Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

GlyphGryph posted:

You can actually enforce that if you edit your species file directly. Theres an option to disallow duplicate portraits. Weird that you can check it normally

Does that keep it kosher for ironman / achievements if I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm probably just blind but how the hell do I purge pops from a planet? I don't want to kill all of them, just a few, but there's no obvious button to do it. Under Set Rights there's a purge type dropdown that helpfully tells me the pop is not being purged.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So some of my humans got left behind in the great cybernetic leap forward but I can't gene mod the because it says they have 0 trait picks left. I think my humans just have way too many traits from creation and the game won't let me add more, even though I have the points for it and and cyborgs should be a 0 point cost.

Is this something I can mod out to fix?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm probably just blind but how the hell do I purge pops from a planet? I don't want to kill all of them, just a few, but there's no obvious button to do it. Under Set Rights there's a purge type dropdown that helpfully tells me the pop is not being purged.
You can't any more. Whole species only. If you want to deal with pops of a particular faction, you have to suppress them instead.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Talkie Toaster posted:

You can't any more. Whole species only. If you want to deal with pops of a particular faction, you have to suppress them instead.

I just want to make room for some overseers, this is dumb

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Talkie Toaster posted:

Christ, this will take 20 years! Is there anything I can do to make purging xenos more efficient?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Change the purge type to extermination. I think it defaults to forced labor, which takes a long time to kill them off.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Change the purge type to extermination. I think it defaults to forced labor, which takes a long time to kill them off.

Ah good call. Death squads only take 5 years to finish the job. Much better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I'm hearing a lot about how cruisers are better than battleships because spinal mounts suck? Can someone explain that to me?

I'm having a ton of fun with my battleships armed with arc emitters, but I'm curious.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Does the game have some code that makes moons more likely to be tidally locked? Because that may be a mistake, tidally locking a moon to its parent planet means that it's not going to be tidally locked to the star that gives it light.

In other news my space otters were inspired by the limbo event chain and decided to go full synth. Still haven't needed to use sectors because of limited expansion opportunities, but I'm the top empire now, even eclipsing the xenophobic FE that cut off expansion options. Unlocked all the tech and could probably roll over the whole galaxy if I wasn't pacifist. Waiting for something big to happen now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

illectro posted:

Does the game have some code that makes moons more likely to be tidally locked? Because that may be a mistake, tidally locking a moon to its parent planet means that it's not going to be tidally locked to the star that gives it light.

In other news my space otters were inspired by the limbo event chain and decided to go full synth. Still haven't needed to use sectors because of limited expansion opportunities, but I'm the top empire now, even eclipsing the xenophobic FE that cut off expansion options. Unlocked all the tech and could probably roll over the whole galaxy if I wasn't pacifist. Waiting for something big to happen now.

Actually if you watch the star systems none of the planets move, I think they might ALL be tidally locked!!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I finally saw what the actual name of the Hive Mind government type is, Collective Consciousness, and it reminded me of something.

...now I kinda wanna do an Armstrong In Space dealie.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hey guys, I'm pondering ways to differentiate wide and tall empires. Specifically, I'm thinking the point of divergence should be taking the Voidborne ascension perk.

So far I'm thinking having two exclusive perk chains: Voidborne leading on to megastructure creation, with a couple of upgrade perks to drop costs and speed construction, and enable high-density ringworlds (shamelessly stolen from Utopia Expanded). The final upgraded ringworld would have 8 to 12 segments of 25 tiles each (Utopia Expanded goes to 8 but looking at the model, 12 would fit).

The other (mutually exclusive) Planetbound tree unlocks terraforming, with speed upgrades (and improvements to habitability?), culminating in the ability to restore tomb worlds and create Gaia worlds (even upgrade existing colonies to Gaia level, with enough time/credits).

The completion of either perk tree would unlock the ability to create fallen empire production structures (i.e. tier 6) but only on ringworlds (not habitats) for the Voidborne, and on Gaia worlds only for the Planetbound

tl;dr: move terraforming tech to a series of related perks and make it incompatible with megastructures

Thoughts?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

GotLag posted:

Hey guys, I'm pondering ways to differentiate wide and tall empires. Specifically, I'm thinking the point of divergence should be taking the Voidborne ascension perk.

So far I'm thinking having two exclusive perk chains: Voidborne leading on to megastructure creation, with a couple of upgrade perks to drop costs and speed construction, and enable high-density ringworlds (shamelessly stolen from Utopia Expanded). The final upgraded ringworld would have 8 to 12 segments of 25 tiles each (Utopia Expanded goes to 8 but looking at the model, 12 would fit).

The other (mutually exclusive) Planetbound tree unlocks terraforming, with speed upgrades (and improvements to habitability?), culminating in the ability to restore tomb worlds and create Gaia worlds (even upgrade existing colonies to Gaia level, with enough time/credits).

The completion of either perk tree would unlock the ability to create fallen empire production structures (i.e. tier 6) but only on ringworlds (not habitats) for the Voidborne, and on Gaia worlds only for the Planetbound

tl;dr: move terraforming tech to a series of related perks and make it incompatible with megastructures

Thoughts?

Honestly, to make it work there either needs to be more ways to unlock ascension perk slots, or you need to decouple them from ascension perks altogether, especially if you want wide empires to get them because they can't get enough unity. That's one of the things that's making megastructures not worth it.

Edit: Honestly, I don't know why they explicitly tied the two together to begin with, Ascension Perks and Traditions, I mean, because the latters strong enough to stand on its own, and effectively cuts out expansionistic empires from even getting the ascension paths/perks

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 16, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Utopia Expanded adds four perk slots, and four repeats on the ascension slot technology to access them.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

GotLag posted:

Utopia Expanded adds four perk slots, and four repeats on the ascension slot technology to access them.

Yeah, but those all seem to be late game (at least, I haven't seen any of them on the games that I've played), and that's the problem. There needs to be at least one or two research chains for earlier in the game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Things were going nice in my last playthrough, but some frustrating bits messed everything up.

First, I love the mod that lowers the prerequisites for space habitats. It goes well with my robot focused empire of weak intelligent butterflies. We'll all live in space and produce energy and science, while the planets will be filled with robots making minerals and food. I was going for a "tall" happy pacifist empire hiding in the corner of the galaxy, and it was working out well.

Unfortunately I started off right next to a hive mind. So pacifist xenophile that I was, I needed to gear up for war really early and after a harrowing fight just barely managed to defeat them while I could still annex them in one go.

And then they all died. I didn't know I was waging a war of extermination! I guess that's something my species didn't know either... we tried to liberate them but they all slowly wasted away when we decapitated their hive. It was a tragedy (and a kind of wonky game mechanic) but one I was willing to roll with and RP.

I even started researching gene modding as soon as they started dying, but it was too late to save them.

Then I got refugees from a distant empire that had been conquered by fanatical purifiers. That was really neat. They were going to be wiped out if it weren't for me, and they moved into one of the hive mind's planets right before the last one died out, which left me with one planet in a dumb spot, but a really interesting story.

Unfortunately these (adaptable) tropical refugees weren't well suited to the arctic planet they moved to. So some of them moved to my other colonies... but they're repugnant.

So I've got repugnant, poorly adopted refugees scraping by on this planet... and the gene modding tech. This is an easy fix, right?

Nope, for some reason you need access to a species homeworld to gene mod the ones in your empire. What the heck is up with that? Their homeworld is currently being purged by cute fanatical purifier geckos with a ridiculously massive empire.

So my question is- if a species is purged off of their homeworld, can you modify them? Can I wait this out or is the situation kinda hosed?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dallan Invictus posted:

I actually haven't gotten to deal with an Unbidden invasion that's gotten out of control. I'm not sure how you would do that after the rework.

I had to deal with an unbidden invasion once, that took about 20% of the galaxy before I could finally get to it (huge rival empire between me and it). I tried sniping the portal first, but that proved to be very dumb, because they quickly had 6 fleets and I had to retreat, and lost another 10% of the galaxy to them. 2nd time, I just went for their fleets that were closest to my own empire (huge rival empire was tiny by now and begging me to vassalize them so I'd protect them).

This turned into me killing about 1.5 million total worth of fleet power with my ~100k sniper fleet. Since I was a pretty big hive mind empire keeping the battleship production up wasn't too hard for a bit, but I was starting to worry when I was down to 60k and they still showed no sign of stopping. After the first million or so killed, replacement fleets stopped pouring constantly into the system I was fighting in, and I was able to slowly start killing the anchors, and after I killed a few, it got much easier to keep up.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Honestly, I'd like to see the perk slots have a variety of unlock methods, killing a leviathan, destroying an FE/AE/Crisis, going through the precursor event chain (the current reward for it, just giving a bunch of unity, just seems like a roundabout method to try to achieve that).

I'd say make just plain destroying an empire worthy of it, but that seems too easy to game. Maybe only if they're similar in size?

Basically just giving incentive to do stuff.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 16, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly, I'd like to see the perk slots have a variety of unlock methods, killing a leviathan, destroying an FE/AE/Crisis, going through the precursor event chain (the current reward for it, just giving a bunch of unity, just seems like a roundabout method to try to achieve that).

I'd say make just plain destroying an empire worthy of it, but that seems too easy to game. Maybe only if they're similar in size?

Basically just giving incentive to do stuff.

Maybe unlocking traditions instead of perks, with increasing costs for each level? For example killing fleet power, invading planets, winning wars, trade deals, surveying systems, researching anomalies, discovering techs, all of these could become targets for players who select specific traditions.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Has anyone figured out how rulers get experience/gain levels yet apart form philosopher king or electing a scientist/gov etc.

Mostly asking for Empire governments where you cant do that unless you reform.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

If you're not keeping your fleet ratios in line with this:

then I just don't know what to say.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
4C:3D:2C:1B is the only ratio that matters. :colbert:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Just got an event where my science ship fell into a black hole. Guy wont talk about what went on in there, but he now has the psionics trait. As a fanatic materialist/xenophile, can I actually draw any of the psi tech cards, or is it forbidden?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

A Tartan Tory posted:

0C:0D:1C:0B. :effort:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

BadOptics posted:

Snail fleet?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

People saying that the game ends before you can get into all the endgame techs: do you play with the maximum galaxy size?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BadOptics posted:

Got the horizon signal too eh?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Is "gently caress it all cruisers" actually viable? I'm a galaxy full of assholes and there's a fanatical purifier at the northern arm steadily eating everyone so I need to get to battlestations relatively soon.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BadOptics posted:

1 corvette, 1 frigate, 2 destroyers and 3 battleships is pretty bad. But 377 corvettes, 233 destroyers, 144 cruisers and 89 battleships might actually be a good ratio.

I just keep things simple and use 10:20:30:40 ratios/

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

spectralent posted:

Is "gently caress it all cruisers" actually viable? I'm a galaxy full of assholes and there's a fanatical purifier at the northern arm steadily eating everyone so I need to get to battlestations relatively soon.

Last game that went far enough I went all cruiser and it did the job well. I'm unsure if a carefully maintained ship balance might'be done better, but as a basic unit of murdering poo poo the cruiser is fine.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Pure cruiser is fine, you can transition to something like 1:2 battleship:cruiser later too if you want to. With arc emitters and medium weapons on the cruisers that composition deals decently with pretty much anything.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Ok so, is there like a tutorial or youtube series you guys recommend for noobs since the utopia release?

I played at release and crushed the galaxy multiple times with all variety of builds, but now I can't achieve anything past the first war.

I blocked an empire into a bottleneck with a Frontier Outpost at start, then built up making sure to stay at max fleet cap at all times. I had 7 planets, they had 1 and their fleet power was the same as mine. What the gently caress, I lose my first fleet to them in a straight up battle and then manage to bottle them back up because they camped above a world with max defence armies I hastily built up. I rebuilt my fleet, though wasn't enough to take on their fleet and spaceport at the time.

Two rival empires declared on me, so I decide I'll deal with the initial war before pivoting to deal with them. I attempt to take on the fleet which is now 1.5k plus their 1k spaceport and lose my entire fleet before even thinking about the new war. After that I checked and the new war participants had 4k fleets each.

I have no idea how to play this game any more, I'm not on hard or aggressive or anything I just don't have the first idea what the change.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Fellblade posted:

Ok so, is there like a tutorial or youtube series you guys recommend for noobs since the utopia release?

I played at release and crushed the galaxy multiple times with all variety of builds, but now I can't achieve anything past the first war.

I blocked an empire into a bottleneck with a Frontier Outpost at start, then built up making sure to stay at max fleet cap at all times. I had 7 planets, they had 1 and their fleet power was the same as mine. What the gently caress, I lose my first fleet to them in a straight up battle and then manage to bottle them back up because they camped above a world with max defence armies I hastily built up. I rebuilt my fleet, though wasn't enough to take on their fleet and spaceport at the time.

Two rival empires declared on me, so I decide I'll deal with the initial war before pivoting to deal with them. I attempt to take on the fleet which is now 1.5k plus their 1k spaceport and lose my entire fleet before even thinking about the new war. After that I checked and the new war participants had 4k fleets each.

I have no idea how to play this game any more, I'm not on hard or aggressive or anything I just don't have the first idea what the change.

Are your ships all using starter tech or something? I don't see how you could have 7 times the utilized cap as another empire and lose that badly. Spaceports shouldn't be an issue at that point either.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I just had the Enigmatic Observers ask for a pop of my Hive Mind species.

That will immediately die because they have no friggin idea how they work.

Still! Goin for it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Palleon posted:

Are your ships all using starter tech or something? I don't see how you could have 7 times the utilized cap as another empire and lose that badly. Spaceports shouldn't be an issue at that point either.

I was using reasonably basic tech this time, I didn't built many specific science buildings above the basic level so didn't get much research, mainly focused on generating enough minerals to stay at fleet cap. I was using T2 guns and thrusters but still T1 other things, I have no perspective of if that's good or bad.

I feel like my problem is an inability to balance things properly.

Here's a screenshot of the general state of things, I was playing Fanatic Purifiers this time in an attempt to have a fleet that was superior to at least some one planet nobody.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

So I was having a great time taking the full robo path, finally transformed all my pops into synths and it was glorious. Then it dawned on me that from now on I have to build every single pop manually

Never doing this again :gonk:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Not sure why you didn't win the first engagement (maybe you didn't have deflectors/shields?), but spaceports are pretty dangerous until you get a large corvette fleet with a mix of DD's.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A Tartan Tory posted:

This talk made me check my own fleet ratio. Turns out I'm actually rather close just by random chance: I have a 1B:2,5C:3D:4C ratio. The only difference seem to be my torpedo cruisers: I always put a couple extra in each fleet, which seems to throw off the ratio a tiny bit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is it possible to play with a tiny empire? I have 3 systems and am really happy with them but honestly don't feel like building more colonies. Is there any way around the tiny fleet cap and influence (for frontier posts). I strangled my neighbor to death and made them a vassal but I can't compete with anyone else's fleets.

• Locked thread