that leaves marks all over the place...!"

Dlanor isn't my only enemy. There's also her subordinates, Gertrude and Cornelia. And also Erika and her master Bernkastel. And even Lambdadelta, the one who hijacked Beato's game! Everyone in this cathedral is an enemy.

That fierce rush of red immediately repelled my feeble truth. It's obvious why. I don't have any alternate truth. Even at this final stage, I have nothing...

BGM: Patchwork Chimera

"...Gah..."

If I only knew a truth that could prove Aunt Natsuhi's innocence... If I could only make a theory that weaves its way through Erika's red... Dammit, I don't know anything!!

"...Do you have any chance of winning...?"
"...I left it at home. Mind if I go back and get it?"
"I have already lost. I am prepared for my fate."
"...I promised that I'd kill you. So I won't let anyone else do it. I'll definitely keep that promise...!!"
"Liar. I'll never trust your promises again."
"Huh? When did I ever make a promise to you and lie about it...?"

Beato let out a shrill cry, overcome with laughter. It was a broken laugh, and tears streamed down her cheeks. Battler's words would no longer reach her ears. She kept on laughing insanely, like a broken record...

"Is it OVER? PITIFUL. I truly am DISAPPOINTED, Ushiromiya Battler...!!"
"Hyahhahahahahahahahaha, hiihhahahahahaha haahahahahhyahahahahahaaaaaahh!! Kill me, Dlanor!! Slice me in half with that red longsword of yours!! Hyahhahahahahahahahahaahhaaaaaaahhh!!"
"Nn, nngaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhhh!!"

"Knox's 3rd. It is forbidden for hidden passages to EXIST! As the detective, <Miss> Erika sealed all ENTRANCES. Passages that the detective cannot find are hidden PASSAGES. Therefore, there are no entrances that <Miss> Erika cannot find!!"
"I present the possibility that Erika's lookout in the lounge wasn't perfect!! During the two hours Erika spent there, she really observed everything without looking away for a second?! It might be possible for someone to have passed through the lounge during a small gap without at least Erika seeing them!!"
"Please, allow me to speak. Lady Erika's lookout in the lounge was perfect. There were no small gaps or carelessness or times when she looked away for even a second."
"Please, allow me to speak. Therefore, during their entire meeting in the lounge, only Rosa went up to the second floor!"
"But was that really Aunt Rosa herself?! There's a possibility that someone disguised themselves as Aunt Rosa!! Or maybe she was actually holding a large suitcase with someone hiding inside it!"
"Knox's 10th, it is forbidden for a character to disguise themselves as another without any CLUES! There have been no hints suggesting that someone had disguised themselves as Rosa! Furthermore, Erika has confirmed that she wasn't carrying any luggage large enough to hide a human IN!"
"Aunt Natsuhi was being threatened by someone!! The uninvited, unknown guest X is the true culprit!! How can you be sure that we are the only ones on this island?! The true culprit is someone else!"

"Maybe they were killed with poison in a remote murder!! Umm, with a strange drug that can make a cut appear in someone's neck when they die...!! That type of murder has a delayed effect, so even with an alibi-"
"Knox's 4th. It is forbidden for unknown drugs or hard to understand scientific devices to be USED!!"
"There's a chance that there existed a murder device X in the cousins' room and Genji-san's waiting room that made a remote murder possible...!! It had some secret mechanism that still hasn't been discovered, and-"
"Knox's 8th. It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not PRESENTED!!"
"Anyway, there exists a culprit other than Aunt Natsuhi!! If you want to deny that, try and repeat in red that 'none of the characters shown were the culprit'!!"
"Knox's 6th. It is forbidden for accident or intuition to be employed as a detective TECHNIQUE!!"
"You say that everyone except Aunt Natsuhi has an alibi?! You're forgetting one person!! Who's gonna prove that Erika herself has an alibi?!!"
"Knox's 7th. It is forbidden for the detective to be the CULPRIT!!"
"Unless she's caught red-handed, you should never be able to deny the possibility that Aunt Natsuhi is innocent!! Can you even deny future possibilities, like if a piece of evidence X that Erika hasn't discovered proves Natsuhi's innocence?!"
"Knox's 8th. It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not PRESENTED!!"
"Th, this tale is filled with malicious lies!! The tale itself has become a trap to capture Natsuhi! The tale should be constructed only from impartial truths!!"
"Knox's 9th. It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and interpretations be heard!"

"Everyone committed suicide...!! So there is no culprit!!"
"Please, allow me to speak. All deaths were homicides."
"Erika didn't personally examine the corpses, right?! It should be possible for people who aren't the detective to make a mistake when examining the corpses!!"
"Please, allow me to speak. Know that no examination of the corpses could have been mistaken!"
"Then maybe there were body double corpses!! They prepared corpses beforehand that closely resembled the victims...!!"
"Know that no corpses exist except those of characters who have appeared in the story."
"Th, then why can you claim that Uncle Krauss is dead without his corpse?!! Doesn't that violate Knox's somethingth or whatever?!!"
"Know that the red truth is simply truth, and there is no need to provide evidence or proof!!"

BGM: Hikari

In the face of these insane arguments, any attempts to overturn the truth where Aunt Natsuhi is treated as the culprit are completely meaningless. Each time I brandished my desperate blue truths, Dlanor and the others' red truths knocked me down to the floor. It was getting hard to even stand back up again. Does that mean... my body is telling me that I'm about to surrender... to the truth where Aunt Natsuhi is the culprit...?

Their red truth is getting more and more perfect... Each time I think I can slip through a chink in their armor, Dlanor smacks me down with the red longsword of Knox...

"...Beato..."
"That's enough, Battleer... Now, the endless torture that torments me... no, us... will finally end. Let us fall together into the depths..."
"...Gah..."

I don't... want to see Beato like this... Her majesty as the ruler of the Golden Land... her enthusiasm as my rival... are completely gone. She's just a pitiful woman who's been trampled over and who has lost all hope, with tears streaming down her face and a tragic smile that I can't bear to look at...

"Does your truth no longer EXIST?"

"...And that is a different truth, where Natsuhi isn't the CULPRIT?"

...That's not it. All I can do is prove that Aunt Natsuhi isn't the culprit. After that, I can't show what the real truth is at all...

"...But even so, maybe at least you'll be saved that way."
"Why...?"
"...I can show without a doubt that Aunt Natsuhi isn't the culprit. However, I cannot show a different truth. If Erika's truth is dispersed, the crime will return to darkness, and there might still be room for you to exist."
"Yeah, if you can do it. But if you can't show a new truth, that means you're incompetent and useless as a player. I'll have you vanish from this game board for all eternity."

At this point, the Game Master is Lambdadelta, and she's there too. This probably doesn't mean losing a single game, but being banished from this game for all eternity for losing. From what the witches have said in the past, I can faintly imagine the place 'pieces' are sent when they're banished. It's known as the depths of oblivion, an eternal darkness that lies on the far side of an eternal oblivion and where there is no concept of life or death... I'm going to disappear, aren't I...

However, Beato will remain. As long as Beato remains, no matter how suspicious Aunt Natsuhi is, there will always remain space for the witch to be the culprit... in other words, room for Aunt Natsuhi to not be the culprit. As long as that space exists, someone will eventually expose the truth. It doesn't have to be me. Anyway, eventually, someone will smash this fake truth to pieces...! I understood that this was the time for me to abandon myself for the sake of this other person who would eventually appear, for the sake of the real truth...

"...Well, it looks like I'll have to break my promise to kill you after all."
"Don't. Don't leave me as the only one alive. I'll disappear with you. Let that be your final tribute to me. I beg you, if you just do this one thing, I don't need anything else..."

BGM: None

"Quickly, perform his requiem. That way, I'll have an open field in which to expose Natsuhi-san's sin."
"These guys really are interesting. Beatrice. Ushiromiya Battler."
"...But I've gotten tired of this. You aren't needed in 'our game'."
"*giggle* *giggle* *giggle*, ehehehehahahahahahahahahahah!! Do it, Dlanor!!"
"This is the END. If you still have one last bit of power, let me see you muster it now, in your last MOMENTS...!"
"Nn, nnnggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagghhhhh!!!"

It's small, but it's a sparkling red truth. The last trump card that Virgilia gave me...!! Erika... this takes your theory back to square one...!!

"If you can, why not go ahead?"

Take thiiiiiiiiiiis!!!

The red truth is simply truth, with no evidence or proof needed...!! This will make Dlanor stagger...!! Even if that's all it does, it's the first and last strike I can make...!!

...Huh...? My... red truth... was blown away by Dlanor's red longsword...

"...In this court, if anyone other than witches is going to speak the red truth, they'll have to construct an appropriate proof for it. Erika has been following this procedure, right...?"

True, Erika hadn't used the red herself even once so far. She always told Bernkastel, who is a witch, to repeat her statements...

"Your red truth isn't something you obtained for yourself. It's a supernatural truth given by a paranormal being. In other words, it isn't reasoning. It's no better than a random thought..."

I, in that case, if I have Virgilia... say the same red truth...

Where is... Virgilia...?

BGM: String Trio #600 Million in F Sharp Minor

No, it's impossible... I just have the truth that Aunt Natsuhi isn't the culprit... without any basis or evidence.

"...See...? Real truth... is a very fragile thing. Does real truth exist...? And is it necessary...? Even without it, the tale will continue on... Battleeer..."
"Come on, Battler. Prove the red you have SHOWN. If you cannot, this is GOODBYE."
"...Then, goodbye. Sorry, Beato."

BGM: None

The detective, Furudo Erika, accused the culprit, Ushiromiya Natsuhi. There are three riddles that the detective must explain.

The first is the 'who dunnit'. Who is the culprit? As previously stated, it is Ushiromiya Natsuhi.

The second is the 'how dunnit'. How did they carry out the crime? During the hour between 24:00 on October 4th, 1986 and 1:00 the next day, Ushiromiya Natsuhi went to the cousins' room on the second floor of the guesthouse and the servant waiting room on the first floor of the mansion. There, she carried out the murders. It is only possible for the crime to have taken place during that hour, and for that one hour, alibis have been proven for all characters except Natsuhi.

In that instant, Beatrice became a golden splash and faded away, and her former minions disappeared as well. As the heartless witches looked down at the cathedral's center, laughing coldly, all that remained was Battler, with the red longsword sticking through him, and Dlanor.

BGM: Spiral

"...Rest in PEACE, Ushiromiya Battler. What a SHAME. I thought you were a more capable person than THIS."
"...Guh..."

Battler blew bubbles of blood, closed his eyes slowly, and expired...

Dlanor stared on in silence, then turned on her heels when she saw his life leave him.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

die the desu

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
RIP Battler. Again.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Er... Well. Um. That's sure not how I expected that to go.

Did Virgilia set him up?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Aww, I really thought Erika has to explain who the mystery caller is

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Wow Battler sure is incompetent.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

tiistai posted:

die the desu

Sentence to desu! GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DESU!!!

...ahem. Dang it, Dlanor really does look like a little kid in that picture. I'd like to think she's just putting on the "MWAHAHA, I am evil!" act because 1) it's her job and 2) she likes play-acting. Because she's a KID.

It's easier to deal with after that tea SCENE. :unsmith:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tired Moritz posted:

Aww, I really thought Erika has to explain who the mystery caller is

The only people who could have made it are the cousins (we know there's a telephone in their room), or Kumasawa and Gohda (if they have telephones in their rooms). Everyone else has an alibi. Kumasawa was supposedly asleep, though that was never stated in red. We know Gohda didn't make the call the following morning, though that doesn't rule him out for the previous night. Genji seemingly looks like he could have done it, but considering that when Genji finished transferring the call, he immediately returned to the waiting room, he couldn't have possibly made it, because talking occurs after transferring, and he immediately did something else.

So if you could prove that none of them could have done it, you could also prove either the existence of an extra person, or the absence of a person from the dining hall, which would then break all the alibis. I don't buy any of the cousins as the caller just because how you you explain that to everyone else in the room. Kumasawa would have to use a voice changer, but that's possible, as is Gohda, basically as is.

Also, to update my (wholly unconvincing) Genji theory in light of the fact that all the murders were homicides:

Genji or the body that the personality Genji inhabits was never sealed in the waiting room after 1:00, and was placed there by Kanon and Kumasawa in the morning when the crime was discovered. He waited in the guesthouse overnight and was killed the following morning by Kanon or Kumasawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Skylight posted:

Sentence to desu! GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DESU!!!

...ahem. Dang it, Dlanor really does look like a little kid in that picture. I'd like to think she's just putting on the "MWAHAHA, I am evil!" act because 1) it's her job and 2) she likes play-acting. Because she's a KID.

It's easier to deal with after that tea SCENE. :unsmith:
She has an ideal work-life balance that is highly respected.

• Locked thread